Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Sorry national media, DeAngelo Hall is not the next Albert Haynesworth

themurf

6189115205_9ec7c2e79f.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

One thing was immediately apparent in the post-game locker room following the Washington Redskins disappointing 18-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night Football – the players took this loss personally.

Tight end Chris Cooley called the entire week leading up to the game “a waste.” Safety LaRon Landry was so dejected – even though he had just returned to action for the first time in 10 months – that he said he could barely even bring himself to shower.

And then there was cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

As I wrote previously, Hall was so frustrated as turned the corner into the Washington locker room, he stripped off his jersey and shoulder pads and slammed them to the ground as violently as possible.

Moments later, he sounded off on everyone from the game officials, for the 15-yard face mask penalty called on him on a pivotal 3rd-and-21, to his defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, for what he considered “playing with fire” by sending the house so frequently.

“Sooner or later, somebody is going [expletive] figure it out,” Hall said of Haslett’s blitz-happy mindset. “You don’t have to be a [expletive] rocket scientist to figure it out after a while.”

Next thing you know, folks are lining up to crucify Hall – with some taking things to the extreme by calling the Pro Bowler the team’s “next problem child” and insinuating he’s an Albert Haynesworth-caliber headache in the making.

The people who write this, of course, don’t know what they’re talking about.

This drivel comes from someone who doesn’t actually cover the Redskins and who is simply taking Hall’s heated comments in the moments after a loss (he was directly responsible for) and drawing extreme conclusions.

Hall was never far from controversy in Atlanta and Oakland, so naturally this is just more of the same from one of the league’s most overrated players, right? It’s another case of “MeAngelo” Hall showing his true colors, right?

Wrong.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is simply hoping to stir up drama or is too lazy to come out and see the situation themselves.

For starters, Hall is a captain on this team. He’s well respected in the team’s locker room. He’s someone who goes out of his way to mentor young players in the secondary like Kevin Barnes and Macho Harris.

He’s not someone refusing to play the position his coaches ask him to. He’s not skipping OTAs or getting into off-the-field altercations involving strippers and/or road rage.

In fact, before his comments involving the Cowboys game, the last words written about Hall were that he and linebacker London Fletcher were the first two players to step up and say that the team should forgo “Victory Monday” in hopes of building momentum after their victory over the New York Giants in the season opener.

Does that sound like an out-of-control player who only cares about himself?

Here’s the other thing I can tell you about Hall – unlike others in that locker room,* he is always willing to stand up in front of the media after every game and answer every question asked of him. Even after disheartening losses like this one, Hall makes himself available to ensure media members (like me) are able to do their job.

*coughMikeSellerscough

As a Redskins fan, do I wish Hall had taken a deep breath and given himself a few extra moments to compose himself before going off on anyone and everyone he could think of? For sure.

And would it have been better for everyone involved if he would have held off on questioning his defensive coordinator until he was behind closed doors? No doubt.

Unfortunately, that’s just not how it played out. It doesn’t mean Hall is now suddenly a cancer in the locker room. It just means he had a momentary lapse in judgment.

Click here for the full article.

I like that he's pissed about losing. Shows the players care. I'm sure he's not the only one to be pissed but his personality makes him open his mouth before (as you said) taking a deep breath. I like it. Haslett made the wrong call. It was 3rd and 21. You just blitzed 2 times to get them in a hole. Fake the blitz and drop back and maybe Romo sits to pee makes a mistake or we force a 4th and 14,15.

I like that he's pissed about losing. Shows the players care. I'm sure he's not the only one to be pissed but his personality makes him open his mouth before (as you said) taking a deep breath. I like it. Haslett made the wrong call. It was 3rd and 21. You just blitzed 2 times to get them in a hole. Fake the blitz and drop back and maybe Romo sits to pee makes a mistake or we force a 4th and 14,15.

I don't actually have a problem with the call. It worked when Ryan Kerrigan intercepted Eli Manning and again when Kevin Barnes picked off Tony Romo sits to pee. Players -- Hall included -- just didn't execute as well as they should have.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-hallsrant

“I might have been a little overzealous. You guys know me—I’m passionate about football,” Hall said. “I definitely feel that was a football game we should have won. I was pretty frustrated. The Cowboys might actually send me a bill. I broke a couple of things down there, so I don’t know if I’m going to get billed for that.”

