Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two things about our quarterbacks, including one point of worry on Rex.

Art

One interesting stat to add would be how many drives each have so far with starters and also how many drives each have with back-ups. The stats show that Grossman has had more attempts - but is that because he has lead longer drives? It would be interesting to see how many drives or shots each QB has had to make those stats. If I have some time tomorrow morning I will look it up.

Well Beck is a game behind for one thing. I don't know if I am imagining this but it seems like 3 or 4 Beck drives have been when Hightower or Helu have broken huge runs.

Im sure we'll be calling for the hook, at some point, reguarless which one gets the job.. But it really is nice to have 2 guys both playing well, at that position, for a change.. If I was the coach, I think I'd go Beck at this point.. Just like his mobility and options he gives us.. (But if Rex gets the nod, Im cool with that too..) SN: Does Shanny play his starters in the 4th preseason game? Cant remember.. Maybe the short offseason changes that reguardless..

I kind of agree with that as well. I think Beck will make the offense much tougher to ultimately defend. Add Hightower, the bootlegs, his mobility, the fact he plays quick, and his quick release, you can see why the Shanahans like him as well as Gruden. He could make the offense a chore to defend. But Rex has been good too.

He also liked Tebow, Pryor, McCoy, and Andy Dalton. Don't read into it.

Why I think it does hold some credence is because he also comes from the west coast offense tree. He is a Super Bowl coach. Him doing those quarterback interviews for ESPN, what do you expect him to say. Yeah, he sucks. The fact the Shanahan's like Beck and get's good marks from another west coast offense coach is a nice plus for the guy. Two Super Bowl Winning West Coast Offense Coaches.

ATP, I have no idea who wins. I think they've both done good and bad things during this game (first couple drives for Rex were punts & then Beck's INT).

The thing it might come down to is whether the coaches like the mobility or "potential" that Beck gives them, or the experience and the known factor that Rex gives them.

I honestly don't know who is going to win, but the last couple of games have made me pretty sure I'm going to be biting my nails regardless of who starts until they show me that, either Rex isn't going to make some stupid INT when it's unnecessary (throw to Gaffney last week), or that Beck IS actually capable of running the offense against a 1st team defense that's game planning for him. I really don't know who I'd pick right now.

I'm pulling for Beck. I think his mobility & footwork is extremely impressive and he showed he can throw the ball downfield. I think rex has played admirably, but his lack of mobility is a killer. for a few drives in a preseason game he can mask it, but eventually the rush will get to him & he doesn't have the tools to escape it.

He also liked Tebow, Pryor, McCoy, and Andy Dalton. Don't read into it.

Honestly the book is still out on all of those guys. McCoy has looked pretty good thus far. Dalton looked good tonight, and I kind of expect him to not be that bad, even on that horrible team. Tebow and Pryor are both long shots, but I don't think it is out of the question for one of them to become a starting QB. I don't know what any of that has to do with Gruden, because he really doesn't ever seem to dislike anyone but oh well.

Also, I forgot, but that incomplete pass Grossman threw on second down before the touchdown was a horrible pass and should have been picked off, which would have taken away his one touchdown. It reminded me of why I want Beck to win the job. But to his credit he did come back with a really nice td pass. I guess that is just Sexy Rexy for you.

Nice insight ... I am not sure if I buy the job being Grossman's yet. I was a little disappointed that Beck didn't get to play more against the Ravens' first team defense though. Hopefully he gets the start against Tampa so he gets reps against their first team defense.

HTTR

One thing I've found interesting is everyone seems to think we've seen grossmans peak, but not becks. Why is that? I think its quite obvious rex is much more suitable for this o, as opposed to chicago. He's started a total of 3 games in the system. Even the biggest rex haters will concede that when he's hot, he can get in a zone as good as almost anybody. He seems to be limiting his mistakes now. The shannhans KNOW they can with rex. He actually has done it in the regular season. Beck has nt. Its obvious shannhan is trying to win now..wouldn't it make more sense to go with the more sure thing to start the yr? Just my two cents.

