Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passed on every QB possible, Shanny secretly talking to a Vet QB?

ZoEd

Can probably add Marc Bulger and Matt H (Seattle) to the list of possibilities.

We'll see what happens, but I do wish we had someone to look to the future with instead of 30-somethings that we hope have something left in the tank. Assuming McNabb is not the QB this coming season (and it looks likely he won't be), there's gonna be a lot of pressure on Rex or whoever we get in FA to perform. If the offense sputters and we finish below .500 and don't have a young prospect in the wings, the accolades over the draft this past weekend are going to seem like a distant memory.

well said....shanny better be right about passing on a qb...he better be sure kerrigan is not adam carriker that hazlett drafted in new orleans and was a TOTAL BUST. Carriker did the square root of nothing here in Washington. He had one sack that was celebrated in the media like he had 4 sacks in one game. He was traded for because he makes a mean kool aid. Also Shanny better be sure that Gabbert and Locker dont go on to be like Bledsoe and Steve Young. Some were comparing this QB draft class to 1983 in terms of depth

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 12:59 PM ----------

A lot of talk about Beck today

I am wondering though if there is some sort of deal between the Vikes and Skins planned for after the lockout a swap of QBs

this would be intriguing but how does minnesota play it with ponder? go through all these press conferences without telling the media,fans and ponder that he will be gone?

well said....shanny better be right about passing on a qb...he better be sure kerrigan is not adam carriker that hazlett drafted in new orleans and was a TOTAL BUST. Carriker did the square root of nothing here in Washington. He had one sack that was celebrated in the media like he had 4 sacks in one game. He was traded for because he makes a mean kool aid. Also Shanny better be sure that Gabbert and Locker dont go on to be like Bledsoe and Steve Young. Some were comparing this QB draft class to 1983 in terms of depth

Carriker was very solid last year and better than solid the last few games. As a DE is a 3-4 front playing in our scheme your not going to see flashy sack numbers but control two gaps and keep the backers clean on running plays and the provide some inside pressure and free up the outside backers who are your primary rush guys on passing downs.

He was a bust in a 4-3 front for the Rams (not the Saints) but was a great value pick up for us in a scheme that suits him.

I do agree though that how Gabbert performs will color the way we view this draft in a couple of years one way or another.

Who is going to be in the running for qbs next year. I am going to assume the 78 teams who took qbs this year will be out. Off the top of my head I have come up with Arizona, miami, Seattle, and Oak. We should have a good shot at landing a top qb next draft, and at least not be in panic mode like some teams were this year.

Also Shanny better be sure that Gabbert and Locker dont go on to be like Bledsoe and Steve Young. After how many years of riding the pine? Some were comparing this QB draft class to 1983 in terms of depth. Really? Because I do not see it, though they might be the Ken O'Brien / Todd Blackledge QBs out of the famous class that won 2 out of 11 superbowls they won in and that was just a few years before Elway received his AARP card from the NFL

From the interview with Jacksonville's GM, it sounds like they expect Garrard to win the job in camp.

You also have Jim Harbaugh saying that Alex Smith will probably win the job in San Fran. If Palmer comes back there's no way Dalton beats him out this year. Locker may sit behind Kerry Collins. The Panthers are in dire straits so Cam has to play. But over all, I'd say the fact that teams are anxious for vets to come back and win the jobs lets you know how weak this QB class was. Almost all of them were projects and we have enough projects on this team! The most important position on the field had to be a can't miss!

I think they also bring in a guy like Leinhart or T. Jackson on a 1 year deal to compete for a roster stop. It would have been nice to get a Andy Dalton, but even with all those QB's that went early, none of them seem to be world beaters. Free Agency will be all about OL, maybe CB and then QB.

I would not be opposed to having #5 behind center next season. I'm willing to give him a mulligan. If Rex can be an expert at Kyle's offense after one year of being a backup, Donovan should get the same respect after getting thrown to the wolves. But, can we bring him back from a financial standpoint? I thought that was the reason behind having the out in his contract extension after last season.

I don't know of any potential FA that really excites me. I guess we could get Carson Palmer, Rexy, and Delhomme and see if we can set some kind of historic record for the most INT's in a season.

