Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Anthony Armstrongs trade value?

HRNY4ZRNY

You don't trade a guy like AA because he's literally worthless, and if we started publicly shopping him we'd 1) be laughed at, and 2) would have a pissed off receiver.

Do any of you really think we could get a 7th round pick for him?

No way. Not after 1 season. This late he would have to learn an entirely different playbook. With us he is still a valuable player that can and will contribute. There is a lot of talent around him now. He will play much better, but I won't doubt his numbers will go down. Again, too much talent around him. I see some other receivers moving up and the depth chart ahead of him....Hank and Austin maybe. I would try to trade Stallworth and keep Armstrong personally....maybe after week 2. If trading was an absolute must. Personally I'm glad we kept the WRs we did. The fact is, if 1 should go down we aren't stuck with 2 mediocre Wrs starting like seasons past. If Moss should get a boo-boo, we've got Gaff, AA and Stallworth starting. That is a lot better than having Galloway, AA and Roydell Williams for ex.

You trade Stallworth for a 7th after a week or two, is what you do.

I agree. Armstrong has a strong year last season, and only started 11 games. He's a very good receiver, so why trade him?

Stallworth is the guy I believe we're keeping incase someone wants to deal.

---------- Post added September-6th-2011 at 12:44 PM ----------

I don't think there is a player on the roster that someone hasn't started a thread about trading him.

Here is a novel idea, let's grow our own players and keep them.

Absolutely. As soon as we get a great player that we've found, has learned the system, and has grown into the position (and for anyone not paying attention, AA's route running was lightyears ahead of where it was last season) we should keep that guy, especially when he's younger than our starters, even if only by a couple years, because in a couple years we'll be needing him.

Even Stevie Wonder could see McNabb was unable to get him the ball last year.

One of the dumer things said by you on here, sorry to point that out

AA on the entire season had 871 receiving yards

AA with McNabb minus the final three games had 672 receiving yards

How exactly was McNabb unable to get AA the football?

What's with always trying to trade homegrown talent?

He's got more value to us than anyone. He's a home run threat, and I think he's improved his route running, and...just no.

No more talk about trading people who actually friggin' perform for us and play well. You don't build a football team by trading solid players all the time.

Absolutely. People are so hyped up about the "potential" of our new players, that they can't wait to unload the guys who have actually proven something.

I wonder how many people were saying we should trade Santana Moss immediately after we drafted Thomas and Kelly?

I agree. Armstrong has a strong year last season, and only started 11 games. He's a very good receiver, so why trade him?

Stallworth is the guy I believe we're keeping incase someone wants to deal.

I agree with this

The idea that he's here simply because of Special teams play I don't believe is the truth

If we can trade Stallworth for any draft pick that would be a real good deal for a guy making vet minimum

Who's done nothing for the past 4 seasons. That would be a real good move

Re: What is Anthony Armstrongs trade value?

I have no idea, but trade value is subjective.

Armstrong is likely more valueable to this team then to any other team.

What if Leonard Hankerson steps up in that deep role faster than we expected... What could we get for Anthony Armstrong?
I love Hankerson skillset but not all WR start fast.

Expecting Hank to match Armstrong production from last year is asking a lot more then he's showed thus far.

Lets not forget: 44 catches 871 yards 3 TDs that's good for a whopping 19.8 ypc

I think he probably meant that he couldn't lead Armatrong properly down the field, at all. Armstrong may have had at least 3 more TD's to his name if he had. Of course, every burner can say that, every year. It just sticks out with McNabb because he's known for his deep ball.

What's the trade value for an undrafted 28 year-old with 1 pro season under his belt? Minimal I'd wager.

That said, after learning at the weekend that they were hawking Austin around, mainly trying to get something done with the Texans; I'd trade Armstrong, Moss, Gaffney or Stallworth if you could get anything before a guy who could play a part here for many years to come.

Something's got to give soon with the wide-out situation.

Hail..

Anything less than a 4th would be stupid on our part.

