Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is wrong with Jordan Williams?

grhqofb5

1.) Lack of athleticism

2.)No jumpshot

3.)Not very skilled in the post.

Yep. That's about it right there. I like Williams, but I think he made a big mistake developmentally in coming out. He probably will make more money this year because the draft is so weak, but I think he could have made bigger strides in his game if he came back to Maryland. He just is not that great of an athlete. I just don't know how effective he will be in the NBA. In college, he could be dominant just based on size, because not many teams had guys as big as he was. In the NBA, everybody will and the ones he will go up against will be better athletes. He has a lot of work to do.

But I have heard that he has gotten guarantees that he will be a late 1st round pick. I am not sure if I would take him in the 1st, but it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

And there is your problem.

Watch the games. Stats don't always tell the story.

He is a project, but I would certainly put him mid to late first round.

Rebounding alone will probably get him some serious consideration for the first round.

Exactly. It's like looking at Jimmer Fredette's 1.5 spg (or whatever it was) and coming to the conclusion that he was a good defender.

Right, but his competition wasn't the same as Williams'. For the record, I wouldn't compare him to Okafor. Statistically, in the NBA Okafer is a solid rebounder and maginal scorer. Would it be unreasonable to expect Williams to be a solid rebounder in the NBA?

That's a valid argument, but compared to some other skillsets I think rebounding translates better into the NBA. Just look at Ben Wallace. He was a great rebounder at the D2 level and became even better in the NBA.

Do you have a different opinion? Maybe you should share it instead of being a smart***.

My opinion is that the ACC was extremely weak last year, both the Big East and Big10 were WAY better leagues, and you could argue that the Big 12 was just as good if not better than the ACC. Any argument that stems from Jordan Williams playing in the best conference loses all credibility as does any person who tries to make that claim, especially when they subsequently admit that they haven't really watched many Maryland games and therefore have no real basis for the claim they are making.

That better?

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

But don't take my word for it:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/conferences

Conference RPI

Conf RPI Rank

Big East

Big Ten

Big 12

Mountain West

ACC

SEC

Pac 10

As a MD fan, I wish he'd have stayed one more year. I think he needs it. All the responses in this thread have been pretty fair for him. Going in the first round gives him a guaranteed contract and like the one poster said, he'll go to a good team that can sit him on the bench and let him learn. He was a solid player, not spectacular. He needs to develop a low post game. I think his jump shot is OK, not great. He can stick it from 10-15 feet out. But he should have stayed and developed his game more.

ACC or Duke?

ACC

What conference is dwarfing them.

I mean I get the point, but his post was idiotic given the first pick of the draft was a Freshman from the ACC, one wouldn't deduce the ACC is a weak conference because Jordan WIlliams was drafted in the second as a sophomore :ols: It's just stupid.

ACC

What conference is dwarfing them.

I mean I get the point, but his post was idiotic given the first pick of the draft was a Freshman from the ACC, one wouldn't deduce the ACC is a weak conference because Jordan WIlliams was drafted in the second as a sophomore :ols: It's just stupid.

The #1 pick was a freshman from the ACC that did not actually play any games in the ACC. He played 8 regular season games, none against an ACC opponent. Saying that kyrie Irving made the ACC slate tougher is sort of ridiculous.

The #1 pick was a freshman from the ACC that did not actually play any games in the ACC. He played 8 regular season games, none against an ACC opponent. Saying that kyrie Irving made the ACC slate tougher is sort of ridiculous.

Exactly, as ridiculous as judging a conference by where a sophomore gets drafted...hence my point. But if you want to judge conferences by drafts, the ACC did alright. But it's a stupid measure.

Archived