There stats are quite even this preseason. Neither has blown the other out of the water. So the question is, who did try favor heading into the preseason? If u ask the media, its beck all day. Imo, mike prefers beck, kyle prefers rex. It should be interesting. Im pulling for rex

One thing I've found interesting is everyone seems to think we've seen grossmans peak, but not becks. Why is that? I think its quite obvious rex is much more suitable for this o, as opposed to chicago. He's started a total of 3 games in the system. Even the biggest rex haters will concede that when he's hot, he can get in a zone as good as almost anybody. He seems to be limiting his mistakes now. The shannhans KNOW they can with rex. He actually has done it in the regular season. Beck has nt. Its obvious shannhan is trying to win now..wouldn't it make more sense to go with the more sure thing to start the yr? Just my two cents.

There stats are quite even this preseason. Neither has blown the other out of the water. So the question is, who did try favor heading into the preseason? If u ask the media, its beck all day. Imo, mike prefers beck, kyle prefers rex. It should be interesting. Im pulling for rex

It's mobility. Beck makes you have to cover more of the field and make choices in regard to his scrambling ability. He's more likely to keep defenses honest. You notice Kyle rolls him a lot more then Grossman. Then add the running game with Hightower. That's the difference. Beck would have to master the offense. The other thing is that Beck has only five starts and he is holding his own against a quarterback with over 35 starts. How good would Beck be if he had 20 starts. Just a thought.

Why I think it does hold some credence is because he also comes from the west coast offense tree. He is a Super Bowl coach. Him doing those quarterback interviews for ESPN, what do you expect him to say. Yeah, he sucks. The fact the Shanahan's like Beck and get's good marks from another west coast offense coach is a nice plus for the guy. Two Super Bowl Winning West Coast Offense Coaches.
Honestly the book is still out on all of those guys. McCoy has looked pretty good thus far. Dalton looked good tonight, and I kind of expect him to not be that bad, even on that horrible team. Tebow and Pryor are both long shots, but I don't think it is out of the question for one of them to become a starting QB. I don't know what any of that has to do with Gruden, because he really doesn't ever seem to dislike anyone but oh well.

Also, I forgot, but that incomplete pass Grossman threw on second down before the touchdown was a horrible pass and should have been picked off, which would have taken away his one touchdown. It reminded me of why I want Beck to win the job. But to his credit he did come back with a really nice td pass. I guess that is just Sexy Rexy for you.

Yeah, I'm not trying to discredit Beck because Gruden happens to like him, I'm just saying don't read into the quote all that much. Yes the jury is out on them, but do we really expect Tebow to find success at the QB position? What about Pryor? I don't want to change the direction of this thread, the point is, I just don't see how they can even play the QB position.

Now regarding Beck, I'm fully on board with him being the starter for one reason, I believe in Mike Shanahan. I've stated this many times, I can no longer question Mike's decision, when it comes to football, the man is a genius and our franchise is under good hands. When he lays his rep on the line for a guy like Beck, who no one knows or even cares about, that speaks volumes.

It's mobility. Beck makes you have to cover more of the field and make choices in regard to his scrambling ability. He's more likely to keep defenses honest. You notice Kyle rolls him a lot more then Grossman. Then add the running game with Hightower. That's the difference. Beck would have to master the offense. The other thing is that Beck has only five starts and he is holding his own against a quarterback with over 35 starts. How good would Beck be if he had 20 starts. Just a thought.

I agree completely. Beck is pretty much even with Grossman even though Grossman has had 30 more starts (two seasons basically). That's why people think Beck has more potential. Maybe no one has seen Grossman's peak but we absolutely know we have not seen Beck's.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 01:54 AM ----------

Yeah, I'm not trying to discredit Beck because Gruden happens to like him, I'm just saying don't read into the quote all that much. Yes the jury is out on them, but do we really expect Tebow to find success at the QB position? What about Pryor? I don't want to change the direction of this thread, the point is, I just don't see how they can even play the QB position.

I mean they both played the QB position pretty well in College, I think it is a little harsh to say you can't even see how they could play it. Granted I don't really think either of them will be startning QBs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. Pryor has a pretty solid arm, and Tebow is a gamer.

Though I think both QBs are capable of leading this offense, I am rooting for Beck to win the job. I just like what he brings to the table. He has the right attitude and commitment you want from a leader. He is more mobile than Rex and has some serious zip on his passes. A majority of the passes I see completed from Rex are down the middle (which is his strength) but Beck seems to have a wider variety of throws. We have not seen enough of Beck to fully compare him to the Sex Cannon but he has shown he has ability and I think he could have a higher ceiling than Rex.

