Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Countering the Eagles wide (9 tech?) DE rush

ToaCommander

I'd substitute stubborn and pig headed for 'incompetent.'

To his and ultimately our detriment.

Hail.

So you don't believe that there are legitimate reasons he passes in situations you would run? You don't believe his decisions are based on studying film and attempting to exploit tendencies or weaknesses he noticed? You believe he sits there, gets bored, and decides it'd be cooler to have Rex throw than to run the ball?

So you don't believe that there are legitimate reasons he passes in situations you would run? You don't believe his decisions are based on studying film and attempting to exploit tendencies or weaknesses he noticed? You believe he sits there, gets bored, and decides it'd be cooler to have Rex throw than to run the ball?

I believe your being way more facetious than normal in your question if that helps man.

If it helps, I think he can't help himself at times to pass regardless of anything. It's in his make-up. He started out better this year, but over the past few week's he's slowly slipping back to type. Even when your not being flippant, you must surely question his playcalling at times which is so predictable in certain situations it's frightening.

Hail.

I believe your being way more facetious than normal in your question if that helps man.

If it helps, I think he can't help himself at times to pass regardless of anything. It's in his make-up. He started out better this year, but over the past few week's he's slowly slipping back to type. Even when your not being flippant, you must surely question his playcalling at times which is so predictable in certain situations it's frightening.

Hail.

I probably was a bit over the top and I apologize. I have absolutely disagreed with calls, but I can't imagine a professional coordinator being so stubborn that he can't help himself to the detriment of his team. I could be wrong.

Like others have said there are plenty of ways to counter the wide 9. Chip the DE, keep the RB back to block, run traps/draws and 3 step drops. Some shotgun would be good too as long as Montgomery can keep the snap from sailing too high.

Given their losing streak the fecals need to shake things up (doubt there loser HC is that smart though) so they may not run their wide 9 technique much to try and protect their not so hot LBs a little bit.

Off topic but only one of the Skins top three draft choices has made an impact thus far (Kerrigan is turning out to be a draft day steal by the way). Would be good to see Hank get some PT somewhere down the road.

I think he can't help himself at times to pass regardless of anything. It's in his make-up. He started out better this year, but over the past few week's he's slowly slipping back to type. Even when your not being flippant, you must surely question his playcalling at times which is so predictable in certain situations it's frightening.

I prefer to look on the bright side; he's young brash and his best days are ahead of him. 2 years ago he guided a better team than ours to 4th or 5th best in the league. This team is on the upswing and he and we will get better. We caught a fleeting glimpse of what could be in the preseason and Giants game. This offense can be dangerous! Since then we've struggled and points have not come easy as we haven't been able to load the bases and hit home runs. Manufacturing runs is a lot harder. It takes a higher degree of skill and forces you out of your comfort zone and were not there yet as an offense. This team is still very, very "new" and there's a feeling out process still taking place.

I probably was a bit over the top and I apologize. I have absolutely disagreed with calls, but I can't imagine a professional coordinator being so stubborn that he can't help himself to the detriment of his team. I could be wrong.

NP man. I know you, I know your style. Your one of the LAST people on here I'd ever take offence to. It's all good. :cheers:

And maybe I'm being overly critical of the OC in asserting that he call's games to the detriment of his team. His calling of games, particularly in certain repeated situations, have been so incredibly bizarre that I've been left with that feeling of 'stubbornness' ; and that he'll do it 'his way' come what may rather than prudently take what's there.

I prefer to look on the bright side; he's young brash and his best days are ahead of him. 2 years ago he guided a better team than ours to 4th or 5th best in the league. This team is on the upswing and he and we will get better. We caught a fleeting glimpse of what could be in the preseason and Giants game. This offense can be dangerous! Since then we've struggled and points have not come easy as we haven't been able to load the bases and hit home runs. Manufacturing runs is a lot harder. It takes a higher degree of skill and forces you out of your comfort zone and were not there yet as an offense. This team is still very, very "new" and there's a feeling out process still taking place.

You make a lot of pertinent points FD (I'd argue just what part he played in that Houston O, from the personnel he inherited, to the scheme he took over. But that's for another thread.).

