Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. drone in Yemen missed al Qaeda's al-Awlaki: report (Reuters)

#98QBKiller

Between this and the bin Laden killing, it sounds like the military is really amping up its attacks on al Qaeda.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/07/us-yemen-drone-awlaki-idUSTRE7456R520110507?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

U.S. drone in Yemen missed al Qaeda's al-Awlaki: report

WASHINGTON | Fri May 6, 2011 10:37pm EDT

(Reuters) - The U.S. drone aircraft attack that killed two midlevel al Qaeda militants in Yemen on Thursday was targeting the leader of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, a U.S.-born radical known for encouraging attacks on the United States, U.S. media reported.

CBS News and The Wall Street Journal, citing Yemeni and U.S. officials, said on Friday that Anwar al-Awlaki was not hit when a missile was fired at a car in southern Yemen on Thursday, killing two brothers believed to be al Qaeda militants.

"We were hoping it was him," a U.S. official told CBS News.

The U.S. Defense Department declined to comment on the reports.

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, is estimated to number about 300 fighters with strongholds in remote mountain regions in the provinces of Shabwa, Abyan, Jouf and Marib. It is thought to be behind numerous attacks on government targets.

The group is said to have inspired attacks by Muslims inside the United States -- including the Fort Hood, Texas, shootings in which an Army psychiatrist is accused of killing 13 people and wounding 32 -- and twice smuggled explosives aboard aircraft headed to the United States.

Yemen's Defense Ministry confirmed Thursday's drone attack had killed two al Qaeda militants, identifying them as brothers Musa'id and Abdullah Mubarak al-Daghari.

Washington considers the Yemen-based al Qaeda branch the world's most active terror cell.

With the killing in Pakistan earlier this week of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, some officials believe Awlaki's group now represents the gravest danger to the United States and other Western nations.

(Writing by Todd Eastham; Editing by Peter Cooney and Eric Walsh)

I propose the new nickname, "Barry Badass."

I've seen a few leaders SAY, "We'll pursue terrorists wherever they are, by whatever means necessary." I've seen ONE carry that out.

Much respect to a man who frankly scared me in this area going in. I had deep-seeded worries about how he'd prosecute the wars, and combat terrorism. I'm sleeping a whole hell of a lot easier these days.

I've seen a few leaders SAY, "We'll pursue terrorists wherever they are, by whatever means necessary." I've seen ONE carry that out.

Much respect to a man who frankly scared me in this area going in. I had deep-seeded worries about how he'd prosecute the wars, and combat terrorism. I'm sleeping a whole hell of a lot easier these days.

Aren't you glad that you voted for him... ... now?

Lol, I'm liking Barry Badass.

And Springfiekld, not sure if you're being serious there but if so, we still killed two mid-level guys and just missed the big one. Not sure how that can be considered a blunder. Hitting a school for girls would be a blunder, killing bad guys never is.

Lol, I'm liking Barry Badass.

And Springfiekld, not sure if you're being serious there but if so, we still killed two mid-level guys and just missed the big one. Not sure how that can be considered a blunder. Hitting a school for girls would be a blunder, killing bad guys never is.

I'm serious however I wouldn't consider it a blunder.

After killing OBL, Barry Badass has high expectations. He missed the mark and the haters will use this to jump on him. I can see it now. "Barry is too confident and thinks that he can do whatever he wants."

I'm sure there's a few on here who would be willing to argue about that. :ols:

I have doomed my party in 2012. Once the "Barry Badass" © bumper stickers drop, it's all over for the GOP. :ols:

Seriously though, the wingnuts on both sides won't change their view at all. The right won't give him credit. The left won't admit that if it was Bush doing this, they would've kept up the "OMG! We're creating even MORE enemies/terrorists in the Middle East."

Fortunately, most of us aren't on the fringes. And maybe it's a little too utopian, but I have to believe that it's those of us just right, and just left, of center that will decide elections in the near future.

But frankly, I think anyone who questioned how Obama would prosecute the war on terror (and there were many, on both sides) that don't admit he's done an utterly kick-ass job, is a wingnut or a fool. Probably both.

I mean look how Obama-hating honorary_hog reacted. I think most will be like that. "Damn, he killed Osama AND he almost got that douche in Yemen? Obama is a baaaad mofo."

"Hating" is too strong. I understand where the impression comes from though.

I've been damned frustrated with some of the things this Administration has done/hasn't done. And I continue to be. But this dude is Reaganesque in going after our enemies, and I couldn't be happier about it.

I mean, H_H, didn't you vote for Barry Badass? Or at least consider it?

Yes I did. I didn't actually get to pull the lever (long story that's been rehashed a million times) but yes, I absolutely did support him over McCain.

I became disenchanted pretty quickly, and I'm probably going a little overboard with my complimentary comments now. The issues that pissed me off are still there. But isolating this single aspect of his presidency, he's been masterful so far.

:ols:

Barry Badass. Awesome name.

And I agree with the last part too. I had doubts about his aggressiveness toward terrorism but thought for sure that he would be able to fix the economy. It's turning out to be the other way around. But I am glad to see him busting al Qaeda ass.

I'm more impressed with the drone strike in Pakistan

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/06/pakistan.drone.strike/index.html?eref=rss_world

**** em

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/08/pakistan.teen.bomber/?iref=obinsite

A sorrowful Pakistani teen suspected of collaborating in this week's deadly suicide bombing at a Sufi shrine is claiming to police that scores of his young peers at a camp in the nation's perilous tribal region are being trained to stage attacks.

"I did a wrong thing," Umar Fidai said from his hospital bed aired on national TV Friday. "Please forgive me."

