Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does Shaq rank all time for centers?

JMS

Where does Shaq fit in the list of all time great centers?

• 3 Championships
  • 1 MVP award
  • NBA Rookie of the Year award,
  • 15 All-Star game
  • three All-Star Game MVP awards,
  • three Finals MVP awards,
  • two scoring titles,
  • 14 All-NBA team
  • three NBA All-Defensive Team selections.
  • one of only three players to win NBA MVP, All-Star game MVP and Finals MVP awards in the same year (2000); ( Willis Reed in 1970 and Michael Jordan in 1996 and 1998 ).
  • He ranks 5th all-time in points scored,
  • 5th in field goals,
  • 12th in rebounds,
  • 7th in blocks.

4th

I would put him after Russel, Wilt and Kareem, but before Akeem and Moses.

Where does Shaq fit in the list of all time great centers?

• 1 MVP award,
  • NBA Rookie of the Year award,
  • 15 All-Star game
  • three All-Star Game MVP awards,
  • three Finals MVP awards,
  • two scoring titles,
  • 14 All-NBA team
  • three NBA All-Defensive Team selections.
  • one of only three players to win NBA MVP, All-Star game MVP and Finals MVP awards in the same year (2000); ( Willis Reed in 1970 and Michael Jordan in 1996 and 1998 ).
  • He ranks 5th all-time in points scored,
  • 5th in field goals,
  • 12th in rebounds,
  • 7th in blocks.[

I would put him after Russel, Wilt and Kareem, but before Akeem and Moses.

I think he's top 5. I would go with Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Akeem and then Shaq.

He's up there, that's for sure. Wilt and Russel are above him for sure, but he maybe on par with Kareem. I'd put him at third or fourth.

It's hard to put him above Kareem. The all time NBA scoring champion with 6 rings and 6 league MVP's.

I think one can argue Akeem above or bellow.. Akeem was great, and he didn't have as much help.

Take away his Height and 300+ poind weight, and how does he rank purely talent-wise ??

Not very good.

I don't know about htat.. Shaq had a better free throw percentage than Wilt, and he played better defense too. you could make the same arguement about Wilt and he was a freakish athlete and is at the top of many peoples list of centers.

Shaq career FT .527

Wilt career FT .511

Take away his Height and 300+ poind weight, and how does he rank purely talent-wise ??

Not very good.

LOL...why even say that? One of the most asinine things I've read on here today.

Kinda like saying "Take away Gretzky's Hockey IQ, and how does he rank purely talent-wise?"

Some people are fools. He is physically gifted like no center has ever been. go back and watch the 2000 and 2001 Finals when he was hungry. Think about a guy that weighs 325 lbs who had a lightning quick spin move. He just never bothered to really work hard, this is my biggest gripe. To say he didn't have talent just misses the point. The most amazing thing to me is that with all that weight, neither of his knees ever gave out. I recall reading back when he was in his heyday other centers saying he took it easy on them because he's generally a really nice guy (and that if he wanted to he could have scored 50 every game).

Not very good.

Dude was extraordinarily agile for his size.

The overwhelming majority of 7 footers are clumsy oafs like Will Perdue or Uwe Blab.

Yeah, but Mick, that's like saying take away Nolan Ryan's fast ball and what do you have? Not very good.
LOL...why even say that? One of the most asinine things I've read on here today.

Kinda like saying "Take away Gretzky's Hockey IQ, and how does he rank purely talent-wise?"

Take away John Elway's arm, and he'd be a terrible QB.

None of those comparison's are even close to what I was saying. You missed the point.

All of those examples you guys gave involve taking away a talent, that Ryan, Gretzky, and Elway acquired themselves.

I'm talking about taking away something he was born with, or had nothing to do with aquiring himself.

All of your examples are things the guys had a huge role in aquiring.

Shaq's height and heaviness - he had nothing to do with aquiring those (meaning discipline-wise....his laziness probably had something to do with his weight)

And his height and weight are a majority of his game

None of those comparison's are even close to what I was saying.

All of those examples you guys gave involve taking away a talent.

I'm talking about taking away something he was born with, or had nothing to do with aquiring himself.

All of your examples are things the guys had a huge role in aquiring.

Shaq's height and heaviness - he had nothing to do with aquiring those (meaning discipline-wise....his laziness probably had something to do with his weight)

And his height and weight are a majority of his game

An arm is not a learned skill, it is something you are born with. I cannot throw a football 40 yards, and if i started today and worked for years, I would still not be able to. John Elway's laser-rocket arm is something he was born with, just like Shaq's enormity.

Archived