Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters : California "Dream Act" approved for illegal immigrants

Mickalino

AND they get "in state tuition" status. I don't like this one bit.

---------- Post added July-25th-2011 at 10:08 PM ----------

Haven't read the article. But why does the Guv need to sign a law to allow someone to receive a private scholarship? I thought I could bay the bills for any student I wanted to.

They may soon get federal funding too.

Haven't read the article. But why does the Guv need to sign a law to allow someone to receive a private scholarship? I thought I could bay the bills for any student I wanted to.

Ah, you mean employing an illegal alien? Paying him to "work" in school?

It appears to be part of a multi-step process that only applies to public institutions. The way California interprets federal law is that they must make a law to allow something with regard to illegals, since they do not have the inherent rights of a US Citizen. The 1st step in this process was allowing illegals to get in-state tuition. This was number 2. The last will be allowing them public money (which will be a real fight.)

I assume private colleges may do as they wish.

It appears to be part of a multi-step process that only applies to public institutions. The way California interprets federal law is that they must make a law to allow something with regard to illegals, since they do not have the inherent rights of a US Citizen.

I don't get it.

But then there are lots of examples of "things that various laws seem to require, that Larry doesn't get."

For this,school records

but good question

I knew that. I was being an ass because of all the hoops we have been made to jump through as legal immigrants.

---------- Post added July-26th-2011 at 09:47 AM ----------

What happens if they have college diplomas, does their immigration status change.

No. They still should not be employable unless they get a work visa. According to CIS rules they should not be given a visa because they have broken US immigration law as an adult.

What happens if they have college diplomas, does their immigration status change.

Nah.

As I understand it, there have been efforts to provide a path to citizenship for various categories of "good" illegals.

The first one I saw, provided a path to citizenship for illegals who met the following criteria:

• Entered the country at the age of 5 or earlier
  • Have graduated high school, or earned a GED, in the US.
  • And who have (or are willing to) either:
    1. Earned at least a two-year college degree
    2. Serve a tour in the US armed forces.

I think there have been other, similar, proposals, with similar qualifications.

But no such proposals have actually passed.

Until they do, then things like going to college is a gamble for these people. They're investing money and time preparing for a professional job that might get taken away from them at any time. (Although I suppose that if they were to get kicked out of the country at a later date, they'd still be taking their skills and education back home with them.)

I knew that. I was being an ass because of all the hoops we have been made to jump through as legal immigrants.

I figured, can't say I blame ya ....but I don't blame the kids either.

screwed up mess as usual.

Nope, but I guess that "Masters in Psychology" looks better on your citizenship application than "Avocado picker".

As noted, I'm not sure admitting to years of breaking Federal immigration law on your Federal immigration paperwork will be seen as a good thing.

Until they do, then things like going to college is a gamble for these people. They're investing money and time preparing for a professional job that might get taken away from them at any time. (Although I suppose that if they were to get kicked out of the country at a later date, they'd still be taking their skills and education back home with them.)
Precisely. We are not exactly getting the best and brightest crossing the border. What goes back could be the future leaders of the their country.

Nowhere on the statue of liberty does it say we plan to keep you poor and destitute.

Just another basic detail Congress cannot muster the strength to fix as usual. Keep everyone fighting so they can continue on.

Though President Obama has been doing a rather fine job on immigration since he's been in. That kind of work creates a path for amnesty that is acceptable.

Nowhere on the statue of liberty does it say we plan to keep you poor and destitute.

Just another basic detail Congress cannot muster the strength to fix as usual. Keep everyone fighting so they can continue on.

Though President Obama has been doing a rather fine job on immigration since he's been in. That kind of work creates a path for amnesty that is acceptable.

That's kind of my opinion on these proposals to cater to what I label as "the good illegals".

My opinion is that I really, really, have a problem with rewarding crime. But I also recognize that, as a practical matter, getting rid of all the illegals in the US is both impossible and probably undesirable.

And it seems to me that if we can't just get rid of them, then the ones I'd want to reward are the ones that didn't chose to break the law, themselves (their parents decided, for them), and who have been working to assimilate into our culture, since they got here.

Stolen from Wikipedia,

This bill would provide conditional permanent residency to certain illegal alien students who graduate from US high schools, who are of good moral character, arrived in the U.S. illegally as minors, and have been in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment. If they were to complete two years in the military or two years at a four year institution of higher learning, the students would obtain temporary residency for a six year period. Within the six year period, a qualified student must have "acquired a degree from an institution of higher education in the United States or [have] completed at least 2 years, in good standing, in a program for a bachelor's degree or higher degree in the United States," or have "served in the armed services for at least 2 years and, if discharged, [have] received an honorable discharge". Military enlistment contracts require an eight year commitment, with active duty commitments typically between four and six years, but as low as two years. "Any alien whose permanent resident status is terminated [according to the terms of the Act] shall return to the immigration status the alien had immediately prior to receiving conditional permanent resident status under this Act.".This bill would have included illegal aliens as old as 35 years of age.

I can't see how this isn't a good thing for the state. Getting solid potential legal immigrants (rather than keeping them undocumented illegal aliens), who the state has educated & trained, seems like a likely result of the act.

Stolen from Wikipedia,

I can't see how this isn't a good thing for the state. Getting solid potential legal immigrants (rather than keeping them undocumented illegal aliens), who the state has educated & trained, seems like a likely result of the act.

Because it encourages illegal immigration,which also brings less solid potential with it.

I certainly agree it acknowledges illegal immigration will not be cured, but is that a good thing?:ols:

it rewards someone breaking the law and adds costs to already strained finances

it encourages illegal acts should be enough;),but instead of addressing the problems we address symptoms.:beatdeadhorse:

how many will fall by the way?

Archived