Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter Twitter: Skins Sign DE Stephen Bowen 5 Yrs 27.5 Mill 12.5 Guaranteed

SkinsNoles21

In other words, should Bowen go on to be a quality starter, the contract he just signed will turn out to look like a rather good one :yes:...

Very true. And your statement highlights the risk in this plan -- that's the team's scouting report overestimated Bowen's ceiling and he's a marginal starter, at best. If you're going to get younger free agents while they still have room to grown and improve, that's the risk you have to take, I guess.

Frankly, I'd rather the Skins take this risk and build with younger guys, than take the risk of decline and injuries with older but more proven players. This team has taken the latter route for Danny's entire reign, so it's kinda refreshing that they're taking these kind of risks now instead.

We'll see how it turns out.

Was is it about everyone and Cofield not being a NT? You DON'T have to be 350+ pounds to play NT. You don't have to be a big fat slob. Most of it is technique and strength. Damn, would you guys just friggin relax already. This FO has made some "wonderful" I mean "WONDERFUL" moves this week. Relax and enjoy this. For once, we're getting younger players, not paying a wheelbarrow full for over aged vets, actually "Obtaining" draft picks, getting rid of waste and bring in guys who fit the system. Geez, no pleasing you jackholes.

Bowen's best asset is his nickle pass rush from the DT position. He is a nice player that I believe fits where your team is better now than Jenkins. Jenkins doesn't make much sense when you are trotting out the offense that you are. Jenkins is a guy who can put a team over the top. Bowen has some upside and will be around for when theoreitically get better. JMO....

Were they scared of losing depth or Bowen's talent? TN 41 knows more about the guy than I do so I'll accept it as a positive move but not for the money he's allegedly being given.

I think most of that "scared to death" was Free. I'm sure they wanted to keep Bowen. I'm just not sure they were scared to death to lose him.

Never known a team to be "scared to death" of losing a depth player.

Scared because they couldn't pay to keep him and have no one besides him to follow Spears? If Dallas fans liked this guy enough that replacing Spears was a good thing is Dallas in a position to lose Spears too?

"It was such a good season for Stephen Bowen that he finished third in our 3-4 defensive end rankings. High praise indeed, but it wasn’t all sunshine and smiles. For a start, while he held up in the run game, he wasn’t making a ton of plays, nor was he asked to. Such was the Cowboys (and his) season that he found his ratio of run to pass snaps at 1:2.4, so we are yet to see him truly tested in this regard.

Then there’s the question of how he handles a defense that may ask more of him as a two-gap defensive end. Could it be that what made him such a good fit for Wade Phillips’ defense, makes him a situational player in what Rob Ryan does? We saw Rob Ryan run different schemes when in Oakland and Cleveland, maximizing the strengths of his rosters. What he does with Stephen Bowen, and whether he relegates him back to sub package duty will be something to watch.

So it’s a risk to label Stephen Bowen a Secret Superstar heading into the 2011 season, but if he can keep playing the way he’s played these past few years, how can you not like his chances of making a bigger impression?"

Very true. And your statement highlights the risk in this plan -- that's the team's scouting report overestimated Bowen's ceiling and he's a marginal starter, at best. If you're going to get younger free agents while they still have room to grown and improve, that's the risk you have to take, I guess.

The analysis provided and linked to by others on this thread seems to point to a rather good player who fans will downplay due to him not being a household name. One ended their analysis by saying "He’s been good for a long time, even if people don’t know it."

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 10:38 AM ----------

So after reading a little more, it seems like we gave a 5 year 27 million dollar contract to a situational pass rusher/unproven starter. Definitely a gamble. Maybe Haslett thinks he can coach him up really well.

It didn't sound to me like he needs "coaching up" to become a starter, he just needed to be given the opportunity. Dallas kept Spears ahead of him but found ways to get Bowen on the field. Pretty sure Bowen will be given every possible opportunity to entrench himself as starter while here.

Was is it about everyone and Cofield not being a NT? You DON'T have to be 350+ pounds to play NT. You don't have to be a big fat slob. Most of it is technique and strength. Damn, would you guys just friggin relax already. This FO has made some "wonderful" I mean "WONDERFUL" moves this week. Relax and enjoy this. For once, we're getting younger players, not paying a wheelbarrow full for over aged vets, actually "Obtaining" draft picks, getting rid of waste and bring in guys who fit the system. Geez, no pleasing you jackholes.

What is it about you and assuming people will play a position well before they've ever played it? Stop counting your chickens early.

Former NFL scout/owner of newerascouting.com Matt MilleR (that's Miller with an R, NOT Millen. :pfft: ) just tweeted about the signing:

nfldraftscout Matt Miller

Really like the underrated signing of Stephen Bowen by the Redskins. A very promising 3-4 DE.

This makes me feel better about it. Matt's a very insightful guy and I trust his analysis.

So if they were "scared to lose him" and couldnt even match offer then we significantly overpaid for him, no?

Not necessarily. Cowboys are in cap hell and can't offer what the market will bear to retain their players.

I've never understood fans getting overly worked up by how much money a guy is signed for. It's not exactly like it's YOUR money and the player either works out of the field or he doesn't. Let the cap guys worry about the books. Focus on analyzing the player.

I've never understood fans getting overly worked up by how much money a guy is signed for. It's not exactly like it's YOUR money and the player either works out of the field or he doesn't. Let the cap guys worry about the books. Focus on analyzing the player.

Exactly ! Anyway we have to spend close 99% of the cap... We still have ways to go.... Why not create a good depth. You never know when your starting player is out for the season.

Because if the player doesn't work out, you're stuck with a bunch of players on your team that are hard to cut due to the money owed them.

for example: Adam Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd, Albert Haynesworth, etc.

What is it about you and assuming people will play a position well before they've ever played it? Stop counting your chickens early.

Never said nor assumed he will play it well, but it's obvious that the FO is not bringing in what everyone deems a true NT. And just as you say I'm assuming he will play it well, you guys are assuming he won't play it well.

Archived