Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Redskins Pick Jarvis Jenkins With the 41st Pick (2011 NFL Draft Video)

skinofwar

Yeah and Vernon Golston did like 35 reps.........With grand total of like 2 sacks in 4 seasons

When they start giving points in games for bench press reps Ill take it more serious

Sorry but 17 reps for a Dlineman is pathetic. I hope I am wrong but 17 was the lowest put up by any Dlineman at the combine. I mean rock bottom. Not a single Dlineman with less.

Again I think he is a solid player and a good value pick with lots of intangibles but this still has to be a question mark.

I'm iffy on this pick. This guy had problems with his 225 reps, a bad 40 time, and there are questions if he can be a 3 down lineman. All of that speaks towards work ethic, health, and dedication. He has the talent to be a good 3-4 DE (not a nose tackle) but he won't do anything if they can't find a nose tackle.

I don't believe that he has any work ethic or dedication problems.

I've actually heard good things about him as an off-the-field guy.

I'd say he's just not physically developed is all. Clemson has one of the worst nutrition and training programs out of the athletic programs in the ACC. Just terrible.

(which is a big part of why Clemson cranks out DL to the NFL- they're all previously highly rated recruits and very talented guys who can get by in college on their raw talent and great coaching with terrible conditioning/nutrition, while Clemson's OL generally suck since they don't have the same level of talent there to overcome the program issues)

Get Jenkins in a real NFL training program with Philip Daniels and some other guys on our DL, and he'll improve.

You have to wonder wtf Clemson is doing down there to have this much talen and suck every single year.

There's nothing to wonder with Clemson.

They recruit like mad (and some say, with $$$) but they never go anywhere because their head coaches have been Tommy Bowden and now Dabo Swinney. And their OCs are always terrible.

Kevin Steele, their DC, is one of the best college DCs and defensive recruiters in the country and that's why you saw a bunch of Clemson defensive names on the board tonight.

2007 Season

Played as a first-year freshman in 2007, who will be a factor on the defensive front for years to come … played 100 snaps in 10 games as a reserve … missed the Virginia Tech, South Carolina, and Auburn games … had a sack in his first career game on national television against #19 Florida State; he played just three snaps in that game, but he had an impact … had two tackles in 23 snaps against Furman and two tackles in just six snaps at Georgia Tech … played 13 snaps and had a tackle in the win over Wake Forest … one of eight freshmen to play at least 100 snaps in 2007.

2008 Season

Ninth in the ACC in tackles for loss per game in league contests; he had nine in eight ACC games … had a team-tying-high 10 tackles for loss and two sacks … had 36 tackles (30 first hits) … 10th on the team in tackles … had a season-high six tackles in 37 snaps against #18 Boston College … had five tackles, two tackles for loss, and one sack against N.C. State … had five tackles and two tackles for loss apiece against Maryland and #21 Wake Forest … had two tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss at #24 Florida State … had four tackles and a sack against Duke and added three tackles at Virginia … blocked an extra-point attempt against N.C. State, the first by a Tiger since 1995

2009 Season

Jenkins was an honorable mention All-ACC selection as a defensive tackle in 2009. He had 69 tackles, tops on the team among defensive linemen, and he added 11 tackles for loss. Jenkins was a big reason Clemson ranked in the top 25 in the nation in seven different defensive categories last year, including total defense and scoring defense.

2010 Season

First-Team All-ACC defensive tackle … has 51 tackles, nine tackles for loss, a sack, 16 quarterback pressures, and two blocked placekicks in 495 snaps in 11 games (11 starts) … tied for second on the team in tackles for loss … had nine tackles, three tackles for loss, and a sack against North Texas … blocked an extra point against #16 Miami (FL) … had 10 tackles against Georgia Tech … had nine tackles at Boston College … had eight tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, and a blocked field goal against #23 N.C. State; he earned team special teams player-of-the-game honors.