I think that would be possible 'IF' McNabb could swallow his pride and allow the coaches to fix his mechanics and buy into what they're trying to do. Instead of doing his own thing (resulting in over 50 dirt balls) and insisting on running a Philly offense that is yet to have a super bowl to show for it. He really should humble himself cause his chances of getting on the field this year for anybody but the Raiders or Bills (Cards are said to have an agreement with Bulger) are slim and none. And Slim just left town!

Maybe it is the plan to go with grossman to ensure that we dont have a 8-8 or 9-7 season which would be devasting for this franchise. We really need to finish in the top 8 draft picks to get Barkley or Landry Jones.

There is no way Shanahan starts a certain QB with the intent of tanking the season. After the past two seasons, playing .500 ball would actually be somewhat of a success. But still, fans are going to get tired of seeing average ball and not having the promise of a young QB in the wings. I would think that, when Shanny was hired, most expected us to be further along at the QB position than we seem to be now.

But, if we aren't a cellar team and have to give up some picks to land a QB in next year's draft, maybe the fact that we wound up having so many this season might alleviate that tradeoff in many fans' eyes.

A possibilityis that the only QB forth of a draft pick fos shanny was Locker. When he was gone at 8th pick they went with plan B. Just stay with Beck/Grossman this year and work on other team's needs. We are in a rebulding phase so they know they'll need 2-3 years before been ready to compete. This giive you the advaantage to wait for the QB you think is whorth of an high pick.

I'm glad we didn't get Locker!! Did you see the film that Mayock threw up of him in the pocket? Locker was just awful!!! Terrible decision making and no accuracy. No thanks!

a vet qb or young qb is a horrible idea any way you slice it. none of them will be significantly better (imo all would be worse except maybe kolb) than rex/beck for this year, and we would have to pay for them.

I think people are dead wrong about Kolb's potential. Remember how the eagles looked when he came in after Vick got hurt? Their offense just sputtered. He went from first read to check down time and time again. We'd get him in third and 8 and tackle the dump off a couple yards short of the first down. In other words, he's the white Jason Campbell! At least JC was a better person. Kolb appears to be an arrogant jerk who hasn't done jack in this league.

NO THANKS!!!

Why don't you stop wasting your brain cells trying to figure out who the next QB is. Dilferis a dumb**** and doesn't know anything about evaluating talent. He is just like all the rest of these analyst and sports experts they say they have an inside source telling them that or this going to happen and it doesn't. He stated that Hasselback wasn't going back to Seattle then kind off back tracked a little because he hasn't talked to anyone. LaCanfora has reported numerous things the last year and a half but nothing has come true. So whatever rumor or hearsay that comes your way unless it comes from Shanahan, Allen, Snyder or the player himself. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!

I think that would be possible 'IF' McNabb could swallow his pride and allow the coaches to fix his mechanics and buy into what they're trying to do. Instead of doing his own thing (resulting in over 50 dirt balls) and insisting on running a Philly offense that is yet to have a super bowl to show for it. He really should humble himself cause his chances of getting on the field this year for anybody but the Raiders or Bills (Cards are said to have an agreement with Bulger) are slim and none. And Slim just left town!

I agree. Personally, I don't believe he is accurate enough to run this offense. He threw a lot of dirtballs in Philly too. Probably why a lot of Eagles fans were glad to be rid of him. I think the Vikings would still like to get McNabb. They still believe they are a contender and Ponder won't bring them a title this season. Not sure if they would give a draft pick for him but we could try to stock pile picks for next year.

haynesworth for orton. hilarious. and yet it makes sense in many ways.

If that deal gets done, bruce allen is a genius. But its so madden-esque, i dont think that kind of trade is plausible in the real nfl. Also i would think that the broncos would want to keep orton around as a backup even if they start tebow

I think we as Skins fans need to be relaxed on this quarterback situation. This team is not a qb away from competing at all. Yes the Skins need a signal caller but qb needs protection, running game, and someone to throw the ball to receive. I did not have a problem on not taking a qb in this draft because none of them were sure fire franchise qb's. Yes most qb's are not definite franchise qb but some qb you see the intangibles and skills set that states that is our qb but I did not see that with that class.

Archived