That said, trading AA would be stupid anyway. We find a guy who comes out of nowhere, gives us a new and exciting option in a spot we've been pretty horrible at for a long time, and now trading him comes up?

Excluding SM89 (and Cooley, but I'm only looking at the WR position), the passing game has just been... bad. Our WR corp has been a collection of nothing notable.

Seems like we need to let this group evolve into something good before we start looking at trade value of ANYBODY at WR. Maybe next year we can afford to risk a player like Armstong, but that's only if he doesn't improve from last year and IF 2 or more of our young guys really steps up.

What's the trade value for an undrafted 28 year-old with 1 pro season under his belt? Minimal I'd wager.

That said, after learning at the weekend that they were hawking Austin around, mainly trying to get something done with the Texans; I'd trade Armstrong, Moss, Gaffney or Stallworth if you could get anything before a guy who could play a part here for many years to come.

Something's got to give soon with the wide-out situation.

Hail..

*sigh*

The thing about it is...one, no one's going to give us anything for any of the rookies. If any team really wants one of the rookies we kept (or Austin for that matter), they'll just wait until we cut one of them and try to claim them off waivers.

Moss got a new contract that I doubt many teams are going to want to pick up. Gaff's not going to fetch any sort of compensation that will be worth it for us in the long run. We're not trading Banks. And Stallworth is making vet minimum on a one year deal, and provides depth in the event anyone gets hurt.

So at some point, you'd be trading guys just for the hell of trading them. Fact is most of these guys aren't going to get the kind of value that Mike and Bruce would want for them. If we're being honest, most of the guys we have now wouldn't get much, and despite what everyone thinks, having a bunch of 7th round draft picks isn't really the plus side that everyone thinks it is unless you just want a bunch of camp bodies.

We're better off keeping them all for now. I know that leaves other areas thin, but...that's the business of football sometimes. We've got 8 WR's that can contribute, potentially.

It's called depth. It's a new phenom around here, but it's a good thing.

I think he probably meant that he couldn't lead Armatrong properly down the field, at all. Armstrong may have had at least 3 more TD's to his name if he had. Of course, every burner can say that, every year. It just sticks out with McNabb because he's known for his deep ball.

If that was the case which it isn't but just for the sake of argument

First he says McNabb couldn't get him the ball and he obviously could

And

Without McNabb here AA with Grossman in three games had only one TD

Are you trying to get me to believe that Grossman can't lead him properly either?

I don't buy either arguement

Heres my thing.

I like AA, alot. Im trying to think of a position on our team that we have tons of depth at.

That is WR.

You have to trade someone good to get something good.

Lets say the Vikings have alot of CB's. (Not saying they do)

But if we could get a solid corner for Anthony Armstrong and it will benefit us in the long run I think you have to do it.

I think Anthony Armstrong is the best option for trade on our team. People might say it is Cooley but him being injured doesn't help out very much.

---------- Post added September-6th-2011 at 02:47 PM ----------

My vision is that the Vikings are really struggling through week 5. They are running the ball well and McNabb is getting the ball out to Harvin but they have no deep threat. They don't want to bring in T.O. or someone like that. So McNabb tells the coach that he had a deep threat receiver here in Washington that caught a bunch of deep balls.

Why is that scenario so unlikely?

I think a 4th round gets the job done. A 5th I'd have to think about.

---------- Post added September-6th-2011 at 02:49 PM ----------

You know whats really funny. The people here that say we could get nothing for AA would say we could get nothing for Vonnie Holiday, look how that turned out.

If that was the case which it isn't but just for the sake of argument

First he says McNabb couldn't get him the ball and he obviously could

And

Without McNabb here AA with Grossman in three games had only one TD

Are you trying to get me to believe that Grossman can't lead him properly either?

I don't buy either arguement

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm simply telling you that anyone with eyes last season could see that McNabb had trouble properly leading Armstrong down the field on deep balls. Many of Armstrong's deep catches were entirely on him making a great play, and not on McNabb making a great throw over his shoulder. Those were few and far between. Sometimes it was all on McNabb, and sometimes there were pass-rushers in his face. That happened a lot as well, of course.

