Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Dungy Believes Manning's Neck Issues Started Against Redskins in 2006 Game (Per Peter King's MMQB, SI.com--merged with current stories of same deal--MET)

#98QBKiller

This is interesting. When I first heard about Manning's neck surgery this is exactly the game/play I remembered (I'm looking for a video of the play right now but can't seem to find one). I think McIntosh and another defender sandwiched him and he had to sit out for a few plays. Tony Dungy seems to think this is where his neck issues began:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/1.html

Tony Dungy had an excellent observation on our Saturday night NFL special on NBC. He said Manning's neck history dates to Oct. 22, 2006, when his neck got wrenched and his helmet ripped off on a hit by two Washington defenders. We showed the highlight on our Saturday show, and Manning, after being hit and crumbling to the ground awkwardly, lay there for a second, and when he rose, he stretched his neck and shook his right arm for a second, as if trying to get the feeling back in it. "Earlier in the game,'' Dungy told me, "I'm outraged that there was a flag for roughing-the-passer on Dwight Freeney for just grazing the quarterback's helmet. So I'm yelling at the ref [scott Green], 'Where's the flag! Where's the flag!' And I don't yell much, but I did then. So I didn't notice Peyton calling timeout and being shaken up. Peyton came to the sideline and said to [backup] Jim Sorgi, 'Jim, start warming up.' As the timeout went on, he said to us, 'I can stay in, but we need to run the ball here.' ''

Which the Colts did, settling for a field goal deep in Washington territory.

"Then we sort of forgot about it at halftime, and Peyton seemed fine," said Dungy. "He lit it up in the second half. He was on fire [throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns]. But that's the year we started cutting back on his throws at practice. I'm not putting two plus two together. I just figure he's getting older and he needs some time off, he's made enough throws. But now, as I look back on it, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the start of his neck problems.''

Looks like it was PD 93 & AC.... Still searching for the vid.

Can you imagine what it feels like to be twisted by these two?

I can't imagine Manning could breath very well with PD93's giant biceps crushing his windpipe, either. Not a position I'd like to be in.

I don't remember the play as clearly as some here, but I remember being thankful that there was no penalty called.

Ya know.. When I heard Manning was having neck surgery I immediately thought back to that hit. It looked like a wrestling move by Phillip Daniels. There was alot of emotion because the Redskins prided themselves on their defense.And this version of the Redskins defense had never faced Manning so they were hype. TI believe that hit ignited their offense though..lol

Looks like it was PD 93 & AC.... Still searching for the vid.

Can you imagine what it feels like to be twisted by these two?

It's in this youtube video of the hardest hits of 2006:

Just fast forward to the 0:40 mark.

Good finds, that's exactly the hit.

Here's the youtube video embedded

Oh my goodness, that tackle was ridiculous. :no: Not saying it is dirty, I just can't believe he actually got bent like that.

Manning needs to retire. You have three neck surgeries in 19 months, you need to quit while you are ahead. He is going to mess around and leave the field on a stretcher if he keeps on playing.

The all white jersey is still a good look :2cents:

Archived