Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RealRedskins.com: Talk of CBA resolution this week at Redskins Park

authentic

Just saw this posted on Rotoworld as well. Not sure what to make of it.

Updating a previous item, there is now talk in the Redskins organization that the NFL lockout will end this coming Sunday, July 10.

Coach Mike Shanahan is reportedly preparing as if his team will report on time for training camp, starting July 28. The positive vibe coming out of Redskins headquarters synchronizes with a Tuesday Yahoo! Sports report that the owners and players are "closer to an agreement than many people realize -- perhaps than even some of the people involved realize."

Seems like they are going off of Shanahan on this one. But of course the coaches are going to hope things get started on time.

Sounds positive but the coaches have to plan on the assumption camp starts on time so I would not take this as a sign in and of itself. There does seem to be a positive feel about the talks though, if both sides can keep their lawyers on the leash I think we can see an agreement by weekend subject to signature and court approval.

Sounds positive but the coaches have to plan on the assumption camp starts on time so I would not take this as a sign in and of itself. There does seem to be a positive feel about the talks though, if both sides can keep their lawyers on the leash I think we can see an agreement by weekend subject to signature and court approval.

I read earlier today that the lawyers haven't been the problem at this point....FWIW

I read earlier today that the lawyers haven't been the problem at this point....FWIW

Let's hope it stays that way. I was reading the lead on CBS talking about the lead NLFPA lawyers wanting to string this out so the deal unravels and they can then go for the full anti trust filing and shoot for the moon and a multi billion dollar anti trust settlement. That would mean losing a whole season at least.

I really don't think it will come to that though.

Let's hope it stays that way. I was reading the lead on CBS talking about the lead NLFPA lawyers wanting to string this out so the deal unravels and they can then go for the full anti trust filing and shoot for the moon and a multi billion dollar anti trust settlement. That would mean losing a whole season at least.

I really don't think it will come to that though.

I don't think they want that either. For one, (as its been said many times over the week end) if they can't come to a resolution by next friday, the preseason would be in trouble. Which will directly affect total revenue for the season, which will be devestating to negotiations since it would be less $$ to divide.

Hopefully there's truth to this and not a bunch of rhetoric.

Probably just rhetoric. May turn out that the lockout will end so they can open camp on time but that does not mean that anything coming from Redskins park is anything but rhetoric. At best, this just means that a handful of decision makers feel good. In any case, both sides will be as positive as they possibly can given the situation.

they lose 200 million for each preseason week not played. It will start on time lol

precisely!! Oh and then there's this that came out today.....

If an agreement between the players and owners can’t be reached quickly, the August 7th game between the Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams will have to be canceled. It would be a dark cloud cast over a celebration of the enshrinement of the Rams’ Marshall Faulk and the Beloved’s own Richard Dent among others. Check out what Hall of Fame president Steve Perry told ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio after the jump about the game.

“We’re making all plans to have the game on time. We’ve heard from both parties — the owners and the players — and they’ve expressed their desire to have the game. So, that’s our plan,” Perry told ESPN.

“Ticket sales are lagging behind where they were compared to this time last year,” Perry acknowledged. “That’s understandable. There is some uncertainty out there. But we’re planning to have the game. Nobody has told us otherwise. In fact, both sides have told us they want to play the game.”

The lawyers are no longer being paid by the courts judgement.

They NFLPA lawyers have signed new contracts/agreements that pays them a flat fee once the CBA is agreed and signed.

So the lawyers have no motivation to drag this out any longer and have motivation to get a deal done sooner rather than later.

FWIW

It is close. That's true.

A deal could be done by next week. That's true.

The owners and players are making progress. That's true, too.

But we've been here before. It's been close for weeks, contrary to other reports.

Weeks.

And it continues to be close. NFL owners and players are indeed working towards putting the language of a new CBA into place by the weekend, multiple sources confirmed to me. Said one source: "This is the closest it has been in a while."

So the two sides are closing in on a new deal and unless some arrogant jerkwad lawyer screws it up this thing could actually get done. A handshake deal by late next week is possible (not likely by Friday as one news outlet reported).

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 08:51 PM ----------

ESPN 980

Everything I have heard from some top officials here at Redskins Park - is that they expect a deal to be announced to end the lockout early next week. You might hear a tentative deal announced before, but won't be official until ratification by both sides.

One league source tells SI.com that the players and owners are "in the red zone" with regard to labor negotiations.

"Back in March, we weren't in the same stadium," said the source. "But ... now we're in the red zone, we're driving, we can see the goal line and we have momentum. But can we still screw it up? Absolutely. That's why tomorrow and Friday are big days." Thursday and Friday's talks will include five players and De Smith, plus Roger Goodell and five owners. "It does feel like we're at the 5-yard line, and we're right there," one GM added. "But it's like Jerome Bettis has the ball, and I've seen him fumble on the 1-yard line before."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/07/06/nfl-lockout/index.html?xid=si_nfl

One league source tells SI.com that the players and owners are "in the red zone" with regard to labor negotiations.

"Back in March, we weren't in the same stadium," said the source. "But ... now we're in the red zone, we're driving, we can see the goal line and we have momentum. But can we still screw it up? Absolutely. That's why tomorrow and Friday are big days." Thursday and Friday's talks will include five players and De Smith, plus Roger Goodell and five owners. "It does feel like we're at the 5-yard line, and we're right there," one GM added. "But it's like Jerome Bettis has the ball, and I've seen him fumble on the 1-yard line before."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/07/06/nfl-lockout/index.html?xid=si_nfl

I just wanna say that is a genius analogy there with Jerome Bettis at the end of that quote. I really do think they are that close, seen some tweets saying the opposite about how far apart they really are, but I think this is done this weekend

Any coach in their right mind would be preparing for camp to start on time. Any that aren't will just be caught flat-footed if a deal is reached.

Of course they will plan for business as usual until that day passes and it's not. I don't see it happening within the next 2-3 weeks...Talk is cheap, it take money to buy whiskey.

Archived