Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan's Jedi Mind Tricks II: Sex Cannon in dead heat with Admiral Checkdown? Shanahan deserves Coach of the Year, if not an Oscar

Atlanta Skins Fan

Just listened to J Reid on 106.7 a few minutes ago, I'll give that part of it is in line with ASF's thoughts. Reid said the same source who told him Beck wins the job, called him when reviewing the tape of the last game and told him that Beck seemed rattled and looked like he was giving in to the pressure of the game. What got them the most about his performance was him starring down receivers. He was more or less implying that Beck still had a shot at the job but fell flat on his face in that game. He was like a different guy according to that source in that game and it disturbed them because they wondered if the pressure got to him.

If this is theater, who is the intended audience?

I have a funny feeling it's the Lord of the Dark Heart.

I've had a theory that Dan Snyder was opposed to Rex Grossman as the starting QB of the Redskins, going back to the day that Grossman signed with the team in early 2009. That he made his opinions known very clearly, and that this resulted somehow in the acquisition of Donovan McNabb, with or without Snyder's direct involvement in that trade.

Kudos, you finally found a way to get Snyder involved - or at least complicit - in the conspiracy theory/Jedi mind trick. It was the one loose end from your perspective.

Snyder could of course just have felt that he had two QBs who he felt could be the starter, evaluated them both through camp and preseason and felt at the end that Rex was the guy to go with.

Kudos, you finally found a way to get Snyder involved - or at least complicit - in the conspiracy theory/Jedi mind trick. It was the one loose end from your perspective.

Dan Snyder has strong feelings about QBs and WRs. He personally scouted Patrick Ramsey, insisted that he be drafted, and forced him on Spurrier. While Campbell was a Gibbs pick (as we're told), Snyder went with Campbell after Gibbs resigned, a choice that forced out both Gregg Williams and Al Saunders. The back story is that Williams wanted to retain Saunders as OC and keep going with Collins as QB heading into 2008, and Snyder and Vinny insisted that Campbell would be the guy. So, Snyder ended up dropping Gibbs's hand-picked successor in order to ensure that Campbell was QB. This then became a filter for other candidates, because Snyder and Cerrato hired Zorn as OC, prior to securing a head coach. This to avoid another conflict over retaining Saunders / Collins, while giving Campell the opportunity to learn from a respected QB coach.

Then of course there is the J. Reid disclosures recently that both Malcolm Kelly and Haynesworth were Snyder picks all the way. Snyder has clearly felt for a long time that picking the stars of the team (in addition to the head coach) was his prerogative as owner.

As a "superfan" and a guy who cares a lot about marketing and PR, Snyder would have been repelled by the idea of Rex Grossman as starting QB. He's already on record (via Gregg Williams leaks) as being repelled by Collins, whose chief crime was being a pencil-necked backup most of his career. Grossman was national poster boy for QB choke artist. Just ask ESPN.

Shortly after the Shanahans arrived, they signed Grossman as QB, supposedly to back up Campbell. Fans assumed that Shanahan would draft a QB high, and Shanahan mentioned in a presser that he liked Bradford a lot:

Mike Shanahan on Sam Bradford (pre-draft / pre-McNabb trade):

"I think he'll be a longtime pro. He's a good quarterback obviously. He's very accurate, quick release, very smart. All of the intangibles that you look for in a quarterback."

Sam Bradford on Mike Shanahan, April 3, 2010:

"If you look at some of [Denver's] offenses and look at the things that Elway was able to do, I think it's pretty cool to think that I might have the chance to one day play in that offense. I think that's pretty exciting."

I was fully on board the effort to try to make a trade with the Rams for the right to pick Bradford, but that never transpired.

Why not? Conventional wisdom is that the Rams wouldn't budge. Maybe they wouldn't, but the trade for McNabb went down 18 days prior to the draft. In my experience, big deals don't happen until they need to happen: no one reveals their final position until the end. We never found out, because the trade happened first.

The sequence:

• Jan. 5: Mike Shanahan announced as Redskins head coach
  • Jan. 20: Kyle Shanahan announced as Redskins OC
  • Mar. 17: Rex Grossman signed
  • Apr. 3: Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy reported as scheduled to visit Redskin Park April 6 (source)
  • Apr. 4: Redskins trade two picks for Donovan McNabb
  • Apr. 6: Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy visit Redskin Park (source)
  • Apr. 22: 2010 NFL draft
  • Apr. 24: Campbell traded for 4th round pick in 2012 draft

That's just loopy. Who schedules a visit with the 2 best QBs in the draft, then executes a trade for McNabb 2 days before? Who's hitting the panic button?

