Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wii U

Toe Jam

so anyways, I was looking into the Power7 processor family by Intel, and their lowest-end processor is a 6-core 3.7 GHz processor. Each core supports 4-way simultaneous threading (helps cut down on stalls in the pipeline for better efficiency).

at theoretically 30.33 GFLOPS per core, the low-end model would perform at approximately 182 GFLOPS.

To compare that to current gen, the Xbox Xenos processor's theoretical peak performance is 91 GFLOPS. (but it has 2-way Simultaneous threading and fewer execution units meaning more pipeline stalls and less likely to reach its peak).

Nintendo's E3 2011 keynote yesterday gave the world its first official look at the all-new Wii U hardware plus (we thought) a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console. As it turns out, the impressive list of upcoming games for the 2012-bound console was just that, a list, with the visuals we saw on screen coming from PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of said titles. Nintendo of America chief Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with GameTrailers, where he also points out that the eventual Wii U games will look at least as good as their PS3 / 360 counterparts. Which is why, in his eyes, it's okay to show us those games being played on the competition's (current-gen) hardware. He does remind us that the Wii U will be delivering graphics at a 1080p resolution, and points to the garden tech demo that also graced E3 as an indicator of what can be done with Nintendo's next console. That's all well and good, but maybe tell us in advance next time, Reggie?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/nintendo-admits-its-wii-u-highlight-reel-was-spiced-up-with-ps3/

It's got Zelda and Smash Brothers. I know I'm getting it. I know Nintendo is going to make great games for it. What I don't know is will it have great third party support.

I want at least 3 of those new controllers. I hope they're cheaper than a game or I'll just wait for a sale of some kind.

]It's got Zelda and Smash Brothers. I know I'm getting it. I know Nintendo is going to make great games for it. What I don't know is will it have great third party support.

I want at least 3 of those new controllers. I hope they're cheaper than a game or I'll just wait for a sale of some kind.

Unlike the Wii' date=' the Wii U will actually have a strong supporting cast of developers eager to make games. Which means that the Wii U will have a better list of launch games than the Wii and should be able to satisfy the hardcore gamer, while still cashing in on the casual gamer[/quote']

A credible source to back me up

Wii U boasts M-rated third-party support

LOS ANGELES--As part of its 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference today, Nintendo formally unveiled Wii U, marking its entry into the high-definition console market. Though it trails behind Microsoft and Sony by more than five years, Nintendo has wasted no time in attracting third-party publishers' more violent wares to its new, more powerful console.

In a sizzle reel promoting the Wii U, Nintendo confirmed that a number of previously announced titles will also be coming to its new console. These titles include the recently announced Sega's Aliens: Colonial Marines, as well as THQ's Metro: Last Light, Namco Bandai's Tekken, Codemasters' Dirt, Ubisoft's Ghost Recon Online, Warner Bros.' Batman: Arkham City, and Tecmo Koei's Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. (Tecmo Koei confirmed that Razor's Edge on the Wii U is different from Ninja Gaiden 3 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.)

I'm still not convinced about how fun it'll be. I love Nintendo's first party games like Mario, Zelda, Smash Brothers and the like... but I don't know about this.

I think for the next generation I'm just going to get either a 3DS or a PS Vita. It's cheaper and takes up less space. I don't do a whole lot of gaming anymore anyway.

• 1 year later...

Nintendo's Wii U to go on sale Nov. 18 for $299.99 and $349.99

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-nintendo-announces-wii-u-pricing-and-release-date-20120913,0,6891969.story

By Alex Pham

September 13, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

It's game on for the battle of the next-generation video game consoles.

Nintendo Co. on Thursday kicked off the high-stakes competition by announcing that its highly anticipated Wii U video game console will hit stores Nov. 18 with a price tag starting at $299.99 for a basic package. A deluxe package, which will include the "Nintendo Land" game and more memory, will be sold for $349.99.

I might buy it when it comes out. Nintendo doesn't really have that many bugs on their new systems. Me and my family loves to play Mario Bros Wii, so I am guessing this Mario Bros Wii U is going to be a hit with us as well.

I'm just not completely sold on this just yet. I had a lot of high hopes for the Wii, but they fell short on that one because they didn't have game designers really set up ahead of time to take full advantage of the wii capabilities and as a result few games really did. Plus, they seem to be sticking with the kid aspect of it and don't really offer much in the way of adult. At least some of the kid games are fun for adults too, but I wish there had been more of a balance on the wii.

The Wii U does look promising, but it does seem kind of gimmicky also, and I'm hesitant to buy one. Hopefully the reviews are great when it releases.

Honestly, I'll probably break down and buy one if a great Zelda game comes out.

The thing with me is that I was never a hardcore gamer. I usually stick with sports, and maybe the occasional FPS game. But I do think from the looks up this, this game will provide a great bridge between the current gen and the next gen. I wouldn't considered this next-gen, and I don't think Nintendo cares. They know their market and while they might try to branch out to hardcore gamers, they know where their cashflow comes from. We can blame companies like WWE and Nintendo for going soft, but their pockets are straight. :2cents:

I've always loved nintendo franchises, and while i'm sure the graphics will be obsolete in a year or two, since I think it is only a bit more than a ps3 spec wise, their gameplay dynamics usually always keep me engaged. They have enough third part support on this launch to warrant a buy, but I'll wait for smash bros, zelda and company before I buy.

Just ordered mine. Looks great.

EDIT: I dont't even really play video games so much these days...but I do have family and friends that enjoy them more. I do have to check on reverse gameplay that I heard about to not get rid of the rockband and some others that I have now.

Seems pretty cool to me.

Archived