Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Is the John Beck era underway for Redskins?

themurf

beck051811.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Repeat after me – John Beck is not a savior.

He’s not a gift from the football gods. He’s not the answer to all your hopes and dreams. At best, he’s probably nothing more than an average NFL quarterback.

Which is why it’s baffling to see some fans of the Washington Redskins suddenly acting as if this guy is the second coming of Kurt Warner or something.

The surprising buzz surrounding Beck these days, of course, can only be attributed to head coach Mike Shanahan, who passed on taking a rookie quarterback in the 2011 NFL draft and then followed that up by hyping up the otherwise forgotten signal caller.

“Let me say, when John Beck did come out [of college], I had him rated as the top quarterback coming out that year, and I didn’t even think it was close,” said Shanahan. “I had a lot of confidence in John Beck when he came out in 2007. I evaluate the quarterbacks every year, and I do have confidence in John Beck. He was by far my No. 1 guy. I think the world of him.”

While that sounds all great and good, the truth is the quarterbacks selected ahead of Beck in ’07 were JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn and Kevin Kolb. Two of those guys are safely labeled as busts, while Kolb will likely be playing elsewhere next season after Philadelphia decided he’s not their quarterback of the future.

So, it’s not like we’re talking about the 2004 quarterback class of Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Schaub. Shanahan is simply saying he thought more of Beck than a 300 lb. quarterback who ate himself out of the league.

Okay. Got it.

And yet, ‘Skins fans are now trying to talk themselves into believing that Beck is miraculously going to be able to achieve what Donovan McNabb, Jason Campbell and countless others before them failed to do – make the Redskins relevant again for on-the-field reasons.

Give Shanahan credit though – he’s really doing his best to make Beck seem like a legit option.

“I evaluated him throughout his pro career and collegiate career, so I know him quite well,” Shanahan said. “And when you see a guy practice every day, whether it’s your system or against the defense, surely you can see his strengths and his weaknesses. As I mentioned, I told you what I thought about him in college, and he has not disappointed me since he’s been here.”

This brings me to an interesting point. Shanahan’s stance is that Beck has shown him enough in a season’s worth of practices to lead the two-time Super Bowl winning coach to think the guy at least warrants consideration for the starting job.

Which prompted me to ask a handful of Redskins players in the last few days to basically ask the following question – have you ever seen anything from John Beck on the practice field to lead you to believe he can be an above-average starting quarterback in the NFL?

I promised each of them that I’d leave their name out of it; I simply wanted to know from someone closer to the situation if they honestly believed this guy could be the next face of the franchise. Sadly, not one of the players I spoke with could come up with a single play Beck made last season that stood out.

Which is exactly how I feel about the guy. I don’t have an issue with him. I certainly don’t hate the guy. I’ve just never seen anything from him that suggests ‘Skins fans should rush out and order his jersey.

The last time we saw the guy in live action, Beck was alternating series with the already-forgotten Richard Bartel in meaningless preseason action. And since most fans have tried to wipe last season from their memory, I’ll remind you that neither man exactly rose to the occasion.

In fact, if you add up Beck’s numbers for the three preseason games he completed 20 of 39 passes for 235 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. That’s good enough to earn a 59.2 quarterback rating, although a 59.2 and the word “good” should never appear in the same sentence.

Click here for the full article.

I think bringing his preseason stats into the conversation is a bit misleading, as he signed on August 2nd. He was freshly signed and thrown into the preseason fire.

That said, I think your overall point is accurate. He's not a savior, and the buzz about him starting is a bit odd. All of that said, one can always hope that he does well, and truth be told, with an abbreviated offseason (or no offseason), signing a free agent to learn the entire offense and start isn't realistic.

Other than Grossman, Beck is our best option to start the season at quarterback. If he shines, then good. We have a good QB. If he doesn't, as most expect, then our backup vet/rookies would have had at least some kind of time to learn the playbook.

Ideal person to go into the season with as QB? Probably not.

Best option? I'd say so.

Good piece, though. Intriguing how the players couldn't think of any stand out moments.

I think bringing his preseason stats into the conversation is a bit misleading, as he signed on August 2nd. He was freshly signed and thrown into the preseason fire.

That said, I think your overall point is accurate. He's not a savior, and the buzz about him starting is a bit odd. All of that said, one can always hope that he does well, and truth be told, with an abbreviated offseason (or no offseason), signing a free agent to learn the entire offense and start isn't realistic.