I believe that Shanahan wanted Bradford (or McCoy) enough that he wouldn't have made the deal for McNabb 18 days early, without some other factor. That factor could easily have been an ultimatum from Snyder: the Washington Redskins will not trot out Rex Grossman as starter for Game 1. Which might be likely if the Redskins couldn't get Bradford. (They also liked McCoy.) We know that Kyle Shanahan was pulling for Grossman and adamantly opposed to McNabb. So we are to suppose that Mike Shanahan ignores his son and gives up on Bradford (and McCoy) ... blows off a scheduled April 6 visit with Bradford and McCoy ... and impetuously trades for the aging McNabb, 2 days before that visit by Bradford and McCoy, and a full 18 days before the draft? WTF?

Kyle Shanahan quit his job as a highly respected young OC for the Texans in order to come to the Redskins and work for his father. He succeeds in getting Grossman signed. He succeeds (later) in getting Campbell traded. In between ... the team trades for McNabb, over his strong objections.

In my opinion, Shanahan was hot for Bradford / McCoy and OK with Grossman as a transitional starter / backup QB. Kyle was also hot for Bradford / McCoy but higher on Grossman as a medium-term starter (~4 years). These conditions do not lead to a trade for McNabb 18 days before the draft.

I believe Snyder thought that Grossman would be a stupid choice as a starter, and would additionally cost him money by failing to ignite fan support. He probably expected a fan rebellion. When Shanahan couldn't deliver the Rams pick, he pressed Shanahan and Allen for a better answer. We know that Vinny was pushing for Jimmy Clausen: he's on record as saying that Clausen would have been his pick at #4. Snyder knows this and pushes for Clausen: but no dice. Shanahan says he likes McCoy over Clausen, and that McCoy is visiting with Bradford on April 6.

Shanahan is probably saying, "Hey, we'll try for Bradford, but it doesn't look good. I say we draft McCoy and roll with Grossman to start the year."

For Snyder, McCoy is the next Tom Collins. Vinny says he's not an NFL QB.

McNabb is a classic Snyder choice: the aging Pro Bowler, familiar to him from all the division games and playoff games. McNabb is Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith and Albert Haynesworth. If Snyder didn't think of him first, he sure as hell approved McNabb as the solution to Not Starting Grossman in 2010, and Not Drafting Colt McCoy in 2010. One trade knocks out both Grossman and McCoy, while jump-starting the "R U In?" 2010 marketing campaign with McNabb as the front man. That's a grand slam for Dan Snyder.

ASF -- My own take is that the main reason we traded for McNabb was to then offer him to the Rams along with all the draft picks, to sweeten the pot for the no. 1 pick. That way the Rams would have a solid veteran QB to run their team and make them respectable while they were assembling all of that young talent (in part with a lot of extra Redskin draft picks). There were some rumors to this effect floating around in the week before the draft, and that would explain why we didn't sign DMac to a new contract at the time of the trade, which never made sense to me, unless it was the Rams who were going to negotiate the contract. Then in the final days before the draft, the Rams decided to go with Bradford, regardless, so we had to go with our fall back position, which was McNabb as the starter. I do agree with you that Shanny never really wanted McNabb as his starter, but I really think that he thought that he could make the trade with the Rams and get Bradford.

ASF -- My own take is that the main reason we traded for McNabb was to then offer him to the Rams along with all the draft picks, to sweeten the pot for the no. 1 pick. That way the Rams would have a solid veteran QB to run their team and make them respectable while they were assembling all of that young talent (in part with a lot of extra Redskin draft picks). There were some rumors to this effect floating around in the week before the draft, and that would explain why we didn't sign DMac to a new contract at the time of the trade, which never made sense to me, unless it was the Rams who were going to negotiate the contract. Then in the final days before the draft, the Rams decided to go with Bradford, regardless, so we had to go with our fall back position, which was McNabb as the starter. I do agree with you that Shanny never really wanted McNabb as his starter, but I really think that he thought that he could make the trade with the Rams and get Bradford.

