Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many draftees make the 53-man squad?

Hitman21ST

For the first time in a long time, we had both quantity and quality come out of our draft. It was sorely needed.

With as many needs as our team had/has, how many of the draft picks will make the 53-man squad?

Kerrigan - Yes

Jenkins - Yes

Hankerson - Yes

Helu - Yes

Gomes - Yes

Paul - Yes

Royster - Yes

Robinson - No

Thompson - Yes

Hurt - Yes

White - Yes

Neild - Yes

I think 11 will, with the odd man out being Robinson. If Kelly gets hurt again, though, I think he'll be on.

For the first time in a long time, we had both quantity and quality come out of our draft. It was sorely needed.

With as many needs as our team had/has, how many of the draft picks will make the 53-man squad?

Kerrigan - Yes

Jenkins - Yes

Hankerson - Yes

Helu - Yes

Gomes - Yes

Paul - Yes

Royster - Yes

Robinson - No

Thompson - Yes

Hurt - Yes

White - Yes

Neild - Yes

I think 11 will, with the odd man out being Robinson. If Kelly gets hurt again, though, I think he'll be on.

I doubt 11 out of 12 rookies will make the 53-man roster...especially with the lock out stunting their development this season. At least 2 of them will be on the practice squad, probably :yes:...

Who do you think the other one will be?

Royster and Thompson would be two I wouldn't be surprised to see go to the PS...Royster because Torain, Helu and Williams could be the only RBs we carry (not including FBs). I could also see Neild going to the PS as well, and half of ES going nuts because they've already convinced themselves that he'll be starting by Thanksgiving lol :yes:...

Royster and Thompson would be two I wouldn't be surprised to see go to the PS...Royster because Torain, Helu and Williams could be the only RBs we carry (not including FBs). I could also see Neild going to the PS as well, and half of ES going nuts because they've already convinced themselves that he'll be starting by Thanksgiving lol :yes:...

Caught me off guard there. I was expecting you to say some combination of Thompson, Robinson, or White. I like Williams, I just think Royster has the advantage - no real rhyme or reason why, just a gut feeling. Might be because of Shanahan's praise of him.

Kerrigan-- Yes

Jenkins-- Yes

Hankerson-- Yes

Helu-- Yes

Gomes-- Maybe. A lot of Gomes' chance at making the roster depends on free agency. Doughty could re-sign. Moore may not re-sign, but sounded to me like he is at least open to returning. We're also reportedly looking at some free agent corners. The one thing that Gomes has going for him is versatility. I don't think he'll be playing much corner, but in a pinch, he could do it. With Carlos Rogers all but gone, and Kevin Barnes poised for a bigger role, I think that flex safety/corner spot is wide open. This one is a wait and see for me.

Paul-- No. At the beginning of last season I think Shanny had 4 active WRs (Moss, AA, Roydell Williams, and Banks). Assuming Moss re-signs, Hankerson makes the roster, and we don't get a free agent, that leaves one spot left for Roydell, Banks, Kelly, Paul, Austin, and Aldrick Robinson. Obviously carrying 4 WRs isn't set in stone, but one of those guys will need to absolutely play their ass off to get a spot. If I had to guess who might get a 5th spot, it'd be one of the non-rookies.

Royster-- No, practice squad. To me, Torain and Keiland Williams are virtual locks for the roster, and with more invested in Helu, he almost gets the last spot by default. Royster, Andre Brown, and James Davis could compete for the last spot since Shanny is notorious for carrying multiple backs. It'll come down to one of them proving their worth on special teams. A dark-horse in my opinion is Darrel Young making the roster. He already has special teams experience, he already has real game experience, and could be eased into a bigger role with Sellers getting old.

Robinson-- No, practice squad. See Niles Paul.

Thompson-- No, practice squad. I haven't seen enough of him to make judgements, but the DBs comes down to numbers. Free agency will be huge for the DBs.

White-- No, practice squad. Our LBs seem to be set, including backups. Obviously Rak, Kerrigan, and Alexander have spots and Chris Wilson is a core special teamer for us, and is also reliable enough to play in a pinch. If the rumors of Alexander moving to ILB are true, White has a better chance, but Rob Jackson played well enough last year to give him the edge in my mind.

Hurt-- No, possibly not even practice squad. This is my one candiate for someone that gets down right cut off the team. I haven't seem him at all, so this is going on faith in numbers and reports, but his pro-day numbers suggest that he won't be a fit in the zone scheme at all and I've read his body is soft and simply fat. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I think Hurt will end up being nothing. His only saving grace is that the Skins desperately need o-line. I have a gut feeling that Oldenburg makes the roster as a backup RT though, leaving maybe a couple spots.

Neild-- Yes. My favorite pick in the entire draft, I think that Neild will make the team as the third nose tackle. Kemoeatu wasn't terrible last year, but he definitely can be upgraded. Bryant was a pleasant surprise late last year, but he hasn't shown enough to be relied on as a starter. In my opinion, Neild will be used much like Bryant was, and get eased into playing time.

