Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drew Rosenhaus comments on the Redskins and Hankerson

redskinsbaby123

Accordingly some Miami fans I know, the biggest knock on Hankerson is his hands. He makes a lot of great catches, but he tends to drop very catchable balls. I wanted the Redskins to draft him for their first pick in the second round, so I'm thrilled they picked him up in the 3rd round.

sounds like James Jones.

Something about this kid just says "meant to be", having been tutored by the likes of Chris Carter and Mark Duper already, may have given this kid a hunger to be great at NFL level. Roster has Mike Furry having #85, if he makes the team, I'm thinking he'll need a new #.

I agree man, the more I watch and hear about the guy, the more I like him. I mean, the dude's no slouch if (with drops and all) he has broken the records of so many UofM greats records. Unless he was facing defenses missing their secondary and only caught 3 yard curls in the endzone, that's quite an accomplishment. I'd also like to see some info on how many balls he's dropped each season, because if he's shown the ability to improve his concentration each year, I think there's something to be said about that. Watching from his videos with Mark Duper he looked to really improve, and it seems he has, considering his junior and senior seasons he excelled and surpassed he marks for the year prior.

Talking about his explosiveness, just watching that 79 yard td catch tells me that the guys got something. Plus he absolutely takes off through that hole, he may not be Desean Jackson, but not too many people are.

Not saying that there may not be room for improvement in Hankerson's game, but you can say that about any WR from any class in history and definitely this 2011 class. Every player has negatives, just like every player has talent in the NFL, because there's no way you get there without it. But the guys who stick around are the guys who work at it, and from everything I've seen about Hankerson he seems more than willing to put in the work both on and off the field.

So what IS the knock on Hankerson then? Why is ES and Drew Rosenhaus so much smarter than the personnel departments of 31 other NFL Teams?

4.3 40, all time records at Miami, and MVP of the Sr. Bowl. What's the knock on him? Are his hands that bad?

---------- Post added May-14th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

this thread closed for some reason. Not sure why. It's open now

You accidentally leaned on the buttons!

Some players slip nowadays, because a lot of teams draft for need. [like we did] Free agency has a way of leaving holes to fill.

I hear he lacks "quickness" that he is fast in an all-out sprint, but isn't quick. He is more of a possession receiver with questionable hands.

I thought TO as well when i heard about the dropping balls. Hopefully he can get over that. I too have bought into the hype and am so glad we landed him in the 3rd round. If Malcom Kelly actually contributes this year, i would like a WR set of Hankerson, Kelly and resign Moss for the slot. It's definitely asking for a lot but damn it other teams have no problem inserting draft picks into their line up and getting solid results... why not us for a change.

*Edit* AA or Kelly would be solid actually. Hopefully they both can get on the field.

I agree man, the more I watch and hear about the guy, the more I like him. I mean, the dude's no slouch if (with drops and all) he has broken the records of so many UofM greats records. Unless he was facing defenses missing their secondary and only caught 3 yard curls in the endzone, that's quite an accomplishment. I'd also like to see some info on how many balls he's dropped each season, because if he's shown the ability to improve his concentration each year, I think there's something to be said about that. Watching from his videos with Mark Duper he looked to really improve, and it seems he has, considering his junior and senior seasons he excelled and surpassed he marks for the year prior.

Miami plays some good teams, so he couldn't have faced crappy defenses all the time, plus from what I read, he's only had average QB's throwing to him. (living here in FL, I can't remember any QB hype from UM last few years). I too like his work habits, and that 2 baseball drill really seems to have improved his concentration, props to Duper! I can't wait to see him on the field either!

Ah, how nice it would be to have a big time WR again. Moss was beastly in '05, but since then it's been a struggle for us at the position.
Our WRs have been an issue for sure, but I do not think you can put that on Moss. 2005 was NOT his only productive year. In fact, he has been fairly consistent, except for the nagging hamstring injuries. Moss had a career year last season. He is still good. The problem is that we have not really had anybody besides Moss. We tried to get somebody else with D Thomas and M Kelly, but we all know how that worked out. Hopefully Hankerson can be that missing piece.

I'd describe him a bit as a poor man's Julio Jones.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but the biggest knock on Julio Jones as well is his hands. I have seen Julio drop a lot of very catch-able balls, so maybe I am missing something?

---------- Post added May-14th-2011 at 10:16 PM ----------

Our WRs have been an issue for sure, but I do not think you can put that on Moss. 2005 was NOT his only productive year. In fact, he has been fairly consistent, except for the nagging hamstring injuries. Moss had a career year last season. He is still good. The problem is that we have not really had anybody besides Moss. We tried to get somebody else with D Thomas and M Kelly, but we all know how that worked out. Hopefully Hankerson can be that missing piece.

I love Moss. I am hoping he returns to us for another season so he can work the slot.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the biggest knock on Julio Jones as well is his hands. I have seen Julio drop a lot of very catch-able balls, so maybe I am missing something?

no that's right - I mean it in the sense that they both have the same primary flaws (hands and game speed). Jones is just the more accomplished and polished player at this point.

no that's right - I mean it in the sense that they both have the same primary flaws (hands and game speed). Jones is just the more accomplished and polished player at this point.

I don't see how Julio Jones is more accomplished, he is just better known. Hankerson owns almost every record for recieving at Miami. He was the MVP of the Senior Bowl. He has improved tremendously in between seasons. Jones is more athletic and played for a better team. In terms of actual individual accomplishments however Hankerson looks more impressive imo.

I posted a bunch of stuff on him in the other thread http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?347175-Leonard-Hankerson-doing-drills-this-week.../page4, the guy is a quality guy who had drops in his first two seasons and then worked hard to improve on that....the proof.....