I would like to see Beck get more reps before I make my final judgement, but as of now Beck is outplaying Grossman, slightly. I say this because Beck has more yards per attempt, a higher completion percentage, and a higher QB rating. This shows that he has been the most accurate and the most consistent. The only problem here is we do not have much data to go on with Beck.

Rex has also played great, to be sure, especially against Pittsburgh. However, I would point out that he put up a stinker in Indy, and his TD tonight was a gimme. I do not want to take anything away from some of the great throws Rex has made, because he has looked outstanding at times, but I still think he is an inconsistent player.

Beck has been consistent though. He always seems to make the right decisions. Even Beck's interception was not the result of a bad decision (you should make that throw when you see your guy in one-on-one coverage, and I actually think Stallworth slowed down on the route).

In closing, I might also say something about leadership. Beck strikes me as the kind of guy you want to lead your ream. He is a perfectionist, and a professional. You can see it in his interviews. Grossman is a bit too ****y for my liking, but I guess that moxie might actually be a positive. Beck just seems a bit more level-headed. Either of them can run this offense, and either of them can lead the team, but I think Beck might have a slight edge in this area.

As of now, I say it is too close to call, at least until we get some more data on Beck, but I do think Beck has a slight edge.

I...Beck has been consistent though. He always seems to make the right decisions. Even Beck's interception was not the result of a bad decision (you should make that throw when you see your guy in one-on-one coverage, and I actually think Stallworth slowed down on the route)...
Stallworth had his man beaten, but ended up playing catch up. Obviously, he didn't adjust well to the ball. The INT was on him, not Beck.

Rex 2-Beck 1 this competition is over I dub ye SEX CANNON starter for the Redskins

I think this premature. There is plenty of reason to think this could go either way.

I don't care what anyone says our QBs suck and that's why this team will struggle this year. If we cut both of these guys tomorrow they would have a hard time finding a backup job.

I think this foolish. Have you actually watched these guys move the offense? The controversy is not because we do not have a quarterback, it is because we have two quarterbacks who can do the job.

Well if Rex's TD was a "gimme", Beck's wasn't even his then. Austin turned it into a TD. Beck did nothing on that play to make it a TD. Also people tend to just gloss over the picture perfect pass to Moss earlier that should have been a TD but Moss didn't hang on.

Beck's one good play against starters was the deep pass to AA but even that was a flawed throw. That ball led Armstrong out of bounds. If it had been a better throw, the gain would have been larger.

By any objective measure, Rex has outperformed Beck. But certainly this doesn't mean he's a shoe in to start Wk 1. Though in my opinion he should.

That said I'll agree that if the Shanahans do feel that Beck has more growth coming and that Rex has maxed out they will go with him. The good news in all of this is that at least both QBs have looked solid to good when given a shot and with that running game (which looks fantastic-this is the best I can ever remember a Skins running game look in the preseason) to support them, we can reasonably hope that either player will be at the controls of a much stronger offense.

By any objective measure, Rex has outperformed Beck. But certainly this doesn't mean he's a shoe in to start Wk 1. Though in my opinion he should.

Well Beck has a higher completion percentage, a higher QB rating, and higher yards per attempt. I think those are objective measures where Beck has outperformed Rex.

The good news in all of this is that at least both QBs have looked solid to good when given a shot and with that running game (which looks fantastic-this is the best I can ever remember a Skins running game look in the preseason) to support them, we can reasonably hope that either player will be at the controls of a much stronger offense.

That I will agree with.

I came away with more questions than answers personally. Strangely enough Beck appeared more comfortable with the backups. Beck had IIRC three straight excellent passes. The Moss and Hankerson passes were not so good. I thought Rex looked better too. Beck needs to play more. I think he will struggle against the Giants and think Rex would fare better. In any event it's nice having two capable QB's on the roster.

I think it will be much easier for Shanny to go with Beck and have Rex to fall back on, than to have Rex fail and have to go with the unproven in Beck, I really haven't seen much difference in performance in either, with that said Rex has shown what he can do in the past, Beck has the potential, I will alway's go with potential over average but safe. Maybe Rex has matured and progressed enough now that he's in a real structured offense and not what he ran in Chicago to become a top starter? If he has it will come to the surface at some point, and if Beck plays well enough to keep him on the bench then all is good. I wouldn't get to worked up over whomever is choosen to start the opener Shanny is not married to failure he will pull a QB as fast as anyone in the league, the QB competition is long from over!

Archived