Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Johnson Knows Skins Audibles!!!

DIESEL TROLL

Florida reunion

Falcons quarterback Doug Johnson will be competing against his former college coach, Washington's Steve Spurrier, when the two teams meet in Atlanta. Everyone knows that the two men had an awful relationship at the U. of Florida. In fact, Spurrier bad-mouthed Johnson enough that he wasn't drafted in 2000. He signed with Atlanta for $17,000 as a free agent.

On Wednesday, Johnson, who is 2-0 as a Mike Vick replacement, was asked about Spurrier and all he said was that he respected his former coach. Said Johnson: "You all can keep asking, trying to sneak in the back door or the front door, but the answers are not going to change."

Johnson, who will be an unrestricted free agent after this season, has already caused the Redskins some problems. Spurrier still uses the same audible lingo he used at Florida.

"I'm sure that Doug will go in there and tell the defensive coaches a lot of our audibles," said Redskins quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise. "So we're going to have to find a way to combat that."

On a lighter side, Falcons cornerback Ray Buchanan presented Johnson with a jug of Listerine on Monday. The two players have had a running gag all summer about which one has the worse breath. Buchanan said the gift served as a compliment for Johnson's second-half play against the Cowboys while reminding him "that his breath still stinks."

PS: Geez, I can't believe this gaff by Spurrier, let's hope Ramsey can adjust, how much more are we going to put on this kid's shoulders? This is a serious problem and will cost us.....

:doh:

Another article talked about what Spurrier did last season when playing against former FL players. They simply change a few plays. That way, when the D hears an audible and is thinking run, you've really got a play like the pitch back to the QB throw long called. You don't have to change many to take advantage of a team that thinks they have your plays. SOS says they look at it during each game to see if they think opponents are stealing the plays. Afterall, there is lots of tape from last year and in college to try and figure out the hand signals. The audibles aren't much different.

I would have to think this is no surprise to the Redskins coaching staff. They've known Vick is out for about a month now, and have known the Falcons and Johnson are on the schedule since spring.

Besides, I think Johnson is going to have enough to worry about trying to get LaVar out of his earhole on Sunday to be thinking too heavily about our signals.

~Bang

There seems to be a great effort to manufacture bad blood between Spurrier & the Redskins and Johnson & the Falcons. I wish the media would just shut up already and let these two 1-0 teams get it on Sunday.

Write about the game AFTER it's played ... that way you can write about FACTS instead of fiction. :)

I thought audibles got changed for every game.

I would think that once a team plays you once, they would have a pretty good handle on your audibles. You pretty much have to constantly be changing them, or they would become common knowledge around the league, thus rendering them useless.

Oh my god! I can't..... I mean....This is........ ;)

"I'm sure that Doug will go in there and tell the defensive coaches a lot of our audibles," said Redskins quarterbacks coach Noah Brindise. "So we're going to have to find a way to combat that."

There ya have it. Thinking all is well there. Oh, he may even think he knows some of S.S.'s tendencies too, but take a look at the Jets game for questions on that.

:cheers:

John Jansen said some interesting things in his recent interview for the WT. One of the things he hit on was the fact that most of the time players on both sides of the ball know what's coming anyway, it's all a matter of who executes and who doesn't. Based on that I'd say the audible issue is a non-issue.

Originally posted by Die Hard

What the heck is the big deal? All we've heard from Spurrier's former players is how it's not the same playbook he used at Florida.

So now it is? Or was every other player lying?

Die Hard they are talking about the audibles not the playbook. Even if the playbook is different there will still be some old plays. Each team just has a different way of calling audibles, no need to worry Spurrier knows and will change it :D

As hard as they say it is for a QB to learn all the audibles in Spurrier's system, does anyone believe that the Falcons defense can learn them all in less that a week?

If Rob Johnson knew everything, they wouldn't have brought in Danny Wurffuel would they, and RJ had been with the team since spring

Originally posted by DIESEL TROLL

On Wednesday, Johnson, who is 2-0 as a Mike Vick replacement, was asked about Spurrier and all he said was that he respected his former coach. Said Johnson: "You all can keep asking, trying to sneak in the back door or the front door, but the answers are not going to change."

The Pre-season doesn't count for a win.

The Redskins have worked on changing some of their audibles this week, no sweat.

Dude, I know the audibles -- every one changes a passing play to a running play. At least, that's all Ramsey has done this season.

It's about physically dominating the opponent.

If we do that, we can tell the other team when we line up what the play is and where the runner is going and there will be nothing they can do about it.

Originally posted by Brave

There seems to be a great effort to manufacture bad blood between Spurrier & the Redskins and Johnson & the Falcons. I wish the media would just shut up already and let these two 1-0 teams get it on Sunday.

Write about the game AFTER it's played ... that way you can write about FACTS instead of fiction. :)

Yep

Manufacturing news out of nothing, & nothing more. Redskins, Snyder & Spurrier being "the usual suspects" on slow days for the NFL.

"News at 11...Reports have it, the ball holder for the Giants had a yelling match over form his sophmore year under Spurrier in his days at Florida who meet in week three!!"

-- It's almost that bad

with all of the crowd noise playing indoors the Skins are going to be limited in the amount of audibles they are able to call in any event :)

this game comes down to blocking, tackling and running as it does every week and I think the Redskins have better overall talent than Atlanta does. If Ramsey plays well and doesn't get rattled with the crowd noise early the Skins should be able to wear the Falcons down with their size on both sides of the ball.

To me this seems pretty easy to beat. If in fact they are relying on knowing our audibles (which I doubt) we could simply take a page out of MLB games and flash a series of hand-signals. Our O would know that the 3rd one is always the one we're switching to. Or change which one in the series is the real one in the huddle each play...shouldn't be too tough for Spurrier to combat this.

That may be true. But why would that matter now as opposed to if Vick was playing? He'd still know the audibles and would still be on the sidelines. Furthermore, wouldnt this mean that EVERY ex gator player would know the audibles? Why is it such an issue this week?

Oh that's right, the mediots need to put down the Skins somehow.

Archived