Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barry Bonds Offers To Pay College Expenses For Bryan Stow's (Giants fan who was beaten) Children.

DM72

I am in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with Barry Bonds and think he is a stand up guy. So many people what to make guys who use steriods out to be bad guys and the truth is they were doing things that were overlooked by the MLB at the time.

I am in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with Barry Bonds and think he is a stand up guy. So many people what to make guys who use steriods out to be bad guys and the truth is they were doing things that were overlooked by the MLB at the time.

Me neither - but I was never married to him or a reporter. Also, I didn't try to get his autograph, which, it appears, Bonds was just the beginning of that type of professional athlete.

The one thing that no one can deny though, is that Bonds is a true SF Giant fan.

I am in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with Barry Bonds and think he is a stand up guy.

He was a stand up guy...

Except to his teammates.

And to the fans.

And to reporters.

And to his family.

Other than that, though 100% stand up guy.

I just hope this actually happens and isnt some Michael (from the office) type promise that goes unfulfilled.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 11:53 AM ----------

He was a stand up guy...

Except to his teammates.

And to the fans.

And to reporters.

And to his family.

haha

He was a stand up guy...

Except to his teammates.

And to the fans.

And to reporters.

And to his family.

But did you every witness it. Maybe he was just a reserved type of person and not everybody is comfortable with all attention on them. I have a hard time believing he would go out of his way to help this family if he was really that much of a douche.

Lol

Do tell

Game 6 of the NLCS, 1991. The Bucs could have clinched that night. It was Bonds' contract year, and of course, the prevailing (and correct) sentiment was that he wouldn't return to Pittsburgh in 1992.

I knew enough to know not to ask for an autograph prior to the game, unless the player shows he's clearly willing to sign (along the baseline fence or something.) But I was at the players' lot when he and Bobby Bonilla pulled in, in matching 911s.

I asked one question. "Barry, are you going to be in Pittsburgh next year?"

He looks right at me, shrugs his shoulders and says, "****, kid. I don't care." They could have clinched that night, and he didn't give a **** who he was playing for. Classy dude. Classy.

But did you every witness it. Maybe he was just a reserved type of person and not everybody is comfortable with all attention on them. I have a hard time believing he would go out of his way to help this family if he was really that much of a douche.

I remember arguing with some Giant fan about this, I told him that book Game of Shadows said all and he basically said that book was BS

Like two journalists would MAKE UP ANYTHING OR LIE ABOUT BONDS

The stories in that book which I have never read are hilarious. From him taking down barriers and his anger towards McGwire to his alleged elitist recliner, they paint the picture of a stuck-up, angry, angry man

Anyway, it's pretty well known in the sports world that he is a butt, and its' been collaborated in this thread several times. But regardless of his past issues, he has done a good deed here paying for college for those kids

Like two journalists would MAKE UP ANYTHING OR LIE ABOUT BONDS

Yeah, who would ever expect (or atleast, think) two nobody local journalists who were completely treated like **** by Bonds for multiple years to make up anything about him for the purpose of making a lot of $'s from a book. :rolleyes:

Bonds is a complete jerk to the core. He is also the best baseball player any of you have ever seen in your lifetime. The only thing he ever cared about was winning baseball games. The fans, the teammates, the press - all of them could go to hell as far as he was concerned.

Barry must have a good publicist. Between salary and endorsements the guy probably made hundreds of millions and he gets to buy some good will. Probably a good investment for him.

Except Bonds never had endorsement deals. He was too hated.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Game 6 of the NLCS, 1991. The Bucs could have clinched that night. It was Bonds' contract year, and of course, the prevailing (and correct) sentiment was that he wouldn't return to Pittsburgh in 1992.

I knew enough to know not to ask for an autograph prior to the game, unless the player shows he's clearly willing to sign (along the baseline fence or something.) But I was at the players' lot when he and Bobby Bonilla pulled in, in matching 911s.

I asked one question. "Barry, are you going to be in Pittsburgh next year?"

He looks right at me, shrugs his shoulders and says, "****, kid. I don't care." They could have clinched that night, and he didn't give a **** who he was playing for. Classy dude. Classy.

Actually, he knew who he was playing for, and it wasn't who he wanted to play for. He wanted to be an SF Giant from Day 1, just like his dad Bobby Bonds and his godfather Willie Mays. He grew up here and he wanted to come back here.

Very nice move.

Doesn't change my opinion that he's a world-class douchebag. (From personal experience.)

Yeah, great jesture by Bonds. But it doesn't change much, imo. I heard stories of him being a terrible teammate in SF. He reportedly had his own recliner and big screen tv in the locker room, and didn't want anyone near him.

And hog, I just heard something the other day on the radio that I think you might find interesting: Remember the whole Sid Bream thing? Well, this sports host said that right before Cabrera singled to drive in Bream, that Andy Van Slyke was motioning for Bonds to "come in", and that Bonds blew him off. He even stated that Bonds "flipped him" off. LOL Man, if that's true, wow. Because, as it turns out, that would have been the difference (probably) in him throwing out Bream at the plate.

It seems like a blatant attempt to gather public empathy prior to his federal trial.

Maybe this transparent move is more effective than I thought.

Actually, Bonds has done a lot of things like this before, usually under the radar without publicity. Not because he isn't a selfish jerk (he really, really is a jerk), but because he lives in a weird bubble, kind of like Michael Jackson, and specific things like this catch his eye. Even when he does something nice, he will be a jerk to anyone who asks about it. Leopards don't change their spots.

Yeah, who would ever expect (or atleast, think) two nobody local journalists who were completely treated like **** by Bonds for multiple years to make up anything about him for the purpose of making a lot of $'s from a book. :rolleyes:

Dude, you trying to defend the guy's character is comical (Giants fan or not). The guy was a world class douchebag, from all accounts. Not just a few nobody jounalists.

Yeah, great jesture by Bonds. But it doesn't change much, imo. I heard stories of him being a terrible teammate in SF. He reportedly had his own recliner and big screen tv in the locker room, and didn't want anyone near him.

And hog, I just heard something the other day on the radio that I think you might find interesting: Remember the whole Sid Bream thing? Well, this sports host said that right before Cabrera singled to drive in Bream, that Andy Van Slyke was motioning for Bonds to "come in", and that Bonds blew him off. He even stated that Bonds "flipped him" off. LOL Man, if that's true, wow. Because, as it turns out, that would have been the difference (probably) in him throwing out Bream at the plate.

If this is true, Bonds probably thought he was correct, and that Van Slyke shouldn't try to tell him what to do. Which is not unreasonable, given that Bonds was a 8 time Gold Glover who didn't have a great arm. He was a great fielder because he studied hitters and moved himself into perfect position to make the highest percentage of outs possible.

Bonds is as arrogant as the day is long, but I don't think anyone should ever question how much he wanted to win.

Archived