I've heard that theory, but I have three problems with it:

1. Way too risky to get McNabb in advance. Why jump the gun instead of executing a 3-team trade?
  2. They spend a #2 and #4 pick for McNabb, which are picks they would have needed to make a play for the Rams #1 pick.
  3. Grossman / McCoy was a better fallback plan after Bradford / Grossman, than McNabb / Grossman.

"At this point" I agree. April 2010?

As a new hire brought in after the Vinny/Snyder/Zorn disaster Shanny had his maximum leverage and capital right after he was hired. Shanny's expertise is on offense and QBs. No way Snyder tried to influence the QB decision in 2010 or now and if he tried no way Shanny would have listened.

Shanny is not Zorn. He would resign if Snyder tried to meddle.

Why the hell are there still people that believe that the Rams were going to do anything BUT draft Sam Bradford?

It would've taken more than a 1, 2 and a 4 to get Sam Bradford. The Rams needed a quarterback. We had nothing close to the leverage to get the first pick overall from the Rams, when the Rams absolutely and completely needed a quarterback. They were not going into another season with A.J Feeley being the guy. Bradford was their guy. Period.

So now ASF's story is changing. This isn't just a conspiracy theory; it's a conspiracy to stop ANOTHER conspiracy.

In ASF's mind, Mike Shanahan masterminded this whole quarterback competition as an attempt to undermine Dan Snyder's constant meddling in the teams affairs.

Of course, that begs the question, if Dan still had so much power and was able to, essentially, force Mike Shanahan to trade for Donovan McNabb...why the hell not do that again? Why allow Mike Shanahan to let a man who he "obviously" didn't like and a man who never did anything other than suck (in what would be Dan's mind here, if we're going by the evil owner conspiracy theory) to have an open competition?

If that is the case and Dan's all about marketability, why wouldn't force the Redskins hands and force Mike to trade up to draft Cam Newton? Now there's a marketable kid, megawatt smile, guaranteed jersey and ticket seller right there. Or why not force the team to draft Blaine Gabbert at number 10? Trading down for some defensive end no one heard about doesn't jive well with this theory. Blaine Gabbert? The kid LOOKS like a quarterback. Can you imagine the hype machine, the marketing campaigns?

Why not trade for Kevin Kolb, then? Why not try and break down and try and trade for Carson Palmer by any means necessary?

If you're going to come up with wacky conspiracy theories, sir, please make sure that it's not so easy to poke holes in them.

Or become an Iggles fan or something.

McNabb is a classic Snyder choice: the aging Pro Bowler, familiar to him from all the division games and playoff games. McNabb is Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith and Albert Haynesworth. If Snyder didn't think of him first, he sure as hell approved McNabb as the solution to Not Starting Grossman in 2010, and Not Drafting Colt McCoy in 2010. One trade knocks out both Grossman and McCoy, while jump-starting the "R U In?" 2010 marketing campaign with McNabb as the front man. That's a grand slam for Dan Snyder.

Awesome. Whole post is awesome, but I didn't want to quote the whole thing because there's probably some rule about that. ASF is the man...

Not only from his reasoning in that post, but also from the standpoint of the entire 2010 off-season and the one move that DIDN'T fit in with the rest of the rebuilding program:

Cut 10 veterans - check.

Implement brand new offensive and defensive schemes, even though the roster isn't built for those schemes, in the interests of getting the team familiar with the new systems - check.

Acquire young, low-priced free agents or castoffs for little-to-no compensation - check.

Re-sign younger, productive free agents from your own roster - check.

Position the roster and cap so the team can be active and selective under the new CBA - check

Acquire a 34-year-old quarterback for 2 draft choices - huh?

Awesome. Whole post is awesome, but I didn't want to quote the whole thing because there's probably some rule about that. ASF is the man...

Not only from his reasoning in that post, but also from the standpoint of the entire 2010 off-season and the one move that DIDN'T fit in with the rest of the rebuilding program:

Cut 10 veterans - check.

Implement brand new offensive and defensive schemes, even though the roster isn't built for those schemes, in the interests of getting the team familiar with the new systems - check.

Acquire young, low-priced free agents or castoffs for little-to-no compensation - check.

Re-sign younger, productive free agents from your own roster - check.

Position the roster and cap so the team can be active and selective under the new CBA - check

Acquire a 34-year-old quarterback for 2 draft choices - huh?

Well, there was also the "30 and over RB club" with Portis, Parker, and Johnson.

Maybe Snyder pushed for some moves. Maybe Shanny decided to see first hand what the vets had in a season, before the 75% roster change.

