Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports car with the best gas mileage?

GOSKINS_08

Also, asking which sports car gets the best gas mileage, is like asking to be set up with the hottest girl with the smallest breasts.

And you have a problem with that?

I'm not a breast man,nor opposed to economy and performance in women or cars :)

My 2010 Prius is averaging 50-55 MPG between fill-ups. The newer generation ( Gen 3 2010 & 2011) doesn't look nearly as bad as they 2nd generation. Plus, it actually has more acceleration and power than my previously-owned Subaru Outback. I love the technology in it as well!

I second the Prius! I commute 62 miles one way and I get an average of 54mpg. And the clean fuel tags allow commuting in the HOV lanes - something I needed for my sanity driving from Fredericksburg to Tysons every day.

For a fake Porsche? Maybe if you're a middle aged female high school teacher who just got her 20yr bonus. :)

How is that a fake Porsche?

And BMW is 10x the mid life crisis car than Porsche ... around here alot of people have them and its mostly the under 40 crowd...

I second the Prius! I commute 62 miles one way and I get an average of 54mpg. And the clean fuel tags allow commuting in the HOV lanes - something I needed for my sanity driving from Fredericksburg to Tysons every day.

Hybrids are a marketing con, they are not as fuel efficient as say a VW Polo with the Blue Efficiency engines and they cost a damn site more new and second hand. One of the most important factors in your MPG is the way you drive - use of the throttle, not braking without need, use of gears etc.

Final word on the Prius - over here in the UK we have a show called Top Gear which is a magazine/entertainment show based around cars. They did a test with a Prius against a BMW M3 both being driven around a track at a constant 30 mile per hour with exactly a gallon of fuel. Guess which car ran out of gas first? (Hint it was not the BMW).

Mind you anyone who can drive an M3 at a constant 30 MPH needs shooting which brings us back to the thread - as others have said its the wrong question, if you want good gas mileage don't get a sports car at least for your regular commute.

How is that a fake Porsche?

And BMW is 10x the mid life crisis car than Porsche ... around here alot of people have them and its mostly the under 40 crowd...

It's not worthy of the badge....a glorified miata. Biggest mistake Porsche made. The Cayman was a bit redeeming but still...its like going to nieman marcus and buying the cheapest thing on the sale rack just to walk around with the bag. Any time I see boxster drivers it's so often the middle aged person who's wife finally let them buy a used "sports car" so they went out and got a boxster, and call it "the Porsche."

Lame. Generalization, absolutely, I'll be the first to admit it, but one of my least favorite cars. Don't get me started on BMW's and their drivers, I've got plenty of generalizations there too (esp as a former member of that awful community).

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 09:07 PM ----------

Hybrids are a marketing con, they are not as fuel efficient as say a VW Polo with the Blue Efficiency engines and they cost a damn site more new and second hand. One of the most important factors in your MPG is the way you drive - use of the throttle, not braking without need, use of gears etc.

Final word on the Prius - over here in the UK we have a show called Top Gear which is a magazine/entertainment show based around cars. They did a test with a Prius against a BMW M3 both being driven around a track at a constant 30 mile per hour with exactly a gallon of fuel. Guess which car ran out of gas first? (Hint it was not the BMW).

Mind you anyone who can drive an M3 at a constant 30 MPH needs shooting which brings us back to the thread - as others have said its the wrong question, if you want good gas mileage don't get a sports car at least for your regular commute.

Do you have a link to that episode or YouTube? Hard to believe...not calling bs but that's interesting.

As for hybrids being marketing cons....I would somewhat agree, ESP when compared to some of the old CRX's and others that got insane mileage, but realistically, think about how heavy these cars are today with all the technology and safety equipment...it's really a different ballgame, and hybrids are point blank a way to get better, cheaper mileage. Not to say a well engineered turbocharged car that's designed for mpg couldn't also accomplish similar stats (which is your point) but hybrids are not totally bs.

Driving a car continuously on a track is a terrible approximation of real world driving conditions, unless your talking about Formula 1 or NASCAR. In city driving, you do alot of stopping and starting. On the highways you don't have to corner as often as you do on a track. The Prius was designed to take advantages of those two situations. At low speeds the gas engine isn't even running. Also engaging the brakes gently will regenerate the battery. So while the M3 (and any other non-hybrid ICE engine) will be sucking down gas at a stoplight, the Prius won't be using any.

