Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. drone in Yemen missed al Qaeda's al-Awlaki: report (Reuters)

#98QBKiller

And certainly not calling you out personally, but it's easy to feel that way when people agree with you. It would be really refreshing to see this kind of discussion happen when we (collectively) disagree. We always ***** that politicians put scoring political points ahead of the country, but then often turn around and do the same damned thing. I suspect that they won't change until we do.

But yeah, this is pretty cool.

It's all good, I understand what you're saying. And I've taken my fair share of political jabs at people but it seems like it's just not as bad as it used to be.

Although we'll see what happens when election season is fully underway. :silly:

---------- Post added May-7th-2011 at 01:00 AM ----------

And I agree 98. I know I've personally grown and moderated myself quite a bit politically over the last few years.

Same here. And I've changed my positions somewhat on certain issues. It could just be a maturation process though.

Thanks h_h, totally understand. I work early tomorrow so I'm getting ready for bed, but when I get a chance tomorrow I'll check out your thread. I'll respond to you there or maybe through PM or something.

Either way, bro. Lookin' forward to it. I gotta get my ass to bed myself. The cars won't sell themselves tomorrow. :ols:

And I agree 98. I know I've personally grown and moderated myself quite a bit politically over the last few years.

It's been noticed, if not said. You used to be pretty bad for my blood pressure. Now I can't remember the last time I wanted to crawl through the screen and choke you. ;)

---------- Post added May-7th-2011 at 01:09 AM ----------

Same here. And I've changed my positions somewhat on certain issues. It could just be a maturation process though.

If you find yourself becoming more conservative, then it definitely is. ;)

Maybe he should be invited to dine at the Pentagon again, then catch him there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/21/national/main6978200.shtml

Qaeda-Linked Imam Dined at Pentagon after 9/11

Anwar al-Awlaki - the radical spiritual leader linked to several 9/11 attackers, the Fort Hood shooting, and the attempted Christmas Day bombing of an airliner - was a guest at the Pentagon in the months after 9/11, a Pentagon official confirmed to CBS News.

I have doomed my party in 2012. Once the "Barry Badass" © bumper stickers drop, it's all over for the GOP. :ols:

Seriously though, the wingnuts on both sides won't change their view at all. The right won't give him credit. The left won't admit that if it was Bush doing this, they would've kept up the "OMG! We're creating even MORE enemies/terrorists in the Middle East."

Fortunately, most of us aren't on the fringes. And maybe it's a little too utopian, but I have to believe that it's those of us just right, and just left, of center that will decide elections in the near future.

But frankly, I think anyone who questioned how Obama would prosecute the war on terror (and there were many, on both sides) that don't admit he's done an utterly kick-ass job, is a wingnut or a fool. Probably both.

Problem is the wingbuts often pick the candidate for the party

I like Barry Badass...

or Ba-rocket Up Your Tailpipe

or OBomba.

It's possible to like some of what a president does, and not like other stuff. It's even possible to go to the extremes of either.. you can REALLY like how he's pursuing the terrorists, and you can REALLY dislike his domestic policy. This is America, and it's not an either / or proposition.

AQ is on notice. Got to love that.

~Bang

The sob was born in student housing in my alma mater and lived here in Las Cruces for a while. If I picked on him or beat him up and caused him to hate us, I'm not sorry.

from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

Al-Awlaki's parents are from Yemen. His father, Nasser al-Aulaqi, was a Fulbright Scholar.[44] The father earned a master's degree in agricultural economics at New Mexico State University in 1971

We've been drone attacking for years. I'm not sure this is really anything new that Obama is the mastermind of. But props are due for approving the strike in Pakistan.

Sure we have. But what impresses me is the follow through as far as attacking these idiots wherever they are. Make no mistake, if there are terrorists within your borders, whether you're Pakistan, Yemen, or Canada, we're coming to light them up.

And I like "OBomba." Well played, Bangster.

I have doomed my party in 2012. Once the "Barry Badass" © bumper stickers drop, it's all over for the GOP. :ols:

Seriously though, the wingnuts on both sides won't change their view at all. The right won't give him credit. The left won't admit that if it was Bush doing this, they would've kept up the "OMG! We're creating even MORE enemies/terrorists in the Middle East."

