Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Ravens' Lewis: Crime will rise if season is lost

SC_RedskinsFan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6575570

"Do this research if we don't have a season -- watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game," Lewis told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

That's because, Lewis said, the NFL lockout affects "way more than us" -- the owners and the players.

"There's too many people that live through us, people live through us," he said. "Yeah, walk in the streets, the way I walk the streets, and I'm not talking about the people you see all the time."

When asked why he thought crime would increase if the NFL doesn't play games this year, Lewis said: "There's nothing else to do Sal."

Click link for rest of article

Are you kidding me?? Who will be behind the crimes increasing, he must mean the players cause there is nothing else for them to do! What a ****ing idiot, it's just a game. :ols:

He is not talking about the players. He is talking about the guy that sells the hot dogs, the girl that sells the beer, the maintenance crew, etc.

Or the fans - who are already committing crimes as a direct result of sports like football.

How many times have we heard of beatings and murders between fans of opposing teams.

Too many times.

Crime may actually decrease, as people mellow out and realize that football is not the epicenter of life, and worthy of bludgeoning someone to death over.

With that logic, we should free all murderers out of jail, based on good behavior.

Did Ray Lewis actually murder someone? There's a difference between covering for friends who did murder someone and actually murdering someone.

I guess a guy can never rebuild his life. This man has done nothing but good since it happened over 11 years ago, let it go people.

Sure he can rebuild his life, but people will not forget what he did just because he is good at a game. One way or another he was involved in the death of a person.

His statement about crime going up is just stupid IMO.

Well, I plan on volunteering for the SPCA every Sunday this season, because I don't want to continue condoning a league full of rapists, woman abusers, animal abusers, violent trash and spoiled brats, so I do see where he is coming from.

That said, I think I'd rather bump into the guy who sells me a T shirt in a dark alley, than a lot of the players in the league.

Sure he can rebuild his life, but people will not forget what he did just because he is good at a game. One way or another he was involved in the death of a person.

It depends if you like the guy or don't. Sean Taylor turned his life around, why can't Ray Lewis do the same?

Did Ray Lewis actually murder someone? There's a difference between covering for friends who did murder someone and actually murdering someone.

You can be charged with murder simply by association to the actual trigger-man, or knife-man.

You can be charged with murder simply by association to the actual trigger-man, or knife-man.

Being charged with murder via guilty by association and actually being a murderer is a big difference IMO.

Being charged with murder via guilty by association and actually being a murder is a big difference IMO.

I'm sure OJ Simpson will take pity on Ray Lewis. After all, OJ was acquitted of murder and that's all people associate him with. 20 years later the poor guy is still dogged by the accusation.

Being charged with murder via guilty by association and actually being a murder is a big difference IMO.

It isn't "guilty by association". It is called "Aiding and Abetting" and it is a very real crime with very real consequences...especially in the case of a murder. He was charged with murder, but they never found the suit he was wearing that night and his lawyer eventually got a deal where he testified against the other two guys and, in exchange, plead guilty to obstruction of justice...which, in a murder, would usually get you some definite time. Not a football star, though.

He seems to have turned his life around, and it is good that he did. But that doesn't change what happened and it shouldn't suddenly wipe that away from everyone's collective subconscious because he is a HOF football player. Either way, people are just making jokes. Would you really expect anything less when a guy with Ray's past comes out and talks about how there will be more crime and violence if there is no football this year? Seriously?

I'm sure OJ Simpson will take pity on Ray Lewis. After all, OJ was acquitted of murder and that's all people associate him with. 20 years later the poor guy is still dogged by the accusation.

To be fair, most everybody thinks OJ did it. I don't know if too many people actually believe Ray Lewis killed anyone.

---------- Post added May-22nd-2011 at 01:39 PM ----------

It isn't "guilty by association". It is called "Aiding and Abetting" and it is a very real crime with very real consequences...especially in the case of a murder. He was charged with murder, but they never found the suit he was wearing that night and his lawyer eventually got a deal where he testified against the other two guys and, in exchange, plead guilty to obstruction of justice...which, in a murder, would usually get you some definite time. Not a football star, though.

True.

To be fair, most everybody thinks OJ did it. I don't know if too many people actually believe Ray Lewis killed anyone.

I won't weigh in on how I feel in either situation (I don't want to hijack the thread anymore than I already have), I'm just pointing out the parallel. 2 guys accused of being involved in a murder are essentially acquitted (OJ found not guilty, Ray pleaded way down to something really minor by comparison). It's not like James Harrison, the domestic abuser, is worried about players jacking cars or selling drugs to make ends meet; or a perceived good guy like Manning saying this. I'm just chiming in with others here who think it's a tad ironic that a guy like Lewis, who may or may not have been involved in a double homicide over a decade ago, is worried about "other players" committing crimes during the lockout.

Archived