Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pinch me, but is this 1981 all over again?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Most Effective Energy Drink ?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Most Effective Energy Drink ?

• Rockstar
    • Monster
    • Red Bull
    • Full Throttle
    • No Fear
    • Rip It
    • Amp
    • Redline
    • NOS
    • (Other) Engery Drink
    • "5 Hour" Energy Shot
    • (Other) Energy Shot

If I didn't know better, I'd think I'd been magically transported back in time in my sleep to 1981 and my youth, to the start of the greatest era in this franchises history; such has been the refreshing, and by no means awesome, change from the norm this draft. For the living legend Joe Gibbs read the HoF headed Mike Shanahan, For the great Bobby Beatherd read the Redskin trough and through Bruce Allen. And for complete, incompetent oafs for decades in the FO now read a professional football outfit doing things the right way again.

Seriously, what just happened the past three days? We're supposed to flitter away draft picks and pick the latest shinny things that will bring in revenue sales. Not enter a draft with 8 picks, and extend it to 13 before day two is even out with 4 trades DOWN! To get MORE picks! Don't these clowns know the rules? If you trade drat day picks, you trade UP! (See shinny new money makers.). Joking aside, how freaking awesome has the last few days been? 5 trades, 4 of which were trade's down, for 12 total players? Are you KIDDING me? Is this REALLY the Washington Redskins?

I started this draft with high hopes of finally snagging a franchise QB, confident Jake Locker was our #1 target. Then the darn Titans decided otherwise, and I was left pissed and screaming at my screen words that would make a docker blush. But then the men with the plan stepped into action. Having lost out on what I believe was our main target, they didn't do the Vinny thing and panic into grabbing Gabbert who they obviously didn't rate that high; and not only started the trade back merry-go-round, but addressed major needs along the way. The pick of a top character guy with our top pick in Kerrigan, having moved down to snag an extra high pick, eased the anger over the fricking interfering hicks from TN, and filled a major need into the bargain. Day two rolled around, and after addressing another major need with a big ass dude that can be a fit at NT or DE, we then continue the trade theme. Now I must profess I was initially a little perturbed by this, given a lot was for lower end picks (I'd of preferred the NE mantra of garnering future draft, higher round picks to continue the re-build with better quality next year); but the men with the plan had it all under control, and removed those doubts with the 3rd round STEAL of a guy who could well of gone in the late 1st/ 2nd round in a different year. The nine picks today have been just gravy. My only ? would be Dejon Gomes. But hey, ANYTHING has to be better than Kareem "I would tackle but I might get hurt" Moore. We essentially took the 10th pick in the draft and turned it into 5, that's FIVE, picks. (A 1/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6 and 7. We gave an extra 5th to Houston in the Helu trade.).. How freaking awesome is that? That's magic and then some.

Even the aforementioned Helu trade heartens you as we've been crying out for an explosive back with the ability to take it to the house for years. Throw Royster in that mix too. If there's one thing Coach Mike specializes in, it's finding unheralded backs and turning them into productive monsters. Heck, he drafted Torrain who's now our #1 back in Denver. From the lower rounds he's taken Mike Anderson (6th round- 2 times 1,000 yrd. + seasons); Terrell Davis (6th Round- 4 times 1,000 yrd. + seasons); and Olandis freaking Gary (4th Round- One 1,000 yrd. + season.). Throw in Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis taken in the 2nd round, with 3 1,000 yard + seasons between them under him, and the dude knows a thing or two about backs.

Who knows how ANY of these picks will pan out, let alone the 6 taken in the last two rounds. (Which makes sense to go BPA rather than "anyone" just for the sake of need. No need to freak out at flyers taken back here. Camp competition never hurt anyone. From such things "diamonds in the rough" are found. And we still got some real value on a few of the last day guys projected to go higher.). But the key word here is "numbers." The more bodies you have, the more chance you have of one of them making it. An even better policy during a re-build,

Maybe now this will convince all those of you out there that argued with me and others until you were blue in the face that picking up McNabb and Brown et all for picks wasn't a re-build for the future, and it was more of the same. (You all know who you are. No need to mention names.).

And if this draft hasn't shown you the intent, look no further than the current roster and consider the following young players who I'd personally keep around:

Terrance Austin; Brandon Banks; Kevin Barnes; Selvish Capers; Eric Cook; Fred Davis; HB Blades; James Davis; Robert Henson; Chris Horton; Jeremy Jarmon; Malcolm Kelly; Nick Sunberg; Ryan Torrain; Keiland Williams, Trent Williams and Darrel Young.

That's 17 players aged 26 or under. Without the influx of the 12 from this draft. And the 9 in yellow have all either been drafted or acquired by the men with the plan, Coach Mike and Bruce. The turnaround in player personnel in a little over a year is astounding. We've gone from an ageing, run of the mill roster to hungry, talented young guys and vets with a good few years left in the tank. Tell me again they aren't building this the right way from the ground up for the long term?

