Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Is the John Beck era underway for Redskins?

themurf

I should point out that the Redskins did luck into that guy. They had Trent Green and let him get away. But I do see your point. It'd be nice for the team to "diamond in the rough," although I'd argue that guys like Ryan Torain, Anthony Armstrong and Brandon Banks fall into that category.

You could also throw Bryant into that category as well.

Every so often, a guy is just missed. It happened with Kurt Warner, Trent Green, even Romo sits to pee. It would be great if we finally lucked into a guy who never got his chance and matured into a very good player.

Yup, its worth the shot IMO. I know im not planning on going to the SB this year so lets see what he's got and if it doesn't wotk out we will be in line to get a good QB come next draft.

I'll tell you one thing I like about Beck so far. I remember reading him talking about his Miami days and he basically said that he sucked and that he played like a rookie. The fact that he didn't make excuses or sugar coat it or blame anyone speaks well of him. Now, if he can take that self-analysis, combine it with the work ethic we've been hearing about, and sodder on a bit of talent... well, we may not get a savior, but we'll get a guy who's going to give his best. I can live with that.

Here are a few bonus nuggets from the Twitter account of Greg Cosell, executive producer of NFL Matchup and senior producer for NFL Films for 31 years:

• Okay Redskins fans. Went back to film study notes of J. Beck senior year at BYU. Broke down 4 gms. This was after 2006 NFL season.
  • More J. Beck: Effortless mechanics, played relaxed + poised, game was in slow motion to him mentally, good touch + feel, very competitive.
  • More Beck: Low release point, became 5'11" instead of 6'2". Pocket awareness + understanding of pressure. Effective in muddied pocket.
  • More Beck: Good decision maker, a rhythm + flow to his game. Biggest issues on tape wefre arm strength (a real concern) + low release point.
  • More Beck: When I studied him I saw similarities to Brees (remember this was after 2006 season). Brees got chance to develop, Beck didn't.

So judging by what Cosell saw from Beck at BYU, you begin to see why some folks are a little excited.

This is all about building up John Beck's pre-draft confidence he had before Miami selected him in the 2nd round. I get the impression Shanahan is willing to give Beck the keys to the castle and see if this pre-hype of confidence building can work.

If you go back and look at his BYU highlights, you will see a very confident guy that knew how to win. I don't think most fans are declaring Beck the savior or the second coming of Warner but most fans are willing to give John a chance to prove the doubters wrong.

Gregg Cosell was almost fair in his review of Beck except his point about John's arm strength, Cosell was wrong. Look at the following you tube highlight and you tell me if Beck, in deed has a strong arm.

I am hoping that Beck can get his game's confidence back and show us an above average QB on Sundays in B&G.

I don't pretend to be able to judge a QB's intangibles. And, the intangibles are very important. But, I think I'm a pretty good judge of the tangibles. Just based on what can be seen, the mechanics, skillset, etc., there's no reason that Beck can't run Shanahan's offense very well, IMO.
In sentence one you say you don't pretend to judge intangibles. In sentence three you judge intangibles. You were meant to be a Redskins fan.

Mechanics and skillset ARE tangibles. They can be quantified. You can look at film and evaluate his 3-step drop, throwing movements, etc. Likewise, for example, you can set up targets on the field and conduct a test to measure his accuracy, arm strength, etc.

Intangibles relate to things like intelligence, self-confidence, responsibility, leadership, instincts, motivation, etc. Those things are much harder or impossible to quantify.

All said, I still strongly suspect that the plan is to sign Rex and much of what Shanny is doing is making us comfortable with the idea of Beck as a number 2. Before this season, no one would have even been happy with the guy as our back up.

Gregg Cosell was almost fair in his review of Beck except his point about John's arm strength, Cosell was wrong. Look at the following you tube highlight and you tell me if Beck, in deed has a strong arm.

I am hoping that Beck can get his game's confidence back and show us an above average QB on Sundays in B&G.

That clip doesnt prove much to me. He stepped up and gathered himself, putting everything into a throw and lofted a hail mary. So? Lets see him throw a 20 yd out route on a rope. He doesnt have a strong arm, but that doesnt mean he cant be a good QB IMO.

Also, I added a link at the bottom of the column to a Sun Sentinel article from 2008. You might want to check it out. Yet another reason to be skeptical of Beck having what it takes to be "the man."

Actually that's a reason to be skeptical about Beck being run out of Miami. Quarterbacks coach David "3 Minute Buzzer" Lee has never developed a single NFL quarterback, and recently went back to college coaching. The "buzz" in Miami is that Chad Henne was regressing under Lee.

This is like Ron Turner handling Rex Grossman in Chicago. All bets are off due to the lens of the coaching, which has been proven to be substandard if not entirely distorted.

Can Beck or Grossman be effective NFL starting QBs? I don't know, but I do know that I would not take the word of David Lee or Ron Turner, and I would tend to ignore the QB performances during their coaching tenures.