Career Notes

Has 164 tackles, 31 tackles for loss, five sacks, 31 quarterback pressures, and four blocked placekicks in 1,566 snaps over 48 games (37 starts) in his career … a big reason Clemson has had a strong defense each of the last four years … three-year starter who has started each of the last 34 games he has played in; he missed the Presbyterian College game in 2010 with an injury, the only game he has missed the last three years … Clemson's career leader in blocked kicks … in his third year as a starting defensive tackle.

What this guy is going to do is occupy two blockers so that our linebackers can make plays. He says he does pretty good with double teams and doesn't mind doing the dirty work. Kind of the anti Haynesworth.

I think if he can improve his strength and speed he should be a good solid run stuffing defensive end. I don't see him turning in sack numbers. The good thing is that strength can be improved but you can't make a guy talented that isn't.

No comments to my earlier posts on JJ...Earlier today, I was saying I hope the Skins trade down their second (#41), and get Jenkins in the 3rd. I had no idea they were looking at him for a 2nd rounder, but I like this pick. He impressed big time during the Senior Bowl, and has been a steady and reliable contributor for Clemson for four years (improving each year). In short, I don't see Jenkins being a dominating Pro Bowl type player, but I can envision him being a great role player, under the radar type player for the next decade or so.

Could we just stop day-dreaming about what this defense could be if it were a 4-3?

It stopped being productive a long time ago. The 3-4 is here to stay. And Shanahan will be here long enough, and have enough drafts, to make going back to the 4-3 just as much a pain.

It's hard to not dream about it. This defense would be sick nasty as a 4-3.

I had a feeling about J. Jenkins early today:

If Jarvis Jenkins is around, he could be some much needed young blood on the D-Line. He impressed at the Sr. Bowl, and was on Chan Gaily's squad, so Buffalo has their eye on him, but if we can maybe move one of the 2nd round picks down in exchange for a 3rd, he may be there for us.

It's hard to not dream about it. This defense would be sick nasty as a 4-3.

Sure. But we're not going back to a 4-3, so it accomplishes nothing. Not that I'm trying to control the discussion, it just seems pointless.

I had a feeling about J. Jenkins early today:

Nice call!

I love the Jenkins pick, and it looked like the skins pulled the trigger immediately, I'm quite sure we had trade interest at 41 considering we traded out of all of our later 2nd round picks. So obviously the FO think very highly of this guy, i trust they made the right choice.

I love this pick ... being a Tiger alum, I've had the opportunity to follow this guy's career. He is a solid player with a high motor. Consistently takes on double teams and gets good pressure pressure. This dude can hold his own, and some in the trenches. I feel kind of bad for Bowers slipping, but the fact that JJ was taking double teams all year long also allowed Bowers the freedom to rush the passer the majority of the time.

Most of the negative comments about him are coming from rival ACC fans or folks that don't know much about him, or know that we've underachieved for close to 15 years. This guy was a stud at Clemson and he was defintoely one of the best players on the field. They may say DE, but I see him at NT and putting about 10-20 more lbs of strength on him. Re-watch the UNC/Clemson game from last year, he was blowing their OL up even with double teams.

My glasses may tinted a bit orange, but in the back of my mind I thought he would be a great fit as a NT on 1st/2nd downs and could slide down to DE in our nickel packages. Welcome Jarvis to redskins nation, so glad to have you with us ... now let's get James Davis in gear for the upcoming season.

Deandre McDaniel will also be a steal for anyone who takes him, he had a down year #'s wise ... but that guy is has sick ball hawking skills and is a solid tackler.

Jarvis Jenkins has a high motor and will give it everything till the whistle blows. I think this is a perfect fit and he could be contributing to this defense very soon! HAIL!

This is kinda a wild card pick for me. I don't really know much about him and his draft reports aren't exactly sparkling. Then again, he could be a guy who grows into the position. It is hard to say. Certainly, the focus on the first day was to improve the front 7, which they did, tho we still need to find a NT, since it looks like this guy isn't going to be that.

