Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot Suffers Practice Injury Thursday

freakofthesouth

I have a feeling Smoot will play, but may just participate in less snaps then he normally would. Like maybe take him out on 3rd & Longs, but Bauman over there and bring some help. The only problem there is Shockey, but I think our linebackers can handle him on one down per series.

Originally posted by bulldog

Bauman is a good tackler but the guy is 5'8 and has very limited experience.

The Giants receivers are all over 6'1 and are fast as a group downfield.

That does not appear to be a matchup that favors Bauman in his first NFL start.

If Smoot can't go the Skins will have to play a more conservative scheme and hope the front four gets a better rush.

Two names come to mind: Pat Fischer and Darrell Green.

Also, I read a few posts earlier that had negative things to say about Smoot.

To them I say think about this:

If Fred Smoot is considered a "weak link" it is only because he plays across from Bailey.

Hard to beat that.

If it's just a slight concussion he's definately playing. No doubt about it. Smoot as ABSOLUTELY crucial to our chances. I just am stunned to see so many Redskin fans not have any real grasp of what Smoot provides this team and allows us to do and how he makes us better. If he's not himself on Sunday we're in trouble and the game has to change on both sides of the ball. That's how big Smoot is as a player taking out the receiver Champ doesn't take out. Without him we'll have to change our offense to help the defense stay off the field more, kind of like we did against the Rams last year. This is not a good thing.

Originally posted by Art

If it's just a slight concussion he's definately playing. No doubt about it. Smoot as ABSOLUTELY crucial to our chances. I just am stunned to see so many Redskin fans not have any real grasp of what Smoot provides this team and allows us to do and how he makes us better. If he's not himself on Sunday we're in trouble and the game has to change on both sides of the ball. That's how big Smoot is as a player taking out the receiver Champ doesn't take out. Without him we'll have to change our offense to help the defense stay off the field more, kind of like we did against the Rams last year. This is not a good thing.

The defense is going to need to find a way to cover for Smoot's absence if he cannot play, or cannot play at full strength.

Blitz Collins often , and from every direction, so he won't know where it's coming from.

Get Bauman healthy, and make sure that Collins does not pick on him.

If Jimoh starts or has to play, get him help. Have the saftey help with double coverage on top and a line backer to help with double coverage underneath or across the middle.

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on him because of that one play last week - anyone can get burned. But he is a green-haired rookie, Collins will have a field day with him if our D lets him.

I still believe the game will be won by the Redskins - they have the heart and the skill to overcome adversity.

But I was really hoping for a 74 - 0 score.

:applause:

We could replicate what happened to him last year...

Trade for Brian Dawkins.

Let Hilliard blow by Ade Jimoh on a streak.

Wait for the pass to go incomplete.

Have Dawkins lead with his helmet unnecessarily into Hilliard's shoulder and separate it, putting him out indefinitely.

...or just give Hilliard a Redskins jersey and Matt Bowen can get the job done.

Originally posted by Art

Art, you're absolutely right about how crucial Smoot is to our game. I just hope you're as right about his playing on Sunday.

I agree too...of course...being on the "right" side will do that. ;)

Teams are sporting 2 or 3 receivers out there. We tend to spend so much time talking about Champ and the more than likely # 1 receiver he'll be following around for the day, or followed, Fred seems to get lost in the shuffle. Notice in 2 games we haven't heard lot from the #2 spot or others as well. Smoot may not be cahsing him around as much as Champ chases his guy, but he's doing his job well. Do not want to go into the Giants game without him. Makes for possibly too entertaining of a game. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Archived