Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Cap status of all teams as of Tuesday: Redskins $18.7 million UNDER

Skadden

The last guy we just signed a few hrs ago will make the 90th person !!!

I say we now sign Landry long term, then maybe start evaluating our roster over the next week now that everyone can finally practice. See what and where we need to add players, and keep our eyes open on other teams cutting players that could help us build for the future.

We def need more OL help for sure !!!!

Technically, it's actually the 87th. We've got three players on PUP that don't count towards the 90-man total.

its great to be so far under but sometimes it takes more than money to build a winning team.

The further you are under the cap, the cheaper it will be to reach the floor. One of the most expensive and dangerous things that will happen when you are close to the cap is that you risk having a guy who you have to pay but he is worth what you pay him. Further, if you are rolling cap hits back so you can meet the floor, you may not be able to make certain types of revenue enhancing decisions

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 05:16 PM ----------

So teams that are currently over the cap will have to make cuts before the season starts right? Does this mean some more FA's we might be interested in will be available in the next couple weeks? Or will it all just be trash? I guess I'm asking if we're saving our money till the other teams have to make cuts?

My guess is that you'd look at who can restructure. Its basically easy to slip a guy a little cash now to get him to lower his current cap hit, trick is targeting the right ones. Next, what older guys can you cut? Next, what scrubs can you cut? There may be a handful of guys who fall victim to the cap knife, but its usually because they are old and fading or scrubs. You are mostly going to find short-term stop gaps and competition guys.

I must say that I'm actually proud of the Redskins this offseason. Not only did they have a great draft, but with all the cap space they had, they could've reverted back to their old form in blowing all sorts of money and cap space on overpaid, imported talent. Instead, we signed a bunch of our own guys and other people who didn't cost a lot, who are younger, and who fit our system. That's a very good sign that The Danny isn't meddling, at least as of right now.

Archived