Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is wrong with Jordan Williams?

grhqofb5

So why is it that the nation's third leading rebounder (who happens to play in arguably college basketball's toughest division) is not projected to be more than a late 1st or early 2nd round draft pick? Not a bad scorer either (16.7 points per game) with decent NBA size (6'9" 260lbs). Am I missing something? Character issues? Work ethic?

He's young, inexperienced, and to some degree untested. He probably should have stayed; I assume he looked at the strength of the field and jumped into the draft, whereas otherwise he would have stayed in college. I also suspect that The Folks Who Know look at him and see a guy whose NBA success is a more perilous bet than many other guys in the draft.

I say this as a fan.

he's not that great a athlete.

his drills numbers were among the lowest of all the draftees who went to the combine

he's very limited offensively. He doesn't have much of a post game, has never really displayed a jumper.

I honestly think he only came out because this draft is incredibly weak so it increases his chances of being drafted late in the 1st round. Still might not happen

He's young, inexperienced, and to some degree untested. He probably should have stayed; I assume he looked at the strength of the field and jumped into the draft, whereas otherwise he would have stayed in college. I also suspect that The Folks Who Know look at him and see a guy whose NBA success is a more perilous bet than many other guys in the draft.

I say this as a fan.

he's not that great a athlete.

his drills numbers were among the lowest of all the draftees who went to the combine

he's very limited offensively. He doesn't have much of a post game, has never really displayed a jumper.

I honestly think he only came out because this draft is incredibly weak so it increases his chances of being drafted late in the 1st round. Still might not happen

1.) Lack of athleticism

2.)No jumpshot

3.)Not very skilled in the post.

What about rebounding? Is there any doubt that he was the best rebounder in college basketball this past season? Look at the two guys above him and consider the competition. What if he goes 10 and 10 for five years? Isn't that 1st round quality?

What about rebounding? Is there any doubt that he was the best rebounder in college basketball this past season? Look at the two guys above him and consider the competition. What if he goes 10 and 10 for five years? Isn't that 1st round quality?

NBA teams draft on potential. Williams has very limited upside. When he plays in the NBA he'll be facing much better players, those who will be much more athletic and skillful, than he sees in college. You have to go beyond the stats when thinking about how a player translates to the pros

being a late 1st round pick won't be a bad thing for Williams. It means he's likely going to a good team that can hopefully help grow his game while he initially plays limited minutes.

NBA teams draft on potential. Williams has very limited upside. When he plays in the NBA he'll be facing much better players, those who will be much more athletic and skillful, than he sees in college. You have to go beyond the stats when thinking about how a player translates to the pros

being a late 1st round pick won't be a bad thing for Williams. It means he's likely going to a good team that can hopefully help grow his game while he initially plays limited minutes.

Who in this draft projects to be a better rebounder, based on potential?

What if he doesn't? The team that drafted him in the first round will look extremely foolish.

The level of competition in the NBA is far beyond that in college. Looking at most of the guys who do reasonably well in the NBA over several years, they had multiple strong dimensions to their game in college. To go first round, I'd say it's not enough to only be top notch in one aspect of the college game. You have to show potential to hang with the big boys on both sides of the court and -- for a big guy -- in the post.

I really wish Jordan had stayed.

No one is going to draft a glorified Reggie Evans with a high pick.

So you'd rather have the next Shane Battier? Or Jarvis Hayes? How about the next Emeka Okafor, which is perhaps more likely. After all, not talking about a guy with no offensive game at all right?

4. if he is 6' 9" then I am the starting QB for the Skins' next season

Damn, if people are lying about his height, (listed at 6'9") then what can we say? Don't they measure these guys in shoes at the combine? Isn't wingspan a factor as well? What did he measure at the combine?

Damn, if people are lying about his height, (listed at 6'9") then what can we say? Don't they measure these guys in shoes at the combine? Isn't wingspan a factor as well? What did he measure at the combine?

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2011&source=All&sort2=ASC&draft=0&pos=5&sort=

DraftExpress: If you needed combine numbers to tell you that Jordan Williams is a non-athlete, you may want to find a new line of work. No surprises here.

2011-05-25 10:53:06

So you'd rather have the next Shane Battier? Or Jarvis Hayes? How about the next Emeka Okafor, which is perhaps more likely. After all, not talking about a guy with no offensive game at all right?

If you are trying to say that Jordan Williams can be like Emeka Okafor, then I'd say you're wrong. Okafor is pretty athletic for the center position and has good size.

Unskilled power forwards are being phased out in the NBA and Williams doesn't have ideal size for the center position..

Wait...am I reading correctly that the OP compared Jordan Williams to Emeka Okafor? [John Starks voice] DID THIS DUDE JUST DID THIS???? [/John Starks voice] LOLOLOL....i'm sorry, but those two couldn't be any more different. I don't know if the OP remembers how dominant Okafor was in college, but he was an absolute menace defensively at UConn. On top of it all, he didn't have the athletic limitations that Williams does. I don't even know why the two are being compared. It's like comparing Nolan Smith to Rudy Gay.

I would say the best rebounder this past year was Kenneth Faried from Morehead State. That guy is a beast.

I would say the best rebounder this past year was Kenneth Faried from Morehead State. That guy is a beast.

Right, but his competition wasn't the same as Williams'. For the record, I wouldn't compare him to Okafor. Statistically, in the NBA Okafer is a solid rebounder and maginal scorer. Would it be unreasonable to expect Williams to be a solid rebounder in the NBA?

Way too many ??????? about Williams. The thing that scares me the most about him from a draft standpoint is not a "plug and play" guy. It will take 3-4 years in the NBA to reach his peak, and many guys like him get destroyed physically and mentally by then. And even if he progresses in those 3-4 years, his contract is up by that time and team gets no benefit (see Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal).

Right, but his competition wasn't the same as Williams'. For the record, I wouldn't compare him to Okafor. Statistically, in the NBA Okafer is a solid rebounder and maginal scorer. Would it be unreasonable to expect Williams to be a solid rebounder in the NBA?

Comparing but not comparing. ;)

Okafor was a dominant player in multiple elements of the college game, but he is "only" a standout rebounder in the NBA. Not to take away from Williams' many double-doubles, but what he did in college is not nearly the same thing as what Okafor did in college. Expecting (expecting!) Williams to be a solid rebounder may or may not be unreasonable. The uncertainty is a killer. Particularly if it means you give up on drafting some other big guy with a more developed and balanced game. Even in a weak draft, those guys will be out there.

Out of neutral curiosity, why are you so gung-ho about Jordan Williams? I enjoyed watching him and I was glad he played for Maryland instead of somebody else, but I think the collective opinion on the guy is pretty accurate.

Comparing but not comparing. ;)

Out of neutral curiosity, why are you so gung-ho about Jordan Williams? I enjoyed watching him and I was glad he played for Maryland instead of somebody else, but I think the collective opinion on the guy is pretty accurate.

I'm not particularly gung-ho on him. I probably watched 3 Maryland games last year. My question has probably been answered in this thread. But I look at his rebounding stats (3rd in the nation) and the fact that he played against prime competition, and wonder why he doesn't project higher than late first/early 2nd. To me, those draft positions are more or less throw aways (maybe I'm a bit jaded based on the wizards recent track record in the middle of the draft).

So my conclusion is "damn, there must be something wrong with the guy." So is it fair to say that his college rebounding prowess does not project well to the NBA?

Archived