Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CT: Health officials unveil graphic tobacco warning labels

China

Health officials unveil graphic tobacco warning labels

WASHINGTON -- Dead bodies, diseased lungs and a man on a ventilator were among the graphic images for revamped tobacco labels unveiled on Tuesday by U.S. health officials.

Proposed in November under a law that put the multibillion-dollar tobacco industry under the control of the Food and Drug Administration, the new labels must be on cigarette packages and in advertisements starting in October 2012.

ucm259737.gif

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg were to announce the nine new warnings at the White House, but the labels were released early Tuesday at http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/CigaretteWarningLabels/default.htm.

They show images that may disturb some, including one titled "WARNING: Cigarettes are addictive," illustrated with a photograph of a man smoking a cigarette through a hole in his throat.

ucm259734.gif

Click on the link for the full article

When is the government going to just throw in the towel? NOTHING is going to keep smokers from smoking beside wanting to quit. You can show all the messed up teeth and tracheotomies you want. They're not going to quick. End of story.

I tend to agree here, but stop smoking campaigns have worked. They haven't eliminated the problem, but they have without a doubt worked.

*edit: One of the reasons I agree with what bluefood said is that my mother-in-law smokes and any more I'm pretty direct with her about her smoking. One afternoon she said just kinda randomly how much she loved my kids, and I asked her what she would be willing to do to spend more time with them, "oh anything!" "Would you quit smoking for them?".......silence........

That put me into the mind of at least one smoker.

Smoking has declined pretty dramatically over the past decade. Probably more due to the price rather than the warnings.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/109048/us-smoking-rate-still-coming-down.aspx

Less and less people are starting smoking and that trend should continue over the coming decades. That's what will really phase out smoking, not cigarette packs with corpses trying to budge people who are already smokers.

Less and less people are starting smoking and that trend should continue over the coming decades. That's what will really phase out smoking, not cigarette packs with corpses trying to budge people who are already smokers.
I think it's because smoking is becoming less and less trendy. There's a growing number of militant non-smokers and smoking just isn't cool anymore.

Whatever works. I think smoking will also decline as the folks who started smoking because it was so extremely prevelant die off over the next 20 years.

Dead bodies, diseased lungs and a man on a ventilator were among the graphic images for revamped tobacco labels unveiled on Tuesday by U.S. health officials.

Cool. So when do we get the labels on all alcohol containers with pictures of dead bodies, cirrhosis of the liver, drunk driving accidents, battered wives, etc? And when can we force them to stop advertising on TV and making kids think drinking is cool, will make you popular, and will get you chicks?

No, I'm not a smoker. I'm allergic to tobacco and I do drink alcohol on occasion (I have the day off, so I've got a rum and coke at my side as I type this). I just find the attitude that we can treat 1 addictive and harmful substance like it's the Black Death part 2, but treat another one like you're a freak of society if you don't like it. Tell somebody you don't smoke and you're normal, tell somebody you don't drink and they look at your like you've got a 3rd eye.

Cool. So when do we get the labels on all alcohol containers with pictures of dead bodies, cirrhosis of the liver, drunk driving accidents, battered wives, etc? And when can we force them to stop advertising on TV and making kids think drinking is cool, will make you popular, and will get you chicks?

No, I'm not a smoker. I'm allergic to tobacco and I do drink alcohol on occasion (I have the day off, so I've got a rum and coke at my side as I type this). I just find the attitude that we can treat 1 addictive and harmful substance like it's the Black Death part 2, but treat another one like you're a freak of society if you don't like it. Tell somebody you don't smoke and you're normal, tell somebody you don't drink and they look at your like you've got a 3rd eye.

I would be totally in favor of putting pictures of fat people on all fast food containers.

fat-kits-eating-mcdonalds.jpg

Sweet, major victory in the fight against tobacco. I'm very happy about this as graphic warnings have been proven to be an effective deterent in other countries in which they've been implemented, namely Canada and South America. People can laugh at this tool, and people can doubt its effectiveness, but that's fine with me, keep them on there. These labels are primarily aimed at the younger demographic (who the tobacco companies target) and I hope these will help efforts to fight the number one preventable cause of death in the US. I'm stoked with the FDA's new powers in tobacco regulation.

I guess as a person who has never smoked, nor even tried a cigarette in my lifetime, I just can't understand why anyone would start in the first place. Especially now with all the information known about them. I never caved to pear-pressure. Never had the desire to try it. Unfathomable to me that anyone would light one up for the first time nowadays.

I guess as a person who has never smoked, nor even tried a cigarette in my lifetime, I just can't understand why anyone would start in the first place. Especially now with all the information known about them. I never caved to pear-pressure. Never had the desire to try it. Unfathomable to me that anyone would light one up for the first time nowadays.

Never got it either....

But I was drunk and it's sociable. Now I'm hooked. I swear 80% of Richmond City smokes :(

I come from the same viewpoint as you. I hate everything about smoking and never really gave a crap about peer pressure...even though there was never any peer pressure for me to smoke or drink growing up.

Working in the tobacco sector of public health now has definitely opened my eyes to how many smokers get hooked at a young age. Just a few facts, average age smokers begin smoking is 11-13, and 80% of current adult smokers began smoking before they were 18 (90%before they were 21). Adolescents and teenagers are the populations public health officials are primarily attempting to target with tobacco free campaigns and other interventions.

Me either. For a "buzz?" But hey, better to become a chain smoker than an alcoholic.

Archived