Sure if you go on the Autobahn and drive 85 miles/hour, I'd imagine the M3 gets better gas mileage. But very few people do that with any regularity. Its ridiculous to think that the M3 somehow gets comparable gas mileage to the Prius.

I think those guys at Top Gear just want to make M3 owners feel better about their cars - that whole show is geared towards sports cars.

I don't know anything about the Polo - do you have any real world experience?

I would agree its silly to get a sports car for a regular commute.

+1

This is how most of my buddies do it. They find a cheap, mechanically sound "beater" for work and then buy the car they really want for cruising or weekends or what have you. That way they can get exactly what they want and not worry about compromising if their ideal sportscar/musclecar doesn't happen to get decent gas mileage.

Only problem with that is you're spending most of your time driving in a piece of ****. :)

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 04:44 AM ----------

I am getting one of these this summer:

scion-tc-2-lg-76151039.jpg

It is built on the Lexus IS frame so it is a poor man's Lexus sports car. :D

The new Toyota FT-86 looks like it might be an interesting compact sportscar. I think they are making an electric version of it as well.

It's not worthy of the badge....a glorified miata. Biggest mistake Porsche made. The Cayman was a bit redeeming but still...its like going to nieman marcus and buying the cheapest thing on the sale rack just to walk around with the bag. Any time I see boxster drivers it's so often the middle aged person who's wife finally let them buy a used "sports car" so they went out and got a boxster, and call it "the Porsche."

Lame. Generalization, absolutely, I'll be the first to admit it, but one of my least favorite cars. Don't get me started on BMW's and their drivers, I've got plenty of generalizations there too (esp as a former member of that awful community).

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 09:07 PM ----------

Do you have a link to that episode or YouTube? Hard to believe...not calling bs but that's interesting.

As for hybrids being marketing cons....I would somewhat agree, ESP when compared to some of the old CRX's and others that got insane mileage, but realistically, think about how heavy these cars are today with all the technology and safety equipment...it's really a different ballgame, and hybrids are point blank a way to get better, cheaper mileage. Not to say a well engineered turbocharged car that's designed for mpg couldn't also accomplish similar stats (which is your point) but hybrids are not totally bs.

Here is a Top Gear link to the feature on the Prius versus M3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk

It was actually a slightly different test than my memory of it. It was a ten lap test with the Prius being driven around a track as fast as it could be (so not very fast at all) - i.e breaking, accelerating etc with the M3 keeping pace right behind. so to DCSaints point it was a better test of real world fuel efficency than a constant speed test. The test was which car returned the better MPG over the ten laps and it was the M3. The point Top Gear were making was not that an M3 is more economical than a Prius (though it was on this test most Prius owners are not going to drive them flat out) it was that its the WAY you drive which has the most impact on your MPG.

The show also pointed out that if you take into account the carbon cost of the manufacture of a Prius it is one of the least enviromentally friendly cars on the road (its the batterys with all that nickle which send its footprint soaring).

On the Polo with the 3 cylinder efficiency engine real world testing has shown it gets amazing mileage - noy quite the 74 MPG VW claim but way more than any Prius however see the list below of the top 10 most economical cars available in the UK factoring in MPG, cost, depreciation etc. The Prius does not make the top ten. Mind you almost all of the cars on that list are dreadful to drive - if that was choice of daily drive I think I would walk ....

http://www.mosteconomicalcars.com/

Finally if you do want some fun and help save the planet check out this link to Tesla who make an electric roadster and sports coupe which have amazing performance and zero emissions. They cost a fortune mind you and have a pathetic range but you cant have everything .....

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Deville is a boat and the CTS feels like a yacht...even the V although it hauls in a straight line and corners terrifically, it just doesnt "feel" nimble. The regular CTS' are slugs. Id rather buy a used C55 or even a low mileage E46 M3 and have more fun with it...depends on your budget.

I'm going to second what a lot of people have already mentioned just get a normal commuting car that has AC, maybe sunroof, decent seats and good MPG. With all the money you save you can buy a house, save for that real sports car and not have to really compromise to get a neutered sports car for MPG sake.

