Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC - Ind. Gov. Daniels not running for president

@DCGoldPants

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43124812/ns/politics/

WASHINGTON — Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels said early Sunday that he won't run for president because of family concerns, a development that narrowed the Republican nomination field though made the wide-open race even more uncertain.

"In the end, I was able to resolve every competing consideration but one," the Republican said, disclosing his decision in a middle-of-the-night e-mail to supporters. "The interests and wishes of my family, is the most important consideration of all. If I have disappointed you, I will always be sorry."

more with the link....

I don't blame him either.

Although I'd say that hanging back for four more years will likely increase his chances. I don't see the GOP putting anyone up there to unseat Obama this time.

It'd be interesting if Romney sticks by his guns instead of backtracking away from his former health stance, because then I think we can step toward center.

But I doubt he will.

~Bang

I would also like to announce that after careful consideration, I will not seek the nomination for President of the United States. In contrast to Gov. Daniels' family, my family had actively encouraged me to run in order to get me out of the house.

Only thing I heard about Daniels was he was W.'s budget director...which would've disqualified him in my book. Don't know anything about Huntsman, but the Christian right running the primaries since '92 won't vote for a Mormon, so it's pretty much down to Pawlenty vs Obama at the end of the day.

I would like to take this time to announce that I will also not be running for President.... because I'm not old enough yet :(

I would also like to announce that I am not running for President, despite having a perfectly legitimate Kenyan birth certificate that says I am old enough.

Only thing I heard about Daniels was he was W.'s budget director...which would've disqualified him in my book. Don't know anything about Huntsman, but the Christian right running the primaries since '92 won't vote for a Mormon, so it's pretty much down to Pawlenty vs Obama at the end of the day.

Wow, If that disqualified him, I guess Obama is completely out of the question for you.

Only thing I heard about Daniels was he was W.'s budget director...which would've disqualified him in my book.

Mine, too, except that he totally redeemed himself as governor of Indiana.

To the point where you have to suspect that he was just making the best of a bad situation in W's cabinet. It was Cheney who infamously uttered that moronic "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter" crap, and if Daniels had resigned in protest, he'd likely never have had the opportunity to rescue Indiana. :2cents:

You're seriously over-estimating Pawlenty. I can't believe people consider him a front-runner. He can't even stand out in a half-hearted debate amongst second-tier candidates. Here's the most important fact about Tim Pawlenty: Nobody cares about Tim Pawlenty.

More people care about Mitt ****ing Romney, and that's a sad, sad statement. I remember having arguments back in 2007 and 2008 about why I was absolutely certain Mitt Romney wouldn't be nominated, no matter how close the primary battle ultimately was. You (not you, Riggo, the general "you") could spend hours upon hours talking to me about how Mitt was robbed because of various voting blocs that were split, and how he had a personal fortune he could dip into, and so on and so forth. Absolutely none of that mattered, because Mitt failed on a more basic level. That same level makes Mitt look like the next Ronald Reagan when compared to Tim Pawlenty. In fact, while I didn't think Mitt had a chance in 2008, I think he does now, because such a specific set of circumstances is coming together so as to make him viable as the Republican nominee in 2012, one that will be crushed by Obama.

Pawlenty won't be nominated. I'll take the field against Pawlenty, and give odds, if anyone wants to make a bet. I'll put the money into PayPal. He's not going to be the Republican candidate.

At this point, I want to learn more about Huntsman.

Edit: Apparently, Huntsman and Romney are related! :ols:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman,_Jr.

Born in Palo Alto, California, Huntsman is the son of Karen (née Haight) and billionaire businessman and philanthropist Jon Huntsman of the Huntsman Corporation. He is the grandson of LDS Church apostle David B. Haight, as well as the great-great-great-grandson of early LDS Church leader Parley P. Pratt. Huntsman is a distant cousin of politician Mitt Romney (who is also descended from Parley P. Pratt).

Archived