Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Tom Brady the Best Quarterback of All-Time? (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

But that doesn't mean Brady isn't as good as Manning. Manning has always had top WRs and a top TE to throw to. For years, Brady was throwing to the likes of Troy Brown, Jabar Gaffney, Ben Watson, Deion Branch, David Givens, etc. Manning had Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, and Clark.

I still think Peyton is a better QB, but its not by much. And maybe we overrate Manning because he is basically the O-Coordinator and QB for the Colts. But remember, for years Manning couldn't beat the Pats.

Yes, and why? Because they had a real defense and he did not.

You're arguing that Manning had a better team, then why when he exits, do the Colts become the worst team in football and when Brady exits, the Patriots go on without missing a beat?

The Colts had better offensive weapons true, but defensively they weren't close to the Patriots of the first half of the 00's. And the genius of Belichick proved that you don't need stars to run a great offense.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

I think the rules of the game right now are skewed so much in favor of the passing game' date=' that it's really hard to make a call on this sort of thing.

Brady cannot be hit above the neck or below the knee at any time. He may only be lightly grazed after he throws a pass. His receivers cannot be touched but his huge tight ends can muscle anyone they want.[/quote']

Thank you! I mean, really, QB's today are coddled and offenses have so much leeway today it's almost impossible to compare records. Look at how many active QB's are in the top 10 for career passer ratings? But really, would you rather have Elway or Rivers?

Montana, Brady and Manning are 1, 2, 3 in some order. Brady is phenominal, but he gets all day back there. Part of that is certainly because he punishes those who blitz him, but the other part is he has a great O-Line. As far as system go, he's in the most favorable to put up big numbers, IMO.

Peyton is the 4 star general. He manages everything and I think he totally covers for a franchise that has failed to draft well or hire good coaches. Even Dungy is only a decent to good coach, IMO...certainly not a HOFer like Belicheck and Walsh.

Montana was awesome, but his counting stats don't rival these other two. He automatically gets put at the top of the list because the man was a winner like no other. I suppose that puts him above Manning if you weigh that heavily, but Brady is approaching that level.

Elway was great and did win twice, but he wasn't the put the whole team on your back and win the game type of guy. He needed that running dimension to put his teams over the top. Marino probably did too, but never got it. He's a counting stats type of QB and will always be ranked high for that reason, but I don't see him as top 4.

Farve belongs nowhere near this list. He had some great years, but he also had many bad years. What other top QBs flat out stunk for years? He's below Jim Kelly, to me.

You're arguing that Manning had a better team, then why when he exits, do the Colts become the worst team in football and when Brady exits, the Patriots go on without missing a beat?

The Colts had better offensive weapons true, but defensively they weren't close to the Patriots of the first half of the 00's. And the genius of Belichick proved that you don't need stars to run a great offense.

The Pats defense was better, but Brady doesn't play defense. Manning definitely had better offensive weapons than Brady.

Look what happened when Brady finally got some WRs in 2007 with Welker and Moss. 50 TD passes.

The Pats defense was better, but Brady doesn't play defense. Manning definitely had better offensive weapons than Brady.

Look what happened when Brady finally got some WRs in 2007 with Welker and Moss. 50 TD passes.

My point is, Manning has always had more pressure on him to perform because without him, his team goes from contender to joke. Brady can be replaced with Matt Cassel and the Patriots go 11-5. No way in hell that happens with the Colts. Belichick cannot be understated here. If Manning was on the Patriots all these years he'd have just as many rings as Brady.

Emphasis on had. I don't think anyone's arguing who the better team has been, for the last 4-5 years. The Colts let a lot of guys go, and brought in guys that haven't delivered, and the problem has gotten worse and worse.

In the beginning, the Pats were an average at best offense, that relied on great defense and special teams, and a few clutch plays per game from Brady to win. The Colts were an insanely balanced team that could beat you in a variety of different ways, and unless they went up against another stacked offensive team, or the Patriots, normally dominated their competition from start to finish. It seems like you're basing your argument off of the last 3 years. I'm using the last 10. In my opinion, Brady is the best QB of the past decade.

Elway was great and did win twice, but he wasn't the put the whole team on your back and win the game type of guy. He needed that running dimension to put his teams over the top.

Elway not a "put the team on yor back and win the game type of guy"? Look that term up in the dictionary and you will see Elways picture. Every heard of "The Drive"? IMHO Elway was one of the top two best QB's after the two minute warning that ever played the game.

I think he's somewhere between 5 and 10.

