Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ZD net: Missouri bans students and teachers from being Facebook friends (Update, last post: judge blocks law taking effect.)

Larry

No, I simply observed that you chose to quote the only post in the thread which didn't support the law, so you could make a patronizing comment, of an obvious fact, which had no relevance to the post you quoted.

every now and then i think you're human and try to communicate with you and mess around, only to be reminded that you are a drone that is programmed to argue and fight at every opportunity.

every now and then i think you're human and try to communicate with you and mess around, only to be reminded that you are a drone that is programmed to argue and fight at every opportunity.

And when it's pointed out to you, your response is . . . another patronizing attack.

I'm going to have to leave for dinner, now. But feel free to continue, it's kind of cute.

i am a High school coach in AA county, MD and they have the same policy, teachers/coaches cannot be Friends with Students/players on any social network. My players think its crazy, and stupid, but its to protect the teacher/coach and the kids, and quite honestly its not a bad idea at all. Way too many things can and do go wrong......

How about E-mailing Teachers questions, is that against the law too?

Not at all. In fact, most schools now have websites that can be accessed to send teachers emails etc. These sites can be accessed by parents and students. A good idea if used to it's advantage.

For real though, this is a good law. Nothing good can come out of high school kids being able to see personal info/pics of their teachers and vice versa. Also, its mad awkward. I would probably not accept friend requests from any of my teachers back in HS (except Ms. Vincent)

It may be a good idea, or a good policy, but there is no way that it should be a law. What is the difference between Facebook and Email? Is Emailing a teacher or student now against the Law is Missouri too?

If you want to fire a teacher for their Facebook friends, fine, but making into a law is crazy. If I were a teacher, I would want to be listed as a friend to as many of the students that I could, so that I could see what the student class is thinking and feeling about a whole range of issues. Could even prevent a a troubling situation from escalating.

You can set you Facebook page so that you are listed as friends, but give students just limited access to see your page.

It may be a good idea, or a good policy, but there is no way that it should be a law. What is the difference between Facebook and Email? Is Emailing a teacher or student now against the Law is Missouri too?

If you want to fire a teacher for their Facebook friends, fine, but making into a law is crazy. If I were a teacher, I would want to be listed as a friend to as many of the students that I could, so that I could see what the student class is thinking and feeling about a whole range of issues. Could even prevent a a troubling situation from escalating.

You can set you Facebook page so that you are listed as friends, but give students just limited access to see your page.

There is a huge difference between E-mail and Facebook. E-mail, run by the public school system is monitored. Facebook is not. Why do you make a law? So that you can establish a reason for dismissal and or prosecution. If you do not establish this, how do you remove a teacher?

The other side, as has been mentioned repeatedly, how do teachers or school systems protect themselves from students or parents? If you allow this, your setting yourself up to lose if you are challenged. It's just not smart to do this. What good could ever come of it?

People send emails to email information and say hi to one another. Facebook people post one liners and check out personal info/pictures as well as say hi. There is a degree of strangeness to teachers and students doing this.

So, its ok to fire a teacher over this? I would argue that it is insane to fire a teacher over being friends with a student on facebook. They past this law so they have the right to do this and can say, you knew the law (if they do decide to fire any teacher over this)

So your statement is somewhat backwards

How about E-mailing Teachers questions, is that against the law too?

(and response to lots of other, similar, discussion.)

A no doubt tiny fraction of the law is quoted in the OP.

Teachers cannot establish, maintain, or use a work-related website unless it is available to school administrators and the child’s legal custodian, physical custodian, or legal guardian. Teachers also cannot have a nonwork-related website that allows exclusive access with a current or former student.

Now, if that portion is an accurate summary of the law, (which may be a heck of a stretch), then the way I read it is:

1. It doesn't mention email, or any other form of communication. Only web sites. (Which then causes me to wonder about, say, my Yahoo email account, which can only be accessed via a web page. If my (hypothetical) student communicates with my Yahoo email account, then the student isn't using a web page, but I am. Does that count?)
  2. It prohibits a teacher from so much as having a web site which has the capability of unmonitored, private, communication.

The way I read that one, lone sentence, is that it doesn't prohibit teachers from being Facebook friends with students. It prohibits teachers from having a Facebook page. (The language is "have a web site".)

