Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Why Redskins, Titans will win divisions

Califan007 The Constipated

Great article and I agree the Redskins could very well win more than 6 games this year but really it all depends on how many games the Eagles win. They will be really good this year and as much as we don't want to admit it the Cowpukes played MUCH better after they fired Wade. They get Romo sits to pee back and they could very well win 10 games this year. Then there is the Giants who have Eli and are always around 8-10 wins it seems especially when the Skins gift them at least one each year. So to say they will win the division I think it stretching it but the Skins are vastly improved from last year and if Rex can play at a high level then I think the skins could get 8-10 wins.

Media talking heads say a quarterback is a quarterback and scheme is only a small part of the whole in terms of production. A coach putting a qb in a particular system, this theory goes, won't allow that player to escape his past, so to speak.

But then how do we explain Jim Plunkett and Rich Gannon? :)

Gannon like Grossman was a quarterback that went from team to team and Rich showed a propensity to pull the ball down and run and not make plays from the pocket. Understandable as Gannon was a converted wide receiver.

Plunkett was the #1 overall choice in the 1971 draft by the Patriots but was traded and then waived by the 49ers before being picked up by Oakland. The quarterback who was sacked a lot in NE and turned the ball over ended up as a big play passer who won 2 Super Bowls.

Gannon meanwhile took his team to the Super Bowl in 2002 and was a pro bowl passer for a number of seasons.

Given a similar time in their careers, both quarterbacks would look a lot like Grossman does now. A career journeyman with enough skills to last in the NFL but not enough to establish himself as a consistent starter.

Then came the chance, a new system and a coach that believed in them.

He's just beating the rush, I mean 4-5 years ago everybody in the media said that Mike Shanahan was one of the best 2 or 3 head coaches in the league. Sooner or later he's going to win a division title, maybe not championships but the division will be won by the Redskins in the next 2-3 years.

I agree this team will be very competitive once Mike Shanahan has had some time.

I don't think we make much of a step this year, even if the team is improved.

Next year, depending on the QB situation, we could compete for a WC. Same with 2013

The 2014 season is where I am going to start to expect us to be consistent contenders

Just a general question. Does anyone know any sites that are streaming games? I'm a redskins fan in no mans land.(Florida.

Check back before gametime Sunday. There's a thread called the "Annual Where Do I Watch Games Online Thread" and people will post links in it. You can also go through and use the sites posted for past games to find your own current links.

I'm glad someone recognizes Armstrong's talent. All he's done this preseason is make plays, yet everyone else on the team are talked about endlessly. I think he's our true no. 2 right now and Gaffney is the no. 3. Which is pretty awesome if you ask me. I don't care where they're listed on the depth chart.

From another web site, but a good rebuttal to mr. lombardi

Why I like the Redskins to win the NFC East

Most people are laughing at my pick of the Redskins to win the NFC East. But I gave it great thought, did my research and did not simply just throw it out for effect, or to be called an idiot by my Twitter followers. Here are my reasons for thinking the 'Skins can go from worst to first in the East:

Alright, sweet. So what'cha got?

» The Redskins play the 29th easiest schedule in the league, facing only five playoff teams from 2010. Washington plays the entire NFC West, as well as Buffalo and Carolina.

Hmmm... While the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys don't get to play Carolina, they too get to play the entire NFC West, and Buffalo. Usually you lead with a strong point. I hope that's not the case here, Mike.

» Washington actually played better on the road last year, winning four games versus just two at home. They will play better at home this year. They won in Philadelphia and Chicago last year and beat the Packers at home.

Oh, they'll play better at home... just because. Got it. Mike even named a few good wins. Well, the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants also had some good wins. The Cowboys won in Indianapolis and New Jersey. They also beat the Redskins at home. (I'm assuming it's fair to use the Redskins as an impressive team to beat, since they're the pick to win the division). The Giants swept the Redskins, and also beat Chicago. The Eagles swept the Giants, beat the Skins on the road, and also beat the Colts and Falcons. Every team in the division had good wins.

» The 'Skins lost six games by four points or less last year, and were horrendous on defense, finishing 31st in yards allowed. This year they have talent that suits their 3-4 scheme and are not trying to shoe-horn 4-3 personnel into a 3-4.

Call me crazy, but noting that the Redskins were horrendous on defense last year doesn't exactly help the argument. Plus, both the Eagles and Cowboys lost 4 games by 5 points or less last year. As for not trying to shoehorn 4-3 guys into a 3-4... Are we forgetting Barry Cofield?

» Running back Tim Hightower and an improved offensive line will make the run game much better. Tight end Fred Davis is blocking well and Anthony Armstrong is emerging as a big-play receiver.

I like Hightower, but if I'm ranking the division's starting running backs, Hightower is 4th. As for Fred Davis "blocking well" and Anthony Armstrong "emerging as a big play receiver," alright... fine. I won't dispute that. But I hope you're not hitching your Redskin wagon to Fred Davis' better blocking and Anthony Armstrong.

» Mike Shanahan wants to prove he is still a big-time coach and knows another 6-10 season won't make many happy in D.C. Shanahan was hired to restore the 'Skins to their glory days, the sooner the better. I think Shanny will have a better year this year as well.

Ohhhhh, Shanny knows another 6-10 season won't make many happy in D.C.? Here I was thinking that the fans in D.C. didn't mind losing 10 games every year. My bad. So I guess he'll try harder this year? Is that the message? So how many extra wins should we pencil in on account of Shanny trying harder? 3? 4?

I know, I know: Rex Grossman is playing quarterback and everything stated above is meaningless if Grossman turns the ball over. I know he has never had a quarterback rating higher than 78. I know the only year he started, he threw 23 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. I know there are risks with this pick, but I am going to believe that Shanahan can get more good Rex than bad Rex. We shall see.

I think all of the above is meaningless regardless of whether or not Rex turns the ball over... which he will anyway.

Michael Lombardi, everybody.

When I read this I get an old feeling of how when my mom would take me shopping when i was a boy to buy me clothes for no reason. I'd question, what did I do to deserve this? Always fearing something bad is right around the corner for her act of love. My point is I'm so used to reading and hearing so many negative articles and videos on the Skins that when someone actually writes up a "positive" article I feel as if something bad is about to happen for reality to prove me right.

Hail

:ols: This is a great post.

Hail

anything is possible, but I'm not counting on it. I hope the team proves me wrong, but I would be thrilled with 8-8 this year. Anything above that is gravy.

I agree with your post Painkiller. I don't believe we will finish last in the NFCE this year but I'm not seeing division champs -YET.

Lombardi is one of a handful of NFL Network analysts opinions I respect, he actually studies film rather than look at the player's name/hype *cough Micheal Irvin* *cough Jaime Dukes*

So I notice how some "experts" are picking the Skins to win as little as 2-3 games and be an Andrew Luck front runner while other "experts" are sayin we could win the East or atleast slide in as a wild card. But i think I like the fact of being the unknown more than anythng.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived