Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: Redskins' Landry out for Sunday's opener vs Giants

KCasady

Apparently three different coaching staffs disagree with you.

Great point! The guy plays sound fundamental football and is actually really good blitzing and around the line of scrimmage. I think I'll take the coaching staff's opinion over fans who can't understand why we don't have Ed Reed to back up Landry.

Enlighten me please. Most veteran we cut never do squat in the NFL.

Back to the Reed Doughty bashing....

If Reed is a solid defensive back, why weren't there any reports of the other 31 teams being interested in his services? I have no doubt that Reed is a good practice player, but once he's part of plays happening at NFL game speed he's not very good.

Then why wasn't our coaching staff out finding his replacement? I mean they've spent an entire season coaching Reed, don't you think you're argument that he's only a capable practice player would've have crossed their minds? So either Reed is terrible and our coaching staff is clueless or maybe, just maybe, you're wrong.

Then why wasn't our coaching staff out finding his replacement? I mean they've spent an entire season coaching Reed, don't you think you're argument that he's only a capable practice player would've have crossed their minds? So either Reed is terrible and our coaching staff is clueless or maybe, just maybe, you're wrong.

I tend to think he is an "adequate" safety AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T HAVE TO COVER and a far better special teams player. He stays in his lanes on kickoffs! HTTR!!

Enlighten me please. Most veterans we cut never do squat in the NFL again.

The vets you mentioned were Washington, Daniels, Smoot, and Portis.

Washington, IIRC, was coming off a major injury and was clearly physically declining when we cut him. During his prime, however, he was an excellent OLB. Daniels retired. He probably could have signed with another team on a 1 year deal as a vet backup. During his prime years with us however he was a solid DE. Portis is clearly finished as an NFL player, but we all know how valuable he was to us in our prime. Smoot I was surprised nobody picked up, so I'll give you that one.

All the guys you mentioned gave us good years. We released them because they were no longer of value to us for whatever reason. Just because no other team signed them doesn't mean they were terrible players their entire tenure here. It's not like we were cutting guys in their prime. Then of course there were guys that we let go in their prime that did sign on with other teams and have success, like Antonio Pierce, Brandon Lloyd, and Ryan Clark. Funny you don't mention them.

If Reed is a solid defensive back, why weren't there any reports of the other 31 teams being interested in his services? I have no doubt that Reed is a good practice player, but once he's part of plays happening at NFL game speed he's not very good.

Doughty is a replacable player. He isn't a star but he's a quality backup for us. Guys like that tend to be more valuable to the teams they've been on then to other teams. Teams don't exactly go around offering to trade for other teams backups.

That doesn't mean Doughty is terrible. He is what he is: a backup SS who can tackle and play ST but is weak in coverage. Again, you aren't going to have 53 superstars on your roster.

Enlighten me please. Most veterans we cut never do squat in the NFL again.

Predictable response, but my answer here is do the work yourself. Your post makes you look like an idiot to people who know what you're not addressing in your position as you state it, as well as a number of examples of where you're just simply wrong. I doubt you even understand what I'm indicting, and likely (mistakenly) think I'm suggesting something like "most players we cut do play elsewhere." There is an intelligent way you could make the point you wanted to make with much more veracity, but it eludes you still as indicated in your reply.

I'll give you one though, while the player hardly did well for behavioral issues, even your own list has an example that refutes your comment as written. That's pretty stupid. :)

To all, on the general topic of Doughty, I was never a fan of his and see him as averaging out to slightly below middle of the pack at his position (not some total waste like some are saying) and just ok on ST. But I yield to the telling point made by others, with no affection for any "appeal to authority" argument, that if 3 different staffs have kept him, it's likely there were no better all-around choices.

I want to know what the F Atogwe did to his hamstring.

He has barely seen the field in his tenure as a Redskin - and only our practice field at that. The guy must have really done a number on that hammy if he's still questionable at this point. Surely, this is a smoke screen a la Belicheck (Tom Brady on the Questionable List every week for an entire season :ols:).

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 04:19 PM ----------

What would be the drawback of having DeJon Gomes ahead of Doughty? That guy looked like he definitely has talent for sniffing out the run and blitzing. And, he looks much more athletic than Doughty.

Predictable response, but my answer here is do the work yourself. Your post makes you look like an idiot to people who know what you're not addressing in your position as you state it, as well as a number of examples of where you're just simply wrong. I doubt you even understand what I'm indicting, and likely (mistakenly) think I'm suggesting something like "most players we cut do play elsewhere." There is an intelligent way you could make the point you wanted to make with much more veracity, but it eludes you still as indicated in your reply.