Does it prohibit a teacher from being a member of ES? It's a web site. Which permits communication. But if the teacher is a member of ES, then does the teacher "have a web site"?

----------

Now, that interpretation clearly differs from what the article says. Maybe I'm right. I'm reading the actual law, not the author's opinion. But I'm only reading one sentence from the law.

So named after someone molested decades before Facebook even existed. If it's all about Facebook you'd think they'd relate it to someone molested after contact via Facebook.

While I agree that the name of the law is less than honest, I agree it's an awful idea for a teacher to FB a student.

I have taught for years and taught some kids who were great, really wonderful kids with whom I have maintained some level of communication; BUT it is simply not a good idea for any teacher to have that level of contact outside school. By it's nature, FB just leaves everyone involved open to all sorts liability.

Don't have a problem with this law. I would not "friend" students if I were a teacher as that would be an ethical boundry that I wouldn't cross. I currently don't facebook "friend" minors in my FDA program for the same reason...I'd prefer they view me more in a professional light than that of a buddy.

My dad, on the other hand, seems to be friends with every freaking patient he has in the small town where my parents live :ols: I told him that's weird, but I guess I don't understand the small town doctor-patient relationship...I mean, they all know where our house is , most patients know our home telephone number, so many boundaries are already blurred because it's such a small community.

I do not understand any reason why an adult would have minors as friends on their FB page that are not family. Just seems silly and irresponsible to me.

When I coached softball, girls from the team friended me. I was fine with it because I wasn't being paid, coaching was not my career, and I did not talk about softball on the girls' pages or anything. The thing I made sure of, however, is that my FB page remained relatively clean (e.g. no pictures of me drunk, no dropping f-bombs on my page, no pics of me scantily dressed - not that there were ever pictures of me like that anyway).

Because you've moved around a lot of times and want to know if your friends die in a timely manner so you can go to the funeral?

I have a phone number and email. I have had the same email for at least 15 years and only 2 phone numbers in the last 20+.

Worst case scenario my family is easy to contact if needed.

In the last 20 years I have lived in DC twice, College Park, Atlanta, Boston, West Hartford, Charlotte, and I spend lots of time in Miami, Vegas, and NY. So moving around is really not that big of a deal.

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 03:07 AM ----------

When I coached softball, girls from the team friended me. I was fine with it because I wasn't being paid, coaching was not my career, and I did not talk about softball on the girls' pages or anything. The thing I made sure of, however, is that my FB page remained relatively clean (e.g. no pictures of me drunk, no dropping f-bombs on my page, no pics of me scantily dressed - not that there were ever pictures of me like that anyway).

Why should you have to accomodate a kid for your private page ? So decline the request. I have zero interest in being friends with children. I have a psuedo adopted daughter that is 19 (good kid). She calls or texts me pr my wife if she needs someone to talk to that won't BS her or whatever. She invited her mother and my wife to come up to her school for parents weekend. If I had a FB page she probably would not be included as a friend. She is a young kid that we are trying to teach responsibility and ownership. No reason for her to think otherwise.

I have a phone number and email. I have had the same email for at least 15 years and only 2 phone numbers in the last 20+.

Worst case scenario my family is easy to contact if needed.

In the last 20 years I have lived in DC twice, College Park, Atlanta, Boston, West Hartford, Charlotte, and I spend lots of time in Miami, Vegas, and NY. So moving around is really not that big of a deal.

See I went to 9 schools before I graduated High School, in 5 different states, 3 different High Schools, then moved from Arkansas to NC... While you have had the same number for years, I know plenty of people who have lost their phones, changed their numbers, lost all their numbers in their phones. I feel like Facebook helps me keep track of people I care about but don't talk to often...

See I went to 9 schools before I graduated High School, in 5 different states, 3 different High Schools, then moved from Arkansas to NC... While you have had the same number for years, I know plenty of people who have lost their phones, changed their numbers, lost all their numbers in their phones. I feel like Facebook helps me keep track of people I care about but don't talk to often...

So you think that you are friends with those people ? So you get their number and be done with it. I have 2 buddies that I lost contact with over the years. They both came to my wedding, to invite them I called their parents, so I could get back in touch. I see that it is easier, but certainly not anymore practical.

Archived