Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Countering the Eagles wide (9 tech?) DE rush

ToaCommander

As others have stated, the Eagirls achilles heel is their LBs. Their entire D was put together with one goal in mind - to stop the GB Packers. Kyle S must stay dedicated to the run, and focus the passing game more on the TEs. No way do you want Grossman's floaters near Assupmop or Asante Samuel.

Mike Shanahan, yesterday:

“Those are the problems you want. We will play our best players. If we have four tight ends that are the best players, then we won’t have wide receivers on the field. If we have four receivers that are great players and our tight ends aren’t playing at a certain level, then we’ll play four wide receivers. We’ve got the flexibility on offense to do what we want to do. You can’t do that on defense, so we dictate on offense who’s going to play, how many reps they’re going to get. That’s dictated through practice and how many reps they’re going to get and how much they’re going to play.”

I wouldn't be surprised if we play a lot of 3 TE sets with Davis, Cooley and Paulsen, showing them looks (following a bye week to prepare) that we haven't featured all season.

Force the Eagles to sub out their pro bowl corners, and if they do keep Asomugha and Samuel on the field at the same time with only one of our WRs, we've got the advantage.

Broken record, but we do what we did against the Eagles last year in Week 5; ground and pound, run the ball like frak. Too many teams try to get into a shoot out with Philly. Understandable, because they're so friggin' fast and they score so quickly. But basically, it's "pray you win the coin toss, don't defer, run like hell". Playing that wide 9 tech is going to open holes all over their front as long as our protection holds up reasonably well. They can't get cute with the play calling; it has to be old school, smash mouth, Riggins-esque kind a football.

If it's me, I'm running with all three tight ends and using all three running backs, plus DY. Hightower on the stretch and in pass pro, Helu for the cutbacks and the screen passes, and Torain up the gut. DY in short yardage. Play action to the tight ends and basically wear their defensive front out. I thought that was something we did really well versus the Cards---by the fourth quarter, they were rotating their d-line and their were a lot of guys with their hands on their hips.

Don't even worry about throwing it to Gaff, Moss or Armstrong. Just have them out there to run block and catch the occasional slant.

Run the ****s into the ground and keep Michael Vick on the sideline. All our defense needs is to get us one three and out early, and then we run the game clock management wise and keep their best players off the field as long as possible.

Also, if I'm on defense, I'm going for the ball. I don't know what it is, but it seems like EVERYONE on that team carries the ball down low with one hand. Michael Vick still hasn't learned to tuck the ball when he runs (Cam Newton has learned this in week 2), McCoy is the same way, D-Jax and Maclin are guilty of it too.

Basically, I'd keep it old school. Keep the quick strike offense on the sidelines, and have like a 65-35 run-pass ratio. Wear everyone of their defense out so that late in the of the game, we can start to open it up and pass a lot more off play action to put the dagger in their back.

The wide 9 is weak against draws/traps ect. This will be a great game to dust of ryan torrain, attack the gaps and get him one on one with lbs.

This....In a "wide 9" alignment the DL typically has the the DE's out wide in a 9-technique, and both the DT's in 3-techniques which makes sealing the edge on the front-side or play-side virtually impossible...When Atlanta had there biggest, and best runs, it was on quick-hitting traps/dives that attacked the A and B gaps...We are going to have to break tendency against the Eagles, and run more up the middle, quick-hitting runs, and less of the longer slower developing stretch/inside zone plays...

As with everyone else the answer is to run traps and attack inside. I think you can still run the stretch against a 9 techniqe but you look for your back to make a quicker read and cut inside/back rather than looking to get to the outside.

Given the Eagles strength is the secondary and weapons on offense establishing a run and controlling the clock is the obvious way to go anyway. Fred Davis will be a key part of our passing game as well - the Eagles weakness is at linebacker and I doubt they have a 'backer cover him which means he draws a DB. Even if he is not getting the ball having Davis on the field opens some things up for us outside in the passing game.

Andy Reid wanted this scheme because it caused him fits, making me wonder if screens/slants may not be the best answer (that has been Reid's staple for years). I'm thinking exactly what many others have echoed in here and that's to take what they give us and pound the ball right at the weak spots they're creating with such a huge gap between tackles and ends. The Eagles have always struggled at running the ball, which is probably why this scheme was so effective against them.

What I don't understand is why teams don't constantly exploit that flaw? Both the rams and falcons did just that and ran well but for some reason they stopped. The eagles defense is far from being perfect but I'm more worried about containing Vick. I thnk the redskins will not have any issues scoring against the eagles, I'm wondering how they'll prevent Vick from scoring 30+ points?