Agreed the McNabb move does not fit the others you listed. The "old RB club" is the only other large anomaly that jumps out at me. Good observation.

I think ASF is throwing stuff out there. Some factual, some speculative, and he's leaving it to us to figure out which is which. Quality OPs.

...This is going to becomie a "Dan still pulls the strings" thread, isn't it?

No, it's not.

I think Snyder's major involvement ended around the final benching of McNabb. It was on a sharp decline all year.

There's a fine line between meddling and serious business concerns. I think that any meddling by Snyder early in 2010 was likely expressed as a business concern. Such as:

"If you'd like me to pay your salary, we need to increase ticket and jersey sales. Our marketing surveys tell me that both Grossman and McCoy will decrease sales, and McNabb will substantially increase sales: 20% year over year. Do you have a better alternative to avoid creating a loss in 2010?"

That's a pretty hard-core conversation. It's less about superfan than cash flow and profit.

No, it's not.

I think Snyder's major involvement ended around the final benching of McNabb. It was on a sharp decline all year.

There's a fine line between meddling and serious business concerns. I think that any meddling by Snyder early in 2010 was likely expressed as a business concern. Such as:

"If you'd like me to pay your salary, we need to increase ticket and jersey sales. Our marketing surveys tell me that both Grossman and McCoy will decrease sales, and McNabb will substantially increase sales: 20% year over year. Do you have a better alternative to avoid creating a loss in 2010?"

That's a pretty hard-core conversation. It's less about superfan than cash flow and profit.

That's a pretty friggin' bogus argument, if you ask me. Dan still makes plenty of money on the football team, and yet again, that begs the question "why did he all the sudden decide to turn over a new leaf?". Did he just sort of expect that the loss in jersey sales was going to be inevitable and throw his hands up? If he thought Grossman (was going to be, essentially, bad for business, why wouldn't he step in and make a play for a guy that would help his bottom line this year when the same was going to happen?

The McNabb trade is always going to be confusing, but I think Dan had frak all to do with it.

That's a pretty friggin' bogus argument, if you ask me. Dan still makes plenty of money on the football team, and yet again, that begs the question "why did he all the sudden decide to turn over a new leaf?". Did he just sort of expect that the loss in jersey sales was going to be inevitable and throw his hands up? If he thought Grossman (was going to be, essentially, bad for business, why wouldn't he step in and make a play for a guy that would help his bottom line this year when the same was going to happen?

The McNabb trade is always going to be confusing, but I think Dan had frak all to do with it.

The Redskins marketed in a bigger way in 2010 than they ever have in their history. McNabb was the front man, along with Shanahan.

The campaign started in July if not earlier. Now we know that Snyder has had to remove many seats from FedEx to preserve sellouts. The teams finances have crashed due to a combination of a terrible team and terrible economy, exacerbated by "sign-gate," etc.. Coming off a 4-12 season, hiring Shanahan was not enough. Most casual fans yawned. It was McNabb who was the game changer, for fan interest. No one wanted to see Jason Campbell, or Grossman, or some rookie McCoy they'd never heard of.

I do not believe that was an accident. McNabb was a business decision.

Washington Post Business

Redskins launch ad campaign to sell luxury suites

Monday, July 19, 2010; 13

The half-page ad in recent issues of the Wall Street Journal jumped out from the newspaper: "Redskins Suite Ownership. Proven and cost-effective investment to enhance relationships and grow your business."

Once the hottest ticket in town, demand to see the Washington Redskins may have cooled a bit, thanks to several mediocre seasons, dashed playoff hopes and a wheezing economy.

Still, according to Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie, the team has sold all but 14 of its 250 suites, which start at $90,000 a year.

"We are putting these ads everywhere. In addition to the Journal, we advertise in The Washington Post, on billboards and buses. It's part of the whole campaign."

The ads include photos of new general manager Bruce Allen, new coach Mike Shanahan and new quarterback Donovan McNabb. There is also a photo of a couple of Redskins cheerleaders.

The Redskins -- like many other college and professional sports teams -- are fighting head winds in selling expensive luxury suites as the business world recovers from what many have called the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

"This is really an issue around professional and college sports," said Wyllie, who joined the Redskins last month. "The bottom line -- we are making everyone aware. It's an exciting time right now."

-- Thomas Heath

WCP / McKenna

are-you-in-225x300.jpg

Dan Snyder to Use Dubious Grammar, Dubiouser Accuracy In Next Attempt to Move Club Seats?

