Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at John Beck:2010 Preseasn Cards & Jets

darrelgreenie

He wasn't able to follow through because he was hit. The follow through is just as important as the throw itself, that's where you get the velocity. Just like when you're swinging a bat, if you stop the follow through when you hit the ball, it barely goes anywhere.

Had he been able to follow through, it would have been a more accurate throw.

I agree w/ you its hard to knock the dude for not getting enough on pass when he's getting hit in the face.
I know for two, the man behind this thread and myself, and I'm sure there was others; were clammering for Austin to get some looks last year, particularly from the mid-point on when it was apparent to a dead blind man the season was long lost. But sadly the stubborn ass OC had other ideas.
I know right? Its a real headscratcher that ole gator arm Joey and Roydell the invisible WR got so much burn last year.

Forgot to post the Cards game:

B17arflJp9Y&

Some throws that stood out:

@1:13 Arm strength throw, just talking skillset or physical ability not result; He over throws the double covered WR-but he uncorks a bomb from the 15 yd line to the opposing 32 yd line about a 63 yard throw in the air

@ 2:01 Climbs up in the pocket, then rips a 20 yard side arm pass on a line to Austin

@ 4:12 Nimble feet and quick execution on the bootleg, squares his shoulders and makes a good throw on the move to Austin

@ 6:00 Good velocity and accuracy on a quick 3-step slant to Devin Thomas

@ 6:56 From the hash to the sideline (in the air from the 27 yd line to the 44) not a long throw but good velocity

@ 7:11 Good touch on fade down (L) sideline

@ 7:26 Best throw of the day I thought-From the 18 yd line quick release/3/4 motin side arm fling on a rope on target to Austin down the hash to the 48; great throw (about a 30 yard throw in the air)

@ 7:40 ??? WTF Follows up a great throw with a terrible side arm throw off balance and off target

@ 8:00 Half-playaction fires a dart to Banks on the 12 yd square in/dig route

Well that what I saw-what did you guys see

Thoughts?

We disagree. Grossman looked outstanding on bootlegs last year, and you need to keep running them-

Signed, Opposition DB's. (Collective.).

Hail.

Beck looks more fluid than Grossman, doesn't mean Grossman sucks at them or couldn't execute a bootleg. He just looks a little clunky while doing it.

John Beck reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy.

McCoy is a better runner/playmaker and uses an over the top throwing motion more often, but I think the similarities from a height/weight and playing still stand point are there.

But have quick feet and are nimble, both can throwing from different arm angles.

Both have stronger arms then they're given credit for (Beck might actually have the stronger arm of the 2).

Both are good timing and anticipation passers.

First of all, I'm new to this message board and I'm very thankful for DarrellGreenie's video posts of Beck. Awesome man, thanks!

I'm in the camp of those who thinks Shanahan believes Beck is as good or better than any QB that was available in the draft, although I wonder if Shanahan would have taken Locker had he been available. I think Shanahan wants a QB shoot-out, even if he brings in a veteran free-agent (so no need to worry about Beck earning the position). I'm going to give the coaches credit for the time they've spent watching film - Beck may well be better than anyone they could have drafted. If all I had to study was these two YouTube postings, I'd be optimistic after the first game, and pessimistic after the second.

Taking a shot with Beck (if film justifies it) may be an excellent move. There are still plenty of holes that need to be filled elsewhere, and focusing on those will be of greater value than virtually anything that could be done at QB this year. Next year may be a different story - and a better QB class in the draft, if needed (I guess I'll start praying that it won't - Beck/Grossman/Free Agent - I don't care, just stop the bleeding.)

Royal was a 2nd rounder. Not really an example that supports this.

I think you should have gone with Brandon Marshall, a 4th rounder who turned out to be a (troubled) stud. ;)

Wait until a couple of years from now when Hank, Paul, and Robinson make their mark. That will only add to Shanahan's resume. All three will make the team and make significant contributions for years to come. I have 10 draft picks out of 12 making the 53 man roster.

---------- Post added June-6th-2011 at 11:03 PM ----------

My gawd Devon Thomas sucked.

Devin Thomas and yes he did suck. He'll be out of the league in 2 yrs...Thanks Vinny.

If all I had to study was these two YouTube postings, I'd be optimistic after the first game, and pessimistic after the second.
I can't really take the credit someone over in the Warpath forum post those youtube clips, but thank anyhow.

Just out of curiosity which plays from the Cards game made you feel pessimistic?

Just out of curiosity which plays from the Cards game made you feel pessimistic?

