Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passed on every QB possible, Shanny secretly talking to a Vet QB?

ZoEd

The plan is to lose every game and get Luck next year..:)

Next year's draft class supposedly has 5 or 6 franchise caliber QBs. Don't necessarily need Luck to get our QB of the future.

See what I did there? I used a play on Luck's name to...well, you get it.

Why would anyone want Hasselbeck or Young? Hasselbeck is 5 years older than Beck, is clearly on the physical decline, and doesn't even have familiarity with the playbook/Redskins coaches/Redskins players/etc. And Vince Young is Vince Young, a more effective Jamarcus Russell who is being run out of town by an owner who actually likes him.

Many fans want a name for name's sack. What has Carson Palmer done in the last 4 years that would suggest that he would be a better fit than Beck might? Or even Grossman?

Stats don't tell the whole story, but hell, they were used to discredit Campbell by many. Here are the basic numbers for QBs in the last three games of the season, Weeks 15-17:

Rex Grossman

70-126 840 yards -- 7 tds, 4 int

Drew Brees

86-133 765 yards -- 5 tds, 4 ints

Peyton Manning

72 -110 672 yards -- 7 tds, 2 int

Philip Rivers

67-102 842 yards -- 4 tds, 2 int

Ben Roethlisberger

60-98 864 yards -- 4 tds, 0 int

Matt Schuab

76 -99 888 yards -- 4 tds, 2 int

Eli Manning

57-101 833 yards -- 7 tds, 6 int

Matt Ryan

57-96 558 yards -- 6 tds, 1 int

Tom Brady (MVP)

40-67 502 yards -- 7 tds, 0 int

Joe Flacco

36-58 399 yards -- 4 tds, 2 int

Sam Bradford

68-116 628 yards -- 1 td, 3 int

Josh Freeman

63-84 743 yards -- 8 tds, 0 int

Colt McCoy

54-95 601 yards -- 3 tds, 6 int

Jason Campbell

59-93 624 yards -- 3 tds, 2 int

This, with a fairly atrocious surrounding cast, mind you -- one that will be thoroughly improved in every regard this season. (And we'll have a better defense, etc. etc. etc.) Just goes to show that in this system, we can get effective quarterbacking play without that "elite" quarterback. It is also worth mentioning that all three of the games Grossman played were, I believe, 3 point games -- no end-of-game stat boosting drives.

It's going to be the Beck and Rexy show this year.

Next year, watch them pull an Atl/Cle type trade and move up for one of the big time producing QB's such as Luck, Barkley, Landry Jones,

Please don't confuse jones w Bradford. Despite similar numbers in the same offense Bradford is significantly better. Landry lacks accuracy and isn't near the decision maker that Bradford is. He throws high and late. Sure they were both throwing to wide open recievers w great protection, but Bradford hits them on time and in stride where Landry gets it close enough for college ball.

Please don't bring out the tired old completion % stat to counter my claim, watch his games watch where the ball is placed and when it's placed. Landry benefits from a great college scheme and talent, Bradford made the scheme better and elevated his team mates.

@redskinsblog

Redskins Matt Terl

Shanahan on Beck: "I had him as the top-ranked QB that year, and I didn't think it was close.... I think the world of him."

3 minutes ago via

get your Beck jersey's people :(

Sounds about right -- Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards. Put Beck in Kolb's shoes in Philly and it's hard to imagine him being any worse

According to Schefter and Mort, the Skins will be looking at Beck as the starter.

They seem to have been really high on him for awhile.

Problem is, Grossman has said he wants to be a starter, and he is a free agent.

Now if there was some team that makes him a very good offer and a chance to start, he may be gone.

I would think with the way they drafted, they plan on Beck, Grossman, then either a urfa or someone in a trade

As the man to hold the clipboard.

MflFK7Q0o9E

Here's the bottom line.....if we don't sign Hasselbeck or Bulger, it tells me that we're going to tank the season for Andrew Luck.

Shanny can use the lockout as an excuse....lack of free agency, etc....drafting 12 players also allows them to play a bunch of young players...essentially, if we don't sign a veteran QB; we're officially rebuilding.

Here's the bottom line.....if we don't sign Hasselbeck or Bulger, it tells me that we're going to tank the season for Andrew Luck.

