Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ruh Roh...Mod Instigated Member Massacre Potentially Pending

Jumbo

I feel a need to make one more statement of length here re: our resident politicos---because some well-known names on "both sides of the aisle" (who may claim they shouldn't be considered being on any one "side") are potentially heading for some extended time off.

When I started this thread I told myself that if this went to 4 pages I'd tell the forum what I told my brother mods when I made the thread---that I just wanted to rattle the cages in much needed fashion and really wasn't planning on administering any penalties.

It was mainly a "Hey, get over yourselves and talk to each other, not at each other. Not one of you is any kind of frakkin' genius" dealio and to have some fun in the process. :silly:

I am noting on this matter, however, that I've received a decent sized sampling of PMs from folks of varying political affiliations supporting the idea in the OP of this thread for real. And the more I read and note how people "negatively contribute" with regularity, by being gratuitously demeaning, condescending, or just an overly-argumentative ass, and whether their offending form is dense, or rigid and repetitive, or uber-partisan (denial notwithstanding) or just ignorant, well the more I feel like doing what's stated in the OP for real. :(

Keep in mind, normally we don't penalize mod-wise for such traits unless they break certain conduct-centered rules in the process.

There is a reason, though, the line below was written into the rules: ;)

If any member becomes a significant enough source of repeated conduct issues with ES Staff or their fellow members, or accumulates an excessive number of rule violations, they risk permanent banning of their account at the discretion of the ExtremeSkins Staff.

Now make sure you have your reading comprehension hat snugly fit on your head. The red-highlighted phrase allows "conduct" to cover a wide range of behaviors. This means that if sheer weirdness or pig-headedness, or any other unpleasant and consistent communicative habit as defined/decided by any mod, is derailing/inhibiting the level of the above average internet quality discourse that this forum strives for in its serious discussion threads too much/too often, just know that for the overall benefit for the type of community sought here that a person might be exiled so they can go find another site more suited to their proclivities. :cool:

The above paragraph is what we used to call back in the day a "run-on" sentence. :D

The "or" following the highlighted phrase is an "or"---it is not inferring the phrase following it is a prerequisite that's attached to the first phrase.

You may have zero user notes/infractions and still get the boot. The last time I perma-punted someone for just being a toad in general was Vicious, who happened to be a lefty-atheist and relative newcomer. Prior to that it was a right-wing Christian zealot who had been here for much longer.

Digging what I'm laying down? :pfft:

One trait many such folks as I am describing often have in common is a strong but misplaced sense of exaggerated self-worth regarding their intellect and the "correctness" of all their positions, while frequently being dismissive and disrespectful (or worse) of even worthy opposing views/posters. They are regularly WAY over-impressed with themselves and too often under-impressed with some of the posters they treat derisively.

That's not the only style of persona that gets into hot water. The incessantly overly-argumentative shtick (usually taking the same one side of a coin in almost every thread) is another candidate for inflicting serious structural fatigue on the forum and suffering a consequence.

I suggest checking yourself for any over-abundance of such traits, or even better, ask those who deal with you regularly if they ever see those behaviors in you and pray they are willing to be honest. :evilg:

There certainly are some of you out there I hope will suffer through this post and give these themes some thought. While I try to have fun doing what I do here, it really isn't all that fun much of the time, especially when addressing matters like these. But the truth is I really do care about this place (hell, I'd have to! :silly:) and have for a long time. And I have literally put my money where my mouth is on ES as has every mod who's ever done this task.

I'd prefer to see as many disparate yet worthy voices in this forum as possible. And I have no illusions about dramatically reducing stupid or obnoxious or annoying. But neither will I totally, eternally, ignore it. Just try listening to the other guy/side in serious threads, and consider your style of conduct in any given conversation and if it's getting more like unmerited assholio versus moderately polite---unless otherwise clearly and justifiably merited by any reasonable person's standard before you pull the "**** you ferret-face, everything about you is sad and wrong" card. :ols:

And seriously, thanks for any tolerance you extend me in this forum.

deejaydana, to that, I'll simply say this---you are one of many voices I would hate to ever see leave. :)

What I will do, at the risk of leaving deserving people out or embarrassing those I mention (which is why I usually avoid doing it), is offer a very short but diverse group of posters whom I never have any worries about in these matters---and it's not to say that they are NEVER any of the things I described; we're all human. But these people, even the one or two that exhibit some...um... prodding/pokish attributes at times, do not pop up on the particular radar in play my posts:

techboy

Kilmer17

SkinsHokieFan

Predicto

Thiebear

mardi gras skins

Hubbs

Burgold

Bang (though he got feisty recently in a thread and had the maturity to PM me, discuss it, and in the thread openly stated he'd understand a ban---though this was all more about potential traditional rule violations than the matters discussed here). :)

So above are religious believers, atheists, conservative-leaning, liberal-leaning, and Libertarian-leaning posters, and one dude unpossible :D to classify. :ols:

I feel a need to make one more statement of length here.....

