Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFA - Mike Shanahan's Ego Has the Washington Redskins Set Up to Fall Face First

SWFLSkins

I am starting to be skeptical about having Kyle Shanahan in the coaching mix. Players know why he is here. Fans know. We probably cannot bring in another vet QB and expect success. McNabb is not a team cancer type, and he got benched. Someone didn't like him, probably Kyle. So they tried to change him. Fail. Lets bench him! All for picks.

We made that win now move for Nubb and our RT, yet made the defense re-invent the wheel at the same time. Without bringing in proven 3-4 guys. We let the Haynesworth drama last 9 months! It appears we started a rebuild of sorts, getting picks. But we didn't get a QB, and drafted a 4-3 stud at 16. Its a risk to transition him. 3rd rounder, who cares. This is our first. He will be stiff in coverage, like Orakpo, like Carter, like Lorenzo, like all our 4-3 lineman we converted. Book it. This is our braintrust.

If the two shanahans cant even get on the same page regarding a proven QB, or decide if we are in win now mode, I tend to doubt what else they can colloborate on. Make no mistake, Mike has tied to his fate to his son, and his son is pretty much a noob. He won't fire Kyle. Great. Its the QB's fault dad. I know son, I know. He is set up to fall on his face.

:doh:

Don't know if this has been said yet anywhere on ES... but starting Beck could be a win-win-win situation for the Skins.

1) If Beck plays and sucks, it sets us up next year to have a better shot at landing Andrew Luck - WIN

2) If Beck plays and is just alright.. better than Rex/Donovan but not great... it keeps the rest of the league guessing whether Shanny will stick with him for the following year or look to replace him, helping in the draft and such. Presents options. - WIN

3) If Beck plays and is pretty damn good... well.. we obviously know why that is a win - WIN

The only issue i've had with Shanahan was with giving up the draft picks for McNabb. But, even he said that it was a failed experiment. When you look at the organization in its full context, it would be foolhardy to believe that a new coach can change the entire culture of a franchise in one year. Last year we were limited in draft picks, Resticted FA limited our ability to supplement our roster. So basically Shanny was asked to make Chicked Salad out of Chicken ****. Personally I'm going to give Shanny at about 3 seasons before I call him a success or a failure. Heck we even gave that numbskull Zorn 2 years.

Shanny is on the hot the seat. Snyder is our owner after all. IF the Skins finish worse this season, there's a chance Danny will declare the Shanny era a failed experienment and go after the next person who he is lusting after.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 06:07 PM ----------

After a grand total of ONE year on the job? REALLY??

For all those crying about one year. I give you one year coach Marty Shottenhiemer. Anything is possible with Dan Snyder.

I love Joe Gibbs. We were searching for our identity through his years as well. We've been looking since about 1992.

I agree completely. The only year it felt like a real team with hope was the 05 season. Other than that, the team was always in turmoil with lots of turnover.

Can we give Shanahan another year or two before we write him off? I think we had a decent draft given the dearth of picks we had coming into it.

I agree completely. The only year it felt like a real team with hope was the 05 season. Other than that, the team was always in turmoil with lots of turnover.

Can we give Shanahan another year or two before we write him off? I think we had a decent draft given the dearth of picks we had coming into it.

Ya and how did he set us up for the future again that year/stint as HC? Traded a 2nd rd pick for Duckett after already trading a 2nd and a shutdown corner for Portis, traded a 2nd for Jason Taylor, traded up picks for Jason Campbell, completely ignored depth/aging o-line and etc..

Is this really what you miss?

Who cares what this guy says? What makes him an expert on how to build a team or what plan is the best to do anything football? Has he ever done that? No he is just another reporter that bashes the Redskins and their choices because it has been easy. When teams aren't getting things right and the decisions that are made are easily criticized by these guys. No one can change things in one year all at once. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but all this is just pure speculation with no shred of evidence that makes anything said here true or factual. It is just due to the lockout and no one has anything better to do except bash this team, the players, the coaches and the organization.

Ive been saying since day one that Shanny's ego is his weakness and will be his downfall. I know most dont agree but its because you dont want it to be true, just like so many didnt want to believe that Zorn was an idiot that was over his head. But anyone who can look at whats gone down in just 1 season can see where this is going.

I hope he turns the franchise around and signs alot of good free agents to go along with our draft picks, but even if he does get good players his ego problem still remains the same. I hope im wrong but I just dont have much faith in him. He has done nothing to earn my trust and faith.