I guess without derailing this thread into a debate on the Jr. Shanahan, I'm pretty much where I was going into this year on him. More questions than answers. There's been things I liked early. There's still a lot I hate. And he seems to be reverting to type slowly as we go.

But I wouldn't argue at all with you about it being a process.

And he certainly deserves to be fully judged over the course of the whole season. A first year guy deserves another year at the least. And there's no way I'd be calling for his head through it.

Hail.

GHH, I wouldn't say it is derailing the thread to discuss our OC's mindset vs Philly's current D scheme, and you take good conversation where you can find it here (thankfully there is SO much more to choose from this season!).

I don't take issue with the points you raise but I might question your conclusions. I am hard-pressed to dismiss Kyle as pigheaded or incompetent, but perhaps the same circumstances occur due to different reasons.

He had a comfort zone w/ Houston, a core of play types that worked extremely well over and over again. He doesn't have those here because of a different cast. There is a human tendency to try and make that square peg fit even when you clearly see the round hole, that isn't stubbornness so much as it is reaching for that comfort zone. He seems to be trying the old stuff that worked with these players to see what might work, to see if they can somehow make it happen instead of being more flexible/adaptive to our team. Gibbs went thru the same thing in '81, a five game skid forced him to change to work with what he had instead of trying to run an Air Coryell offense.

If anything, Shanny 1.0 should know the value of a imposing running game and maybe persuade Kyle to adapt, I cannot speak to their dynamic, but we should get more info this week since it would seem that this is the exact situation where you run it down their throats and then run it some more.

NP man. I know you, I know your style. Your one of the LAST people on here I'd ever take offence to. It's all good. :cheers:

And maybe I'm being overly critical of the OC in asserting that he call's games to the detriment of his team. His calling of games, particularly in certain repeated situations, have been so incredibly bizarre that I've been left with that feeling of 'stubbornness' ; and that he'll do it 'his way' come what may rather than prudently take what's there.

I appreciate the nice words...I understand. I hope it's more that he's just trying to be TOO creative and has to work on not overthinking things rather than just getting the itch to air it out!

GHH, I wouldn't say it is derailing the thread to discuss our OC's mindset vs Philly's current D scheme, and you take good conversation where you can find it here (thankfully there is SO much more to choose from this season!).

I said that for personal reasons my good man as I know full well if I were to get into a discussion on the OC, it would broaden to far more than how to counter Philthy's D Sunday. Thank you for including me in 'the good conversation' thing ..... I think. :paranoid: :)

Interesting theory's you threw up there that certainly bare thinking about. I would say a good coordinator adjusts and tailors his scheme to the personnel he has to work with, but that would be me doing that derailing thang again. :pfft:

Yup, Sunday should be rather telling as to just how much he can temper his apparent urge to air it out. But again, ala Haslett over the other side of the ball whom I'm not getting too carried away with personally despite his initial success this year; the time to analyse and judge both will be at the years end when they've had at least 32 games here with better personnel as they've gone.

Hail.

the whole idea of strategising a game of football is looking at the oppositioin and working out how to beat them, i am sure the Shanahans have a game plan in place to do this, i can remember the broncos or the fish being very wide across the LOS and doing it very well, but the thing to remember is if you create gaps you give the opposition a point to start, sometimes a gap is created to draw you into a false sense of security, but if you have pace you can burn the opposition badly very badly regardless of wether your attacking or defending if we can avoid the mine fields and play smart we should win

Reminds me of Robert Smith of the Vikings. One cut, square shoulders and gone. Great feet. Excellent awareness.

And I do believe he is key, delayed handoffs, quick dumps. I've seen RBs in both eagles games this year busting long runs. If Turner had any speed he had two longTDs last night. Even still, he got forty or fifty yards before they caught up to him

~Bang

Saw Mr. Smith at the airport a couple of years ago, one underrated back IMO. I like the comparison.

Philly abandoned the wide 9 in the second half vs Buffalo, because it wasn't working. After going back to their traditional scheme, they were much improved. I don't think we'll see the wide 9 this weekend.

I don't understand what you mean by they abandoned the wide 9 and went back to their traditional scheme. What do you mean by that?

Archived