Of course, free agency, training camps, and pre-season will change a lot. Guess we just have to wait and see! ;)

Paul-- No. At the beginning of last season I think Shanny had 4 active WRs (Moss, AA, Roydell Williams, and Banks). Assuming Moss re-signs, Hankerson makes the roster, and we don't get a free agent, that leaves one spot left for Roydell, Banks, Kelly, Paul, Austin, and Aldrick Robinson. Obviously carrying 4 WRs isn't set in stone, but one of those guys will need to absolutely play their ass off to get a spot. If I had to guess who might get a 5th spot, it'd be one of the non-rookies.

No way Roydell is playing next year. Banks, while an oustanding returner, will need to show something at WR to keep his spot, which for whatever reason he didn't last year. Austin will need to show something too to stay. They kept Kelly around for a reason, so he's still got a chance. If none of them stand out in preseason, I think the order of those six (Roydell, Banks, Kelly, Paul, Austin, and Robinson) are as follows:

Kelly - size, hands, has shown flashes of big-play ability

Paul - decent size, quick, can also return

Banks - return ability has him this high, lack of production at receiver has him this low

Robinson - already have a small, shifty guy in Moss. Will definitely make the practice squad if he's not on the 53

Austin - don't have any good reason, just a gut feeling that he needs to absolutely blow up to stick around

Williams - old, slow, small. Not a good combo. No chance he's on the team this year

At the beginning of last season I think Shanny had 4 active WRs (Moss, AA, Roydell Williams, and Banks).

While it's understandable to do so, it looks like somebody forgot about Old Man Galloway playing WR last year.

And just for the hell of it, I'll play along:

Kerrigan - Yes, not many 1st rounders cut before their first camp

Jenkins - Yes, we need D-line help, and even with Carriker and possibly Jenkins (from GB, not this one) there should be room on the line for him

Hankerson - Yes, this team needs lots of WR help, and Hankerson looks to play a big role

Helu - Yes, traded up for him and Shanny seems to like him. He may be the 3rd back, but he'll be here

Gomes - No. Good candidate for the PS with his versatility, but I think he gets caught in a numbers game this year

Paul - No. Possibly another PSer, but even if Moss doesn't come back, there's a logjam at WR that he's not likely to survive his 1st year.

Royster - No. Seemed to get worse each year at Penn St. Might survive to the PS, but Helu will beat him out most likely.

Robinson - No. See Paul

Thompson - No. Another PS candidate like Gomes depending on what happens in FA

Hurt - Yes. This O-line is in no shape to be turning away young players unless they are abysmal. Even with a pickup in FA, I think Hurt, being an OG, can survive the cuts and be a backup with Rabach (:fingersx:) in the interior.

White - No. PS candidate to give him a year with a full offseason to make the transition to LB in a 34

Neild - Yes. He maybe be the 3rd NT. Kemo's either #2 or cut with another pickup, but Neild will most likely be kept as NT depth until he's ready to play.

Kemoeatu wasn't terrible last year, but he definitely can be upgraded

I don't think "terrible" is an unfair assessment at all. Maybe he was still recovering from surgery and wasn't 100%, but I'd really rather not go into next season with him as the starter.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the 12 draft picks made the 53 man roster. But I'm thinking at least one or maybe two will be on the practice squad for most or all of the season. Remember when Mike Shanahan drafted Maurice Clarett in the 3rd round some years back and Clarett didn't make the opening day roster.

Kerrigan - Yes

Jenkins - Yes

Hankerson - Yes

Helu - Yes

Gomes - Yes

Paul - Yes

Royster - Yes

Robinson - No

Thompson - Yes

Hurt - Yes

White - Yes

Neild - Yes

I would agree with all of yours accept I think Royster makes the practice squad, and then gets called up when the Torain inevitably will get hurt.

Great thread topic, by the way.

HAIL!

Well the first 4 are locks to make the 53 unless they do something cosmically stupid.

The interesting area is WR were I think we will resign Moss making him and Armstrong the starters going into camp and locks to make the 53 along with Hankerson. Behind that it gets interesting - we are not going to carry more than 5 I would assume 6 is an absolute maximum. Lets say its 5 for the sake of argument pick 2 from Banks, Austin, Paul, Kelly and Robinson.

I think only one of the rookie receivers apart from Hankerson makes the team and it may come down to Paul having to beat out Banks for the WR/KR spot. Can you imagine the threads if Banks gets cut ....

By 2012/2013, hopefully all of them.

This season, I think they all make a combination of the active roster and practice squad, leading more weight to the best Redskin draft in year's.

As we currently stand, I'll take 7/8 to make the final 53 for opening day: Hankerson, Jenkins, Kerrigan, Helu, Gomes, Neild, Royster (Could well be on the practice squad, but if he tears it up pre-season .....), and Robinson. (Got a real gut feeling on him.).

Hail.

*Edit* Hopefully they'll be one or two un-drafted rooks to add once we finally get into FA.

as much as i would love to see them all on sundays, i doubt it will happen because so much is riding against them, such as lack of OTA's, and they have such a short time to learn the playbook. i am rooting for every one of them though, id love to see an influx of youth

Top four are locks, I think everyone from Royster on down is PS/cut material, though I do think 1-2 of the later picks could make the 53 out of camp. I'm not sure about Gomes or Paul...I think we really overdrafted Gomes, I don't remember being impressed with him when I watched Nebraska and I think we could have gotten him later in the draft. With Niles Paul, I'm concerned about drops.

I say six make the 53 out of camp, four make the PS, and two are cut outright.

Archived