Shanny can use the lockout as an excuse....lack of free agency, etc....drafting 12 players also allows them to play a bunch of young players...essentially, if we don't sign a veteran QB; we're officially rebuilding.

Even if we do sign a vet QB, we're rebuilding.

Something to think about. Carolina has 4 QBs on their roster: Newton, Clausen, Moore, and Pike. No way they carry all 4 into the season.

Just guessing here, but Matt Moore is probably the odd man out. They just drafted Newton, Clausen and Pike are young and under contract; which leaves Moore coming back from injury.

If it is not Moore, than it will be Pike who might be at least a serviceable back up for us.

Looking ahead to next year's draft (two hours after this one just ended... the life of a Redskins fan)

7 Teams that may look for a franchise quarterback next year -- two of these teams should be crossed off the list after Kolb is dealt and Carson Palmer is dealt.

Buffalo -- Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely prove that he's nothing more than an average-at-best starting quarterback. In the AFC East, with as little talent as they have, the Bills will likely pick in the top-5 again and a franchise QB may be too much to pass up.

Miami -- Chad Henne is awful. Are they in the market for Kolb or Palmer?

Arizona Cardinals? -- Will likely sign Marc Bulger. Perhaps he can have a Kurt Warner-type renaissance in the desert. Also a likely to trade destination for Kolb or Palmer.

Seattle Seahawks -- Almost certainly will be in the hunt, unless they trade for Kolb or Palmer. Potential to be a 3 or 4 win team and pick in the top-5.

Denver Broncos? -- Is Tim Tebow the man? This year will tell us much about what we need to know. Elway's not tied to him.

Oakland Raiders? -- Jason Campbell's last season to prove that he can be better than average. Never know with the Raiders; even if Campbell has a good year, they could get infatuated with a quarterback prospect. Team could be good enough to finish .500 and price themselves out range, though also ruthless enough to pull a Ditka and move up

Cleveland Browns? -- If Colt McCoy only has an average showing this year, the Browns will be in the prime position to take a top franchise quarterback, given their likely sub-.500 record and possession of Atlanta's first round pick as ammunition to trade up.

24 TEAMS WE CAN PROBABLY RULE OUT: (assuming there is no second coming of Clausen-level-bust so soon)

Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, 49ers (Kaepernick), Rams, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings (Ponder), Falcons, Panthers (Newton), Saints, Bucs, Titans (Locker), Jaguars (Gabbart), Colts, Texans, Steelers, Bengals (Dalton), Ravens, Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, Patriots.

We’ve admired Mike Shanahan’s un-Redskins-like approach of stockpiling draft picks this weekend. *Still, it’s been a surprise they haven’t used any of their eight selections in the first six rounds on a quarterback.

So with Donovan McNabb on the way out and Rex Grossman a free agent, who will be Washington’s starting quarterback? *Can we interest you in a little John Beck, Redskins fans?

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Redskins are “big believers” in Beck, and that signs point towards him possibly starting for the team next year. *The team reportedly never seriously considered a first-round QB, and never were going to trade up for one. *They reportedly thought Beck gives them a better chance to win. *(So what

Not liking this rookie crop is one thing. * Pinning your hopes on Beck is another. *The Redskins are trying to sell the idea that Beck had better stats as a senior at BYU than anyone in the draft. * That ignores the fact that Beck played in a weak conference and he hasn’t taken a snap in a game since 2007, when he was a disaster.

Beck is turning 30 years old this year and he has one career touchdown. * The Redskins say they love him, but they didn’t play him at all last year when Rex Grossman finished up the season.

No matter how much Shanahan believes in Beck, we have to believe for the sake of their fanbase that Washington’s starting quarterback isn’t yet on the roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/30/redskins-try-to-sell-john-beck-as-potential-starting-quarterback/

Hasselbeck doesn't fit Kyles downfield passing attack scheme IMO.

I do think Mark Bulger will be in play since Kyle orginally wanted him to run the offense last year. To me, if you can bring in Bulger, resign Rex, and allow Beck to play 3rd string I don't see where that is much of an issue.

There weren't a lot of scouts "banging the table" for any of these QB's, so there was no reason to take a QB just for the sake of taking one. Find someone who fits your system and what your trying to build.

If free agency does nor work for us in seeking a starting QB, I am perfectly fine going one more year with either Grossman or Beck. As most of us have said before, lets judge them after we place proper protection around them. Beck might just surprise us.