Out of all the picks so far, this one does worry me the most. I think we reached a bit on this one. I think we could have easily got him at 49 and could have used this pick to trade back instead.

By the way Destino, LOVE the sig! Samurai Champloo FTW

Out of all the picks so far, this one does worry me the most. I think we reached a bit on this one. I think we could have easily got him at 49 and could have used this pick to trade back instead.

By the way Destino, LOVE the sig! Samurai Champloo FTW

Everything I've read has said that the Giants would have taken him with their next pick...so it wasn't that much of a reach, even if he could have still been there 8 picks later. I mean, we then went on to trade back like 3 more times with the other 2nd...so I don't think you can complain about not getting value with Jenkins, when the Giants would have taken him very soon. And who knows if we would have had the same trade-back opportunities with #41, rather than #49? Its weird how that can work.

Was not real thrilled w/ this pick. Felt that there were other DL on the board who were better players. I also feel that Jenkins is not much better then the guys we already have. Basically I was hoping to get a starter in the second, and I feel that Jenkins will not be a starter next year. But I will wait a year, before I say this was a mistake. He might surprise me.

I also hope that Kerrigan is the real deal. I think he is, but will have to wait and see.

In my opinion, the one big knock on Shanny is that he really hasn't been the kinda coach who can get the best out of each player. He has to have his kind of guys, and it seems that his kind of guys are not the best athletes but rather hard workers/overachievers. I feel that it is hard to build a great team nowadays without elite athletes. Belicheck and Tomlin are good examples of coaches who can get the best out of their players. Don't get me wrong, you do need hard workers, but you can't field a whole team w/ overachievers.

Didn't/don't know much about him (until I read some of the posts), So I'll say This is wait and see pick for me. I think he can contribute as part of the DL rotation, but will need to get stronger. I am just glad that for the second year in a row we are drafting fat guys early!!!! Something we have been relucant to do over the last decade or so.

Really hope Shanny and the rest of you are right about this pick.

I was surprised that we did not pick up Stephen Paea, but guess I was thinking more of the NT position and he is playing DE.

Any other reasons for picking up Jenkins over Paea?

Thanks

If he is is going to play DE why are so many people talking about him as a solution to our NT issues? 17 Reps for a Dlineman is horrible. Hankerson did 14. LOL

No joke... I bench 225 16 times... This guy is ONE rep stronger than I am? (I'm 200 lbs.)

I think we all ready found our nose tackle. Anthony Bryant is your man. Put Jenkins next to him and Carriker and you have your monsters up front. Rak on one side and Kerrigan on the other ,Fletch and Perry Riley in the middle, I say look out. We will probaly need to pick up a FA for no hands at corner but I'm sure we can get some value there. Mr Landry and whoever at safeties, top 5 defense

I think we all ready found our nose tackle. Anthony Bryant is your man. Put Jenkins next to him and Carriker and you have your monsters up front. Rak on one side and Kerrigan on the other ,Fletch and Perry Riley in the middle, I say look out. We will probaly need to pick up a FA for no hands at corner but I'm sure we can get some value there. Mr Landry and whoever at safeties, top 5 defense

I hope even more than having a top 5 D, that we can create a lot more turnovers. A LOT.

Is anyone else concerned with this pick with him maybe ending up being a situational (running downs only) type of player? I think it was a little high to take him but hopefully they are able to use him really well.

The guy is pretty good against the run having watched a lot of ACC football. We all know the Redskins need a lot of help against the run, but was this too early??

Is anyone else concerned with this pick with him maybe ending up being a situational (running downs only) type of player? I think it was a little high to take him but hopefully they are able to use him really well.

The guy is pretty good against the run having watched a lot of ACC football. We all know the Redskins need a lot of help against the run, but was this too early??

Yes, it was too early. :(

Archived