Posted by Dave McKenna on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:29 am

A Georgetown grad student who identifies himself as a Redskins media intern has posted details of, and a visual from, what he says will be the next marketing campaign the team will use to try to unload unsold premium seats for the 2010 season.

"Sales of these seats have been poor and thus we put our heads together to move inventory," writes Will Ober on his personal blog. "Our department was tasked with creating a television commercial as part of a new marketing campaign focusing on the new image of a revamped Redskins team and front office."

The not-yet-kickstarted TV campaign, as posted by Ober, features three folks — Bruce Allen (dubbed "The Architect" in the spots), Mike Shanahan ("The Leader"), and Donovan McNabb ("The Franchise Quarterback") — who will save the team and sell some tickets. That means the Skins' top three selling points heading into this year's training camp have one big thing in common: None of 'em were at last year's training camp.

Among the campaign's key catchphrases: "Redskins Club Seats: It's Everything The Ultimate Fan Could Want."

To end on a positive note, however: The campaign's use of the circled R and feather logo to replace the "Are" in another of the new catchphrases — "Are you in?" — looks brilliant.

Sure, that logo will only mean something to geezers who still hold the George Allen Era dear: It was last seen on Skins helmets in 1971, Allen's first year here as coach.

But that's the demographic Bruce Allen, George's son, has been soliciting ever since he got here.

Examiner

'R you in?' Redskins craft slick new marketing campaign

By Michael Hoffman, Washington Redskins Examiner

After a 4-12 year in which Jim Zorn, who would be trustworthy as a used car salesman but not an NFL coach, called the worst play in NFL history, the focus this season is clearly on showing that the Redskins are serious again.

That means getting a new coach, a new GM and a new quarterback. If you are the Washington Redskins, it also means the crafting of an ad campaign with a Jerry Bruckheimer level of deeply pulsating drums and dramatic close-ups.

What's interesting here is that this is the first time in quite awhile that I've even seen the Redskins even mount a real ad campaign. With the longest streak of home sellouts in the NFL, a record that carries all the way back to 1967, the Redskins simply didn't need one. However when you carry the type of tradition that most franchise can only dream of, and then step off that peak and become the one team considered the only easy win in the NFC East, there are going to be problems. Compound that with a whole slew of issues ranging beyond wins and losses, the brief banning of signs, the deeply ingrained idea that Daniel Snyder is a money-swilling leach whose ego allows him to think he knows football, and it's clear that the Redskins do indeed a makeover. We're talking a makeover in actual reality and what we see on the field, and we're also talking a makeover in how the franchise wants us to perceive what to expect on the field.

For as you know, we may have a 304-game sellout streak, but everyone knows there are shocking cracks in the armor. We saw that when Pittsburgh Steelers fans took over Fed Ex in a Monday night game a couple years ago, and we saw that when the Redskins embarrassed us all in front of a half empty Fed Ex last season when the Chiefs came to town.

Redskins_ad.jpg

Above: actual print ad from campaign

Here again is the Redskins big 2010 marketing campaign video, "R You In?," kicked off in July 2010:

Now, let's try that campaign as a focus group might see it, with three different QBs:

• Donovan McNabb
  • Rex Grossman
  • Colt McCoy

Donovan McNabb: R You In?

The pieces are in place.

The architect has arrived. [Graphic: General Manager BRUCE ALLEN]

The leader is in command. [Graphic: Head Coach MIKE SHANAHAN]

And the franchise quarterback is in the huddle. [Graphic: Quarterback DONOVAN MCNABB]

MCNABB: “Are you in?”

2010mkg-ruin-mcnabb.jpg

CLUB SEATS AVAILABLE

VIP SEATS AND PARKING

NEW HD 100-FOOT WIDE VIDEOBOARDS

EXCLUSIVE YEAR-ROUND EVENTS

R you in?

RedskinsClubSeats.com

877-500-CLUB

Rex Grossman: R You In?

The pieces are in place.

And the franchise quarterback is in the huddle. [Graphic: Quarterback REX GROSSMAN]

GROSSMAN: “Are you in?”

grossman-sunglasses.jpg

CLUB SEATS AVAILABLE

VIP SEATS AND PARKING

R you in?

RedskinsClubSeats.com

877-500-CLUB

Colt McCoy: R You In?

The pieces are in place.

