Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Passed on every QB possible, Shanny secretly talking to a Vet QB?

ZoEd

With Jacksonville jumping up to take Gabbert, does that put Garrard in play as an option to pick up eventually? Is David Garrard a better option then a Carson Palmer or a Vince Young?

From the interview with Jacksonville's GM, it sounds like they expect Garrard to win the job in camp.

I think that there were a couple of guys that they wanted early, but weren't so sold on them that they were willing to give up extra draft picks to trade up. If quarterback had been one of only two or three huge need positions, they might have taken a shot. As is, I'm glad they didn't draft a QB just to draft one if they did their homework. Sometimes it's not a matter of skill, but a matter of fit. Does a quarterback fit our style of offense or our market? Maybe the guys we could get without giving up picks to trade up just didn't.

Call me crazy, but perhaps not drafting a QB, particularly when Gabbert fell to us at 10 and we traded back, was a show of good faith . . . to Donovan McNabb. Despite the drama, he's our best chance to win next season. I won't be surprised if we bring him back - calling it a 50/50 chance.

He seems to have faith in Beck for some reason.

I'm guessing that Grossman and Beck compete for the starting position.

Yeah. And it makes the most sense, especially if there wasn't a young guy they liked. Outside of Vince Young all the available vets are way past their prime and also will have to learn a new offense -- in an offseason where there may be no time to learn it.

Grossman has shown he can do pretty well in this offense. If Beck beats him out... well maybe, just maybe Shanny has found a diamond in the rough. Crazier things have happened.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 02:20 AM ----------

Call me crazy, but perhaps not drafting a QB, particularly when Gabbert fell to us at 10 and we traded back, was a show of good faith . . . to Donovan McNabb. Despite the drama, he's our best chance to win next season. I won't be surprised if we bring him back - calling it a 50/50 chance.

I really don't think there's a chance. It wasn't just his play -- the nonsense with Fletcher Smith didn't just burn bridges, it blew them the hell up.

I really don't think there's a chance. It wasn't just his play -- the nonsense with Fletcher Smith didn't just burn bridges, it blew them the hell up.

Two things have a tendency to mend fences - money and time. Who else is going to pay McNabb the money we have him for if we exercise the option? It's been months since that explosion between Smith and the Shanahans. You're probably right, but I'm not willing to rule it out. We have no idea what they're thinking.

With Jacksonville jumping up to take Gabbert, does that put Garrard in play as an option to pick up eventually? Is David Garrard a better option then a Carson Palmer or a Vince Young?

Im fine with sticking it out with Rex and Beckfor one more season. At least Rex knows the playbook and Beck has had a season to digest it. Im gonna trust the Shanahan family with this one. I think its a good sign that they didnt take a QB for the sake of taking one, if they didnt like them.

Im no expert for sure. I have been coaching for almost 30 years and said many times I didn't think there was a franchise qb in this draft. Many experts have said the same. But so many teams were qb starved they just settled. I think there were a lot of 'good' qbs that came out this year. But after watching what a 'great' qb can do (Aaron Rogers) can do for a team I'd rather see the Redskins rebuild the team and wait for a great qb.

Agreed. When they were out of it last year, he decided to give Grossman a shot. Did it sound dumb at the time, yes. However, the guy is still under contract (I know it's because of the lockout and there can be no trades) and IMO he's still the best QB they have. I also think that Kyle Shanahan needs to mature a little and repair his relationship with McNabb. Grossman or Beck is not the answer for their solution at the QB. I also don't think this team traded 2 picks for a QB and then signed him to an extension for the purpose of only renting him for 1 year.

I can't believe we didnt get one mid rounds. If were relaying on grossman were in serious trouble.

Why?

What makes you think that Dalton/Kaepernick/Mallett/Ponder/etc. would be more effective as Redskins quarterback over the next 5 years rather than Grossman (or Beck)?

What if everyone outside of Redskins Park got it wrong. What if Shannahan went to Mcnabb, told him he needed to see what Grossman had before going into next season, but you will compete next year for the start. Remember, they made Mcnabb the captain the week they made Grossman the starter. That was weird. I don't know, just saying.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 11:45 PM ----------

I can't believe we didnt get one mid rounds. If were relaying on grossman were in serious trouble.

I don't seriously think a mid round QB would beat out Grossman or Beck, and I'm not high on either one. With that being said, I was wondering why they didn't either.

I don't seriously think a mid round QB would beat out Grossman or Beck, and I'm not high on either one. With that being said, I was wondering why they didn't either.

Maybe they didn't want to divert any time away from coaching Beck/Grossman? As teaching a new rook the playbook and how to be an NFL QB requires much attention. ?

Somebody answer this please...

If John Beck is the answer why didn't he get a chance to start last year when Shanny had his "open competition" the last four games???

