Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indy was great team for Beck to get comfortable, Baltimore will be actual test.

NoCalMike

I don't really have many complaints regarding Beck's performance. While I'd like to see him go down field more, if that option isn't there, and you have some wide open in space who can get a lot of YAC, a completion is better then chucking it downfield into coverage.

With that said, Indy's defense seemed really laid back and subdued. Not making an excuse, but they really seemed to be vanilla. Also the running game again was running on mostly all cylinders which goes a loooong way to help a QB.

If Beck is starting against Baltimore, I expect that game to be much more of a true test as to how ready Beck is. Baltimore seems to only play at one speed on defense, whether it is regular season or preseason which is LUDICROUS speed.

I'm not going to sell our offense short and say they won't have same success running the ball against Baltimore, but I don't think it will come as easy or as often. It will have to be fought for a lot harder.

I think this is going to lead to a lot more realistic situations that Beck would see in the regular season. He will be under a lot more pressure.

I am not even saying Beck won't get it done and shine doing so. In fact it is a matchup I am looking forward to because I really want to see what Beck has to offer!

If Beck is starting against Baltimore, I expect that game to be much more of a true test as to how ready Beck is. Baltimore seems to only play at one speed on defense, whether it is regular season or preseason which is LUDICROUS speed.

I'm not going to sell our offense short and say they won't have same success running the ball against Baltimore, but I don't think it will come as easy or as often. It will have to be fought for a lot harder.

We did a good job against Pittsburgh, and they have a better defense than Baltimore IMO. They have many more playmakers on their defense, and arguably the best 3-4 coach in the history of the NFL.

But I agree with the sentiment that Bmore will be a better test than Indy.

We did a good job against Pittsburgh, and they have a better defense than Baltimore IMO. They have many more playmakers on their defense, and arguably the best 3-4 coach in the history of the NFL.

I agree with this 100% But I do think that B-More will come at us a bit harder than Pitt did. Third game, starting to gameplan, etc.

Also, keep in mind it happens to be the 3rd preseason game, which usually means it will be most like a regular season game. Starters tend to often play into the 3rd quarter, and it looks like Landry and Otogwe plan on being back, which means hopefully the secondary looks a ton better.

If we happen to run the ball all over Raven's defense, well hey that's great. I'm not saying we won't, I am just saying I think this game coming up will be more of a realistic test for Beck.

You should quit posting this in every thread before it gets considered as spam. ;)

True, I just saw so many threads about the same subject matter that I wanted to make sure that my point and thought got across to everyone on the board. :)

And, it was just once, and it was not spam. Smarty, would be a more accurate definition.

Honestly, even if we stomp all over Bmore next week, I still can't get super happy.

I like the direction of the team, that's all I can say right now. Hopefully we can carry that on into the season. A failure to score inside the 20 is a huge, HUGE problem right now. Doesn't matter who the QB is in my opinion. As great as this team looks right now, if we can't score when we should then we are in serious trouble.

I think we'll play surprisingly well against next week. As NCM said, we'll have some of our other starters back including Landry which I'm really excited about, and I think we'll see a huge difference on defense.

True, I just saw so many threads about the same subject matter that I wanted to make sure that my point and thought got across to everyone on the board. :)

And, it was just once, and it was not spam. Smarty, would be a more accurate definition.

It wasn't just once. I saw it in the other thread too.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351990-The-QB-horserace&p=8469031&viewfull=1#post8469031

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351992-PFT-John-Beck-Makes-it-Easy-on-the-Shanahans&p=8469032&viewfull=1#post8469032

Post #5

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351980-Basillica-of-Beck&p=8469035&viewfull=1#post8469035

Agree with everything in the OP and what others have said. It should be a much greater challenge. Baltimore will almost undoubtedly take away at least one aspect of the offense where we've pretty much had our way in all aspects in the first two games. Red zone offense needs to be efficient and would hope we can work both the long and short passing game to keep the D honest. However, as the OP points out, if there giving you the underneath stuff, no need to take unecessary risks.

I don't know if anyone was looking for it, but did anyone happen to know what type of coverage the Colts were playing? It seemed to me they were playing the safeties deep, which would have explained the lack of deep passes by Beck, since short and intermediate passes would have been the correct reads.

I did get a sense that the Colts were protecting the big passing play over anything else. Not positive on that, but maybe someone here was looking harder, or has Tivo.

This is actually one of three threads where you made the same "point"

And I don't even understand what you are talking about.

The other two:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351990-The-QB-horserace&p=8469031&viewfull=1#post8469031

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351992-PFT-John-Beck-Makes-it-Easy-on-the-Shanahans&p=8469032&viewfull=1#post8469032

What's going to be funny is if Beck starts or not.

Beck starting:

Oh my ****ing GOD! I knew that it wasn't a fair competition! I can't believe Beck gets two straight starts!

Beck not starting:

WTF!! Shanahan is just hiding Beck from good defenses to pad his stats! Unreal!!

I would like to see how he and the O-line do against the Ravens starters, but i was encouraged by what he did out there.

This. Personally I think the bigger test next week will be how our O-line and D-line hold up against the Ravens. If the O-line continues to run block well I see no reason why the Skins can't have some success running the ball and it will be hard to really judge Beck if he doesn't have time. I think the O-line (and specifically Trent Williams) made more mistakes tonight than I remember them making last week against the Steelers. But if they play at a decent level then we can really see what Beck (and maybe Grossman if he gets some first team reps) have to offer.

...would love to see our D line continue to get pressure as well.

And you should show yourself every time Beck makes a bad play, or has a bad game. People on message boards should eat crow every time a player they "hated" on in the past has a good game, makes a good throw, or completes a pass for a first down.

Agreed. But I think Baltimore's D is a tad overrated. They are getting old. We a young, hungry team, now HON.

IMO, it would be smart to start Beck. We have seen Rex play in NFL games that count, and the 3rd pre-season game is gonna be as close as you can get for Beck. It will be his chance to stink or shine, and I don't think Shanny will deny him that.

I actually think that they'll alternate either possessions or quarters. Enough to get a good read on both of them.

Archived