Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Jarmon/Gaffney and Holliday/Hightower Trades in Hindsight

TSO

No one is saying Jarmon wouldn't have done anything... just that he wouldn't have on this team. Honestly, where would you put him on this team right now and in front of who?

You know what? I challenge anyone in this thread to put Jarmon on this roster, and let me know who gets cut for him. Let's hear it. There's no way around the fact that both of these trades were some of the best trades an FO can make, period.

Just seen this. Golston or Scott. Jarmon beats them both hands down as a rushing threat.

I now challenge you to argue that a rush end is not vital to a top level 34, and explain who's better than Jarmon in that regard. A Jarmon that was bulking up to be more than just a guy for nickel packages and more a multi-down end if needed. :evilg:

Hail.

Broncos cut Jarmon Today.....

---------- Post added September-3rd-2011 at 05:31 PM ----------

Broncos cut Jarmon Today...

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but we did give up a 3rd for Jarmon and we gave the Cards a late round pick for Hightower. We also dropped a few picks on RBs this draft, so if any of those RBs get cut you could say that we essentially used their pick to acquire Hightower. Also keep in mind that the Broncos could potentially get 10 years out of Jarmon, while even if we're being optimistic we're looking at 2 productive seasons out of Gaffney.

What defender would you cut to bring him back?
Darrion Scott. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's way below Jarmon, right?

Not sure what position he plays, but Edgar Jones has done nothing for us.

Definitely cut Stallworth to take Jarmon, if Stallworth would be here otherwise.

Just seen this. Golston or Scott. Jarmon beats them both hands down as a rushing threat..
I'm biased, because I've liked Golston ever since he outlasted Anthony Montgomery (heart over size and talent!). But Golston has been with us awhile, and did well last season. LINK No way do you cut Golston, IMO.

I guess it depends on how the roster shakes out but I would put Jarmon ahead of D. Scott and Golston: DE and after: Jenkins, Carriker, Bowen.

You would? We'll have to disagree to agree to disagree to agree. :pfft:

Scott has had one heck of a preseason, and Golston is a legtimate starter in this league. Just don't see it, personally. He could've beat Golston out last season, but didn't.

---------- Post added September-3rd-2011 at 11:04 PM ----------

Just seen this. Golston or Scott. Jarmon beats them both hands down as a rushing threat.

I now challenge you to argue that a rush end is not vital to a top level 34, and explain who's better than Jarmon in that regard. A Jarmon that was bulking up to be more than just a guy for nickel packages and more a multi-down end if needed. :evilg:

Hail.

Golston is better, my man. You haven't watched him lately, have you? He's rushed the passer well, and has been dominant against the run. Sorry, but I'm basing this off of his play. My bro-n-law is a huge Broncos fan so I've watched plenty of Jarmon this preseason. Unfortunately, injuries on the Broncos led him to play a lot more DT and he was pretty pedestrian doing it. He didn't stand out when he played at DE, either. Golston, on the other hand, has stood out... you just haven't paid attention to his play but he's consistently bested the opposing player lined up against him this preseason. Granted, they were mostly second-stringers, but still, that's what you want to see.

I whole heartedly agree with you on the THT trade. But I TOTALLY disagree on the Gafney one.

I've never understood this belief that Jarmon couldn't transition to a 34 end. If you want to run an elite 34 D, it's imperative you have linemen that can rush the opposing QB. Doing that opens up so many more options with the guys behind, your LB's and safeties. (Not that I'm convinced Coach Haslett is that inventive to ever do that anyways, but that's another story.). Jeremy Jarmon, since Orakpo and the rookie Kerrigan have been moved to OLB, was our best option to do that on this team, and was productive in the meagre time he actually got to play. (I just looked it up out of interest. He was on the field for a mere 65 total snaps last year, of which 48 were rushes with 6 QB pressures and a sack. By far and away the best pass rush rate per snap on the team.). He spent most of last year working on bulking up his body by 30 pounds and more for the rigors required of a 34 end. Hell, he's bigger now than the guy who went in the other trade you mentioned, Holliday.

I agree. Especially since such a large portion of the draft was spent on WR's anyway and we have 8 on the roster, lol. But lets be honest, Shanahan was known in denver for usually having a top 10 offense and bottom 10 defense, thats not likely to change here doing things like this.

I respectfully TOTALLY disagree that Golston is a better rush end than Jarmon tso. And that's taking pre-season into account. Purely going off their respective body's of work, naturally you'd have Golston as a better end to hold up against the run. (Not that Jarmon hasn't worked hard on bulking up his frame, but that still remains to be seen on the field.). But to suggest Golston is a better pass rusher and a legit starter in this league going off exhibition games is to totally look at it through B&G tinted glasses man IMHO, to be kind.

Time will out I guess this year against better opposition in games that actually matter as to how much or not Golston's improved; as I'm sure he'll be called upon in rotation.

Hail.

I think it's because they were trying to do what the Rams did with Carriker - play him inside. Neither guy is a 43 DT. I still think Jarmon is capable of playing 34 DE.

Jarmon can only play DE in our 3-4 in the nickel package. He simply was a liability against the run last year when he played on running downs. It may be that he has gained weight and strength from last year when he was asked to play OLB first then moved back to DE - but I doubt he can ever be a 3 down DE in a 3-4 scheme.

I have no idea what Denver tried to do with him or what his competition was but I'm surpassed he did not stick as a LDE in a 4-3.

I would be very surprised if we picked him up here again - just not a good scheme fit.

By all accounts they tried moving him inside Martin to DT, which I guess would still be a fair knock on his strength as he didn't hold up through the change. (Although his cut has surprised Broncos fans and analysts alike from what I've been reading, so it couldn't of been that poor.).

