Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot Suffers Practice Injury Thursday

freakofthesouth

Guys who are diminishing this potential loss on Sunday are off their rockers. Smoot allows us to do things almost no other team in the league can accomplish in coverage. If he can't play it's a CRUSHING blow for us. I think he'll be able to play though :).

Thw WP has indicated it's unlikely Smoot will play. He only has two days to recover - he WON'T play. The only minor concussion is one someone else suffers.

This will one our first tests of how we do with injury/matchup challenges. Obviously the gints will try to take advantage of the hole Smoot's absence creates. Their receivers aren't HOF's but they run crisp disciplined routes and collins if he gets on a roll is very precise. Bauman, Jimoh, and Terrell are just going to have to step it up as will the whole rest of the D.

I'm willing to lay money he plays. I've had severe concussions and played. Just tape a picture of Hilliard on Smoot's chest in case he can't remember what he's supposed to do and get him out there. I don't know how severe this is obviously but if it's just a concussion he'll be playing. If it's causing lots of brain swelling and bleeding obviously he won't be.

Originally posted by Champ24Bailey

Well first and foremost I hope Smoot gets well soon. And like posted in another thread mabye this is Terrell's job to take over for a game, and I think he can step up.

:rotflmao:

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

I hope you're kidding with that statement.

Anyone who thinks we are better off without Smoot is crazy. If Bauman was better than he would be starting and Smoot be a damn Detroit Lion.

Players don't start in the NFL for the hell of it, they start because they are better than the guys behind them. Furthermore, Smoot has played almost as well as Champ in the first two games this season. That says alot!

Here's a news update from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1618657

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot was briefly knocked unconscious and taken to the hospital after a collision during practice Thursday.

Smoot took a hit to the head from safety Matt Bowen as the two defended Rob Johnson's pass to Cliff Russell. Trainer Dean Kleinschmidt said Smoot was unconscious for "less than a minute" and woke up with a headache and back pain before being placed on a board and loaded in an ambulance.

"He had feeling," Kleinschmidt said. "He could move his arms and legs and feel and squeeze. He responded. He did not have amnesia."

Kleinschmidt said Smoot probably would be diagnosed with a concussion, pending tests at the hospital.

Practice was stopped for about five minutes as Smoot was treated.

"When I saw him on the ground, and he just wasn't moving, that was the scary part," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "He was going in and out a little bit, but once they took his facemask off and they just had him lying on his back, he looked like he was at least aware of what was going on. I looked at him and he kind of smiled a little bit, so that was a good sign."

Bowen's aggressiveness in practice has been a problem for the Redskins since the start of training camp. He leveled running back Trung Canidate during the first week of practice, drawing the ire of coaches and cheers from his fellow defensive players.

Coach Steve Spurrier did not blame Bowen directly for Smoot's injury, but the coach said: "We've all got to realize we're practicing against each other."

Bowen, who was not hurt on the play, declined to speak to reporters.

Smoot's availability for Sunday's game against the New York Giants is in question, which would be a significant setback for the Redskins. He and Bailey are one of the top tandems in the league, and backup Rashad Bauman pulled his hamstring in last week's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

"With a guy like that, you lose a lot. You lose his talent. You lose his energy," Bailey said. "You can't replace Fred. ... He's one of a kind. It's definitely going to hurt this team."

Bauman, a second-year player, will start if he is healthy and Smoot isn't. Next in line would be undrafted rookie Ade Jimoh, who allowed a late touchdown filling in as the nickel back Sunday against Atlanta.

Bauman said his hamstring is sore, but he participated in the full practice. He said he's ready for what would be his first NFL start.

"You don't want it this way, but hopefully Fred will be good," Bauman said.

Smoot was a second-round draft pick from Mississippi State in 2001. He's one of the team's most jocular and talkative players, so Bauman wasn't sure at first whether Smoot was really injured.

"I thought Fred was joking," Bauman said. "Fred is a comedian. But as it continued, he stayed on the ground, it just got worse and worse."

Champ says Smoot OK--Still doubtful he'll play Sunday

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/180433.html

Smoot Suffers Concussion

Smoot not expected to play on Sunday

By Warpath Staff -- Posted Sep 18, 2003

Redskins corner Champ Bailey talked to Fred Smoot and said he was back to normal, a couple hours after suffering a concussion. But that doesn't mean Smoot is expected to play Sunday against the Giants.