BTW, out of the great first draft for Coach in '81, we landed all time Redskin greats Charlie Brown, Clint Didier, Darryl Grant, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley and Mark May. 6 legends from 12 picks. If we get even a third of that from this crop, we'll be a very privileged bunch indeed.

All we need now is to pick up a QB in FA and this coming season might exceed the limited expectations we hold for it .....

Who knows how this draft will grade out. But after all the changes made in year one, and now this refreshing new draft strategy to top it off ..... man is it freaking AWESOME to have our Redskins back.

Yup, it feels like 1981 all over again.

Hail.

Redskins 1981 Draft

1 1 20 20 Mark May T Pittsburgh

2 3 13 69 Russ Grimm C Pittsburgh

3 4 7 90 Tom Flick QB Washington

4 5 8 119 Dexter Manley DE Oklahoma State

5 5 21 132 Gary Sayre G Cameron

6 6 10 148 Larry Kubin LB Penn State

7 8 8 201 Charlie Brown WR South Carolina State

8 9 10 231 Darryl Grant G Rice

9 10 9 257 Phil Kessel QB Northern Michigan

10 10 19 267 Allan Kennedy T Washington State

11 11 8 284 Jerry Hill WR North Alabama

12 12 10 314 Clint Didier TE Portland State

Now can you imagine an ES being around back then?

If it is, I wouldn't know it lol. But, if it is, I am sitting back and enjoying this experience. What's funny or sad, depending how you look at it, I am looking forward to the next draft lol. This draft was refreshing as I have never experienced anything similar. Vinny flirted with it but then we F'd it up with Devin, Malcolm, and Sleepy. Though, Sleepy has turned out ok, in hindsight we sure didn't need a second starting caliber TE. Hopefully Malcolm duct tapes his knee good enough this season to get a read on his worth as a 2nd round WR. Devin Thomas was just an abortion of a draft pick. Who knows, so might this entire 2011 draft class. We certainly do not know for sure until we get a few seasons under them. But, I do know one thing, it certainly feels like a step in the right direction.

If this is, I will certainly enjoy the ride.

I don't get it. '81 marked a draft where multiple offensive and defensive lineman all became studs, including a TE (aka: Trench Warriors). Here in '11 we have a barnum and bailey WR and RB fest. Hopefully, maybe the first two selections for the defense live up to their draft slot. I hope. Still appreciate your optimism, though.

Hate those bloody titans.

But I really liked the fact that we had a ton of picks. It made for a great draft to watch and I remember Adam Shefter saying this was the first time the redskins had a pick in every round since god knows when.

A couple more years of this and we'll be set...

I don't get it. '81 marked a draft where multiple offensive and defensive lineman all became studs, including a TE (aka: Trench Warriors). Here in '11 we have a barnum and bailey WR and RB fest. Hopefully, maybe the first two selections for the defense live up to their draft slot. I hope. Still appreciate your optimism, though.

The overall feeling of change and things starting to get done the right way. Lead by men who know what their doing. This franchise is slowly awakening again.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

I'm pinching you. :)

Lol. Thanks man. But it still feels GREAT!

Hail.

Well, we did start 0-5 before finishing 8-8.

Especially with the uncertainty of when the lockout will end; this franchise will be lucky to win 8 games. More than likely we are staring at a 6-10 season or worse and there is no guarantee that Synder will be patient.

Its the same concept but different philosophy.. Gibbs and Bethard went O-line and D-line in that draft, hitting home runs on Manley, Grant, Grimm and May. Shanny and Allen went D-line and skill position(RB,WR). The reason that 81 draft turned into a SB team real fast is because they were built from the trenches.

Well, we did start 0-5 before finishing 8-8.

Especially with the uncertainty of when the lockout will end; this franchise will be lucky to win 8 games. More than likely we are staring at a 6-10 season or worse and there is no guarantee that Synder will be patient.

The 11' squad will be 4-12 without McNabb, Rogers, McIntoch,Portis, or Moss. Because not only have we failed to address the O-line but we are trying to find our new playmakers which takes time. The defense should be improved but it wont win us games.

People have to accept the fact that we are entering another throw away year.

What we're doing is great, but it's what we should have done last year.

I'm all for it!

We don't need a franchise QB now.

I'm totally okay with this. I'm not expecting a winning season this year. As long as we see constant improvement and effort, I'll be okay. It's going to take awhile for us to be competitive again.

I did not want Jake Locker either. I was surprised we traded the 10th pick when Gabbert was there. I like Kerrigan and hope he can make an impact like Orakpo. Have to scratch my head if Dejon is a safety though. Hope Jarvis Jenkins can plug the middle. Most late rounders don't make the squad but maybe the competition will bring out the best in all and we can move forward with some youth. The Giants and Eagles helped themselves as usual so we are in for a long season if we don't do well in free agency. Will have a better idea after actually seeing these guys perform. HTTR

Archived