Still say he was by far and away the best rush end option we had, or would have if he was still here.

Hail.

I respectfully TOTALLY disagree that Golston is a better rush end than Jarmon tso. And that's taking pre-season into account. Purely going off their respective body's of work, naturally you'd have Golston as a better end to hold up against the run. (Not that Jarmon hasn't worked hard on bulking up his frame, but that still remains to be seen on the field.). But to suggest Golston is a better pass rusher and a legit starter in this league going off exhibition games is to totally look at it through B&G tinted glasses man IMHO, to be kind.

Time will out I guess this year against better opposition in games that actually matter as to how much or not Golston's improved; as I'm sure he'll be called upon in rotation.

Hail.

Golston started 13 games for us last season. This preseason he had 7 tackles and 1 sack. More importantly, he's doing what a 3-4 DE does, help the run D and free the LBs. Now we have Bowen, Jenkens (next season), Carriker etc., Golston may indeed be a rotational player, but he's still a valuable one.

Hail.

Golston started 13 games for us last season. This preseason he had 7 tackles and 1 sack. More importantly, he's doing what a 3-4 DE does, help the run D and free the LBs. Now we have Bowen, Jenkens (next season), Carriker etc., Golston may indeed be a rotational player, but he's still a valuable one.

Hail.

This I know all too well HG28 man. He's had 43 starts his 5 years as a pro. But do you honestly think he'd start for many of the better D's in this league? I hate to be down on one of our own that we drafted, but Kedric Golston is nothing more than a reliable back-up IMHO if truth be told. Now that's not to say he doesn't have his worth at present here, but as to the discussion I'd take a 34 rush end behind the front 3 over another run stuffer.

Hail.

Jarmon can only play DE in our 3-4 in the nickel package. He simply was a liability against the run last year when he played on running downs. It may be that he has gained weight and strength from last year when he was asked to play OLB first then moved back to DE - but I doubt he can ever be a 3 down DE in a 3-4 scheme.

I have no idea what Denver tried to do with him or what his competition was but I'm surpassed he did not stick as a LDE in a 4-3.

I would be very surprised if we picked him up here again - just not a good scheme fit.

Perhaps Martin. Jarmon was making strides I thought when we were running the 43 here with Fat Albert in the middle. He was injured for most of the year we 1st made the change to 34. He was the same size as Holliday and now he is bigger going around 290lbs. I don't see how any definitive decision could have been reached about JJ when he never got the opportunity to play in it with any duration. I also think attitude was a problem and there may have been a conflict with Haslett. I just liked the guy. Under Vincent, we rarely used draft picks early on a DL aside from Orakpo. I was happy with the selection and wanted to see him succeed. I still think we may have cut the cord too soon with him, but what's done is done.

..... I still think we may have cut the cord too soon with him, but what's done is done.

Sadly for those of us that think Jarmon still has a heck of a lot to offer, that's the top and bottom of it Chump man. It's done. Bar a change in DC, it's not being revisited, and it's all a moot point debating the hypothetical what if's.

Hail.

Sadly for those of us that think Jarmon still has a heck of a lot to offer, that's the top and bottom of it Chump man. It's done. Bar a change in DC, it's not being revisited, and it's all a moot point debating the hypothetical what if's.

Hail.

Very true Hog. Let's back Jenkins now. We now have a new 'youngster' to root for.

You would? We'll have to disagree to agree to disagree to agree. :pfft:

Scott has had one heck of a preseason, and Golston is a legtimate starter in this league. Just don't see it, personally. He could've beat Golston out last season, but didn't.

C'mon you're better then that.

We both know that teams make mistakes with playing time.

Take Kemo vs Bryant at NT:

Can you honestly say that Kemo was a better NT then Bryant?

Yet Bryant didn't see big minutes nor start til the final 3 games of the season.

I could go over a litany of personnel mistakes but I accept that every team makes mistakes.

I'm not making a negative value judgement of the entire FO if I point out that Bryant should have been player over Kemo am I?

No, I'm just pointing out that in they made a mistake in that situation.

Golston maybe a legitmate starter in a 43 but as 3-4 DE he was just a guy.

He was getting pushed back, couldn't set the edge wasn't effective in 2-gap and couldn't generate a pass rush.

Holliday and Jarmon and Scott were our best pass rushing DE and we barely found out that Jarmon or Scott could play til the last 3 weeks and Holliday only say an uptick in playing time towards the end of the season.

I think any of the 3 deserved and would have been better then Golston.

I'm not just spit balling I kept a close watch on the defense especially in the final 3 games.

I applaud the thread you made before about (Jackson, Scott etc) because I made similar observations about those players last year in the final 3 games.

Even highlighted their play with screen cap images, so I have been paying attention.

We just disagree.

-Cheers

Of course the McNabb trade was a big ugly wart on the front office last year, but the Jarmon/Gaffney deal, the Vonnie/Hightower deal, and the Beck/Doug Dutch!!! deal all look brilliant. 3 rostered players for 3 guys who couldn't make their team and wouldn't be on ours. Terrific.

Don't forget the Carriker deal, with only swapped 5th rounders.

Hail.

Indeed, we shall see. :)

Exhibition games or not, if you can line up against the guy in front of you and get to the QB quickly more often than not, that usually means you can pass rush effectively. Remember Orakpo's first preseason? He consistently beat his guy, second-stringer or third-stringer and that was a sign of things to come. You can't ask them to do more than beat the guy in front of them, and Golston did it this preseason consistently.

Archived