If the skins want to win this game, they're main objective has to be 2 things:

1)Keep Vick/Desean/Macklin/Mccoy OFF the field for as long as possible. Time Management is going to be key this game

2)Score in the redzone.

For number 1 - If they play the 9 technique, thats when you hit them straight up the gut, and try to expose their weak linebackers with stretch plays to the left and right utilizing 2TE sets. The more were successfully able to run the ball means that were going to be controlling the tempo of the game. Shanny is all about controlling the tempo of the game with the running attack. If he can get a good running game going we'll be in good shape.

For number 2 - THe skins have been pretty lackluster in Redzone scoring, if they are going to win this game, they cant settle for FG's they need to SCORE. Our defense is going against one of the most explosive offenses in the game. They score so quickly its ridiculous.

- If we can score in the redzone. Have a good running game to control the clock and keep Eagles offense off the field. I think we can beat the them

What I don't understand is why teams don't constantly exploit that flaw? Both the rams and falcons did just that and ran well but for some reason they stopped. The eagles defense is far from being perfect but I'm more worried about containing Vick. I thnk the redskins will not have any issues scoring against the eagles, I'm wondering how they'll prevent Vick from scoring 30+ points?

The Rams lost Jackson early on so I think that changed their plans. I'm not sure on the Falcons, but maybe they just believed they were good enough to beat the Eagles without concentrating on the run.

Vick's passing has regressed this year if you include the preseason, not least because he's not getting much protection from his OL. If you want to stop him scoring, make him throw. He's a below average passer right now. That said I'm not convinced you can stop the team as a whole from racking up the points as they have a lot of weapons.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some good insights from CBS

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32680403

3. Defensive Wide-9 TechniquePeople are starting to grumble about new defensive coordinator Juan Castillo’s scheme – and rightfully so. It’s a Wide-9, which is a system built around generating a pass-rush with your front four. The defensive ends align in 9-technique positions, which means they’re outside the tight ends. This puts the defensive ends in space and allows them to be sprinters out of the box. It’s ideal for guys like Trent Cole and Jason Babin, both of whom are having productive years rushing the passer.

The problem is this system puts a considerable strain on a linebacking unit. As Ron Jaworski pointed out in the Lions-Bears Monday Night game, with the ends aligning so far wide, offenses run to the gaping holes inside. This is what the defense is designed to do. The Wide-9 aims to shrink the field by steering all the action inside. But this demands physical, stout linebackers who can take on blocks and play downhill.

The Eagles simply don’t have any. Exacerbating matters is the fact that their miscast linebackers are also inexperienced. Jamar Chaney is a sophomore seventh-round pick who has shuffled from one position to another. Brian Rolle is a sixth-round rookie playing only because he makes fewer mental errors than fourth-round rookie Casey Matthews.

Understandably, Juan Castillo is taking a lot of heat for the defense’s struggles. Only those within the Eagles organization truly know what kind of defensive coach he is. But you don’t have to be inside the organization to see that the system Castillo signed up to coordinate is not right for this team.

Shanny's quotes today said that Young was a "full-go" in practice, so I'd expect to see Cooley playing more TE again and us pounding the rock behind Darrel. He said that THT was still somewhat limited, which is okay; with this wide-9, I'd prefer taking it up the middle with Helu and Torain anyway.

I think Davis is gonna be a big part of the gameplan this weekend too. Seams when we get mismatches and short dumps on 2nd & mid/3rd & short to our TEs will be crucial for sustaining drives and keeping their O off the field.

Here is some more from the CBS article...

4. The Vaunted Secondary Imagine buying a 65-inch plasma TV, but instead of watching Blue Rays or DVDs on it, you watch video cassettes. That’s sort of what the Eagles are doing with Nnamdi Asomugha. The ex-Raider was worth $25 million guaranteed because he’s the best outside press-man cover artist not named Darrelle Revis. But Asomugha has not been a press-corner in Philadelphia.

Greg Cosell, the executive producer of the NFL Matchup Show and one of the most respected analysts in the country, points out that Asomugha played outside press-man only 40 percent of the snaps through the first four weeks. The rest of the time he was in off-coverage, traditional zone or lined up over the slot (where he’s never regularly operated before). Consequently, Asomugha has been uncomfortable.

There are problems on the other side, as well. Asante Samuel is a classic off-coverage corner who needs to be able to see both the receiver and quarterback in order to be effective. Cosell adds that Samuel is also suited for a blitz-oriented scheme, where the quarterback is compelled to throw quickly, thus making routes easier to jump. In this Wide-9 scheme, Samuel has often had to play bump-and-run coverage, which he doesn’t have the physicality to do.The Eagles may be sorting this snafu out. A few times against the Bills, they used Asomugha in man-to-man while everyone else played zone. But even if the corners are all utilized to their natural talents, there remains concern about the safeties.