That clip doesnt prove much to me. He stepped up and gathered himself, putting everything into a throw and lofted a hail mary. So? Lets see him throw a 20 yd out route on a rope. He doesnt have a strong arm, but that doesnt mean he cant be a good QB IMO.

Throwing the ball roughly 70 yards from the point of executing the pass is not a strong arm? It doesn't matter if he stepped up or stayed in the pocket, he threw the ball roughly 70 yards. It certainly gives me confidence that he can throw a 20 yard out route pattern on a rope.

Everything hinges on when training camp starts for this year. Anyone new that might be brought in be it rookie or veteran is going to be behind the curve to start game one of the season much more so then a normal season. With that in mind Beck and Grossman give us the best chance this year over anyone else we could bring in. If they are letting Rex walk then it's Becks job. No sense in bringing in a FA quarterback if we can't give him a chance to learn the playbook and get timing down with the receivers.

I just can't see the offense as a whole being excited about Beck as a starter. He'll be 30 with almost no real experience playing through the season. It's fine to be optimistic, but, I also like to be realistic. I never expected much out of this season anyway... with the schedule we have, if Beck is out starter.. I expect much less. 4-12 - 6-10 at best. It's ok tho, year 3 should start looking up for us.

If you go back and look at his BYU highlights, you will see a very confident guy that knew how to win. I don't think most fans are declaring Beck the savior or the second coming of Warner but most fans are willing to give John a chance to prove the doubters wrong.

I agree, and that's where I think the Homer article is a bit unfair. It may be a bit hyperbole on the part of one or two fans, but I have not seen any posts where people are declaring that he's going to come out and start throwing for 300yards/3tds a game for us.

The John Beck that we currently have is different than the one that started in Miami in 2007. He has had four years of being tutored and seasoned. There's no reason to believe he hasn't made some sort of stride in his game. So therefore, the John Beck we have IS an unknown. Is he going to be the same crappy QB he was in Miami? Or will he show that he has made stride, and will play significantly better?

Plus, I hate to pull this, but keep in mind that the Miami team he played on was one of the very worst in football. The only thing that was glaring about him was that he fumbled the ball 7 times in the 5 games he played in. That is a major concern to me, and I assume he has worked on this. However, it's not like the other 2 QBs who played on that same team exactly lit the world on fire either.

The bottom line is that Shanahan does know QBs, and knows them probably better than most coaches in the league. There is a reason he extended Beck a 3 year deal last season, he obviously likes SOMETHING he sees. I'm not expecting the next Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, or Trent Green by any means. I have to admit though, it is intriguing and I'm not just throwing in the towel on the season either.

With Kyle seemingly at the helm of the offense, i think having a QB that bonds with Kyle, doing exactly what he wants, can trump getting a big name in here. Bringing in a proven QB, presumably with an expected ego, older than the OC, is a recipe for failure. As we learned last year. The dual Shanahan combined ego may dictate bringing in an journeymen to succeed. So, in Beck we trust. I am still not sold on Shanahan - too many inconsistencies last year that give me a lack of faith in the braintrust. Starting with moving picks for McNabb and then reinventing the defense. Having his kid running the offense may do more harm than good. We cant or wont ever fire him.

Quick note for those who might be interested: LaVar & Dukes have asked me to come on 106.7 The Fan today around 4 p.m. to talk about John Beck.

They're going to have to start paying you as a consultant pretty soon. Congrats on the airtime.

I think bringing his preseason stats into the conversation is a bit misleading, as he signed on August 2nd. He was freshly signed and thrown into the preseason fire.

I wouldn't use the "thrown into the fire" comments loosely considering the level of competition Beck was facing in those games. I think the fact that most of those defenders are third stringers or out the league negates that whole idea. If he was a starting caliber QB, he should have looked better against those players. The level of competition he would face as a starter would be a lot tougher.

I wouldn't use the "thrown into the fire" comments loosely considering the level of competition Beck was facing in those games. I think the fact that most of those defenders are third stringers or out the league negates that whole idea. If he was a starting caliber QB, he should have looked better against those players. The level of competition he would face as a starter would be a lot tougher.

Except that he'd been in camp and had access to the Redskins playbook for all of two days before he was sent out to play in a preseason game.

I love that the search feature works now:

John Beck's arm strength was tested at 61.1

He recorded the 2nd highest velocity of any quarterback at the 2007 combine, whistling the pigskin at 61.1 miles per hour.

http://www.craveonline.com/sports/article/brigham-youngs-john-beck-63171

From last training camp:

"The highlight of practice," he mused. "Hmmm. John Beck was rolling to his left and had a hell of a pass to Brandon Banks. He looks like he's getting pretty comfortable in the offense in the short couple days that he's been here. We've been saying that he does have a live arm, but it's a whole 'nother quarterback so we've gotta get used to him throwing the ball too, and work on it from there."
I asked Armstrong on another occasion about Beck and according to Armstrong Beck does indeed have a strong arm.

Archived