Smoot suffered the concussion during practice this morning, when he collided with safety Matt Bowen, taking a direct hit to the head. Both were going after a pass thrown by quarterback Rob Johnson.

Smoot was knocked unconscious for less than a minute. The Redskins took him by ambulance to Loudoun County Hospital for further tests. But the initial diagnosis was a concussion.

He'll likely be replaced by second-year corner Rashad Bauman in the lineup, though Bauman is bothered by a sore hamstring. If Bauman can't play, the Redskins would turn to rookie corner Ade Jimoh and even one of the safeties, possibly David Terrell, could play corner in a nickel. Terrell has filled that role in the past.

Bauman said he expects to play.

``If Fred can't go, I'll be able to go,'' Bauman said. ``It's cool that you get a chance to start, but this isn't the way you want it. I just hope to go out and show my skills.''

But Bailey said, ``You can't replace Fred Smoot, he has talent and he brings that energy level. You lose Fred, you lose a lot. Rashad has definitely improved and now he has to show that. He's ready to [start], but he's not Fred. Everyone knows that.''

Kleinschmidt said Smoot will need X-rays and an MRI on his neck, which he called standard procedures. Smoot also had some pain in his back.

``We try to protect players in practice,'' Redskins coach Steve Spurrier said. ``We have to do a better job avoiding collisions.''

Originally posted by orlskinsfan

Gamebreaker, i dont think anyone is saying Bauman is better than smoot, i am simply saying we have to play with what players we have and Bauman has showed some promise on plays he has been involved in, hopefully he will be able to hold down the fort until smoot is okay to play next week.

Bauman is an outstanding CB, and the best tackler among all our CBs. He tackles like a safety.

I trust Smoot a little more for man coverage, but that's just because Bauman has never been tested by top WRs.

My main concern is that Bauman's hamstring is hurting. I bet it's still hurting bad, and he and the team are keeping mum so the Giants don't gameplan to toast him all day long. But hamstring injuries usually linger, and if he was knocked out of the Falcon game, you can bet he's still limping.

Also, we don't really have a #4 CB, so now the nickel CB spot is quite vulnerable. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants go three wide plus Shockey, early in the game, to see how we respond. If they like the matchups, they might stick with it. They certainly can't be fearing our pass rush.

Bauman is a good tackler but the guy is 5'8 and has very limited experience.

The Giants receivers are all over 6'1 and are fast as a group downfield.

That does not appear to be a matchup that favors Bauman in his first NFL start.

If Smoot can't go the Skins will have to play a more conservative scheme and hope the front four gets a better rush.

I'd rather see Jimoh in there rather than Terrell. At least Jimoh has shown the ability to play pro football when he at least caught up to Farris on that play, Terrell is absolutely terrible and would be burned repeatedly.

Lets look at it on the bright side here. Jimoh was stride for stride with every guy in preseason. They pulled that double move on him in Atlanta and he got beat, but he learned from that and wont make the same mistake again I hope. At least he went ahead and got that out of his system, now he knows better. We still won so it didnt affect the game too much. If he learned from it and it wont happen this week then its okay. He CAN do it I believe in Jimoh! For he played for the Utah State Aggies and Utah State dont take **** from NOBODY!

Well, if he's out, he out. The gameplan will have to be adjusted.

Would GE really man up Smoot wth Hilliard anyways?

Let's keep in mind that we still have three VERY strong and able backs in the secondary to pull together and play well.

Who knows? Bauman has never really been tested like this. He could pull it out.

Even if he doesn't, that's one matchup we lose. It's not the only one in the game. Let's keep our heads up, and go in there and punch them in the mouth on D.

Originally posted by Art

I'm willing to lay money he plays. I've had severe concussions and played. Just tape a picture of Hilliard on Smoot's chest in case he can't remember what he's supposed to do and get him out there. I don't know how severe this is obviously but if it's just a concussion he'll be playing. If it's causing lots of brain swelling and bleeding obviously he won't be.

Comcast Sports "Sports Night" reported that it was a slight concussion.

I think that Bauman might be able to handle some of the duties, I mean after all, he was coached by D. Green himself, but I don't think that Jimoh is ready yet. Isn't he the one that was burned by the Falcons in the 4th quarter last week?

Archived