Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at John Beck:2010 Preseasn Cards & Jets

darrelgreenie

Jets game 1st the Cards game is coming

G-OVflLY7hg&

Quick thoughts on Beck from the Jets game:

o quick, light feet; has very smooth footwork in his drop backs and can set-up and get to a throwing position quickly

o can move a little bit

o has a quick throwing motion and a compact delivery but he has 3/4/side armish throwing motion (which make his release shorter which makes him throw shorter then his height)

Throws I like:

@ 1:36 only a 5-6 yard hitch Roydell Williams vs Cromartie; accurate throw into a tight window but what I liked most was the velocity, the ball got there in a hurry. It shoes he can throw hard when he needs too.

@ 2:18 another velocity throw-from the about the 25 yard line to the goaline on a rope;

this throw is all about arm strength

And yes I'm completely and totally bored without football and feeling nervous for the 1st time about wether a 16 games season will happen.

My main concerns are:

o throwing height

o inconsistent mechanics/variety of throwing platforms

o velocity to make the stick throws

He's only 6'2 and, unlike Drew Brees, Beck has a low release point

One reason why Brees is successful despite being 6' is he has a classic over the shoulder throwing motion with a high release point that makes him throw taller then his height Beck is the opposite.

Low release point, makes him shorter.

Will it be an issue? Who knows?

He's kinda like Romo sits to pee and McCoy that he can throw/release the ball from different angles and from different platforms.

But, it makes his mechanics seem inconsistent, will the ball always go where he wants?

Velocity, I see hints of it but I want to see more.

Side note: I really like T. Austin. He might be a diamond in the rough.

I know for two, the man behind this thread and myself, and I'm sure there was others; were clammering for Austin to get some looks last year, particularly from the mid-point on when it was apparent to a dead blind man the season was long lost. But sadly the stubborn ass OC had other ideas.

Hopefully this year he'll be right in the mix of what is in the main a talented, young group. I really like where we are at receiver wise going forward over the next few years.

As for Beck, even if it's just for next season, he has to be a better watch than the clown that finished last season. Sadly, I fear we'll have to suffer through that clowns ineptitude for another yet. But then given next years QB class, that may not be too bad a thing.

Hail.

I actually "bought in" to the 2010Redskins during this game. That feeling lasted until Larry Johnson ran out of bounds while they were closing out Dallas at FEDEX and damn near lost the game.

How are they going to suck me in this year?

What I saw...at 3:27 Terrence Austin had a couple steps on the defender and if there was a good pass that lead him, it could have been a TD

Oh, you mean the pass that he got hit on while he was throwing? Yeah, it's his fault for not throwing a good pass. :doh:

In my opinion he got hit right after the ball left his hands, but I guess you know best Hitman.

I think it goes either way with this disagreement. Ridiculous pressure, and I think that the positive that comes from it, whether he was hit or about to get hit, is that he threw it pretty well. Underthrow that and it's a pretty sure pick. He threw it where either it was getting to Austin (who, if he had a second to turn around, could've gotten that easily as he went corner instead of post) or nobody. I still like the throw.

And no, I have no dog in this race; I'm not excited about either quarterback.

I think it goes either way with this disagreement. Ridiculous pressure, and I think that the positive that comes from it, whether he was hit or about to get hit, is that he threw it pretty well. Underthrow that and it's a pretty sure pick. He threw it where either it was getting to Austin (who, if he had a second to turn around, could've gotten that easily as he went corner instead of post) or nobody. I still like the throw.

And no, I have no dog in this race; I'm not excited about either quarterback.

I am not saying he is bad at all. I am just saying out of all his passes that were highlighted there, I do not like that throw. Was he under heavy pressure? Yes, but I still do not like the throw, and honestly would have liked the throw better if he had thrown it out of bounds. If you cannot make the throw, throw it out of bounds to avoid the sack rather than throwing it up in the air hoping he may get it and risking a potential pick.

I pray every single night this man isn't our QB.

I wouldn't go that far. He's an unknown and I'd like to see if anything is there. But I wouldn't just hand him the job. I'd like to see them bring in true vet competition and see what happens. If beck comes out and has a great preseason then give him a shot, but make him play his way into the position.

I pray Rex isn't the starter. We know exactly what he's capable of. If we're going the stop gap route, I'd rather have Bulger. He's gotten rave reviews from members of the Ravens staff and looked pretty good last preseason.

Side note: I really like T. Austin. He might be a diamond in the rough.

He has shown nothing in his limited playing time to indicate otherwise. I like him, a lot. He was known for being a very hard worker in college. He's supposedly working hard with the lockout. I think he's going to surprise people in training camp, earn a roster spot, and actually be in the rotation.

---------- Post added May-28th-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

I know for two, the man behind this thread and myself, and I'm sure there was others; were clammering for Austin to get some looks last year, particularly from the mid-point on when it was apparent to a dead blind man the season was long lost. But sadly the stubborn ass OC had other ideas.

Hopefully this year he'll be right in the mix of what is in the main a talented, young group. I really like where we are at receiver wise going forward over the next few years.

I do as well. I feel like we'll be in the same boat as the Giants after Plax left, a lot of young talent that winds up performing. Nobody is a name now, but that should change. We also know that Shanahan has found good WR that weren't heralded coming out of college. Like Eddie Royal in Denver.

As for Beck, even if it's just for next season, he has to be a better watch than the clown that finished last season. Sadly, I fear we'll have to suffer through that clowns ineptitude for another yet. But then given next years QB class, that may not be too bad a thing.

Hail.

Next years class should dwarf this past class in terms of QB talent. I really like that we passed on an iffy QB class when the one on the horizon is shaping up to be really really good.

We also know that Shanahan has found good WR that weren't heralded coming out of college. Like Eddie Royal in Denver.

Royal was a 2nd rounder. Not really an example that supports this.

I think you should have gone with Brandon Marshall, a 4th rounder who turned out to be a (troubled) stud. ;)

In my opinion he got hit right after the ball left his hands, but I guess you know best Hitman.

He wasn't able to follow through because he was hit. The follow through is just as important as the throw itself, that's where you get the velocity. Just like when you're swinging a bat, if you stop the follow through when you hit the ball, it barely goes anywhere.

Had he been able to follow through, it would have been a more accurate throw.

I like the what they have to work with in Beck. I'm not necessarily sold on him as the starter with-out competition, but I like his feet, his quick delivery, and his accuracy. Things I want to see more of, are, his mobility, consistent ability to make deep throws, and consistent ability to drive the ball on the intermediate throws...

Archived