I'll give you one though, while the player hardly did well for behavioral issues, even your own list has an example that refutes your comment as written. That's pretty stupid. :)

To all, on the general topic of Doughty, I was never a fan of his and see him as averaging out to slightly below middle of the pack at his position (not some total waste like some are saying) and just ok on ST. But I yield to the telling point made by others, with no affection for any "appeal to authority" argument, that if 3 different staffs have kept him, it's likely there were no better all-around choices.

Your response is also very predictable for a pompous mod on this site - If one disagrees, politely call them names while providing zero insight on the topic.

Off the top of my head I can't name any player the last 4 years that we have cut that has gone on to have any success in the league. Only reason I even mentioned that, was to question the poster who claimed "if Doughty sucked we would have cut him". I tried to refute that claim by basicly saying we keep players until the very end regardless of thier play on the field ie Philip Daniels. If I am wrong, show me, if not leave the petty name calling out and simply move along.

Reed is a good special teamer, I don't think he should be higher then 3rd on the depth chart though.

I'm fine with Doughty for this week, but I hope Landry gets back into it ASAP.

Any timeline when he will be ready to go? Couple games or extended absense? Serious replies only please we have enough threads to bash LL in.

Shanny said that LL did not get practice in and didnt see action in the preseason games. I expect he will be back and ready to go next week after a week of practice. However, he will have the major surgery next offseason he stated which is rare to see a player come back from 100% which worries me to death since this is a contract year

Off the top of my head I can't name any player the last 4 years that we have cut that has gone on to have any success in the league. .

pretty sure you're going to get banned, but i'll reply anyways..

1) Ryan Clark (but I guess that was 5 years)

2) Derrick Dockery

3) Justin Tryon

4) Devin Thomas

5) Brandon Lloyd

6) Antwann Randel-El

7) Shaun Suisham

8) Jason Taylor

9) Antonio Pierce

10) Carlos Rogers

11) I'll just stop there.. it's embarrassing enough

Please see remarks GaryGreenMonk,

1) Ryan Clark (but I guess that was 5 years) (FA who left for bigger money)

2) Derrick Dockery (FA who was a huge bust for Buffalo, resigned by us)

]3) Justin Tryon (Trade)

4) Devin Thomas (Cut by Panthers, 5th string for Giants now)

5) Brandon Lloyd (Cut by Bears, breakouts in Denver) You win

6) Antwann Randel-El (Re-signed by his OG team, puts up terrible stats, currently unemployed)

7) Shaun Suisham (lol still sucks but has a job) Toss up

8) Jason Taylor (trade)

9) Antonio Pierce (FA who left for bigger money)

10) Carlos Rogers (To be determined)

11) I'll just stop there.. it's embarrassing enough (if you say so :doh: )

Your list sucks.

Please see remarks GaryGreen Monk

1) Ryan Clark (but I guess that was 5 years) (Undervalued FA) You win

2) Derrick Dockery (FA who was a huge bust for Buffalo, resigned by us)

3) Justin Tryon (Trade)

4) Devin Thomas (Cut by Panthers, 5th string for Giants now)

5) Brandon Lloyd (Cut by Bears, breakouts in Denver) You win

6) Antwann Randel-El (Re-signed by his OG team, puts up terrible stats, currently unemployed)

7) Shaun Suisham (lol still sucks but has a job) Toss up

8) Jason Taylor (trade)

9) Antonio Pierce (FA who left for bigger money)

10) Carlos Rogers (To be determined)

11) I'll just stop there.. it's embarrassing enough (if you say so)

Your list sucks.

Oh my bad.. i didn't realize your worthless opinion about how good someone is that we cut, who's still on the starting 53 man squad for another NFL team, was a requirement for the argument.

Apparently we have to cut all-pro's only and be on your fantasy team for you to lose an argument.

Not to mention that most of those trades would have been cuts had someone not been willing to give us something for them.

Oh my bad.. i didn't realize your worthless opinion about how good someone is that we cut, who's still on the starting 53 man squad for another NFL team, was a requirement for the argument.

Apparently we have to cut all-pro's only and be on your fantasy team for you to lose an argument.

Not to mention that most of those trades would have been cuts had someone not been willing to give us something for them.

Worthless opinion? Cool, the same could be said of yours.

