Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

And this season's starting QB is...

SexyRexy

I am curious as to what we are going to do at the quarterback position. While I feel as though having the sexy one start this year isn't that terrible of an idea, I was wondering what others are thinking.

-We could draft Dalton/Kirkpatrick/Mallett, but I just don't see any of these options as being quality starters in the NFL. Allowing Grossman to simply be a stop-gap QB this season seems to be the right move.

-We could go 2/2 and pick up Kolb. I pray we don't go this route and doubt that we will, but you never know with the Skins.

-As some have suggested we could sign Bulger. Please. Stick a fork in him. He is done in this league.

-McNabb could, all of the sudden, decide that he wants his money and is willing to give it another go. This would be great but I don't think there is any going back after the fiasco of last season.

My preferred option: Use our draft picks on players that fill holes for us. Let Grossman be the QB this season, unless we are able to pick up Matt Hasselbeck. He could provide us with veteran leadership and allow our WRs to grow and develop. Next year we can target a QB in free agency or through the draft, but right now let's just try and improve both sides of the ball.

I see us selecting Dalton at #49 overall. I HIGHLY doubt he is there at that pick though. Otherwise, I think we get RW at #49.

I think Dalton is going to the Bengals at #35. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders trade up to get Kaepernick somewhere at the top of the the round, unless the 49ers beat them to it. Looks to me like the Skins are taking a pass on the QB class this year unless Shanahan is pulling a Cutler surprise and will pick Mallett after ignoring him leading up to the draft. No matter what they do in the draft (or free agency) though, I think Grossman will be the starter at the beginning of the season.

I want Grossman to start for at least most of the season if not all of it. He knows the offense well, Kyle likes him a lot, and he actually IMO get a lot better after every game he played in. After that, I would like to have a rookie (Mallet) start once he gets the offense well.

Really.....how bad could it be.....let us count the ways:

Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Shane Mathews, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, and Donovan McNabb.

There's a dozen reasons not to worry.

OMG!

It was an "excuse" for Ramsey, Brunell, Campbell and I'll make it one for McNabb. It doesn't matter who the QB is if you can't protect the QB or manufacture a serious running threat. The Skins are 31st out of 32 teams in running backs hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. That stat alone points to a problem with the offensive line, not the play-calling, not the QB, not the WR's, and not the RB's. Until that problem is fixed, it makes no difference who the QB or RB is. Whether we draft one in today's second round, keep McNabb or Grossman or Beck, the Skins QB's will continue to spend more time watching a DL crunching them into Fedex turf than watching receivers get open. If Jamaal Brown is gone the only true starting OL is Trent Wlliams and he has no depth behind him. Getting a new QB without a serious upgrade to the OL is dooming the season to failure again.

No OL = no offense. No offense means < .500 winning percentage.

Upgrading the OL and keeping McNabb or Grossman or maybe even Beck as the starter will improve the winning percentage. Getting any new QB or running back without an OL upgrade will not.

If you absolutely positively need a new QB throw away a fifth round pick on the Alabama QB, but get some talent in the second round on OL. If sanity reigns, then next year's starting QB is one of the QB's already on the roster.

Really.....how bad could it be.....let us count the ways:

Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Shane Mathews, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, and Donovan McNabb.

There's a dozen reasons not to worry.

OMG!

You forgot Heath Shuler dammit!!

And luckily we had Colt Brennan with us, so we're safe at this position :)

Archived