So he claims to have trashed the lockeroom a little. Thats nice. I know two things he broke for sure. A coverage and a nail on Bryant's facemask!

It was one play, he certainly wasn't getting burned all game and as the old saying goes "the other guys get paid too" . Bryant is ridiculously talented and our defense kept them out of the endzone for 60 minutes, that's pretty incredible!

As far as Hall going off on the world, can't blame him one bit. If someone would have put a microphone in front of me after the game, I would have blamed my wife for not being a good enough fan all night, my buddy for bringing the wrong beer over and Samsung for making such a beautiful TV for me to watch that heart-wrenching loss :) !!!!

Great article Murf, I like to see a player upset after a loss, it means they care. Sometimes they mebbe should wait 20 min to talk to the media, take a deep breath and count to 10. Emotions can be a good thing if they are aimed in the right direction...Hail

Here's something most fans probably don't know - the NFL requires team open their locker room to the media roughly 10 minutes after the game. So basically, everyone filters in from the field, the coach addresses the players and they're letting us in minutes later. Most guys are still taking off their uniforms and heading for the showers when we first walk in, so it's not like he had the benefit of an extended cool-down period.

Here's something most fans probably don't know - the NFL requires team open their locker room to the media roughly 10 minutes after the game. So basically, everyone filters in from the field, the coach addresses the players and they're letting us in minutes later. Most guys are still taking off their uniforms and heading for the showers when we first walk in, so it's not like he had the benefit of an extended cool-down period.

Can't say I knew the media was granted access to the locker room that fast. Hardly gives a guy time to regroup after an emotional loss.

DHall is no Darrell Green. But he's apologized for the tirade (which, if I'm honest, I'd have to say I would have been MORE blunt). this is why I hate Dallas, it always seems every year something screwy like this occurs, regardless of whether we're tons better than them, or tons worse. Its bad for the heart.

We get them again, and a chance for revenge in our house next time. I hope we friggin murder them.

httr

Great article murf! Hopefully some of the haters on ES will see this article and change their opinions on Hall.

(They probably won't, but it's worth a try)

Some fans seem to forget that without DeAngelo Hall last season, the Redskins lose the season opener to Dallas and the Bears game. Sure, he gets beat from time to time, but he's also someone who has been able to step up when his team needs him most.

I don't actually have a problem with the call. It worked when Ryan Kerrigan intercepted Eli Manning and again when Kevin Barnes picked off Tony Romo sits to pee. Players -- Hall included -- just didn't execute as well as they should have.

Debatable whether it was the wrong call or not. I do like the aggresiveness of the defense, but I noticed that Haslett gets blitz crazy sometimes and if watch Pittsburgh (a defense we are trying to emulate), they mix it up. Like I said, I would have showed blitz and backed off to give Romo sits to pee something to think about. He saw the blitz and does what he usually does- heave it. Maybe if Otogwe was back in coverage, he picks that lame duck pass off. Face it, Romo sits to pee had zero arm strength in that game. You could see it. He could go over 20 yards. I would have had OJ drop back and drift over to double Dez. But alas, it didn't happen that way and we have to get ready to beat the Rams.

Was I disappointed with DHall not being able to keep his cool? Yeah I was.

However, if I were him, I'd be extremely upset and inconsolable too if I may have allowed the play that gave Dallas the W.

It means that Hall expects a lot out of himself. The fact that he's a team captain speaks volumes about the players' and coaches' opinion of him, IMO.

Hall is not even close to what guys like Haynesworth and Portis were. He's an emotional guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and will say stuff he's going to regret later. The media will always spin that any way they can. He needs to stay in check otherwise he will always attract attention to himself. What I'm going to hate is come the rematch in November, all the spotlight is going to be on Hall and Orakpo before and after the game. They will be talking about 3rd and 21 and Orakpo's comments about Romo sits to pee. I trust that those two will be professional about it and not create any bulletin board or media spinning material.

Hellz yea Murf! DHall is a good, passionate guy who obviously hates loosing, especially to the cowgirls. I love it! He, and the team, appear to be really upset at the loss and are looking to unload their frustrations on someone, so watch out on Sunday. The Rams may be in store for some retribution.

Archived