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Jumbo Moses for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children are here today to hear that speech...Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

:silly:

You know, Jumbo, I might spend a little less time worrying about embarrassing anyone by simply putting them on the list, and a little more time worrying about embarrassing Burgold by spelling his name wrong. :pfft:

Not the first time I've done that to Burg, Hubbs. My face is red. Some of us are slow learners. :)

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 03:10 PM ----------

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Jumbo Moses for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children are here today to hear that speech...Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

:silly:

Love the reference, mi amigo. :ols:

You know, Jumbo, I might spend a little less time worrying about embarrassing anyone by simply putting them on the list, and a little more time worrying about embarrassing Burgold by spelling his name wrong. :pfft:

Well if Burgold picks a stupid name that's hard to spell he gets what he deserves.

I actually enjoy some of the politico threads here, honestly I think the level of discourse here is higher than most politically-centered websites, and its much less of an echo chamber experience because it more of random cross-section of the population than say a discussion forum on a known political board.

You might just wanna ban all threads on Israel, I dont think Ive ever read a single thread about Israel that contained anything approaching a unique thought.

Good luck, pulling up the elvel of poltical discourse is as hard a task as I can imagine -- if you pull it off, you should run for president.

and if it's getting more like unmerited assholio versus moderately polite

This qualifier is otherwise known as "the keep zoony a mod because nobody else wants the job" escape clause. :pfft:

Oh, I don't know... I think it sounds more worldy, more European, quite in line with his NPR sensibilities, much like a copy of the New York Times on a Sunday morning, on the porch sipping a latte, and tiny wire rimmed glasses. :silly:

Not the first time I've done that to Burg, Hubbs. My face is red. Some of us are slow learners. :)

I think he used the Yiddish spelling :pfft:

It could be sanscript though...

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 06:19 PM ----------

Oh, I don't know... I think it sounds more worldy, more European, quite in line with his NPR sensibilities, much like a copy of the New York Times on a Sunday morning, on the porch sipping a latte, and tiny wire rimmed glasses. :silly:

Now, that's how to properly offend :rotflmao:

So we could have kept calling you Corky and you wouldn't have cared?

What gave you the impression that I read most of what you post, let alone cared about it. :)

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 06:29 PM ----------

See? Immediately, someone posts in the thread whose name should be on the "good" list. :pfft:

It's too late now. I've already instructed my lawyer to remove you from the will.

It was mainly a "Hey, get over yourselves and talk to each other, not at each other. Not one of you is any kind of frakkin' genius" dealio and to have some fun in the process. :silly:

I would like to point out that despite this comment, it should be known that I am indeed a genius. It even says so in my title here.

;)

at first i thought when i read the title was that a mod went on a shooting spree somewhere lol

I grew up in Alaska. I do have my share of guns and know how to shoot. But it's not only verboten for the mods to address ES member transgressions with FMJ's, they even took away my knives when I was signed. :(

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 03:39 PM ----------

I actually enjoy some of the politico threads here, honestly I think the level of discourse here is higher than most politically-centered websites, and its much less of an echo chamber experience because it more of random cross-section of the population than say a discussion forum on a known political board.

You might just wanna ban all threads on Israel, I dont think Ive ever read a single thread about Israel that contained anything approaching a unique thought.

Good luck, pulling up the elvel of poltical discourse is as hard a task as I can imagine -- if you pull it off, you should run for president.

Per the highlighted paragraph--I agree. But I submit that two other key reasons for the positive qualities of the tailgate serious-discussion threads are the very cool and worthy contributors exemplifed by the members on my woefully incomplete list, and the fact that many mods, past and present, have actually cared about such matters beyond simple rule-enforcing.

I can say that I have made a number of such threads in the last 6 years addressing concerns for forum discussion quality level, and I have done so in all thrre main forums. And I get my share of hate mail. And sometimes they are right. :pfft:

Archived