Luck and Barkley for 2012 who is with me

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:08 PM ----------

If free agency does nor work for us in seeking a starting QB, I am perfectly fine going one more year with either Grossman or Beck. As most of us have said before, lets judge them after we place proper protection around them. Beck might just surprise us.

Beck will fail like he did in Miami

when he had the chance...

Buffalo -- Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely prove that he's nothing more than an average-at-best starting quarterback. In the AFC East, with as little talent as they have, the Bills will likely pick in the top-5 again and a franchise QB may be too much to pass up.

Most think Fitzpatrick is a placeholder until they can find a franchise QB.

Miami -- Chad Henne is awful. Are they in the market for Kolb or Palmer?

They also apparently said that they didn't see a clear upgrade over Henne, so they improved the team around him. We'll see if he responds with improvement.

Arizona Cardinals? -- Will likely sign Marc Bulger. Perhaps he can have a Kurt Warner-type renaissance in the desert. Also a likely to trade destination for Kolb or Palmer.

I doubt they will be in the mix next year, considering that they have a couple of young guys they are still high on, but probably started too early in their development. I do think that Bulger will be the likely choice, since it won't cost them anything.

Seattle Seahawks -- Almost certainly will be in the hunt, unless they trade for Kolb or Palmer. Potential to be a 3 or 4 win team and pick in the top-5.

I guess it depends on how well Whitehurst does next year.

Denver Broncos? -- Is Tim Tebow the man? This year will tell us much about what we need to know. Elway's not tied to him.

Hard to say anything about that situation until we actually got training camp. Brady Quinn is also still there.

Oakland Raiders? -- Jason Campbell's last season to prove that he can be better than average. Never know with the Raiders; even if Campbell has a good year, they could get infatuated with a quarterback prospect. Team could be good enough to finish .500 and price themselves out range, though also ruthless enough to pull a Ditka and move up

Reportedly, there was a rumor that the Raiders were looking to trade up for Kaepernick, so not out of the realm of possibility.

Cleveland Browns? -- If Colt McCoy only has an average showing this year, the Browns will be in the prime position to take a top franchise quarterback, given their likely sub-.500 record and possession of Atlanta's first round pick as ammunition to trade up.

McCoy showed a lot with a pretty awful team around him. Unless he turns out to be a disaster, I doubt they will be looking for a QB

[/color]

Beck will fail like he did in Miami

when he had the chance...

Oh, you mean the John Beck that was on the Miami team that stared 0-14, and after Green went down, Beck was asked to start as a rookie in week 11.

Pretty easy to look bad on a team that won one game the whole year.

It'll be:

Grossman

Beck

UDFA/Low End FA acquistion

If grossman's our guy, we're in for a year of fumbles, interceptions and other miscues. Hopefully those miscues lead to a QB with a high pick in round one of next year

We can only hope!!

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:40 PM ----------

he couldn't handle criticism in Tennessee, DC will eat him alive :ols:

No kidding!! The poor kid would have to be on daily suicide watch the way our fans eat up qbs.

With Jacksonville jumping up to take Gabbert, does that put Garrard in play as an option to pick up eventually? Is David Garrard a better option then a Carson Palmer or a Vince Young?

Im fine with sticking it out with Rex and Beckfor one more season. At least Rex knows the playbook and Beck has had a season to digest it. Im gonna trust the Shanahan family with this one. I think its a good sign that they didnt take a QB for the sake of taking one, if they didnt like them.

I think Shanny is gonna do the Rex/Beck show and let them compete. Can't be any worse than McNabb. Beck has a lot to prove. I think it'd be awesome if he won the starting job. I saw a vid on youtube where he throws like a 70 yd pass. He has a cannon and was good in college.

With Jacksonville jumping up to take Gabbert, does that put Garrard in play as an option to pick up eventually? Is David Garrard a better option then a Carson Palmer or a Vince Young?

Im fine with sticking it out with Rex and Beckfor one more season. At least Rex knows the playbook and Beck has had a season to digest it. Im gonna trust the Shanahan family with this one. I think its a good sign that they didnt take a QB for the sake of taking one, if they didnt like them.

...in 2008 Garrard signed a 6-year 60-million dollar extension with the Jags

Archived