Cosell, who can speak at length about the intricacies of Wide-9 run defense concepts, says a major issue has been Jarrad Page’s failures in run defense. Page was benched in the middle of the fourth quarter last week after several missed tackles.

5. The Redskins Matchup With their bye, Washington has had an extra week to rest up and study Philadelphia’s myriad problems. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett should be licking his chops. The Redskins run one of the most aggressive (and effective) blitz schemes in the league. Outside ‘backers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan can feast on the Eagles offensive tackles, plus they have the athleticism to plausibly keep Vick in the pocket.

If Orakpo and Kerrigan are told to cut loose, don’t be surprised if strong safety LaRon Landry serves as a spy on Vick. Of course, let’s not get carried away with thinking these matchups spell doom for the Eagles. After all, Philly’s offense hung 52 points on Washington’s defense in Week 10 last year. (Philly’s D added seven more.)

On the other side of the ball, the Redskins’ zone-blocking scheme does not create the type of pounding downhill run game that’s ideal for attacking this Eagles defense.

But it does create passing lanes for tight ends. With the Eagles corners stifling the mediocre Redskins wideouts, don’t be surprised if Rex Grossman throws 15-20 balls to Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. It’s a good place to attack given that the Eagles linebackers have also struggled in coverage.

I guess what Cosell is saying is that the zone blocking and stretch runs are not ideal against the wide 9 but a power block system is more effective.

And watch Kyle run right at those wide ends as he sticks to stretch runs.

If or when he does actual run the rock.

Hail.

You couldn't be any more negative about Kyle could you? Do you honestly believe that he is incompetent? I have to imagine he has a good plan of attack having been able to watch film for a couple weeks. I also believe that if he runs wide at times, there is probably a reason for it. We are going to have to use the fabled forward pass at some point on Sunday...I think too many people think you can lterally run the ball on every play and that the other team wouldn't adjust.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 07:53 PM ----------

Actually, I've been noticing Cooley lining up as FB a lot. And it seems to be working. He can be lead blocker or a pass target.
Good point. Center screen to Cooley from the FB position could be lethal.

Is Young still out?

Is Young still out?

Just read under Shanny's quotes for the day that Young was a full-go in practice today. I'd expect for Young to be back at FB and for us to run a good bit of 2-TE sets.

Utilizing Fred is gonna be crucial in this game for sustaining drives and keeping our offense moving.

I'm not sure why this works. It seems like what you gain in pass rush you lose in between the tackle run support, and also with the End lined up so obviously outside, you should be able to tell exactly where the pass rush is coming from. It seems like something that should only work on QBs improperly prepared for it.

I'm not sure why this works. It seems like what you gain in pass rush you lose in between the tackle run support, and also with the End lined up so obviously outside, you should be able to tell exactly where the pass rush is coming from. It seems like something that should only work on QBs improperly prepared for it.

I would imagine that if you successfully narrowed the field and your two tackles/three backers could win their match ups and make plays, it would be very effective. If every play essentially had to cross the line of scrimmage between the tackles and your remaining front seven players could clean up that mess, it would give offenses all sorts of issues. Then to top it off, every now and then those two ends would make a big sack or tackle for a loss and put the offense behind the chains.

Has anyone commented on how Rex excels throwing over the middle? With all this talk of attacking the weak middle of the defense and not being able to lean on the stretch/stretch play action, isn't this a game that should be tailor-made for Grossman when we do decide to throw the ball?

yes and no. yes for the reasons you just mentioned. no because he is facing 2 ball-hawk CBs. Asante + Asomugha is the only thing I'm afraid of in this game. And I'm afraid enough that it gives me some doubts.

yes and no. yes for the reasons you just mentioned. no because he is facing 2 ball-hawk CBs. Asante + Asomugha is the only thing I'm afraid of in this game. And I'm afraid enough that it gives me some doubts.

Which is even more reason why we should be attacking the middle of the field this weekend, specifically when Asante and Nnamdi are playing zone on the outsides. Now, first and foremost the running game needs to come first, but exploiting their unstable LBs in the pass game is gonna be essential to sustaining those long, clock-running drives that we're gonna need. I would like to see Fred have a hay-day; lots of TE seams and 6 or 7-yard quick outs/ins on 2nd & medium. I'd also look for Cooley to get a little love this weekend as well.

On a side note, it boggles my mind how much the Eagles use Nnamdi in zone. Talk about a waste of his abilities. IMHO, Nnamdi is the best man-coverage corner in the league. Yes, more so than Revis.

Archived