Other than Grossman, Beck is our best option to start the season at quarterback. If he shines, then good. We have a good QB. If he doesn't, as most expect, then our backup vet/rookies would have had at least some kind of time to learn the playbook.

Ideal person to go into the season with as QB? Probably not.

Best option? I'd say so.

Good piece, though. Intriguing how the players couldn't think of any stand out moments.

Yeah, I even admitted in the write-up that three preseason games isn't much of a sample size, but my larger point was every time this guy takes the field, he fails to wow anyone. Whether we're talking about five games in '07, three meaningless preseason games or a year's worth of practice no one other than Mike Shanahan seems to see anything remotely special about Beck.

Also, I added a link at the bottom of the column to a Sun Sentinel article from 2008. You might want to check it out. Yet another reason to be skeptical of Beck having what it takes to be "the man."

I will check that link out... However, it's not needed to convince me. I don't think he has what it takes to be the man. But again, I still think he's the best option due to our circumstances.

And I really hope I'm wrong about him not having what it takes, because I like what I hear from him. But man, he has been extremely pedestrian.

I don't pretend to be able to judge a QB's intangibles. And, the intangibles are very important. But, I think I'm a pretty good judge of the tangibles. Just based on what can be seen, the mechanics, skillset, etc., there's no reason that Beck can't run Shanahan's offense very well, IMO.

Problem is that there aren't any FA QBs good enough to properly learn the offense and gel with the WRs long enough to make an impact. The lockout is obviously screwing alot of things up right now....Which is why i do agree that its a priority that we re-sign Grossman. You must have some sort of competition @ QB btwn guys who already know the offense.

I don't pretend to be able to judge a QB's intangibles. And, the intangibles are very important. But, I think I'm a pretty good judge of the tangibles. Just based on what can be seen, the mechanics, skillset, etc., there's no reason that Beck can't run Shanahan's offense very well, IMO.

In sentence one you say you don't pretend to judge intangibles. In sentence three you judge intangibles. You were meant to be a Redskins fan.

To be honest, this whole John Beck thing is amusing to watch. By the time the lockout is over, he could emerge as the biggest winner of this whole thing in all of the NFL. This whole conversation would have never happened if the lockout wasn't ongoing, so the talk of Beck has kept on festering and festering since the draft.

Is he going to be a savior? Probably not, let's be real about that.

But would it be the best story in the NFL in recent memory if he works out? Absolutely, and certainly would be the best thing to happen to the Redskins in quite some time. I think some people are more rooting for a story like that and letting that hope blind them to Beck's actual abilities.

Time will tell if the current Beck debate is the beginning of something special or simply pointless lockout fodder.

But for now, it's all Redskins fans and media have to talk about until June 3rd arrives.

Good work, Murf.

To be honest, this whole John Beck thing is amusing to watch. By the time the lockout is over, he could emerge as the biggest winner of this whole thing in all of the NFL. This whole conversation would have never happened if the lockout wasn't ongoing, so the talk of Beck has kept on festering and festering since the draft.

Is he going to be a savior? Probably not, let's be real about that.

But would it be the best story in the NFL in recent memory if he works out? Absolutely, and certainly would be the best thing to happen to the Redskins in quite some time. I think some people are more rooting for a story like that and letting that hope blind them to Beck's actual abilities.

Time will tell if the current Beck debate is the beginning of something special or simply pointless lockout fodder.

But for now, it's all Redskins fans and media have to talk about until June 3rd arrives.

Good work, Murf.

This is an excellent take. It's more or less what I was trying to drive at, but failed to relate in one of my previous posts. You expressed it quite well (much better than I did!) and I'm in 100% agreement!

Problem is that there aren't any FA QBs good enough to properly learn the offense and gel with the WRs long enough to make an impact. The lockout is obviously screwing alot of things up right now....Which is why i do agree that its a priority that we re-sign Grossman. You must have some sort of competition @ QB btwn guys who already know the offense.

We're on the same page. This offseason is definitely jacked up because of the lockout and a team like the Redskins that is trying to bring in a lot of fresh, new faces is going to be hit harder than a veteran team with most of the pieces already in place. Which is why I'd be happy if the team brought back Rex Grossman to run the offense and re-signed Santana Moss and Jammal Brown as well. Rex isn't great, but he knows the offense. If Beck can beat him for the starting job, then fine. But I just don't really see that happening and hope folks aren't foolish enough to count on that being the case.

