PFT: Cap status of all teams as of Tuesday: Redskins $18.7 million UNDER

Skadden

Chiefs (more than $28.7 million)

The Chiefs are in such good shape

Hate to gush over another team then the Skins but if I had to pick

They are in my opinion the next Dynasty Franchise in the league

Coaching staffs full of All Pro's who know how to spot players

The QB/WR combination of Cassel Bowe is just awesome

The RB combination of Jones/Charles and adding Laron McClain as lead blockers going to make that game explode

Defense is stacked with talent all around

Really liking what they are doing

With all that money I would have rather seen a player like Bradshaw come in instead of Hightower. Probably only depth/value signings from here on out. I don't think we're approaching the salary cap max this year.

We better next year. The team is younger and has arguably more talent. But the other teams in the division are far more ready to win now than we are. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I hope to see some serious headway towards winning next offseason.

There is nothing wrong with being uunder the cap - there is no team minimum this year.

Why "I hate to say it"? What Allen did last year by taking advantage of an uncapped year was pretty smart because the Redskins are in good shape in terms of cap space for the foreseeable future. And bonus money paid last year (i.e. Albert) would be charged to the Skins cap number for 2011, and we already know we are $18 million under (according to the recent PFT article and I saw it on redzone.org today) . It seemed like you were implying that the Skins were going to get bit by unamortized bonus money like the Cowboys will. That's not my understanding, but I am definitely no cap expert. Please explain.

I used that phrase to reference the debacle we got ourselves into by paying Fat Al the $21 million but not getting anything from him, specifically his gentleman's promise that he'd attend OTAs. From a cap standpoint, it's golden. Maybe that was a bad choice of words, but all in all I'm glad it happened now and our front office was really astute in taking advantage of the uncapped year. That's one huge difference between this FO and the other one headed by that idiot Vinny Cerrato.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 01:08 PM ----------

There is nothing wrong with being uunder the cap - there is no team minimum this year.

But there is a league minimum this year. If the league doesn't hit that bogey, money goes into a slush fund. Next year, there will be team minimums.

I used that phrase to reference the debacle we got ourselves into by paying Fat Al the $21 million but not getting anything from him, specifically his gentleman's promise that he'd attend OTAs. From a cap standpoint, it's golden. Maybe that was a bad choice of words, but all in all I'm glad it happened now and our front office was really astute in taking advantage of the uncapped year. That's one huge difference between this FO and the other one headed by that idiot Vinny Cerrato.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 01:08 PM ----------

But there is a league minimum this year. If the league doesn't hit that bogey, money goes into a slush fund. Next year, there will be team minimums.

so how does that work? Do the teams have to pay based on how much they are under or is it split evenly between all? Not sure I've seen that explained anywhere.

There is nothign wrong with it, I just think we had an opportunity to pursue some guys who's market didn't materialize as they had hoped. There are guys out there taking 1-year deals and I think we could have paid slightly more on a 1 year deal to bring in some of these players given our cap space. The money doesn't help the product on the field this year and as long as we're handing out 1-year deals we would still maintain cap flexibility.

Couldn't agree more. Albert handled it like a scumbag, and I think that situation will only get Snyder more pleased with the Allen/Shanny approach in comparison to how things unfolded when he and Vinny called the shots.

so how does that work? Do the teams have to pay based on how much they are under or is it split evenly between all? Not sure I've seen that explained anywhere.

When team minimums go into effect, each team will be responsible for any shortfall. No more awards for the Eagles for being the most under the cap. Actually, there was always a cap floor in place. The difference now is that there's a whole lot LESS space between the cap floor and cap ceiling.

So, the Skins have turned their roster upside down while adding quality, cutting a bunch of dead wood and saving some cap? That's freaking awesome, but I wonder what kind of cap number they are looking at next year? Will the new agreement mean heavy competition for next years high draft picks? Should we expect a lot of jockeying for position as teams reach out to those teams in possession of a high pick?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I dont understand teams like the Bengals, Jags and Bucs. If you are REQUIRED to meet a certain minimum why not be competitive and go after quality players? The Bucs need a CB, why wait until all of the best ones are gone?

I think it's going to be pretty important to stay well under the cap going into 2012 and 2013. We have a team of a lot of young guys who are relative bargains on their current contract. Over the next year or two we'll likely see several of these young guys emerge and this kind of cap space puts us in position to sign them and lock down our core.

If we spend money now, just because we can, we'll end up in a bind when it comes to resigning the guys that will become Shanny's core group. We don't have to hit the team minimum until 2013, between now and then we may end up closing that gap by extending guys like Landry or any of the current crop of rookies (Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hank, Helu, etc.) that may hold out going into their 3rd year if they become dominant performers.

Well let's sign some ****in' offensive linemen then.

They just signed C Donovan Raiola.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 01:33 PM ----------

I dont understand teams like the Bengals, Jags and Bucs. If you are REQUIRED to meet a certain minimum why not be competitive and go after quality players? The Bucs need a CB, why wait until all of the best ones are gone?

They may be just 'Stuck on Stupid'... :ols:

If they make it through the preseason under the cap, they ought to extend some of their players that they know they want to keep - i.e. Laron Landry

They could "restructure" his deal to add 1-2 years on the end (I think he has two years left). They could easily add another bonus in 2011 for 11M and then tack on two years to his deal with salaries of 1M and 3M in 2014 & 2015. They would be effectively adding two years at 7.5M each.

They could use up an additional 10M in cap space this year and add two years to his deal (2014 & 2015) at cap hits of 1M & 3M

and this ladies and gentleman is how a professional football team is run.

:cheers:

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 02:53 PM ----------

Tired of talking about the Eagles and comparing ourselves to the Eagles. Wake me up when they actually win a SB. Until then, they can shove it where the sun don't shine, because despite how "great" they've managed their team, they still have ZIP to show for it.

+1

What minimum?

There is no minimum this year, other than the total of 3.8 billion that all teams combined must spend by the end of the year.

The Floor doesn't go into effect until 2013

I see. Makes sense now that the other teams haven't spent yet.

That doesn't change the fact the the Jags have to pay fans to go to their games so they may as well start spending now.:D

Archived