CAREER: Arguably the best statistical season by a wide receiver in Miami history in 2010 ... Became just the third player in program history to record a 1,000-yard receiving season and the first to have 2,000 yards for a career and 1,000 in a season ... His 22 receiving touchdowns rank third all-time at Miami behind Michael Irvin (26) and Lamar Thomas (23) ... One of only three players in school history with back-to-back 800-yard receiving seasons (Irvin, Andre Johnson) ... Caught a pass in 26 straight games dating back to Sept. 7, 2009 ... Played in 41 games over his career (2007-2010) ... Earned First-Team All-ACC honors as a senior ... Wrapped up his career with 2,160 receiving yards on 134 receptions ... Named team most valuable player in final season.

I don't see how Julio Jones is more accomplished, he is just better known. Hankerson owns almost every record for recieving at Miami. He was the MVP of the Senior Bowl. He has improved tremendously in between seasons. Jones is more athletic and played for a better team. In terms of actual individual accomplishments however Hankerson looks more impressive imo.

In three years and 39 starts, Jones has 179 rec for 2653 yds and 15 TDs for a run first offense (1042 pass attempts past 3 years).

In four years and 38 starts, Hankerson has 134 rec for 2165 yds and 22 TDs in a spread offense (1270 pass attempts past 3 years).

Jones is a better WR in nearly every skill, and is more accomplished both statistically, as well as in terms of the defenses he faced every weak. However, Hankerson is a very similiar player from a physical and type of player standpoint. Neither will blow the top off a defense, but both are big physical receivers with excellent body control. Both draw comparisons to players such as TO and Anquon Boldin. And both struggle with their hands and concentration at times.

So yes, I view Hankerson as a poor man's Julio Jones (which is not an insult by an stretch of the imagination), and a fantastic value in the 3rd for a developing player with a huge ceiling.

I'd rather have Hank at 79 than Jones at 6 all day long.

Just to have somebody say that the 'Skins got a good value in the draft, I don't think that's happened in 20 years.

If they re-sign Moss, the compbo of Moss, Hankerson, and AA as the three starters, working in some of the other young fellas, give it a year or two, this could be somewhat potent.

Also toss in a new stable of RBs, and probably a new OL or two...

They are doing exactly what I wanted them to do on offense. Get the pieces in place, upgrade the OL, WR, RB spots over 2 years, THEN go and look for the QB. So the QB isn't learning at the same time as the other players. Makes his life easier if the WRs and RBs already know where they're supposed to be.

You know, on the first game of the season, the 'Skins might start Cooley, Rabach, Moss as the only 3 players who were on the field for Jim Zorn's final year. And there's no guarantee that Moss would be re-signed, or that Rabach starts. So in 2 years, they might have turned over no less than 63% of the offensive starters, and potentially up to 90%. That's not too shabby.

So what IS the knock on Hankerson then? Why is ES and Drew Rosenhaus so much smarter than the personnel departments of 31 other NFL Teams?

4.3 40, all time records at Miami, and MVP of the Sr. Bowl. What's the knock on him? Are his hands that bad?

According to multiple pro scouting reports, he started off his college career with very poor hands and really lacked concentration. I suspect that had to do with him already having a child and starting college and playing football. That is a lot.

They also say though that by his senior season he was one of the most improved players, however, he still sometimes lacks concentration on the easy catches.

The other knocks where his route running needs work. They say he has a long stride and builds up speed, so he's a downfield threat. He also is good at finding open space in zone defenses. But they knock him on certain routes that require quick change of direction like comebacks or quick cuts.

Sounds like he has good speed for his size, but he takes some time to get up to that speed and isn't really fast out of cuts. He's more of a guy that's gonna use his size to battle for the ball and go and not someone who's going to be wide open a lot.

Overall though... a lot of reports said he was a solid second rounder, some had him sneaking into late first round. Also said he would be a solid #2 option right away in the NFL and has potential to be a solid NFL #1. So sounds like we got a lot of value for him.

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 12:31 PM ----------

In three years and 39 starts, Jones has 179 rec for 2653 yds and 15 TDs for a run first offense (1042 pass attempts past 3 years).

In four years and 38 starts, Hankerson has 134 rec for 2165 yds and 22 TDs in a spread offense (1270 pass attempts past 3 years).

yeah.. but who's throwing the ball makes a big difference as well and overall competition faced. IMO.. UofMiami's 2010 schedule was tougher than Alabama's.

Jones has McElroy throwing him the ball, who was a 7th round pick, but he was drafted to the NFL.

Hank had Jacory Harris throwing him the ball, who at this point is not likely to be drafted and is entering his senior season which needs to be exceptional to have a chance.

as a "U" fan im happy we got hank. jacoby harris is so erratic at times its so sickening he often lofts the deep balls time in time out! hank had to make many adjustments to catch them.. and dont be fooled if he had a better qb he would have bee right up there as a top 20 pick! his lack of concentration can be corrected! he just needs to take the time and focus... keep in mind shanny draft a similar wr before .... b. marshall come into mind... hes gonna take time as we dont have a sure qb yet.. and if we do "beck" then still gonna take a couple offseasons to gel.

UofMiami's 2010 schedule was tougher than Alabama's.

How in the world is the ACC tougher than the SEC?

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 01:29 PM ----------

Didn't Rosenhaus also say that Willis McGhehee would be a pro-bowler as a rookie yadda yadda yadda. HE'S AN AGENT, he's supposed to say good things lol. I like Hankerson but Rosenhaus' opinion ain't why

There's a difference between saying good things about your own client and someone else's client.

Archived