Problem is that there aren't any FA QBs good enough to properly learn the offense and gel with the WRs long enough to make an impact...
Patrick Ramsey. When last seen, he showed up in great shape in the Saints camp. He had only three weeks to prepare for the preseason, but he played Chase Daniel to a dead heat. Both played very well. Payton kept the younger guy.

Patrick has learned to throw the fade. Who would have guessed? I saw him throw four of them right on the money with great touch. He also knows the Shanahan scheme.

I have a lot of ego invested in Patrick. I'd like to see him back here.

But would it be the best story in the NFL in recent memory if he works out? Absolutely, and certainly would be the best thing to happen to the Redskins in quite some time.

...Which is why i'm actually rooting for him. But I just find it hard to be optimistic right now.....Hopefully he makes a believer out of me.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 08:41 AM ----------

Patrick Ramsey. When last seen, he showed up in great shape in the Saints camp. He had only three weeks to prepare for the preseason, but he played Chase Daniel to a dead heat. Both played very well. Payton kept the younger guy.

Patrick has learned to throw the fade. Who would have guessed? I saw him throw four of them right on the money with great touch. He also knows the Shanahan scheme.

Patrick Ramsey to battle John Beck? ummmm, how about we re-sign Grossman and sign a rookie FA QB as a 3rd stringer?

Every so often, a guy is just missed. It happened with Kurt Warner, Trent Green, even Romo sits to pee. It would be great if we finally lucked into a guy who never got his chance and matured into a very good player.

I'm praying this is the case.

Every so often, a guy is just missed. It happened with Kurt Warner, Trent Green, even Romo sits to pee. It would be great if we finally lucked into a guy who never got his chance and matured into a very good player.

I should point out that the Redskins did luck into that guy. They had Trent Green and let him get away. But I do see your point. It'd be nice for the team to "diamond in the rough," although I'd argue that guys like Ryan Torain, Anthony Armstrong and Brandon Banks fall into that category.

I should point out that the Redskins did luck into that guy. They had Trent Green and let him get away. But I do see your point. It'd be nice for the team to "diamond in the rough," although I'd argue that guys like Ryan Torain, Anthony Armstrong and Brandon Banks fall into that category.

Not to hijack the thread, but but letting Trent get away wasn't an organizational decision. It was legal. At the time when they had to sign a contract, the team had no owner. Norv and Casserly wanted to re-sign him, but since the team was in transition at the time between the Cooke estate and an owner yet to be selected, they couldn't do squat, if my memory serves. Then, once Snyder finally was confirmed as owner, they traded for Brad Johnson. Trent, meanwhile, blew out his knee after going 8-8 in the pre-season with St. Louis, ushering in the Kurt Warner (who?) era, then going to KC to finally start consistently for several years.

The PS: is that Brad Johnson was benched in favor of Jeff "I can throw the ball really hard and long" George, Norv was fired, Brad was cut, went to TB, and won a SB. Green ended up with a solid career, and Kurt Warner is a border line HoFer. The franchise that really got screwed in all of this was the 'Skins.

Onto Beck: He might/might not be the savior. Only time will tell. But I think there's even money he starts week 1 because:

1. McNabb won't be around, that relationship is dead.

2. a FA QB isn't going to have the opportunity of mini-camps or possibly even a full training camp to learn a new system.

3. We've seen the Grossman files. I have to believe that Shannahan and Shannahan know what they have in Grossman. And it is what it is. Average to below average, and very inconsistent QB.

So that leaves the only real choice as Beck. If this is a re-building year, and I think it definitely is, especially with all the youngsters at WR, RB, and on the defense, then put in the guy we haven't seen yet and see what he can do. If you hit jackpot, great. If not, then you're really no worse off than you were before, and possibly with a better draft position to go after a young QB of the future. AND you have gotten your youngsters a year in the system. So your new QB should have the luxury of his supporting cast already knowing what they are supposed to do. Instead of them all learning together.

No thanks.

Beck isn't our savior, but, unfortunately he looks to be our starter =\ I don't understand why we apparently won't be re-signing Rex. It makes no sense to me.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 02:14 PM ----------

I should make this my sig

If John Beck starts for us in 2011, Andrew Luck starts for us in 2012.