If Beck is in the plans to start for us this year we have officially committed ourselves to the 2012 NFL draft top pick lottery. And its a good chance we can get the #1 pick because I dont see anyone being sorrier than us this year.

Agreed. When they were out of it last year, he decided to give Grossman a shot. Did it sound dumb at the time, yes. However, the guy is still under contract (I know it's because of the lockout and there can be no trades) and IMO he's still the best QB they have. I also think that Kyle Shanahan needs to mature a little and repair his relationship with McNabb. Grossman or Beck is not the answer for their solution at the QB. I also don't think this team traded 2 picks for a QB and then signed him to an extension for the purpose of only renting him for 1 year.

McNabb would be the obvious and easiest decision if we were trying to win. He's under contract, he's a veteran, and he's been in the system a year.I don't understand those who say we are shopping for a veteran QB. Why??? That would be the dumbest decision in the world to lease a used car when you already bought a perfectly good used car last year! We'd be making the same mistake we made last year by trading Campbell and trading for McNabb.

Let's see... Palmer, Hasselbeck, Bulger, Kolb, Young, Delhome, Wallace, Smith, Orton..??? Come on maaan! If Shanahan signed any of these retreads when we already have a Hall of Famed retread on the roster it would be just plain STUPID! Not to mention that the ultimate goal is finding a franchise QB in the draft! So I'm with you..

#1. mend your differences, start McNabb

#2.keep Beck as the backup

#3 draft a QB, O-line and ILBs.

Vinny is no longer running this team. No big named QB this year under the delusion we are a contender. Posibilty of signing a mid level FA to play next year.

Most likely, I see the team going with Rex and John Beck next season. I don't think they will be as stubborn with Rex as they were last year. Once the turnovers start, and they will in bunches, Beck will be the starter.

Next years draft has a number of possible franchise QB's. I'm glad we didn't draft a quarterback this year. Most of the guys taken in the 1st round should have been 3rd rounders. Carolina has now wasted two high draft picks in two years and they still don't have a franchise QB.

I say let it play out and trust the guys in charge. We have become so accustomed to Dan and Vinny trying to fill all the holes on the team in one offseason that its hard to understand what "rebuilding" really is.

I was intriqued by picking one of the project QB's availible in later rounds just to see if we could get a diamond in the rough. However, like most, I just didn't see "that guy" worthy of us hanging our hat on as a franchise "QB". So, I'm actually glad we didn't get a QB for the sake of getting a QB. It's awesome having a GM and coach who can show some restraint.

That being said, I don't think we'll go into the season with Beck or Sexy Rexy starting at QB, I just have a guy feeling there's some cloak and dagger **** going on and we have someone in the cue to come in and lead this team. And OBTW, I haven't ruled McNasty out yet either.

I would not be opposed to having #5 behind center next season. I'm willing to give him a mulligan. If Rex can be an expert at Kyle's offense after one year of being a backup, Donovan should get the same respect after getting thrown to the wolves. But, can we bring him back from a financial standpoint? I thought that was the reason behind having the out in his contract extension after last season.

I don't know of any potential FA that really excites me. I guess we could get Carson Palmer, Rexy, and Delhomme and see if we can set some kind of historic record for the most INT's in a season.

Breaking News...

There was not one single QB in this years draft worth higher then a round 4. Unfortunately, for the smart teams, they were gone by then.

exception: ryan mallett but he doesnt fit our offense.

Seriously people. I cant remember a worst draft class for the QB position.

Rec'd

Agree 100%

+1

You get the idea.

A possibilityis that the only QB forth of a draft pick fos shanny was Locker. When he was gone at 8th pick they went with plan B. Just stay with Beck/Grossman this year and work on other team's needs. We are in a rebulding phase so they know they'll need 2-3 years before been ready to compete. This giive you the advaantage to wait for the QB you think is whorth of an high pick.

McNabb would be the obvious and easiest decision if we were trying to win. He's under contract, he's a veteran, and he's been in the system a year.I don't understand those who say we are shopping for a veteran QB. Why??? That would be the dumbest decision in the world to lease a used car when you already bought a perfectly good used car last year! We'd be making the same mistake we made last year by trading Campbell and trading for McNabb.

Let's run with the car analogy. Imagine you buy a used car but after running it a few months you find the engine is badly worn and not pulling like it should with a lot of misfiring and even worse it just does not suit your driving style. You want it to have a tune up and mess around with the suspension but the mechanic tells you the car just can't be changed - it is what is.

Meanwhile you need to get to work with a car that suits your needs. So you put the car you have up for sale knowing you will get a lot less for it than you paid and start looking for a replacement. Now you want to get the purchase right this time, so while you look for the long term car you need a short term rental.

That's pretty much where we are.

Archived