Well, I got the Prius partly for the gas mileage (which is great) and for the ability to ride in the HOV lanes in order to shave about a third of the time off of my massive daily commute. As far as the BMW, I would love to have one -- but it's not in this girl's budget at the moment. As far as overpaying, I don't think I did too bad. I paid about $24,000 for my Prius in 2006 - not exactly breaking the bank. And it's a Toyota so I have had zero mechanical or other problems with it and it has almost 200,000 miles on it -- and when I do replace something on it, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg -- not sure how that BMW would compare (have not researched it). All things considered, I am very happy with it. One of these days, when I am not commuting, I would love to have a sports car - but right now it is not in the cards!

Dude explain more about what you like and what you want in a car.

"i want a car with good mileage and sporty" is not enough if you want real accurate recommendations.

Lol I'm really up in the air..My top choices if im going with a sports car or a nice looking car are Cadillac, camaro, mustang..If I'm going good gas mileage I still want it to look nice..I like the Altimas.

Well, I got the Prius partly for the gas mileage (which is great) and for the ability to ride in the HOV lanes in order to shave about a third of the time off of my massive daily commute. As far as the BMW, I would love to have one -- but it's not in this girl's budget at the moment. As far as overpaying, I don't think I did too bad. I paid about $24,000 for my Prius in 2006 - not exactly breaking the bank. And it's a Toyota so I have had zero mechanical or other problems with it and it has almost 200,000 miles on it -- and when I do replace something on it, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg -- not sure how that BMW would compare (have not researched it). All things considered, I am very happy with it. One of these days, when I am not commuting, I would love to have a sports car - but right now it is not in the cards!

Just to be clear I was not suggesting you ditch the Prius for an M3 they are totally different cars. The M3 is a hardcore sports coupe with a 4.0 V8 tuned to give over 400 BHP and a suspension that is tuned to give you best in just about any class handling. It will get you from 0-60 in a tad over 4 seconds if you get the shifts right. Its a GREAT car and is very usable as an everyday car as well with great build quality and reliability. I had one a few years ago but with the old 3.2 V6 engine, the new model is even better. I dont know what they retail at in the US but in the UK you are looking at about 45,000 pounds (so about $70,000) new and thats without going mad on the options list.

I recall changing the brake discs and pads all round after some 'enthusiastic' driving on my old M3 and having a heart attack when I saw the bill so not that economical to run then .....Tyres were not cheap either .....

All I am saying is that if you are looking for an economical car which is also kind to the environment there are a lot of better choices than a Prius or any hybrid for that matter. The HOV lane does sound like a good selling point though!

Lol I'm really up in the air..My top choices if im going with a sports car or a nice looking car are Cadillac, camaro, mustang..If I'm going good gas mileage I still want it to look nice..I like the Altimas.

I had a CTS as a hire car earlier this year on a trip from Miami to the Keys. Build quality was awful especially on the interior, steering was dead and suspension achieved the almost impossible compromise of being neither comfortable or giving good cornering grip.

I would choose a Camaro over the Mustang and would not touch either unless you can get the bigger engine. The Mustang with a V6 is just bad. Bigger engines though do not good gas mileage provide ....

The new Toyota FT-86 looks like it might be an interesting compact sportscar. I think they are making an electric version of it as well.

It is going to be a Scion brand and called FR-S and close to 30K. That would be out of my price range. And it won't hit the market until next year but I need a car this year. :(

2011-scion-fr-s-concept-7_1024x0w.jpg

It will have the Subaru's boxer engine with real wheel drive and more horses. :)

It is going to be a Scion brand and called FR-S and close to 30K. That would be out of my price range. And it won't hit the market until next year but I need a car this year. :(

2011-scion-fr-s-concept-7_1024x0w.jpg

It will have the Subaru's boxer engine with real wheel drive and more horses. :)

The picture is of the concept car and looks great but expect the production version to be more muted as it will be easier (read cheaper) to maunfacture - a lot of the styling and detail will probably be lost. I understand they will be putting the Subuar 2.0 flat 4 in which will give around 200 BHP. Not that hot but a turbo version may follow which will probably put it up around the 240 BHP mark which is starting to get into interesting territory. I used to have a Fiat Coupe 2.0 16V Turbo years ago and that put out 250 BHP and was a lot of fun to drive - it was frnt wheel drive so about 250 is the most you can put through without getting bad torque steer. But the FT-86 is rear wheel drive so it would be a great candidate for some tuning and ECU tweaks to add another 20 or 30 BHP and make it really interesting.

Heres a link to some spy shots of the car in the metal.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spied/11q2/2012_scion_fr-s_toyota_ft-86_subaru_rwd_sports_car_spy_photos-future_cars

Archived