I'll wait for Mr. beck to prove me wrong

I doubt it lol. We'll stink, as usual... but we'll win just enough to miss out on a chance for Luck. =\

I agree. Anthony Armstrong seems to be an amaing find in that respect. A 27 year old rookie who never really got a chance, but really played well and earned a position.

I think if the ownership mess wasn't going on Trent might have become that story for us and what a difference that could have made. Sadly, he wasn't our diamond in the ruff, but someone else's treasure.

Not to hijack the thread, but but letting Trent get away wasn't an organizational decision. It was legal. At the time when they had to sign a contract, the team had no owner. Norv and Casserly wanted to re-sign him, but since the team was in transition at the time between the Cooke estate and an owner yet to be selected, they couldn't do squat, if my memory serves. Then, once Snyder finally was confirmed as owner, they traded for Brad Johnson. Trent, meanwhile, blew out his knee after going 8-8 in the pre-season with St. Louis, ushering in the Kurt Warner (who?) era, then going to KC to finally start consistently for several years.

The PS: is that Brad Johnson was benched in favor of Jeff "I can throw the ball really hard and long" George, Norv was fired, Brad was cut, went to TB, and won a SB. Green ended up with a solid career, and Kurt Warner is a border line HoFer. The franchise that really got screwed in all of this was the 'Skins.

Onto Beck: He might/might not be the savior. Only time will tell. But I think there's even money he starts week 1 because:

1. McNabb won't be around, that relationship is dead.

2. a FA QB isn't going to have the opportunity of mini-camps or possibly even a full training camp to learn a new system.

3. We've seen the Grossman files. I have to believe that Shannahan and Shannahan know what they have in Grossman. And it is what it is. Average to below average, and very inconsistent QB.

So that leaves the only real choice as Beck. If this is a re-building year, and I think it definitely is, especially with all the youngsters at WR, RB, and on the defense, then put in the guy we haven't seen yet and see what he can do. If you hit jackpot, great. If not, then you're really no worse off than you were before, and possibly with a better draft position to go after a young QB of the future. AND you have gotten your youngsters a year in the system. So your new QB should have the luxury of his supporting cast already knowing what they are supposed to do. Instead of them all learning together.

Great points on how Trent Green got away. I forgot about all the drama engulfing the franchise at that time. Who knew it was a sign of things to come for the next decade or so?

Thanks for sharing.

I don't think anyone is touting him as our savior. Some of us however would rather see him get a chance than to see another retread come through here. He was a second round pick a few years ago and never really had a legitimate opportunity to be an NFL starter. He was a rookie thrown into the middle (week 11 I think) of a 1-15 Dolphins season. He was a talented QB in college and has held the clipboard under the Shanahans. Maybe he'll come out and do well. As for what he did in practice, he was third string. He probably didn't have many reps with any starters.

Best case scenario, he becomes a legitimate QB for the next 4-6 years. Worst case scenario, we go 3-13. If the worst case scenario happens, the good news is we'll be in position to draft a top QB next year.

I think most of us are just going to pull for Beck and hope for the best.

Shanahan has said he has a plan for the QB position- he just hasnt revealed it yet.

I am thinking all his praise for Beck is mearly a smoke screen. I truely believe he has some kind of trade/ or FA pick up in

mind, and he touts Beck as our QB just to keep things unsettled.

If his plan is Beck, then I wish him all the best, but sadly will lower my expectations for the season.

Here are a few bonus nuggets from the Twitter account of Greg Cosell, executive producer of NFL Matchup and senior producer for NFL Films for 31 years:

• Okay Redskins fans. Went back to film study notes of J. Beck senior year at BYU. Broke down 4 gms. This was after 2006 NFL season.
  • More J. Beck: Effortless mechanics, played relaxed + poised, game was in slow motion to him mentally, good touch + feel, very competitive.
  • More Beck: Low release point, became 5'11" instead of 6'2". Pocket awareness + understanding of pressure. Effective in muddied pocket.
  • More Beck: Good decision maker, a rhythm + flow to his game. Biggest issues on tape wefre arm strength (a real concern) + low release point.
  • More Beck: When I studied him I saw similarities to Brees (remember this was after 2006 season). Brees got chance to develop, Beck didn't.

So judging by what Cosell saw from Beck at BYU, you begin to see why some folks are a little excited.

Archived