Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IHT: Leopard mauls 11 in Fierce Fight in Indian Village

The 12th Commandment

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/07/20/world/asia/AP-AS-India-Leopard-Attack.html?_r=1&ref=global-home

KOLKATA, India (AP) — A snarling leopard mauled 11 people in an Indian village and terrorized wildlife officials trying to drive it away before it was tranquilized and died of injuries from the fierce showdown.

Forestry officials were forced to flee, dive for cover and even climb up on a jeep to escape the adult, male leopard's attacks in West Bengal state.

At one point, the big cat leapt through the air, fangs bared, and tackled a man, clutching him in its giant paws as it knocked him off the wall he was standing on.

The wildlife officials — wearing protective helmets and carrying batons and tranquilizer guns — had hoped to drive the cat into a nearby wildlife sanctuary after it wandered into the village near Siliguri, about 373 miles (600 kilometers) from Kolkata.

But the leopard stood its ground, crouching on a wall, hissing and attacking those who came near.

It injured six villagers, a policeman and four forest guards before being hit with a tranquilizer gun Tuesday. The people are recovering from their injuries, mostly swipes from the cat's claws. - continued at link

No happy whales here, this leopard kicked some serious butt before they finished him off. Too bad. 6 villagers, a cop and four forest rangers, not shabby at all.

HOLY ****!!!!

That last one there, Bang, is horrifyingly awesome.

Kinda cool to see an athletic, aggressive Bengal that won't go down without a fight. We don't get to see that in the US. :)

Was that a Marvin Lewis reference?

The one guy without a helmet doesn't seem to know the leopard is there in the first photo. Could have used a heads up from his friends.

It also looks like someone put a steak in his back right pocket. not cool

When I saw 6 people I was thinking of an American town being attacked by a leopard and 6 being hit. Then I saw picture 3. That's is a much more target rich environment than my western mind had conjured up. Suddenly 6 seems less impressive. Apparently if you peak behind a bush there you can expect to find a group of people standing there looking back at you.

Jumbo - The haunches of that animal are truly a beautiful sight.

Archived