Well, I watched it again to answer the question and now maybe "pessimistic" is strong. I wasn't focused so much on a particular pass - he just didn't appear as comfortable. It looked to me like he had pretty good protection most of the time, but when pressure came he was in "gun slinger" mode. He absolutely drilled a couple late passes to short receivers (evidence of panic mode to me) and he made a couple tosses into heavy coverage (suggesting he decided that's where he was going no matter what) - I'm not sure what he was thinking on the first deep ball into heavy coverage - went a mile over everyone anyway.

Still, I have to admit, he had more good than bad, and I give him credit for the fact that he really hadn't been a part of the team very long at that point. Really, the emphasis of my comment was that we folks watching TV and listening to sportscasters only get to see such snippets as you kindly posted (feel good one day not the next). The coaches dig in - they'll know so much more about the play design and execution than I ever will. So, I have some optimism that the coaching staff has thought this through and I'm guessing the really do like Beck as much as any draftee. I would love to see Beck turn into a star - I can't think of anything that would help us more in the long run than to resolve this issue in-house. The payoff would be big, and considering the likelyhood the 'skins aren't going to be in the big show this year anyway, it's worth a shot.

-fm

Well, I watched it again to answer the question and now maybe "pessimistic" is strong. I wasn't focused so much on a particular pass - he just didn't appear as comfortable. It looked to me like he had pretty good protection most of the time, but when pressure came he was in "gun slinger" mode. He absolutely drilled a couple late passes to short receivers (evidence of panic mode to me) and he made a couple tosses into heavy coverage (suggesting he decided that's where he was going no matter what) - I'm not sure what he was thinking on the first deep ball into heavy coverage - went a mile over everyone anyway.

Still, I have to admit, he had more good than bad, and I give him credit for the fact that he really hadn't been a part of the team very long at that point. Really, the emphasis of my comment was that we folks watching TV and listening to sportscasters only get to see such snippets as you kindly posted (feel good one day not the next). The coaches dig in - they'll know so much more about the play design and execution than I ever will. So, I have some optimism that the coaching staff has thought this through and I'm guessing the really do like Beck as much as any draftee. I would love to see Beck turn into a star - I can't think of anything that would help us more in the long run than to resolve this issue in-house. The payoff would be big, and considering the likelyhood the 'skins aren't going to be in the big show this year anyway, it's worth a shot.

-fm

I kind of see what you meen . I think if Beck does get the nod I think there is enough good in his game to give the fans hope . I like he has the swift feet to move around the field seems to see defenders better than some prospects we have seen in B&G over the years .

On the bad I worry a little about his height and his release (though he has shown he has a cannon)...and helooks small - can he really stand up to the riggers of a full NFL season....

i wonder if the pannic throws he had towards the end of the 4th - (well one at least I am pretty sure DT11 was showing he could also drop the ball and make it fly in the air like Torrain did on one of them - I cannot believe the route DT ran on that interception . I don't think I have ever seen a WR running a crossing route that stops dead just over the hash behind the MLB before - though I could be wrong because Thomas was reknown for his route running :) ) - Were a product of not being really comfortable with the team and the play book and just trying to make something happen .

The other thing that stands out to me is how Austin (18) managed to 1) not make the team (I think he went on our PS but I could be wrong) and 2) stay there long enough to be resigned ...to the full roster ... I guess he was playing against scrubs but he was a man amongst boys out there .

Oh yeah and what is it with all the WRs now having QB numbers .... ?

Still, I have to admit, he had more good than bad, and I give him credit for the fact that he really hadn't been a part of the team very long at that point. -fm

I would like to see what you're seeing so we could discuss.

But, without mention of the particular plays it hard to know which plays you're talking about in support of your opinion.

For example you mention Beck being in 'gunslinger' mode but you didn't mention which plays show this.

It sounds like you're just giving a general impression; not that there's anything wrong with general impressions.

I was hoping that you wanted to discuss the actual plays.

Cheers

Here's a little more from his BYU days. Notice what I have been saying. When he trusts his receivers he is a different QB.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 07:18 PM ----------

One of my favorite games of his stellar career was the TCU game in 06 (above video). That game he was playing on 2 sprained ankles.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=543090 Dude's a gamer

I love Austin and believe Beck and he have a nice chemistry...that's another plus for Beck.

Agreed. But as I have said before that relationship HAS to be there imo. Once he has confidence with the receivers he will lay it out there on the line for them and let them make the play for the ball. I really like Austin. I think he will be the "Johnny Harline" for John in DC.

Archived