1. Unitas

2. Montana

3. Manning

4. Marino

5. Baugh

6. Brady

7. Elway

8. Favre

9. Starr

10. Fouts

Edit: Yeah I didn't mean for Elway below Favre originaly

No Otto Graham? Without him, Fouts, Montana, Brady, Elway and Favre would likely just be footnotes as he lead the offense that established the basics of both the WCO and Coryell offenses and helped create the basic structure for all the pass-happy offenses of today. He is one of top 15 football PLAYERS of all time.

Emphasis on had. I don't think anyone's arguing who the better team has been, for the last 4-5 years. The Colts let a lot of guys go, and brought in guys that haven't delivered, and the problem has gotten worse and worse.

In the beginning, the Pats were an average at best offense, that relied on great defense and special teams, and a few clutch plays per game from Brady to win. The Colts were an insanely balanced team that could beat you in a variety of different ways, and unless they went up against another stacked offensive team, or the Patriots, normally dominated their competition from start to finish. It seems like you're basing your argument off of the last 3 years. I'm using the last 10. In my opinion, Brady is the best QB of the past decade.

In the early 00's, as I said before, Manning had the better offensive weapons but the D was not close to as good as New England's. This is for people who want to pull the 3 rings to 1 argument.

My point is, Manning has always had more pressure on him to perform because without him, his team goes from contender to joke. Brady can be replaced with Matt Cassel and the Patriots go 11-5. No way in hell that happens with the Colts. Belichick cannot be understated here. If Manning was on the Patriots all these years he'd have just as many rings as Brady.

But the year before Brady went down, the Pats went 16-0 in the regular season. So with Cassel, they were 5 games worse than the year before.

In the early 00's, as I said before, Manning had the better offensive weapons but the D was not close to as good as New England's. This is for people who want to pull the 3 rings to 1 argument.

Well yeah, that's not really fair. When comparing QB's, and great players in general, I try to limit it to the individual, and what they had to work with, and try to keep team accomplishments out of it, because all that does is open up a can of worms...

Top 5.

Steve Young is the greatest football player I have ever seen, and does not get half the recognition he deserves. IMO of course.

I agree, though it would be tough for me to put him ahead of guys like Marino, Elway, Manning, Montana, etc. I'd definitely say that he may be the most accurate passer of all time.

All time passing yards

1 BRETT FAVRE 71,838

2 Dan Marino 61,361

3 PEYTON MANNING 54,828

4 John Elway 51,475

5 Warren Moon 49,325

6 Fran Tarkenton 47,003

7 Vinny Testaverde 46,233

8 Drew Bledsoe 44,611

9 Dan Fouts 43,040

10 KERRY COLLINS 40,638

11 Joe Montana 40,551

12 Johnny Unitas 40,239

13 Dave Krieg 38,147

14 Boomer Esiason 37,920

15 DONOVAN MCNABB 36,289

16 DREW BREES 35,685

17 Jim Kelly 35,467

18 TOM BRADY 35,261

Just sayin'.

All time passing yards

Just sayin'.

To be fair, in most sports, enormous stats have more to do with longevity than anything else. I still think Brady is better than most of those guys.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 03:47 PM ----------

Yes, but they still were a winning team and missed the playoffs by mega-fluke. They still won more games than any Redskins team in 20 years...

Also, I think Matt Cassell turned out to be a better QB than anyone could have ever imagined...coming off the bench of course.

I agree, though it would be tough for me to put him ahead of guys like Marino, Elway, Manning, Montana, etc. I'd definitely say that he may be the most accurate passer of all time.

I lived out here in SF during the Montana/Young years, and was not a fan of the 49ers, but of course I watched them every week because that was what was on. Young never got his due because Montana was viewed as the savior that made the 49ers a dynasty, and it was viewed as "disloyal" to Saint Joe if you gave Young any credit at all.

In my opinion, that dynasty was created by Bill Walsh much more than to Montana. When Walsh implemented the West Coast Offense, no one understood how to defend it. It took almost a decade for defenses to catch up. Montana thus was playing with a stacked deck in his favor and a great O Line.

By the time Young took over, people understood how to defend the WCO. Plus, the 49ers let their offensive line deterioirate year after year, using all their drafts on skill players. The line that Young played behind really sucked most years. Yet Young was spectacular, the most accurate passer of all time despite not having any time to throw. And that is not even taking into account his running ability and toughness, which were both excellent.

I appreciate what Montana, Marino and Elway did, but Young was more complete than any of them. He was as accurate as Marino, as tough and athletic as Elway, as competitive as Montana. And people out here treated him like :pooh: on their shoe, which was totally bizarre.

That this idea that Manning has always had a better supporting cast is false.

Really? How so?

Harrison, Wayne, James, Stokely, Clark>>>>>Brown, Branch, Corey Dillon

Yes Brady had a better defense, but look at their offensive numbers. They really aren't that much different and Brady has had way less help on offense than Manning did.

Archived