Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter Twitter: Skins Sign DE Stephen Bowen 5 Yrs 27.5 Mill 12.5 Guaranteed

SkinsNoles21

I've never understood fans getting overly worked up by how much money a guy is signed for. It's not exactly like it's YOUR money and the player either works out of the field or he doesn't. Let the cap guys worry about the books. Focus on analyzing the player.

I tend to agree with this. For all the horrible moves and bad contracts the redskins have made over the past 10 years, they never seemed to "run out" of cap room. It is not my money and as long as they can work the cap so that they can still get who they want in the future., I will not stress specific numbers too much. I don't have these contracts in front of me, and I do not know how they are structured. After three years we could drop these guys if they dont work out and probably not take too much of a hit, outside of danny's wallet, which I could not care less about. :)

Never said nor assumed he will play it well, but it's obvious that the FO is not bringing in what everyone deems a true NT. And just as you say I'm assuming he will play it well, you guys are assuming he won't play it well.

+1. Let's see how all of our new players are utilized by the coaching staff before making any judgments or assumptions about how they'll perform. I'm pretty excited to see our new defensive line (and defense as a whole) in action.

So if they were "scared to lose him" and couldnt even match offer then we significantly overpaid for him, no?

Or we caught the cowboy's blind sided, who thought they'd be able to come back to him later, and Bowen seeing the jenkins thing jumped at the chance.

According to Pro Football Focus, Stephen Bowen was the 3rd best 3-4 Defensive End in the league last year. Hes not as good of a pass rusher as Jenkins but he is way better against the run. Jenkins is a pure pass rusher, Bowen is younger, cheaper, and a more well rounded player. He can still get after the QB too.

OKAY, well no one can really assume what our starting 3-4 will look like, BUT as of now, what will our 3-4 loook like?

Orakpo, Ryan, Bowen, Cofield...? What about ilb?

Right now, it seems to be this:

DE: Bowens, Carriker

NT: Cofield

LB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher, Riley.

Riley and Henson are just going to compete for the ILB spot.

Former NFL scout/owner of newerascouting.com Matt Miller just tweeted about the signing:

nfldraftscout Matt Miller

Really like the underrated signing of Stephen Bowen by the Redskins. A very promising 3-4 DE.

This makes me feel better about it. Matt's a very insightful guy and I trust his analysis.

Wow, I completely just read that as Matt Millen and was about to go crazy and completely reverse my opinion of Bowen to him being a bust. But, after calming down, I realized it was Miller not Millen.

Right now, it seems to be this:

DE: Bowens, Carriker

NT: Cofield

LB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher, Riley.

Riley and Henson are just going to compete for the ILB spot.

I feel safe about our D now. With atogwe and wilson in the back field, this D might actually be top 10. I can see this D as a underrated, hard working, high character unit. No flashy names, just good physical players that are YOUNG. Riley? Young. Kerrigan? Rook. Orakpo? Young. etc. A lot of our 3-4 is under 30 now [:

I've never understood fans getting overly worked up by how much money a guy is signed for. It's not exactly like it's YOUR money and the player either works out of the field or he doesn't. Let the cap guys worry about the books. Focus on analyzing the player.

Agree!! For me, it was never how much they got paid. It was always that they got paid all of this $$, but couldn't play. When they hit the field on Sunday, I want guys who can do when they where brought in for so we can win.

Former NFL scout/owner of newerascouting.com Matt Miller just tweeted about the signing:

nfldraftscout Matt Miller

Really like the underrated signing of Stephen Bowen by the Redskins. A very promising 3-4 DE.

This makes me feel better about it. Matt's a very insightful guy and I trust his analysis.

:ols:, i'm glad i read this twice. I thought this was "Matt Millen"...and that you were being sarcastic.. :ols:

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

:secret: royallypwned is a Cowboys fan.

ahhhhhhh, I see. :)

Well that come out of left field.

I honestly know little about him, but on the face of it it's a well structured contract, he's a decent age, and he's a local boy which is always a plus. Good size and fit for a 34 end. And both Dallas fans in this thread are pissed, so that's a good sign. I'd of prefered to of still had Jarmon to compliment him, but that's past. All in all hard to find fault here.

Am I missing anything? ..... Oh yeah :idea:

Hopefully this ends the fricking Cullen Jenkins pursuit. :jump:

Welcome to DC Stephen.

Hail.

Hmm. Ok, that's interesting. Younger than Jenkins, but, NO WHERE NEAR as good or active. A completely serviceable 3-4 end, but nothing more than that. Unless he's replacing Carriker and we're still in the Jenkins market, this means we're either going to load up for one big splash, OR we have a series of mid-level offensive line moves to come.

This is not an exciting move by any stretch. It does continue to strengthen the defense and make it fit the 3-4 and maintains a generally young deploy. If we also get Jenkins, I'll say this move seems overkill.

I'd be perfectly happy if this were the case. Instead of 1 top dog free agent and a whole bunch of Stephon Heyer's, why not a bunch of solid mid-level guys?

Archived