We'll see how it goes. I hope he does a good job and when he retires he hands the head coaching job to Kyle Shannahan. But hoping doesnt mean it will happen.

Anybody who would pass judgment on Mike Shanahan's "tenure" (or anyone's tenure for that matter) after just one full season, is to be blunt a complete dumbass.

The fact of the matter is we are all just going to have to wait and see how things shake out over the long-term. Long-term being the next 4 to 5 years. Judging his overall success or failure before that is an intellectual waste of time. Upon Allen and Shanahan's arrival, this team was in complete and utter disarray. The inmates were running the asylum. No direction, no talent...no hope.

This town is not used to being patient, but we are going to have to learn to be. To use an old cliche "Rome was not built in a day." The team and organization are showing signs of life. When that will translate to more wins than losses is anyone's guess. My guess is 2012.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 08:20 PM ----------

and just so I'm clear. People with the track record Allen and Shanahan have deserve our patience. They are proven winners.

The only questionable decision I think Shanahan made was trading for McNabb. He himself has more or less admitted this was a bad move. Once free agency starts, no doubt that mistake will be corrected.

For all those crying "Marty Shottenheimer", I give you Jim Zorn.

Some of you need to get out of 2002 and join us in the present.

The past gives one insight. Dan Snyder is the owner and just as he quickly fell in love with Shanny, he can fall quickly out of love with him after another season. Shanny botched year 1.

The past gives one insight. Dan Snyder is the owner and just as he quickly fell in love with Shanny, he can fall quickly out of love with him after another season. Shanny botched year 1.

2008 is the past as well. The problem, though, is that some on here only want to revisit past seasons that validate their worst fears and opinions about Snyder. The idea that Zorn and Shanahan would last the same amount of time due only to some perceived impatience by Snyder is laughable.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 06:11 PM ----------

9-7 and being in the wild card race.

And what exactly made you feel that should have been seen as a realistic possibility? What made you think a 4-12 team with a dearth of talent going against a much, much tougher schedule would add 5 more wins to their total? You must have thought VERY highly of Shanahan ;)...

If we had gone 9-7 we would've still missed out on the playoffs and had less draft picks. I don't think that would have been an ideal scenario.

Give Shanny & Allen some time. They inherited a roster virtually devoid of talent a year ago. This draft may not have found us our QB of the future, but it did do a lot to build depth on defense and at the skill positions. Our pass rush should be MUCH improved next year with Orakpo and Kerrigan at the OLB spots and Jenkins (hopefully) wreaking havoc up front as a DE. Opposing OL's won't be able to double Rak every play and throw the kitchen sink at him- they will have to account for Kerrigan as well.

As for offense- Before the draft, our WR corp was arguably the worst in the NFL, now it doesn't look so shabby if Moss returns with Hankerson, Armstrong, and the rest. I think the 1-2 punch of Torain and Helu can be very effective, and it will be interesting to see who wins that third RB spot on the roster. I like Royster a lot, but I wasn't unimpressed by Keiland Williams last year either. Like many people, I wish we had addressed the OL more in the draft this year. Right now, we've got Trent at LT and that's about it. I liked what I saw from Licht and think he can be a good interior lineman in our scheme. Rabach is obviously a weak link, not sure if Will Montgomery gives us much besides backup depth. If the insiders here are to believed, we may be signing RT Ryan Harris and OG Davin Joseph in free agency. If so, that would obviously shore up the line to some extent. I'm curious as to how the development of Capers and Erik Cook is coming along though.

QB is obviously the million dollar question right now. Obviously it doesnt look like #5 will be back. I don't know whether we will pursue a QB in free agency or not...and neither does anyone else here on ES I dont think. I personally dont believe the hype about Beck- if Shanny was so enamored with him, why didn't he get any snaps at the end of last season? anyone? Is this a post draft Shanny smoke screen? If we go 3-13 and are in contention to get Andrew Luck, Landry Jones or Matt Barkley, frankly, I'd be more than okay with that. Worstr case scenario for us could be another 6-10 season in 2011 where the QB situation is still a mess and we're too far back to make a move for one of the elite QBs in this class.