Fortunately, most of us aren't on the fringes. And maybe it's a little too utopian, but I have to believe that it's those of us just right, and just left, of center that will decide elections in the near future.

But frankly, I think anyone who questioned how Obama would prosecute the war on terror (and there were many, on both sides) that don't admit he's done an utterly kick-ass job, is a wingnut or a fool. Probably both.

I think Obama has done an OUTSTANDING job with the foreign policy and he is winning my vote for '12 right now. However, the biggest decision he's made is to go against his party and beef up Afghanistan instead of pulling out of both Iraq/Afghanistan. I'm not trying to take away credit from him, but I'm also not going to act like the previous administration deserves no credit at all b/c they did setup the infrastructure that Obama is using for both campaigns.

Frankly I'm just impressed that we had presidential turnover during 2 wars, and both wars have actually improved since then. I don't care what parties are which, in terms of government production that's impressive and surprising.

I'm an ACTUAL fiscal conservative unlike most of the Republicans who just say they are now, instead of 2000-2008 when they went on a spending spree, so i like low taxes and low spending. I would compromise higher taxes if the President came out and compromised on the budget cuts more. I feel the current republicans are demanding keeping the tax cuts not just because it's a good idea, but just for their election platform where they can tell people they didn't raise taxes.

In short, I'm a conservative leaning independent but I'm very happy with how President Obama has performed and I would definitely vote for him in '12 (i was in Afghanistan during the '08 election and was too busy to get my absentee ballot in. i would've voted for Mcain at the time though). Just please work with me a little on the fiscal issues. I feel the economy will fix itself, but our budget won't.

I'm seeing a lot of reports on twitter that Saleh (the pres of Yemen) has been giving us info to help us go after Awlaki in hopes the US will back him diplomatically against the opposition.

(we haven't come out in public against him so far, although we were reportedly trying to push him to resign in private a few weeks ago.)

This makes one wonder just what he knows about Al Queda in Yemen and how much he's keeping a secret.

I'm passing [topsecret] information: Don't read below this line:

The Seal Team killed Osama and captured a ton of information on:

Every leader in every country worth his salt

Every safehouse location

Every courier for leadership to use between countries

They are running for the hills

[/topsecret]

This "miss" killed 2 mid-level Alqaeda. (I'll take that anyday).

That's unfortunate.

But hey, at least we got to kill some bad guys and blow **** up.

On a related note, I'm so happy Obama chose to send in a team to capture/kill Osama instead of a drone strike. I'm happy we were able to get confirmation of the OBL's death and that our US forces got to pull the trigger. :)

On a related note, I'm so happy Obama chose to send in a team to capture/kill Osama instead of a drone strike. I'm happy we were able to get confirmation of the OBL's death and that our US forces got to pull the trigger. :)

That's the huge upside to sending in a SEAL team to kill him. We gain a huge amount of intelligence by doing so.

If we bombed the **** out of the compound, he'd still be dead... but we wouldn't have all the information that we have right now. There would always be the question looming about whether we actually got him or not as well. As it stands, we know we got him AND we got all the information he had stored up.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/05/20115873348375189.html

Iraqi al-Qaeda leader killed in jail fight

Abu Huzaifa Al Batawi and up to 15 others shot dead after prisoners try to overpower their guards in Baghdad prison.

Last Modified: 08 May 2011 10:31

The most senior member of al-Qaeda in Iraq has been shot dead during clashes between officers and prisoners inside a jail in Baghdad, officials say.

Abu Huzaifa Al Batawi, the leader of the Islamic state of Iraq - the most powerful al-Qaeda faction in the country - was killed along with up to 15 others after detainees tried to overpower their guards on Sunday.

The incident occurred at the ministry of interior's Baghdad compound, designed to be one of the most secure facilities in the country.

Officials say Al Batawi grabbed the gun of a prison guard as he was being moved through the prison compound. He managed to kill several police officers before he was shot dead

Other inmates joined the fight, and nine of them were reported killed.

Several other detainees were injured and brought to Baghdad's al-Kindi hospital under tight security. They were taken away by security officials to an unidentified location after being treated, officials said.

Al Batawi was accused of being behind an attack on a Baghdad church that left 68 people dead last October

Hopefully this is how it happened.

Archived