And the franchise quarterback is in the huddle. [Graphic: Quarterback COLT MCCOY]

MCCOY: “Are you in?”

mccoy-separated-at-birth.jpg

CLUB SEATS AVAILABLE

VIP SEATS AND PARKING

R you in?

RedskinsClubSeats.com

877-500-CLUB

Yeah, I know the frakking marketing campaign.

Why couldn't the trade for McNabb just be a (bad) football decision? Mike thought he saw something he liked in Donovan and thought he could tweak or fix the things he didn't, and then found out McNabb wasn't the guy he wanted? Thought he had more talent on his football team than he did and wanted stability at the quarterback position, since Jason Campbell was being chased out of town by the organization and the fanbase alike, wanted to try and make a run, or at the very least get a guy who every wouldn't want to chuck out of town after his first interception.

And then upon trading for Donovan McNabb, which was kind of a big deal, THEN the Redskins organization built a marketing campaign based around the concept of a new start, new front office, head coach, quarterback, et. al in an attempt to win back some disillusioned fans?

Why is it always a conspiracy theory with you? You're reading between the lines, when the lines read, in big bolded letters, "THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY HERE."

And it still doesn't explain why, if Dan still had enough power within the organization to essentially force his head coach to trade for a quarterback he didn't want, he wouldn't once again assert his authority over Mike to make sure that Mike traded for someone like Kyle Orton, or why he wouldn't force Mike and Bruce to trade up in the draft to pick up Cam Newton, who would more or less slip seemlessly into the "R U In" campaign if Dan was running it.

You're asserting that Dan Snyder had enough power in the organization to force the trade for McNabb, but then all the sudden Mike and Bruce were like "well we can't let him do that anymore!" and suddenly put their foot down. If Dan was such a toolbox, wouldn't he just have fired (or threatened to fire) Mike after the first benching? If McNabb was this crowned jewel of an attempted marketing campaign, then from a business standpoint, Snyder would be forced to protect his investment.

Instead, he let his prized possession get humiliated, benched again, and then traded for a late round draft pick. That's bad business, sir. And to top it off, the guy who was he vehemently against being the quarterback in your estimation STILL gets to be the starting quarterback, because somehow Mike swerved him. Or something.

Your logic is cloudy.

Yeah, I know the frakking marketing campaign.

Why couldn't the trade for McNabb just be a (bad) football decision? Mike thought he saw something he liked in Donovan and thought he could tweak or fix the things he didn't, and then found out McNabb wasn't the guy he wanted? Thought he had more talent on his football team than he did and wanted stability at the quarterback position, since Jason Campbell was being chased out of town by the organization and the fanbase alike, wanted to try and make a run, or at the very least get a guy who every wouldn't want to chuck out of town after his first interception.

And then upon trading for Donovan McNabb, which was kind of a big deal, THEN the Redskins organization built a marketing campaign based around the concept of a new start, new front office, head coach, quarterback, et. al in an attempt to win back some disillusioned fans?

Why is it always a conspiracy theory with you? You're reading between the lines, when the lines read, in big bolded letters, "THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY HERE."

I didn't say it was a conspiracy. Mike Shanahan has owned the decision to trade for McNabb. I agree that Shanahan overestimated what he thought he could get from McNabb -- I think we all did.

I think there were lots of factors. Talent on the team was thin to none. The team was missing picks in the draft even before the McNabb trade. Free agency offered very little talent due to the CBA situation. Realistically 2010 was going to be a transitional year. Shanahan opted for the 3-4 defense knowing he didn't have all the parts, and assuming incorrectly that Haynesworth would line up as NG and be a force. Even with Haynesworth on board, it's dubious that Bradford, Grossman or McCoy could drive the team to more than 9 wins. Bradford started to look out of reach. After Bradford, Mike Shanahan himself probably doubted what he could get from Grossman or McCoy, especially in year 1.

In that situation, the goal probably became Respectability. A professionally run football team. Shanahan and Allen in charge, instead of Snyder and Cerrato. Draft McCoy, head into opening day with Grossman as starter. Goal of 8-8, which would be a big jump from 4-12.

Then McNabb enters the conversation. He's available, the team hears. Kyle Shanahan wants no part of McNabb. Mike Shanahan isn't so sure. Snyder is thrilled by the idea and bangs the table for McNabb. Allen thinks about the culture he's trying to change and thinks McNabb could be a leader in that effort. Proven winner, widely respected in the NFL. Shanahan warms a little more to the idea.