2008 is the past as well. The problem, though, is that some on here only want to revisit past seasons that validate their worst fears and opinions about Snyder. The idea that Zorn and Shanahan would last the same amount of time due only to some perceived impatience by Snyder is laughable.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 06:11 PM ----------

And what exactly made you feel that should have been seen as a realistic possibility? What made you think a 4-12 team with a dearth of talent going against a much, much tougher schedule would add 5 more wins to their total? You must have thought VERY highly of Shanahan ;)...

I thought Mcnabb would've made the difference. As for my feeling that Snyder could revert to his old ways, yes I do think he can. We thought he changed with Gibbs but he didn't.

I thought Mcnabb would've made the difference. As for my feeling that Snyder could revert to his old ways, yes I do think he can. We thought he changed with Gibbs but he didn't.

So you were thinking Campbell was the thing holding this team back in 2009?

And Snyder replaced Vinny...in mid-season. He also hired a bonafide GM for the first time in his ownership of the team. Can you honestly tell yourself that the 2002-version of Snyder would have done either of these things?

So you were thinking Campbell was the thing holding this team back in 2009?

And Snyder replaced Vinny...in mid-season. He also hired a bonafide GM for the first time in his ownership of the team. Can you honestly tell yourself that the 2002-version of Snyder would have done either of these things?

:silly: Don't forget that it took fans yelling at Snyder and saying not so nice things about him and holding signs up at Fed ex field telling him to fire Vinny and hire a real GM for it to happen. A total revolt against his old ways.

The fans should hold signs up again, telling Snyder to be patient stick with the plan.

However I'm afraid Dan is to worried about making $$$$$$ money than sticking with a rebuild plan but, hey Dan you do realize that you can make your own superstars through thr draft instead of buying them right?:D

9-7 and being in the wild card race.

I respect that you come right out and say it. There was a point last season, when I thought that outcome was possible as well. Heck, anything is possible. A couple of things go a bit better for us, the ball bounces this way or that, a couple of assignments aren't missed, a couple big plays are made...and BOOM we end up 9-7 and in the hunt for a wild card. :)

Don't get me wrong. I will always be dissapointed when the Redskins don't do well. This year, I'm sure I'll be upset after the losses that will undoubtedly come.

I will try to stay realistic though, and remember that this is a work in progress. Overall, I think Shanahan and Allen are doing a great job "building" the team. The biggest mistake we could make right now is to set expectations on wins and losses.

Edit: There will be a time when the success of Shanahan and Allen will have to be interpreted through the win/loss column. The bottom line as it were. We are at least a year away from that time though.

I respect that you come right out and say it. There was a point last season, when I thought that outcome was possible as well. Heck, anything is possible. A couple of things go a bit better for us, the ball bounces this way or that, a couple of assignments aren't missed, a couple big plays are made...and BOOM we end up 9-7 and in the hunt for a wild card. :)

Don't get me wrong. I will always be dissapointed when the Redskins don't do well. This year, I'm sure I'll be upset after the losses that will undoubtedly come.

I will try to stay realistic though, and remember that this is a work in progress. Overall, I think Shanahan and Allen are doing a great job "building" the team. The biggest mistake we could make right now is to set expectations on wins and losses.

Again, 9-7 wouldn't have gotten us in the playoffs. But it probably would've given McNabb another year here to under throw receivers on eight yard routes and trip over his center.

People who expect change over night just crack me up. On top of it all, this is probably the type of guy who will bash the Redskins for not going after a big name FA, but then blast them for taking one that didn't work.

:silly: Don't forget that it took fans yelling at Snyder and saying not so nice things about him and holding signs up at Fed ex field telling him to fire Vinny and hire a real GM for it to happen. A total revolt against his old ways.

Snyder wanted to replace Vinny with Bruce Allen while Gibbs was here. That's years before the "fan revolt".

yea what the **** would people like Shanny to do. He's a building a freakin football team. Donovan didn't work. Sorry. Everyone on the Skins is handling it very well, and non dramatic. What exactly are these 'ego-driven' decisions post-McNabb incident? He actually turned out to be right in benching Donovan, and I'd say he's getting MOSTLY praise for his draft decisions. He (brilliantly IMO) let Haynesworth show how worthless he is, and came out on top in that one, just as he did with Donovan. The team was a ****ing mess. It's been ONE year. This **** is ridiculous.

Luckily, the exaggerated Redskins hate is mostly kept to these turds and their little blogs. ESPN, etc, aren't talking about the Skins, and whenever they do, it's praise for a great 'rebuilding' draft. That article was ****ing stupid.

Archived