Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Cap status of all teams as of Tuesday: Redskins $18.7 million UNDER

Skadden

UPDATE: Revised cap figures as of today, the day before the League Year starts. Redskins now about $11.5 UNDER.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/cap-room-snapshot-as-of-thursday/

Buccaneers ($ 29,560,000); Chiefs ($ 28,431,000); Jaguars ($ 28,000,000); Browns ($ 27,620,000); Bengals ($ 27,164,000); Broncos ($26,542,000); Bills ($ 23,460,000); 49ers ($ 22,570,000); Bears ($ 19,300,000); Seahawks ($ 16,387,000); Cardinals ($ 14,603,000); Redskins ($ 11,450,000); Packers ($ 11,106,000); Jets ($ 8,920,000); Dolphins ($ 8,446,000); Colts ($7,925,000); Titans ($ 7,127,000); Saints ($ 7,027,000); Patriots ($ 5,264,000); Chargers ($ 5,031,000); Eagles ($4,604,000); Ravens ($ 3,558,000); Panthers ($ 1,915,000); Vikings ($ 938,000); Falcons ($811,000); Giants ($623,000); Rams ($621,000).

The teams in the red are: Raiders ($15,246,000); Steelers ($8,597,000); Lions ($7,793,000); Cowboys ($6,671,000); and Texans ($3,358,000).

By tomorrow at 4:00 p.m., there should be no teams in the red.

If the league year begins tomorrow, there are several teams, including our beloved Cowpukes, that need to trim more off their cap figure to get below the $123 million ceiling.

Over

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/as-of-tuesday-seven-teams-were-over-the-cap/

Raiders ($17.3 million)

Steelers ($11.5 million)

Texans ($8.5 million)

Vikings ($5.6 million)

Lions ($5 million)

Cowboys ($3.7 million)

Panthers ($939,000)

Under (less than $20 M)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/with-cba-coming-salary-cap-compliance-time-is-at-hand/

Redskins ($18.7 million)

Colts ($15.7 million)

Packers ($15.4 million)

Titans ($13.6 million)

Saints ($10.5 million)

Patriots ($9.2 million)

Jets ($7.6 million)

Dolphins ($6.6 million)

Ravens ($6.6 million)

Chargers ($5.0 million)

Eagles ($3.8 million)

Falcons ($2.6 million)

Rams ($490,000)

Giants ($290,000)

Under (more than $20 M)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/11-teams-still-have-20-million-or-more-in-cap-room/

Bengals ($41 million)

Jaguars ($34 million)

Browns ($30.4 million)

Buccaneers (more than $30.2 million)

49ers (more than $30.0 million)

Chiefs (more than $28.7 million)

Broncos (more than $26.7 million)

Bills (more than $26.5 million)

Bears (more than $24 million)

Cardinals (more than $23.6 million)

Seahawks (more than $21.2 million)

Edit: This of course doesn't count recent Redskins transactions such as signing Rocky McIntosh, Reed Doughty, and Kedric Golston. But their contracts weren't big at all and still leave the Redskins millions of cap space to make transactions.

I hate to say it, but one BIG reason our cap is the way it is right now is because we front-loaded a bunch of it during the uncapped year in 2010. In particular, we paid Fat Al the majority of his guaranteed money through prior payments and in that $21M lump sum distribution he got from Shanny (in exchange for showing up for OTA).

Keep in mind that unamortized bonus money that is charged to the cap now is deferred to next year. On that note, teams like the Cowboys already have something like $12 M in dead money alone on '12 cap.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

The FO only has to spend about 5 to 6 mil to meet the minimum. Perhaps a FA OL?

Jared Gaither is still available. But he's a RT, and injury prone. Don't know if he can play anything else.

What in the world are the Bengals, Browns, Jags, and Bucs doing?

The Bucs have talent they can pay now. The Bengals are probably considering bankruptcy court. Maybe the Browns will give Braylon Edwards a bunch of money. The Jags are going to have to pay fans to go to their games.

With all that money I would have rather seen a player like Bradshaw come in instead of Hightower. Probably only depth/value signings from here on out. I don't think we're approaching the salary cap max this year.

We better next year. The team is younger and has arguably more talent. But the other teams in the division are far more ready to win now than we are. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I hope to see some serious headway towards winning next offseason.

I agree with the sentiment, but it would've already happened if that was the plan. I'd bet on a Landry extension, if he's healthy, and cheap camp bodies being brought in.

Maybe they are waiting/hoping for one of those teams over the cap to cut 1 or 2 of there oline to get under the cap.

And Ladies and Gents, this is why the Eagles can go out and buy everybody. They build their team smartly, getting pieces in place, and when they have the core pieces, if they want to grab a big splash guy, whether it be TO back in the day, or the whole crowd now, they have the ability to do it.

But the order is important. They are not bringing all of these guys to build around. They already have the team in place. They are bringing in guys to supplement. The 'Skins always did it backwards. They spent big money BUILDING the team. Then they were always cash strapped.

It appears as though the 'Skins are going about this the right way. They are building the team with young guys. Then if they want to add big name guys later, they have the ability to do it. Or they don't have to. But they are going to build the foundation first.

Kudos to Shanahan and Allen for getting the order right, and not having to restructure a 20 contracts to get under the cap.

It is nice to see that we're actually managing the cap correctly. BTW this also coincides that the team got younger instead of overpaying older used-to-be-stars. Not to mention with the rookie wage scale, I love the position we're in. Not having to pay a top 5 pick 50 million + in guaranteed money is nice. The main reason we're looking so good is for two reasons.

1.) Vinny is no longer the GM....unless I'm mistaken Allen's kind of a cap guru, which is good for the fiscal future of the team.

2.) The uncapped year. The uncapped year, essentially gave us 1 year to wipe the slate clean and start over.

I'm liking where we're heading in the future, maybe if we continue improve in all areas of the organization in and see sustained success on the field for a few years, players will be willing to come here and take a pay cut to win....instead of lay back and collect a pay check.

I hate to say it, but one BIG reason our cap is the way it is right now is because we front-loaded a bunch of it during the uncapped year in 2010. In particular, we paid Fat Al the majority of his guaranteed money through prior payments and in that $21M lump sum distribution he got from Shanny (in exchange for showing up for OTA).

Keep in mind that unamortized bonus money that is charged to the cap now is deferred to next year. On that note, teams like the Cowboys already have something like $12 M in dead money alone on '12 cap.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 12:30 PM ----------

Jared Gaither is still available. But he's a RT, and injury prone. Don't know if he can play anything else.

Why "I hate to say it"? What Allen did last year by taking advantage of an uncapped year was pretty smart because the Redskins are in good shape in terms of cap space for the foreseeable future. And bonus money paid last year (i.e. Albert) would be charged to the Skins cap number for 2011, and we already know we are $18 million under (according to the recent PFT article and I saw it on redzone.org today) . It seemed like you were implying that the Skins were going to get bit by unamortized bonus money like the Cowboys will. That's not my understanding, but I am definitely no cap expert. Please explain.

Maybe they are waiting/hoping for one of those teams over the cap to cut 1 or 2 of there oline to get under the cap.

Always possible, and I hope you're right, but even if they did bring in some cuts, I have a feeling Shanahan would go with the ones that know the system the best....which would end up being the guys we already have, unless the cuts are ZBK OLmen. And if they are, why would a ZBK team cut them without reason?

Best case scenario, we get damaged goods with no time to learn the ropes in TC. But I suppose that'd be better depth than what we have.

Archived