Snyder comes clean about the team's finances. "We can't sell the club seats. We're selling 20% of general admission to StubHub. McNabb can win back this city. This city wants to love the Redskins, they want to believe. You give them Rex Grossman, they'll tear you down before you start. Grossman's a national joke. McCoy? They've never even heard of him.

"They'll believe in McNabb. McNabb will buy you two or three years to make the team your own. I'll stay out of the way. Just give me McNabb and I'll make him the face of the franchise. You need those fans, now more than ever. And you know you'll win more games with McNabb. You told me 8 wins with Grossman. I bet you get 10 wins with McNabb."

This is how business can color football decisions, without being a "conspiracy."

Later, when McNabb crashes and burns, everyone at the table knows where everyone stood. Kyle gains the most power, because he was most adamantly opposed. Snyder loses the most, because he banged the table the loudest for McNabb. Shanahan trots out Grossman in the final three games, and he outplays McNabb even while going 1-2. Everyone knows the score: they would have been better with Grossman from the start.

At the end of the season, Shanahan is resolute. "Now we build from the ground up. I'm done with players who are bigger than the game. Done with McNabb. Done with Haynesworth. Done with Portis. We may be bad before we're good, but we're taking no shortcuts. Every position is up for grabs, and the players on this team will be young and hungry. If I have to start John Beck at QB, I will. The message will be clear: every player will earn his position."

This is Shanahan consolidating his power and reaffirming his true beliefs. That's what I think happened, and why.

Well upon reading that latest post ASF, I'd say that absolutely could have possibly been how things may have went down. The Mcnabb trade reeks of a Snyder move, but he wasn't a QB at the end of his rope either, he had sustained consistent and good numbers throughout his career so I guess they thought maybe he could get the ball rolling here, he didn't. I'm glad things are going the way they are now, team has a new culture, and shortcuts are certainly not being taken this time around.

And I truly believe that if Mike Shanahan did not want Donovan McNabb, he would not have traded for Donovan McNabb. Period. Mike has final say so on everything, and even if somehow wasn't aware that the team was having trouble selling club seats, I don't think that would've swayed Mike one bit. If he didn't feel we could win with McNabb, he wouldn't have traded for him. It was Mike's call to bring him in. I think it's been proven time and time and time again that Mike doesn't give two fraks what anyone thinks of him. He was going to field the best team possible regardless of what Dan said or wanted, Club Seats being available or not.

You can think Dan stuck his nose in it, but I think it was Mike's call.

:ols:

The Rex and McCoy pics have me laughing incredibly hard.

And I can see ASF's scenario playing out, easily, considering the cash flow issues Snyder has been facing of late with the Six Flags debacle, declining season ticket/luxury box sales, massive firings in January 2009 of Redskins Park staff, and a serious downturn in the economy.

Getting McNabb gave juice to the 2010 offseason.

Besides ES, Washington DC is a collective :yawn: over the Redskins. I don't expect every seat to be filled Sunday

The NY Post seems jazzed about Grossman and the skins being the first opponent, hope the players see this:

Joke’s on Grossman

THIS won’t be coming out of the mouths of any of the Giants defenders tomorrow when they start talking about the Redskins, but they couldn’t have ordered up a softer attack to face in the opener. Not sure what the joke is, but when the punch line is “Rex Grossman,” you know it’s got to be funny.

Grossman, 31, enters his ninth NFL season having beaten out John Beck for the Redskins starting quarterback job after a summer-long competition that excited no one outside of the Beltway and, most likely, not many within. Skins coach Mike Shanahan said he “thought Rex won by an edge,” but what is the hope for a team when a lackluster performer such as Grossman is deemed the best option?

Sure, he started 16 games in 2006 and the Bears made it to the Super Bowl, but Grossman (40 career touchdown passes, 40 career interceptions) should be a backup. He started three games last season after Shanahan benched Donovan McNabb, continuing a revolving door policy at quarterback that has spun the Redskins dizzy. They have used 20 different starting quarterbacks in the last 18 seasons. Not surprisingly, there have been only five winning seasons in that span. The Redskins are an overwhelming choice to finish last in the NFC East this season.

’Tis better to block than receive

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/gilbride_must_give_jacobs_bradshaw_kj1KpF2BgtpwWRLlvy0yHN#ixzz1XGXXqnzA

Archived