Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: 10 (semi-) bold predictions for 2011 Redskins

themurf

As a fellow reporter, I've learned to trust the guys who admit they've been wrong or don't know something once in a while. They tend to be the most knowledgable people. People who pretend they're never wrong are most often bs artists or pushing an agenda.

I was sadly right on Portis and Rogers, but I was wrong about Landry at least until he got hurt. I thought Landry was horrible in Zorn's last year, bad angles, sloppy coverage, undisciplined play and I didn't think that the move from FS to SS should make that big a difference, but he was great until...

I also hate that I was right about Haynesworth. I said from the day I heard we were contacting him as a free agent that I didn't want him on our team. Now, I had no idea how bad he'd be, but I knew that the price tag wasn't worth the player.

What I'm most curious to discover is if what we saw in the preseason real or a mirage. If we have that dynamic a running game and that disciplined and hustling kind of defense... we'll be a fun team to watch.

My website is really just an extension of me, so basically I'm sharing with you guys what I'd otherwise be saying while taking up a bar stool with friends. I'm not concerned about convincing others that I'm right and they're wrong. I just like participating in intelligent football conversation, so if it means I've got to look like a moron from time to time, so be it.

I also think putting my thoughts out there makes me better at all of this. Like, for example, last year I saw Larry Johnson killing it every day in practice. He had a great attitude and finished every run 20 yards downfield, which is why I envisioned him as a goal line back in the mold of Willis McGahee during his time in Baltimore or something. I thought he and Portis would help each other to be healthy and productive.

The only problem was, Johnson was apparently going 100 percent during those practices while everyone else was going at a normal pace. Once games started, he didn't have an extra gear to kick it up to and suddenly he no longer looked like the best player on the field. Seemingly overnight he became slow and washed up.

So now, I take what I see during the offseason with a grain of salt. Just because a guy looks solid in shorts and shells doesn't mean he's going to automatically take the world by storm. You're right though -- other writers who were on the sidelines last season were just as quick to praise Johnson, but I didn't really hear too many of them line up to admit they were wrong.

Either way, thanks for the kind words ... and, more importantly, for being one of the reasons I keep coming back to ES. Cheers.

I would only disagree with the Landry bit. Out of a possible 64 games, he has played in 56. I wouldn't quite call him "oft-injured"

Well, he hasn't been sidelined much, but he has been injured more than the number of games he has missed suggests. He has often played injured, including a reported 5 games prior to him finally being sidelined last year. And that itself could mean that Landry has trouble with nagging little injuries that prevent him from ever truly reaching his potential.

I think it might be a very salient point. Landry may be too much of a workout freak and some of that weight room work may be getting in his way in terms of agility, flexibility and resilience to injury.

Again, how do we know that if Landry dropped weight, he'd be as fast/as devastating/as strong. My guess is he may not be as fast or as strong, and with that comes less devastation. He may not be the same player at a lighter weight.

Then again, maybe he would be. We have no way of knowing.

I think it's a plausible explanation for his injuries, sure. But would he be LaRon Landry without the size?

Going Zen on you, KDawg.

Everything is balance. Too big is too big. Too little is too little. And baby bear's porridge was just right!

I don't know if Landry has worked out to the point where his body has a hard time dealing with what he asks of it, but it seems plausible as you agreed. The one thing everyone remarks about when seeing him, at least they did during preseason is just how huge and pumped up he is.

Going Zen on you, KDawg.

Everything is balance. Too big is too big. Too little is too little. And baby bear's porridge was just right!

I don't know if Landry has worked out to the point where his body has a hard time dealing with what he asks of it, but it seems plausible as you agreed. The one thing everyone remarks about when seeing him, at least they did during preseason is just how huge and pumped up he is.

I'm not sure how even someone as stubborn as KDawg can argue this one. I mean, Charles Mann never tried to make out with LaRon Landry during his rookie year, did he? Clearly the evolution of Landry has reached a point -- like Bo Jackson -- where he's officially categorized as a freak of nature. I'm just not sure Landry actually NEEDS to be that big. And I'm beginning to wonder if being that massive is part of the problem.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But I wouldn't be shocked if I wasn't.

I'm not sure how even someone as stubborn as KDawg can argue this one. I mean, Charles Mann never tried to make out with LaRon Landry during his rookie year, did he? Clearly the evolution of Landry has reached a point -- like Bo Jackson -- where he's officially categorized as a freak of nature. I'm just not sure Landry actually NEEDS to be that big. And I'm beginning to wonder if being that massive is part of the problem.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But I wouldn't be shocked if I wasn't.

I resemble that remark, jerk. :ols:

I'm not arguing it. I'm just saying that he may not be LaRon Landry at a smaller body size. That's all, #288, that's all.

5. LaRon Landry is the modern day Bo Jackson.

No, he’s not going to become a two-sport star by playing for the Kansas City Royals in the offseason. I see similarities between Jackson and Landry in a different way – and if I’m being honest, it’s not a good thing.

Jackson was so big and muscular, that there really was no such thing as a minor injury. And once he got nicked up, Jackson had trouble with nagging little injuries that prevented him from ever truly reaching his potential.

As often as Landry has been sidelined since he came to Washington … let’s just say I hope I’m wrong about this one.

Charles Mann says that you're wrong... :ols:

Clearly the evolution of Landry has reached a point -- like Bo Jackson -- where he's officially categorized as a freak of nature.

OTOH, Brett Favre played how many seasons, after he was officially classified as a Freak of Nature?

I'm not saying Landry = Favre. (Or that Safety equals QB.) More like wishful speculation.

Somebody already mentioned him but actually David Boston does come to mind with Landrys oversizedness, lol. That guy was huge just like Landry and after he got injured he came back even more huge than before and then was out of the league pretty quick.

And Boston went from being the up and coming possibly best receiver the league had ever seen, kinda like Bo Jackson was for RB's, to just gone in 2 years or so.

My concern with Landry isn't that he's too big, but that he clearly works out like a bodybuilder not a football player. I see a guy that's in love with isolation exercises like bench press and bicep curls instead of developing strength and proficiency in compound, dynamic movement.

A bench press is not an isolation exercise. It works the deltoids, traps, triceps, pecs, abs, biceps brachii, etc.

Somebody already mentioned him but actually David Boston does come to mind with Landrys oversizedness, lol. That guy was huge just like Landry and after he got injured he came back even more huge than before and then was out of the league pretty quick.

And Boston went from being the up and coming possibly best receiver the league had ever seen, kinda like Bo Jackson was for RB's, to just gone in 2 years or so.

Yes! I will always remember the cover of Sports illustrated with Boston on there looking like Debo :ols:. I think dude gained like 20lbs of muscle in one offseason, which is insane! But you're spot on, this does kind of reminds me of D. Boston.

OTOH, Brett Favre played how many seasons, after he was officially classified as a Freak of Nature?

I'm not saying Landry = Favre. (Or that Safety equals QB.) More like wishful speculation.

Favre stayed healthy for how many consecutive games in a row? Lets see Landry get back in the lineup before we start the crazy talk.

He hasn't been healthy since roughly Week 9 of last year (10 months ago, give or take). You're saying you're not the least bit concerned about Landry's health at this point? I'm simply saying that maybe if the guy wasn't so freaking jacked, he might not be on the shelf for such an extended amount of time.

Being a bit of a wise-guy here but you really should have compared Landry to Greg Cook :ols:

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about Landry. He's hurt. It's football. It happens.

Shanahan spent 60% of his press conference answering stupid questions about Landry's injury. Why is this being blown so far out of proportion?

When a high-profile player is injured for 10 months or so, fans begin to worry.

Archived