I didn't say "all-pro's" I gave you Llyod and Suisham. Devin Thomas doesnt even see the field as WR and he hasn't done anything as a KR. Yea he's on a team, but he contributes as much as you or I on Sundays.

Unless Shanny comes out and says those player were going to get cut, there's no way of knowing if they made the team or not.

Relax bro, we're rooting for the same team.

I'm fine with Doughty for this week, but I hope Landry gets back into it ASAP.

Any timeline when he will be ready to go? Couple games or extended absense? Serious replies only please we have enough threads to bash LL in.

I'd guess by Dallas (Monday night, September 26). Rest him this week and next, practice, remind Dez Bryant of what the NFL is really like.

Actually I believe many here overestimate the effect Landry has.

i.e. Getting trucked by Jacobs.... or stupid penalties.. people seem to conveniently forget things like that when it comes to Landry.. but jump all over Doughty.

If you could PLEASE name me a stupid penalty he's had in the past 2 years I would greatly appreciate it.

---------- Post added September-9th-2011 at 05:58 PM ----------

I'd guess by Dallas (Monday night, September 26). Rest him this week and next, practice, remind Dez Bryant of what the NFL is really like.

You mean like this?? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yz6DrpwJV8#t=6m33s

I want to know what the F Atogwe did to his hamstring.

He has barely seen the field in his tenure as a Redskin - and only our practice field at that. The guy must have really done a number on that hammy if he's still questionable at this point. Surely, this is a smoke screen a la Belicheck (Tom Brady on the Questionable List every week for an entire season :ols:).

What would be the drawback of having DeJon Gomes ahead of Doughty? That guy looked like he definitely has talent for sniffing out the run and blitzing. And, he looks much more athletic than Doughty.

It's not hard to tweak your hamstring to the point where you can't run on it. Even a minor pull or tear can make the muscle overreact to ANY extension or stretch so that it will literally stop you from extending it, especially with stuff like running sprints. It's not especially painful after the initial shock, but it's just one of those injuries where you can't do much but stay off of it. Good news is, with rest it will fully heal, as long as he doesn't try to come back from it too soon.

As for having Gomes in over Doughty, I kind of agree with you. I don't think Doughty is as bad a SS as some people, but I wouldn't think Gomes would be THAT much of a drop-off either. And if he is, then put Doughty back in and let Gomes learn a little more before throwing him to the wolves again. He does look more athletic than Doughty.

Which of course is why he's still on the team...because he sucks.

Well, unless all the coaches and the GM have never watched him or watched film of him since he's been on the team, that is...which I suppose is possible. :yes:

Yeah they just keep him around because he was a Gibbs guy.

Who really fears LL? He hits no harder than a linebacker. He is more likely to make a big hit when coming into the play late and thus draw a penalty. LL is borderline pro bowl material. Has he ever been to the pro bowl? Last year he talked trash to the eagles before the game was was burned on the first play. Reed is not as good as LL, but LL is not a top safety in this league.

Who really fears LL? He hits no harder than a linebacker. He is more likely to make a big hit when coming into the play late and thus draw a penalty. LL is borderline pro bowl material. Has he ever been to the pro bowl? Last year he talked trash to the eagles before the game was was burned on the first play. Reed is not as good as LL, but LL is not a top safety in this league.

Must be pretty awesome to make sweeping assertions with literally nothing to back it up. Must be even better to do so in response to overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

1...If a safety hits like a LB that's a fairly hard hitter.

2....He hits harder than a LB.

3....It took until 2009 for Fletcher to go to the ProBowl, think of something better.

4....He was the Starting SS in last years ProBowl, he was obviously hurt so he didn't play.

5....Name me a penalty he's committed in the past 2 years.

6....A guy with 85 tackles, 2 ff, 1 sack, 1 int, and 5 tackles for loss in 8 games is not a top safety? Yes, he is.

7....Some people don't know football...And you're one of'em.

Must be pretty awesome to make sweeping assertions with literally nothing to back it up. Must be even better to do so in response to overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

So I was right that he has never made the pro bowl and we have all read the stores about him trash talking the eagle players as they left the field after warm ups. Sorry, but I don't have time to find a link. We all saw him get burned on the 1st play of the game. We have all seen him draw 15 yard penalties and I admitted he hits as hard as a linebacker. However, there are 3 linebackers (or 4) on the field "scaring" the offensive players on every play. So, where are my sweeping assertions?

Archived