That's all I'm saying.

If Terrell Owens was dealt for a #2 pick and Santonio Holmes was dealt for a #5 pick, then do the math to figure out that Armstrong isn't worth much in trade. Every team has guys like Armstrong on their roster. If another team suffered a number of injuries you might get a late pick for him but remember he is already 28 years old despite only having one season of playing time under his belt. He is not a 23 or 24 year old that has significant upside.

By the time Santana Moss was Armstrong's age he already had a number of 1,000 yard seasons under his belt as a starting WR.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm simply telling you that anyone with eyes last season could see that McNabb had trouble properly leading Armstrong down the field on deep balls. Many of Armstrong's deep catches were entirely on him making a great play, and not on McNabb making a great throw over his shoulder. Those were few and far between. Sometimes it was all on McNabb, and sometimes there were pass-rushers in his face. That happened a lot as well, of course.

That's all I'm saying.

Ok.....

Not sure how you can put all of those yards on AA making "plays" and take away from the QB

Did McNabb and Grossman throw some bad balls? Hell ya they did...but what QB didn't?

As for the idea that AA was some sort of BAMF receiver, if that's true which its not, if he was then we could get a draft pick for him

But explain CC being the 2nd leading yardage receiving TE last season in the league, would you say that McNabb and Grossman were throwing the ball in the wrong spots to him as well?

Or explain Tana's comeback season, again same question, 1000+ yard receiver, those balls were in the wrong spots too?

Your stringing together an arguement that taken in a vacume of one game you very well could be correct in saying that the QB didn't throw the football in the exact right spot and be right

But look at the overall picture at our receivers on this team last year and it doesn't hold any truth.

The truth is that none of these three would have had the numbers they did if the QB position was lacking like you discribe

Ya...but your not trying to argue...rolls eyes. Hahahaha

Hmm, You've pointed out someting, but it's not what you think.

How many times did you see McNabb WOEFULLY underthrow him after he had toasted the secondary?

You mean to tell me you don't remember ANY of that?

As I said, if McNabb could have caught up to him, he'd have had 4 or 5 more TD and nearly a 1000 yard season.

Many of his deep catches last year ended up with him having to practically stop and wait for the ball.

Here's his DEEP highlights.

Note they only show six or so plays.

He's hit in stride on 3 of them. He has to stop and wait on the ball numerous times. The play against the Vikings was an indicator of how it went all year. He blows BY the defense, has an easy TD, and the throw holds him up.

Again, they show about 6 plays.

he had 7 plays of more than 40 yards last year. 4th in the NFL

He had 15 plays of 20+. so he had 22 plays of over 20 yards, and they only show six. In half of them he's underthrown. (Including the TD vs Green Bay. Good result, not such a good pass considering the seperation at the time of the break compared to the arrival of the ball that is behind him.)

The GB throw i'll give McNabb that he was pressured, but if he just lays it out to the entire other half of the end zone, that defender disappears.. armstrong has to JOG at the five to let the ball catch up.

(The pass in the blowout vs the Eagles was nice. Best one.)

The thing you can take away from this is he gets ridiculous separation. Yards of it. Over and over. He has almost 2 dozen long plays, and only 3 scores. Somehow he blows by everyone, catches long passes, and doesn't score.

It's because he has to wait on the ball.

He had 22 plays of over 20 yards, 3 TDs.

Conversely, Guys with at least that many:

Mike wallace - 36 plays over 20 yards, 10 TD

Brandon Lloyd, 32 over 20, 9 TD

Greg Jennings 27 plays over 20, 12 TD

Andre Johnson 23 long plays, 8 TD

DeSean Jackson had 29 long plays, and 6 TDs, he seems to be the anomaly of the big names

But Armstrong is up there in those names with 22, yet only 3 TDs.

I've said this in a bunch of threads. A top priority of our QB should be to throw as many deep passes to him in practice as they can until they develp rapport. he BLOWS the doors off of defenders. If anyone can synch up to him, his highlight reel is going to be a LOT more than just 6 plays.

~Bang

Archived