Fidai was arrested alive after the suicide bombing at a Sufi shrine on Sunday killed at least 41 people and wounded more than 100. The blast occurred in Dera Ghazi Khan in Punjab province.

The boy hails from a village in the Pakistani tribal district of North Waziristan, an area that is next to war-torn Afghanistan. The Taliban and al Qaeda have had a strong presence in the region, and Sunni Muslim militants based in Pakistan have staged attacks in Afghanistan.

He said he had been recruited one day as he was coming home from school, when a Taliban leader named Qari Zafar met him and persuaded him he would go to heaven if he carried out a suicide attack.

"The moment you will press the button of your suicide jacket, you will immediately go to heaven," Fidai said Zafar told him.

Yes I did. I didn't actually get to pull the lever (long story that's been rehashed a million times) but yes, I absolutely did support him over McCain.

I became disenchanted pretty quickly, and I'm probably going a little overboard with my complimentary comments now. The issues that pissed me off are still there. But isolating this single aspect of his presidency, he's been masterful so far.

I respect that and I respect that as a Republican that you felt disenchanted quickly.

I don't think that you are wrong to give compliments to him now. Barry Badass will stick though. Just another legacy that you've created on ES. :)

(and apparently I lean right ever so slightly... I'm still surprised by that. Even more surprising is that my wife leans left. Stupid Pew Research results)

:ols:

Barry Badass. Awesome name.

And I agree with the last part too. I had doubts about his aggressiveness toward terrorism but thought for sure that he would be able to fix the economy. It's turning out to be the other way around. But I am glad to see him busting al Qaeda ass.

You and I are the people the candidates in '12 need to talk to. :cheers:

Well, and the people like us. I don't want them camping out on my front lawn or anything. :ols:

Yeah I know h_h.

Hey, can you sum up your disappointments and frustrations with Obama? I'm not trying to debate and you don't really need to explain your personal stances on issues. Just a quick breakdown of what you expected and what you got.

I've noticed--been noticed--something with disappointed left-wing Obama voters and I'm wondering if it's in the same boat with disappointed right-wing Obama voters. I did some volunteer work for his campaign here in Virginia and I attended his Innaguration. And one thing that really wore me down was that people weren't listening to what the man was saying. They were just projecting everything under the sun onto him. Everything they wanted they were hearing him say. So now you have left-wing Obama voters who are bitter he isn't a raging liberal. Well no ****.

Yeah I know h_h.

Hey, can you sum up your disappointments and frustrations with Obama?

All respect, brother, not here. This thread deserves to remain about prosecution of the WOT, not a laundry list of things I, or anyone else, think he's doing wrong. If there's argument with how he's doing with the WOT, fine, I'm anxious to hear what it would be. But there are plenty of other threads for griping.

I started one a week and a half ago or so. "So, how IS that hopey, changey thing working out for you?" I outlined some of my complaints there, and would be happy to discuss them further. :cheers:

You and I are the people the candidates in '12 need to talk to. :cheers:

Well, and the people like us. I don't want them camping out on my front lawn or anything. :ols:

Yeah I know h_h.

Hey, can you sum up your disappointments and frustrations with Obama? I'm not trying to debate and you don't really need to explain your personal stances on issues. Just a quick breakdown of what you expected and what you got.

I've noticed--been noticed--something with disappointed left-wing Obama voters and I'm wondering if it's in the same boat with disappointed right-wing Obama voters. I did some volunteer work for his campaign here in Virginia and I attended his Innaguration. And one thing that really wore me down was that people weren't listening to what the man was saying. They were just projecting everything under the sun onto him. Everything they wanted they were hearing him say. So now you have left-wing Obama voters who are bitter he isn't a raging liberal. Well no ****.

All respect, brother, not here. This thread deserves to remain about prosecution of the WOT, not a laundry list of things I, or anyone else, think he's doing wrong. If there's argument with how he's doing with the WOT, fine, I'm anxious to hear what it would be. But there are plenty of other threads for griping.

I started one a week and a half ago or so. "So, how IS that hopey, changey thing working out for you?" I outlined some of my complaints there, and would be happy to discuss them further. :cheers:

These are the kind of political discussions we should be having. Respectful, logical and not fueled by pure emotion. But often there's an idiot that wants to jump in and shout about his political team and get everyone riled up.

I've seen more positive discussions on politics in recent months, it's almost like people are realizing that being on one fringe or the other isn't a good idea. I definitely think people are drawing more toward the middle of the political spectrum than in the mid-2000s, hopefully the leaders that we elect learn that.

These are the kind of political discussions we should be having. Respectful, logical and not fueled by pure emotion. But often there's an idiot that wants to jump in and shout about his political team and get everyone riled up.

I've seen more positive discussions on politics in recent months, it's almost like people are realizing that being on one fringe or the other isn't a good idea. I definitely think people are drawing more toward the middle of the political spectrum than in the mid-2000s, hopefully the leaders that we elect learn that.

And certainly not calling you out personally, but it's easy to feel that way when people agree with you. It would be really refreshing to see this kind of discussion happen when we (collectively) disagree. We always ***** that politicians put scoring political points ahead of the country, but then often turn around and do the same damned thing. I suspect that they won't change until we do.

But yeah, this is pretty cool.

Thanks h_h, totally understand. I work early tomorrow so I'm getting ready for bed, but when I get a chance tomorrow I'll check out your thread. I'll respond to you there or maybe through PM or something.

And I agree 98. I know I've personally grown and moderated myself quite a bit politically over the last few years.

Archived